WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Anyone try to buy a new dually lately? Crazy stuff.

goshen82

Reaction score
We were looking for an f450 a few months ago some dealers wanted 15 to 20k markup on them. Ended up finding a 2021 king ranch 4x4 used for 80k with 30k Miles and got it. Best deal I found by 10k at the time I was searching for them. Truck prices are crazy

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Its a huge issue with fleet operators, client of mine has around 100 trucks they lease, they are all coming up to get new ones, fully depreciated and they can't find the replacements.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
This is the one I have coming from Texas via CarMax, its a Longhorn edition, basically a big horn with some Texas badges, 2022 with 14k miles, friend got me the carfax and its one owner, no issues, see if it checks out when it gets here
Screen Shot 2022-07-09 at 11.15.26 AM.jpeg

satellitemike

Reaction score
This is the one I have coming from Texas via CarMax, its a Longhorn edition, basically a big horn with some Texas badges, 2022 with 14k miles, friend got me the carfax and its one owner, no issues, see if it checks out when it gets here
View attachment 1134623
Longhorn interiors are a nice step up if you like a western theme!

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
Actually it’s a Lone Star, it’s a Texas version of the Big Horn, same thing but with a Texas logo on the tailgate instead of big horn
How Is the summer going in the new lake house? Can’t be worse than the 116 high here tomorrow.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
How Is the summer going in the new lake house? Can’t be worse than the 116 high here tomorrow.
It’s awesome, low 90’s, but it cools down at night to the 70’s unlike havasu, yeah it’s humid but I prefer it over the 115 stuff. Our dock arrives Monday, can’t wait for that. It’s nice to enjoy holiday weekends now as well, we always avoided them in Havasu. The lake gets busy on the big weekends and the locals freak out, I look around and I’m like you call this busy? These pics were 4th of July!

5928B582-0EBE-4A98-934D-62D2679A9938.jpeg
15E6B9A1-92BA-4289-A4F0-FB47958A3488.jpeg
5FB6FC77-BAEA-47D7-95D9-E582F59C5483.jpeg

Attachments

• 77251009-C3D8-4DB2-8591-FD5F61973FC6.jpeg
    77251009-C3D8-4DB2-8591-FD5F61973FC6.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 16
  • 10DE5F7D-CB63-4ECC-BB70-5A9DA5AE0640.jpeg
    10DE5F7D-CB63-4ECC-BB70-5A9DA5AE0640.jpeg
    589.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 80542705-3A66-4FF3-8BC1-D6D278FFD168.jpeg
    80542705-3A66-4FF3-8BC1-D6D278FFD168.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Check to make sure it has the HO and the Aisin Trans. You could get a 3500 with std output and a 68RFE.

When you look under the hood the trans fluid dipstick needs to be on the right side. Those are 1/2 million mile transmissions plus you want 420/1075 TQ motor.

CSmith

Reaction score
There is a nice white limited dually on str8uptoytrader.com not sure if it's sold but might be worth a look.

Singleton

Reaction score
It’s awesome, low 90’s, but it cools down at night to the 70’s unlike havasu, yeah it’s humid but I prefer it over the 115 stuff. Our dock arrives Monday, can’t wait for that. It’s nice to enjoy holiday weekends now as well, we always avoided them in Havasu. The lake gets busy on the big weekends and the locals freak out, I look around and I’m like you call this busy? These pics were 4th of July!

View attachment 1134769 View attachment 1134770 View attachment 1134771
Awesome private cove you have.

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score
Looking to get a new dually, trying to find one is the first issue. Preference is Ram, and the new HO Cummins engine option. The RAM website lets you search for units on dealer lots around the country, started making some calls as I worked a radius away from our home. I gave up at 1000 miles. Those dealers that did have them were on average $10,000 over sticker, I only found about 10 available in a 1000 mile radius. If I order new dealers will sell at MSRP, but the wait is 4-6 months. Used market is ridiculous, its cheaper to order a new one versus getting a used one at this point.

Anyway, CarMax has one in Texas with 12,000 miles on it, 2022, options close to what I would have ordered, so I gave them $199 to ship it to the CarMax close to our house in Alabama. Wait and see how it checks out, pics look good but we all know how that can work out.
Well Walt, Anderson has 4 right now. But a bit of a drive for you. Msrp.
View attachment 1134623
850#tq or 1000#tq with aisin tranny?

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
So to confirm, the RAM dually to buy is the one that comes with the Asian tranny, and Cummings HO right?
I really haven't a clue. Perhaps ask someone at Carmax because they would never lie to a customer.

