WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Anyone tried one of these on their Duramax?

SkyDirtWaterguy

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Chevy Silverado Duramax 2500 HD 4WD. Has anyone tried this out? I've heard it makes a nice difference in throttle response with the trucks.

LazyLavey

Reaction score
I put one on my 2.8l Mini Max... It does not give you any more power..... It enhances the signal to your electric throttle so it feels like you have more power.. It has optional settings from mild to wild..

Where stock may feel like you have to step hard on the throttle, this contraption will make your throttle more responsive and it does slightly help with the lag.....

Plug and play...... find your sweet spot and hide it under the dash

Banks and a few other companies also makes them...

Is it worth $250? heh... depends on you

Fun Times

Moderated
Reaction score
Does this device affect GM warranty status at all for general repairs and/or CA smog testings every two years?

sintax

Reaction score
Does this device affect GM warranty status at all for general repairs and/or CA smog testings every two years?

it shouldn't, all this device does is remap the curve of the throttle by wire sensor

its maybe easier to understand by checking out this chart...

Pedal-Commander-Grafhic.jpg

MonkeyButt70

Reaction score
AVOID - I had a bad experience with mine on a 2017 Ford F250 Diesel, it was taking over my throttle at different intervals, took it off and problem solved. My friends son had one on his Dodge 1500 Diesel and used it with cruise control, the commander took over and ran up the throttle. My advice do not buy.

DoughBallin14

Reaction score
Couple friends have the banks derringer one and they love it from what i can tell. I haven’t personally tried it on their trucks but they have had them for i wanna say a year or so.
I am old school and have a mostly tuneable no warranty truck haha

LB247XS

Reaction score
I have one on my 2018 Duramax 3500 I have it set on SPORT +1 my truck is an absolute freaking animal I love it

81Sprint

Reaction score
I have to clarify, I have the Banks pedal monster not the pedal commander. Same thing basically but you can't beat Banks products.

BigMike

Reaction score
I have pedal commander on my 2016 duramax and love it. My dad doesn’t have it on his 2021 duramax and he says my truck “feels” like it has more power even though his truck has more. When I buy my next truck, the pedal commander will be ordered with a day or two

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I run one on my raptor. Mine is much more responsive than the other guys who have raptors at work.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
My dad put the Banks one on his 2020 Duramax and loves it. He hated how it took so long to roll on the power on the on-ramps. Now he said if he has up too high it will spin them on the freeway when he goes to pass.

bonesfab

Reaction score
A buddy works there. Did one on a customers Raptor. He was happy with it.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Had a Pedal Commander on my Raptor. Moved it over to my 2021 F350 and it’s every bit as awesome. Changeable throttle response settings from mild to pretty wild. Like having more power without the mods or risks. Highly recommend

TimeBandit

Reaction score
Flooring the gas pedal should do the same thing for free.

All this does is increase the voltage at a smaller throttle input. So when you press the throttle 1/2 way the computer thinks you floored it.

Reminds me of a service bulletin we had on 1980 Mercedes turbo diesels, a new linkage for the throttle pedal that gave 1/2 throttle at 1/4 pedal depression.... sneaky.

DuttonDave

Your RDP Connection For Buick, GMC & Cadillac
Reaction score
My Buddy had one on his Ram 2500/ Diesel and he blew a head gasket !!!

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
My dad put the Banks one on his 2020 Duramax and loves it. He hated how it took so long to roll on the power on the on-ramps. Now he said if he has up too high it will spin them on the freeway when he goes to pass.
Tell him to put it Tow/haul mode when he drives on the freeway, it keeps the engine in the torquey sweet spot. Using the T/H mode on the freeway in slow traffic actually improved my fuel mileage as the truck is no longer lugging as slow speeds. Having it hang is gear takes a while to get used to, but it seems to eliminate most of the turbo lag.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Tell him to put it Tow/haul mode when he drives on the freeway, it keeps the engine in the torquey sweet spot. Using the T/H mode on the freeway in slow traffic actually improved my fuel mileage as the truck is no longer lugging as slow speeds. Having it hang is gear takes a while to get used to, but it seems to eliminate most of the turbo lag.
What year is your truck? I haven't driven his in traffic yet so I'm really curious how the 10 speed is in slow going traffic scenarios.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
I was going to put one on my Super Duty, but decided against it. Just don't like messing with stuff. My ideology is that the pretty smart engineer guys over at Ford must know what they are doing. With 1K LB of torque, that pedal lag is probably there so that you don't break shit. Just my 2cents.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Flooring the gas pedal should do the same thing for free.

