WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Anyone play the harmonica?

Beerme

Retired...Time for a cold one!
Reaction score
Been thinking about buying one. Been watching Ozzy and Jack's World Detour and Ozzy will bring one out every so often and play. Pretty damn cool tunes. My Mom and Dad met in a band. Mom was a singer and Dad played the saxophone. Loved music all my life and have always wanted to take up an instrument. Any recommendations on a decent make harmonica and some tips about getting started?

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
I play a bit in jam sessions with my talented friends. I have played a bunch of different kinds. The hohner blues harp is my favorite. The wood body offers a faster response in my mind than the plastic bodied stuff. You can go down a rabbit hole with this like anything else and a full set isn't cheap. I would start with a C. Piano man and clutch electric worry are both in c. The blues are most commonly played in e a and g.

Lots of good you tube videos out there on techniques and practice exercises. It is pretty fun to sit in with my buddies but I am in no way a pro.

ATKpilot

Reaction score
Here ya go:
1616688411617.png

Beerme

Retired...Time for a cold one!
Reaction score
I play a bit in jam sessions with my talented friends. I have played a bunch of different kinds. The hohner blues harp is my favorite. The wood body offers a faster response in my mind than the plastic bodied stuff. You can go down a rabbit hole with this like anything else and a full set isn't cheap. I would start with a C. Piano man and clutch electric worry are both in c. The blues are most commonly played in e a and g.

Lots of good you tube videos out there on techniques and practice exercises. It is pretty fun to sit in with my buddies but I am in no way a pro.
Thanks for the info. Yes, getting ready to retire and think it would be fun to break it out when drinking with my buddies.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
My mentor plays and he’s pretty good let me see what he just got

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
Actually went to school with a guy who’s dad was a professional classical musician that played. His harmonica collection was crazy sorry that doesn’t help you any just thought it was cool.

spectras only

Reaction score
Take your pick. They're excellent

Royally PO'd

Reaction score
Bending is a form of doing a 1/4 or 1/2 note... Think the music in "Once upon a time in the West"...

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
Had a full set of Honers in the late ‘60’s...courtesy of the Canned Heat...

River Runnin

Reaction score
Chipped a tooth with the jews harp, made the harmonica sound funny, so I played the drums to make noise! :)