WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Anyone use the portable Traeger?

Qwiketz

Reaction score
I'm using a portable propane grill now and it's cheap, quick and easy and more compact. But I'm also a fan of pellet grills and thought I'd see if anyone has or does use one out at the river. The power issue is something that I'd have to deal with beyond the size.... Thoughts?

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
A small inverter would take care of the power issue. The draw is low. I have been looking at a few brands of small portable units for a while now. Problem is that my portable propane is actually a very good unit and paid for......

K-DOG

Reaction score
I have the small portable Traeger and it works great. Has decent grill size. Mine came with the inverter so I can run it off of a battery if I don’t have other power source.

cb5505

Reaction score
I have the portable traeger and have used it plenty of times camping and dry camping. It doesn’t seem to draw to much off my toyhauler at all. The only complaint I have is when u set it to a certain temp it usually rises a lot higher. So occasionally I open the lid and it will go down. Besides that I still love it

zbudman

Coors Light Strong
Reaction score
I have the tailgater model that I use several times a week. I also taking it when we go camping. Good size for anything I want to cook. Easy to move as well.

Reactions: DWC

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
I have a Traeger Ranger, use it all the time. I take it to the river when I camp and it works killer. Comes with a cast iron griddle which I use in the morning for potatoes, eggs, bacon, cheese, breakfast burritos etc. . . . and sometimes pancakes. As far as the temperature fluctuation is concerned, I agree . . . but from my experience it's caused by wind. Since it doesn't have a chimney, but features 'louvers' instead, the heated air inside is more prone to 'change-over', especially since it's small in size. If you face the front 'into' the wind, it helps . . . if you can provide a winbreak, even better. If the setting is on 'high', it's not as much of an issue, but if you are trying to do a 'low & slow' cook/ smoke it works much better out of the wind.

81Sprint

Reaction score
My Father in Law has the small portable one in his RV, loves it. His only complaint is it doesn't hold very many pellets.

kiethco

Reaction score
Costco sells them when they have the traeger road show. Couple hundred bucks, 200-300, comes with an invertor and a cover. It's called the Scout. I carry one in my RV. I took out the Weber Q and carry a Blackstone and the Traeger now.

sixdays

La Flama Blanca
Reaction score
I have a Traeger Jr (basically a tailgater) that I took the legs off of. Slides into the belly storage of my toy hauler and runs easily off of a 400w inverter. It has a decent sized hopper and I can pick it up without too much effort. It cooks way more food than the scout/ranger and I can also take it with me to the beach or BBQ’s where I want to contribute...

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
My wife’s set up, need to bolt on a small traeger, we roll it in and out of buggy trailer at camp
F464F571-E5D3-4CC9-9355-B6F66F2DC3C7.jpeg

Singleton

Reaction score
I have a Traeger Jr (basically a tailgater) that I took the legs off of. Slides into the belly storage of my toy hauler and runs easily off of a 400w inverter. It has a decent sized hopper and I can pick it up without too much effort. It cooks way more food than the scout/ranger and I can also take it with me to the beach or BBQ’s where I want to contribute...

Did the exact same thing. At home sits in the outdoor grill area. Easy to move, but the hooper handle just broke last trip.
the ranger was just too small for us when camping.