All this does is increase the voltage at a smaller throttle input. So when you press the throttle 1/2 way the computer thinks you floored it.

Reminds me of a service bulletin we had on 1980 Mercedes turbo diesels, a new linkage for the throttle pedal that gave 1/2 throttle at 1/4 pedal depression.... sneaky.
How much does it cost to just push the pedal further down?

For me it's about 16 mpg down to 12.
It doesn't just change the voltage. That would result in the same position curve output signal to the throttle, just slightly more of it. The factory programming, my personal experience being with GM's, has a considerable lag in throttle response no matter how far you push the pedal. It only allows the truck to accelerate so quickly. I'd assume to help preserve drivetrain components. The pedal Commanders and the like change the curve of the pedal position to take away the lag off line. The graph above KINDA illustrates my point, but it the factory programming is much more like the Eco line above in seat of the pants feel.

I would suggest the Banks over the Pedal commander myself. Appears to be a little safer and more adjustment to it.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
What year is your truck? I haven't driven his in traffic yet so I'm really curious how the 10 speed is in slow going traffic scenarios.
Mine is an '11 with the 6 speed, but it's also got a 150hp tune on it.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Mine is an '11 with the 6 speed, but it's also got a 150hp tune on it.
Ahh ok. I've been told the 10 speed feels to be in the power much more frequently than the older transmissions. Maybe someone that has owned both on here can chime in though as I have not.

attitude

Reaction score
Save yourself some money an put your foot down more, these do not effect the performance of your vehicle at all. If you want your truck to be faster buy an actual tuner.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Save yourself some money an put your foot down more, these do not effect the performance of your vehicle at all. If you want your truck to be faster buy an actual tuner.
Wrong. The factory programming of the throttle position (not the pedal, but the actual blade) is such that the blade is slow to open regardless of pedal position, thus creating the lag. The pedal commander like products remove that lag and increase the speed of which the blade opens thus increasing acceleration. It does not give more overall power, but it allows the vehicle to be driven more like a cable driven throttle instead of the drive-by-wire nanny throttle programming from the factory.

attitude

Reaction score
Wrong. The factory programming of the throttle position (not the pedal, but the actual blade) is such that the blade is slow to open regardless of pedal position, thus creating the lag. The pedal commander like products remove that lag and increase the speed of which the blade opens thus increasing acceleration. It does not give more overall power, but it allows the vehicle to be driven more like a cable driven throttle instead of the drive-by-wire nanny throttle programming from the factory.
If you lined up two identical vehicles one with a pedal commander and one without there would be no difference in speed.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

It does not make the throttle blade move any faster. It just makes the blade move more relative to pedal travel. 66% pedal travel now = WOT for instance.

Your normal 20% throttle takeoff from a light is now actually 50% (or whatever the pedal commander translates it to)

The pedal commander is mental masturbation, but if you like how it feels, go for it.

attitude

Reaction score
How much does it cost to just push the pedal further down?

For me it's about 16 mpg down to 12.
Lol, my GF has averaged about 11 MPG since we bought her Yukon, now that it has a full tank of E85 I can’t wait to see what the average is…

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
It does not make the throttle blade move any faster. It just makes the blade move more relative to pedal travel. 66% pedal travel now = WOT for instance.
No, it opens faster. It does not just essentially shorten the throttle throw. It changes the CURVE of the throttle signal.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
This video for the Banks one shows the different position ramping rates in real time. You can see the Banks output signal increase and ramp up much quicker versus stock.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
No, it opens faster. It does not just essentially shorten the throttle throw. It changes the CURVE of the throttle signal.
That is what I said. It changes the curve. The throttle blade still travels at the same speed. You are telling blade to open further, sooner, because of the change to the throttle curve. That is it.