You just flip out the mirrors and go. Ask any Hotshot.

hallett21

Reaction score
quoted for obvious reasons 🤣🤣

Yes you want the Aisin, and the HO combo that’s in the 3500’s. I looked for months before finding my mega cab SRW setup due to it.
Only thing I don’t like is the fuel mileage lol. Other than that the truck could pull a house off the foundation.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Well Walt, Anderson has 4 right now. But a bit of a drive for you. Msrp.

850#tq or 1000#tq with aisin tranny?
No kidding, I checked it out, they do have some on their site, with the all important $1795 Desert Pro package lol. Cost to get it here kind of wipes out the msrp advantage and I don’t have the time before sturgis to get there and get one.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Really depends on what the owners intentions are with the truck, if you’re going to leave it stock, and want the strongest drivetrain available, HO/ Aisin. You will have a stout drivetrain with a slow shifting, non-tunable transmission that can handle a modest power increase, if you decide to delete or add power.

A lot of guys who know they are going to delete and tune- and don’t mind spending the money on a new transmission- prefer the SO/68RFE, as it is tunable, and stronger than the Aisin -ONCE BUILT-

Also, some guys who don’t tow heavy, all that often, prefer the 68, if the drivetrain and tires are left stock, they usually last, but there is always the occasional one that blows around 150k.

I’ve owned both, and prefer the Aisin.

Keep in mind, the Furd with 10 speed blows either trans/ powertrain outta the water. That being said, I prefer the simplicity of my HO/ Aisin rig.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Only thing I don’t like is the fuel mileage lol. Other than that the truck could pull a house off the foundation.
Hints why mine is sitting at the house in Havasu with weathertech window shades all around (these are epic btw, there is no light in the cab with them installed.). 🤣🤣

I’m rocking the van for the foreseeable future lol. The power combo is all you would ever need..

Attachments

• ABF06F86-E043-43CF-9852-A67DDE27F340.jpeg
    ABF06F86-E043-43CF-9852-A67DDE27F340.jpeg
    226.2 KB · Views: 29

hallett21

Reaction score
Really depends on what the owners intentions are with the truck, if you’re going to leave it stock, and want the strongest drivetrain available, HO/ Aisin. You will have a stout drivetrain with a slow shifting, non-tunable transmission that can handle a modest power increase, if you decide to delete or add power.

A lot of guys who know they are going to delete and tune- and don’t mind spending the money on a new transmission- prefer the SO/68RFE, as it is tunable, and stronger than the Aisin -ONCE BUILT-

Also, some guys who don’t tow heavy, all that often, prefer the 68, if the drivetrain and tires are left stock, they usually last, but there is always the occasional one that blows around 150k.

I’ve owned both, and prefer the Aisin.

Keep in mind, the Furd with 10 speed blows either trans/ powertrain outta the water. That being said, I prefer the simplicity of my HO/ Aisin rig.
I don’t know anything about the Ford 10 speed. Is it a stronger transmission than the Aisin?

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
I don’t know anything about the Ford 10 speed. Is it a stronger transmission than the Aisin?
I don’t think that it (the 10 speed) is stronger. But it definitely shifts better, and the drivetrain as a whole feels more powerful with the extra gears. From a stoplight, it’s a several truck gap to 75 mph.

I doubt that anything is stronger- with regard to breakage, than the HO/ Aisin. It is a medium duty drivetrain- and it feels like it. Loaded, it really shines. Empty, it drives like a medium duty drivetrain. Not nearly as quick to shift or as smooth as the 68 or 10 speed.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score

Also, some guys who don’t tow heavy, all that often, prefer
I don’t think that it is stronger. But it definitely shifts better, and the drivetrain as a whole feels more powerful with the extra gears. From a stoplight, it’s a several truck gap to 75 mph.

I doubt that anything is stronger- with regard to breakage, than the HO/ Aisin. It is a medium duty drivetrain- and it feels like it. Loaded, it really shines. Empty, it drives like a medium duty drivetrain. Not nearly as quick to shift or as smooth as the 68 or 10 speed.
At the end of the day I just can’t wait to drive around with my bro tow mirrors out.

hallett21

Reaction score
I don’t think that it is stronger. But it definitely shifts better, and the drivetrain as a whole feels more powerful with the extra gears. From a stoplight, it’s a several truck gap to 75 mph.

Oh I won’t win any drag races that’s for sure lol. But at the same time it accelerates the same (relatively) empty or loaded with 10-15k pounds in/behind it.

The Fords are fast that’s for sure!