If you slammed your foot to the floor with and without a PC, the blade would take the same duration of time to open.

If you casually depressed the throttle to 50% like the guy does in the video there would be a difference in speed of the throttle blade because you are commanding more throttle for a given pedal movement.

Notice in the video the truck gets to WOT at like 2/3 of pedal travel.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
That is what I said. It changes the curve. The throttle blade still travels at the same speed. You are telling blade to open further, sooner, because of the change to the throttle curve. That is it.

If you slammed your foot to the floor with and without a PC, the blade would take the same duration of time to open.

If you casually depressed the throttle to 50% like the guy does in the video there would be a difference in speed of the throttle blade because you are commanding more throttle for a given pedal movement.

Notice in the video the truck gets to WOT at like 2/3 of pedal travel.
I never said it doesn't change the position of the throttle blade or that the blade reaches 100% before the pedal does. The video was illustrating the opening RATE relative to each other.

If the throttle doesnt open faster, then explain how when one puts foot to floor without any pedal signal modifications, its difficult to spin the tires and yet with the signal modifications it spins them right away? Foot push rate the same. And I'm not talking brake stand, I mean from a stop light.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I never said it doesn't change the position of the throttle blade or that the blade reaches 100% before the pedal does. The video was illustrating the opening RATE relative to each other.

If the throttle doesnt open faster, then explain how when one puts foot to floor without any pedal signal modifications, its difficult to spin the tires and yet with the signal modifications it spins them right away? Foot push rate the same. And I'm not talking brake stand, I mean from a stop light.

We are saying the exact same thing relative to the throttle curve. And that video explains exactly what it does, the video illustrates the changes to that curve.

If we both agree that the PC makes 0 extra HP, just put your foot on the floor faster, and you will achieve the same result as casually applying throttle with the PC.

The "under the curve" area yea the blade may be opening further or faster than stock because you have commanded it to do "more" with the modifications to the curve that the PC does.

As I said before, slam your foot to the floor with and without PC. The throttle blade opens at the same rate.

In the RC car racing there is adjustment on the transmitter for the throttle that does this exact same thing, it is called expo or exponential.

Last edited:

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
We are saying the exact same thing relative to the throttle curve. and that video explains exactly what it does. The video illustrates the changes to that curve.

If we both agree that the PC makes 0 extra HP, just put your foot on the floor faster, and you will achieve the same result as casually applying throttle with the PC.

As I said before, slam your foot to the floor with and without PC. The throttle blade opens at the same rate.
All I know is if were coming up the hill at the same time my foot will hit the floor in lightning speed.

I'm not getting owned by some Yaris. :) :)

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score

Your normal 20% throttle takeoff from a light is now actually 50% (or whatever the pedal commander translates it to)

The pedal commander is mental masturbation, but if you like how it feels, go for it.

It is a delay in the "throttle by wire".. you push the pedal and 5sec later it responds. All this does is make it like a cable throttle for quicker response instead of letting the ECU determine when the throttle blade opens in relativity to the pedal being pushed.

JUSTWANNARACE

Reaction score
We are saying the exact same thing relative to the throttle curve. And that video explains exactly what it does, the video illustrates the changes to that curve.

The "under the curve" area yea the blade may be opening further or faster than stock because you have commanded it to do "more" with the modifications to the curve that the PC does.

In the RC car racing there is adjustment on the transmitter for the throttle that does this exact same thing, it is called expo or exponential.

They absolutely will not open at the same rate. I actually ran into this in the early "throttle by wire" SXS's. The ECU determines when the blade will open on any throttle by wire.

So just slamming your "foot down farther" is not going to have the same reaction as sending instant signal from the pedal, through the ECU and to the TB.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
They absolutely will not open at the same rate. I actually ran into this in the early "throttle by wire" SXS's. The ECU determines when the blade will open on any throttle by wire.

So just slamming your "foot down farther" is not going to have the same reaction as sending instant signal from the pedal, through the ECU and to the TB.
It is a delay in the "throttle by wire".. you push the pedal and 5sec later it responds. All this does is make it like a cable throttle for quicker response instead of letting the ECU determine when the throttle blade opens in relativity to the pedal being pushed.

With a PC the ECU still determines the throttle blade position. The PC interrupts the signal from the pedal and in theory could tell the blade to open 100% at 1% TPS. It does not accelerate the speed at which the throttle blade operates, it just sends the command to move it sooner, but your foot is already faster than the throttle blade.. Like I said, slam the pedal to the floor as fast as you can, with and without a PC, the time to open is the same. Everything below that is what the PC changes, but at the end of the day, all it does is give you more throttle opening at a given pedal travel and make the vehicle feel more responsive.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score

Forget it. Its another argument with LOF he will never NOT argue his point to the absolute bitter end. Doesn't matter what others have seen, witnessed or experienced.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
For anyone who is not a know-it-all...

It's simple: Giving a vehicle more "gas" doesn't make it respond faster
This is about THROTTLE RESPONSE not power

The Pedal Commander will basically bypass the ECU in the vehicle. The controller is designed to take the information right from the accelerator pedal position sensor and compile it in a high speed controller circuit. It also slightly advances that number and then sends it directly to the ECU. By sending the information to the computer this way, a couple of checks that the engine computer will make can be bypassed before sending the signal to open the throttle plate. With this controller, you have 4 different programming options; however, the throttle response timing will be noticeably faster.

Does a throttle controller use more fuel?
Not quite. In some vehicles when you put your foot down on the accelerator pedal, not much happens - or it happens slowly. ... For those towing, throttle controllers can be quite useful when you drive off as they will get the vehicle up to speed more easily so you'll be using less fuel and less motor strain.

Does a throttle controller Make your car faster?
Yes, the throttle controller makes your car faster, but does not increase the horsepower. You will however be able to access the horsepower faster . This is because the throttle controller will help you control your car's power and acceleration.

Do throttle controllers improve performance?
It can noticeably improve the rate of acceleration, and response time of many cars with electronic throttle control, making them feel significantly less sluggish. This is done by completely bypassing a significant portion of the car's computer system, and doing the necessary calculations using a custom processor.

Does a throttle controller void warranty?
Pedal Commander will not void your vehicle's warranty, and it does not flag your ECU so it is completely undetectable by dealerships.

What does the PedalMonster do?
PedalMonster is the first OBD-II connected throttle sensitivity controller for gas and diesel vehicles. In basic terms, it changes the pedal position in relation to the throttle to get rid of that mushy feel. In many of today’s cars and trucks, auto manufacturers have implemented what’s known as “throttle enrichment delay.” This is a fancy term for sponge pedal. Why would manufacturers want your car or truck to have a pedal that feels like your stepping on a wet sponge? If manufacturers gave you the immediate response you wanted, you’d likely use more fuel launching at green lights and squirting around town. In theory, by making the pedal input slower to react, it saves fuel. But the byproduct is a boring driving experience.

Last edited:

JUSTWANNARACE

Reaction score
With a PC the ECU still determines the throttle blade position. The PC interrupts the signal from the pedal and in theory could tell the blade to open 100% at 1% TPS. It does not accelerate the speed at which the throttle blade operates, it just sends the command to move it sooner, but your foot is already faster than the throttle blade.. Like I said, slam the pedal to the floor as fast as you can, with and without a PC, the time to open is the same. Everything below that is what the PC changes, but at the end of the day, all it does is give you more throttle opening at a given pedal travel and make the vehicle feel more responsive.