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
I don’t think that it (the 10 speed) is stronger. But it definitely shifts better, and the drivetrain as a whole feels more powerful with the extra gears. From a stoplight, it’s a several truck gap to 75 mph.

I’ve driven both… agree with this. When pulling and stopping Aisin all day. Daily I’m indifferent but I don’t really use mine for that purpose. It was bought to tow our enclosed trailer, and the boat.. as well as for long haul drives to WA and MT. 2 years in and I’m still very happy with it.

81Sprint

Reaction score
My Dually was pretty thirsty. Best I ever saw was 14, towing was 10-11 plus it sucked down DEF like crazy. Great power even with the SO and the exhaust brake was flawless.

Singleton

Reaction score
My Dually was pretty thirsty. Best I ever saw was 14, towing was 10-11 plus it sucked down DEF like crazy. Great power even with the SO and the exhaust brake was flawless.
That is average “real” mpg numbers.
My F350 DRW gets the same mpg and drinks DEF when towing

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
That 68RFE in my Dave Smith 2018 2500 failed at 24k miles. I had Orange Coast Dodge in Costa Mesa rebuild it. Yep dealer rebuilt it as Stellantis does not offer factory remans. My only issue and I'm near 50k mi. I no longer drive it every day.

They should just put the Aisin in 2500's and 3500 and throw the 68RFE in the trash. I will have some custom built trans installed when the powertrain warranty is up.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
So to confirm, the RAM dually to buy is the one that comes with the Asian tranny, and Cummings HO right?
Yeah, they put the Asian transmission in 3500's, but only with the HO. It's worth looking at the bill sheet though to make sure the unit did get that tranny. The 68RFE I was told was a mini van transmission. I doubt it, but that's what I was told.

Patyacht

Reaction score
I 've had 3 RAM's. 2006 - 2500, 2013 - 3500 SRW both with 68REF's and now w 2018 Limited DRW w/ASAIN. No issues with any of them mechanically. Love the 2018 DRW 3500. Pulls like an Ox with 4:10 gears and 30K rating. Don't need the DRW now so thinking of getting a 3500 SRW again. Did hit a deer on right front so Carfax not perfect but does state minor damage. Anyway, I can't find what I'm looking for so if I sold 2018 I'd be without wheels. Crazy times right now. Guess you just wait it out or bite the bullet! lol

fast99

Reaction score
Curious, why the shortage on DRW pickups? Know they all are little hard to get but from reading here the pickups seem to be much harder to locate.

Last month a local Ford dealer had an inventory of DRW cab and chassis on the lot, probably around 10. Know the rear axles are narrower than a PU. Most are gone now but apparently they were able get a few. Are wider axles the issue?

Last edited:

Done-it-again

Reaction score
That is average “real” mpg numbers.
My F350 DRW gets the same mpg and drinks DEF when towing
on my 4k mile trip and 3k was towing. I used a tank and a quarter.... didn't think that was bad.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Curious, why the shortage on DRW pickups? Know they all are little hard to get but from reading here the pickups seem to be much harder to locate.

Last month a local Ford dealer had an inventory of DRW cab and chassis on the lot, probably around 10. Know the rear axles are narrower than a PU. Most are gone now but apparently they were able get a few. Are wider axles the issue?
We are seeing more truckers going the hot shot route vs a tractor. Not sure if there a correlation. But these new trucks can tow a lot and have less maintenance costs....

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
We are seeing more truckers going the hot shot route vs a tractor. Not sure if there a correlation. But these new trucks can tow a lot and have less maintenance costs....

What about the brakes??? How do they stop?

Did you refer them to the RDP towing police? Older trucks can tow a lot more than all the newer trucks.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
What about the brakes??? How do they stop?

Did you refer them to the RDP towing police? Older trucks can tow a lot more than all the newer trucks.
They don't stop going downhill in UT only......They hit runaway truck ramps..

Everywhere else they work just fine! and can prove it... Our load left Ontario Calif this past Saturday at noon and got to Charleroi PA on Wednesday

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
They don't stop going downhill in UT only......They hit runaway truck ramps..

Everywhere else they work just fine! and can prove it... Our load left Ontario Calif this past Saturday at noon and got to Charleroi PA on Wednesday

Mind blown.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Dave Smith Motors in Kellogg, Idaho. I've bought 2 RAM's from them. No complaints.
one for me so far. I'd do it again easily. The only issue is I bought a left over which sat in a vacant lot for a year. The by product is my batteries were toast in 2 years.
But hell I saved $10k. The drive back to So Cal was a 10+ on the scenic scale.