Do you have the data on that? Because TBW only does the commands programmed. So if it takes a stock ECU, let's say 3sec, To allow the stock butterfly from the time the ecu sends the controlled signal of WOT. But the PC drops that signal to 1.5 seconds, how is that not increasing the speed of the throttle blade? And if the PC is signaling the blade to open 100% at 1% throttle position youd have alot if blown up rigs from running lean as hell!! Its like years ago when we put diodes in line of the TBW to increase the signal to the ECU, so that the throttle response would increase, the quicker movement of the butterfly but would still allow the TPS to signal the injectors for the correct amount of fuel needed.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Do you have the data on that? Because TBW only does the commands programmed. So if it takes a stock ECU, let's say 3sec, To allow the stock butterfly from the time the ecu sends the controlled signal of WOT. But the PC drops that signal to 1.5 seconds, how is that not increasing the speed of the throttle blade? And if the PC is signaling the blade to open 100% at 1% throttle position youd have alot if blown up rigs from running lean as hell!! Its like years ago when we put diodes in line of the TBW to increase the signal to the ECU, so that the throttle response would increase, the quicker movement of the butterfly but would still allow the TPS to signal the injectors for the correct amount of fuel needed.
I didn't say it did any TPS translation. It is just a commanding a throttle position via the pedal. You could turn the pedal into an on/off switch if you wanted to with the PC (in theory).

What I'm saying is that the throttle blade has a finite limit of speed to open. You can command it to move further or quicker up to that "top speed" with a slower pedal movement with less travel. - that is all the PC does, and that is all I'm saying. It will take out lag and softness of the throttle in casual driving. In casual driving you are not moving your foot faster than the throttle blade can go. Or you can just command more throttle with your right foot more aggressively.

If you are racing for instance and using heavy and quick throttle inputs via your foot, it won't do much of anything. In fact you will have less throttle control on the upper half of the pedal travel, because you have modified the throttle curve.

I will agree that some DBW systems really suck and the PC helps with feel, but it is not doing any magic being plugged inline to the throttle pedal, it is just modifying the signal, but not beyond the mechanical limits of the throttle body.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
….but if your diesel truck has a Pedal Monster and it’s on a treadmill….

Last edited:

Your ad here

Reaction score
Anyway to install these on people so they respond faster when they get a kick in the ass?

JUSTWANNARACE

Reaction score
I didn't say it did any TPS translation. It is just a commanding a throttle position via the pedal. You could turn the pedal into an on/off switch if you wanted to with the PC (in theory).

What I'm saying is that the throttle blade has a finite limit of speed to open. You can command it to move further or quicker up to that "top speed" with a slower pedal movement with less travel. - that is all the PC does, and that is all I'm saying. It will take out lag and softness of the throttle in casual driving. In casual driving you are not moving your foot faster than the throttle blade can go. Or you can just command more throttle with your right foot more aggressively.

If you are racing for instance and using heavy and quick throttle inputs via your foot, it won't do much of anything. In fact you will have less throttle control on the upper half of the pedal travel, because you have modified the throttle curve.

I will agree that some DBW systems really suck and the PC helps with feel, but it is not doing any magic being plugged inline to the throttle pedal, it is just modifying the signal, but not beyond the mechanical limits of the throttle body.

It actually does help with throttle response and acceleration. Have you ever watch a computer monitor say with a MOTEC system or dynojet compared to the throttle response of a stock ECU. the blade in the throttle body does actually "move quicker". Like I said if it takes a stock ECU from pedal to butterfly, to go from idle to wot, a 3 second delay and a PC takes it from idle to wot in a 1.5sec delay. How is that not opening the butterfly quicker? The TPS has to know the position of the butterfly (hence why most hook to the butterfly shaft) throttle position is relative to injector signal and fueling. So the pc has to increase the "speed" of the throttle body "opening". It cannot just fake a 100% TPS when the butterfly is only say 30% open. It doesnt work like that. The AFR would be off the charts and shit would scatter in a hurry!