WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Anyone with one kidney?

dave29

Reaction score
Recovering from kidney cancer. Had one removed. Anyone have any do's and dont's?

Maw

Dont re Member
Reaction score
Yup, I was born that way. I have one issue and that's with a grossly oversized kidney stone that's beginning to cause problems inside. Along with there only being one it's a bit odd shaped which kept the stone from passing through as would normally be the case.

You'll be fine with just the one and listen to the urologist.

Cheers

airchair.rider

Reaction score
I had a kidney removed when I was in my 20's and I am 60 now. No problems until last year when I got kidney stones, had a couple of surgeries to remove the stones and all is good again. No special diet but I did learn cashews, almonds, peanuts and tea creates stones so now I stay away from them.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I had a kidney removed when I was in my 20's and I am 60 now. No problems until last year when I got kidney stones, had a couple of surgeries to remove the stones and all is good again. No special diet but I did learn cashews, almonds, peanuts and tea creates stones so now I stay away from them.

good to know because I live on iced tea and love cashews and peanuts

svlperry

Reaction score
I’ve actually had a transplant so I only got one kidney the things I suggest there’s no alcohol lots of water and nothing carbonated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Recovering from kidney cancer. Had one removed. Anyone have any do's and dont's?

Same here. RCC

Donts - aspartame /diet soda. Huge protein overloads.
I dont ride motorcycles or quads anymore for fear of damage to one left - this was a big deal to me as I grew up riding.
Mineral water or anything "sparkling" you get stones or blockage in the one you have left its a big deal.
Ay kidney stone creating food stay away from.

Do's monitor Createnine regulalry - keep blood pressure in check.

dave29

Reaction score
I forgot to add, they also removed a 6lb tumor from my abdomen at the same time which was caused by the kidney cancer.

PilotRyan

Reaction score
Passing a kidney stone is the worst thing I've ever had to do, and it was the only time I've ever been to the hospital in my entire life. If they give you measures to prevent them, absolutely 100% listen and obey. I literally puked multiple times from the pain.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
My son has one, it was removed when he was a week old since it was tumorous. He lives a normal life, hes been cautioned to not f up the one he has left, ie contact sports and heavy drinking, but other than common sense he has not had to adjust his lifestyle much at all. His one kidney grew to what they call a super kidney, oversized basically in response to one being removed.

ssc

Reaction score

I guess I am not special. Between visits to the oncologist and nephrologist and all the drugs they put you on, all is normal. Are you doing immunotherapy infusions and the pill? Perhaps you and I as well as Uncle Dave should compare notes. I will say that I gave up diet drinks long ago and basically drink lots of water. Need to watch the protein and BP.

Cheers, Steve

gqchris

Reaction score
I forgot to add, they also removed a 6lb tumor from my abdomen at the same time which was caused by the kidney cancer.

Man thats crazy Dave! Glad to hear you are on the mend.

Can I ask what your symptoms were? I have an MRI scheduled Monday for lower back pain that radiates to my left abdomen. I have always had back pain, and I had an MRI last year with no signs I guess of kidney issues. It was in my thoughts though to be related. Now the Ortho wants another MRI. Thanks!

ssc

Reaction score

Can I ask what your symptoms were? I have an MRI scheduled Monday for lower back pain that radiates to my left abdomen. I have always had back pain, and I had an MRI last year with no signs I guess of kidney issues. It was in my thoughts though to be related. Now the Ortho wants another MRI. Thanks!

Not Dave, but my only symptom was lower left side back pain. I thought I had pulled a muscle. At that time I was walking up to 6 miles every day, plus going to the gym at least 5 days a week. Was doing weights and lifecycle. I was trying to press 300 lbs and felt some pain in lower back. I was also riding my bike at the beach 2-3 times a week. I thought I was in great shape. After trying to lift too much weight, I gave the weights a rest for a couple of weeks but the pain was still there. Got to the point where I fell due to, what I thought was a severely pulled muscle. Then couldn't get up. Ended up in ER and after doing CT scan and or MRI, I don't remember, I got the unbelievable news. It was a real kick in the nuts.

Cheers, Steve

v6toy4x

Reaction score
Lay off the booze, sister had one removed because of kidney cancer in october 2018, she died 12 months later from kidney failure due to excessive drinking. The liver was still kicking but the kidney gave up the fight. The alcohol also prevented her from transplant eligibility.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Yup, I was born that way. I have one issue and that's with a grossly oversized kidney stone that's beginning to cause problems inside. Along with there only being one it's a bit odd shaped which kept the stone from passing through as would normally be the case.

You'll be fine with just the one and listen to the urologist.

Cheers

Really sorry to hear this please let me know if there is anything you guys need while dealing with this.

dave29

Reaction score

Looking back on this there were many signs but all the doctors missed them. 7 months prior to the surgery I developed a cough. It wouldn't go away. I had chest x-rays went to a Pulmonologist and had multiple tests and it stayed. My ears kept plugging up and I couldn't clear them. I was tired all the time and dizzy when I stood up. I lost 45lbs and was down to 168. My taste buds were working but nothing tasted good. I list my appetite. Finally one night I placed my hands on my stomach and I felt the tumor. It was the size of a football and I never even felt it. I never had any kidney pain or discomfort. I also had the chills and sweated in bed at night.
IMG_20201010_152735423.jpg
IMG_20201010_152735423.jpg

I immediately called my doctor, she scheduled a CT scan with contrast and that afternoon my kidney and tumor were lit up like the morning sky showing cancer. I then had a PET scan to see if the cancer traveled and fortunately it hadn't. I did research on surgeons and had help from my doctor and oncologist friends and ended up at University of Colorado cancer center for the surgery.
My surgeon is also an oncologist and checked all the margins and I was clear. No dietary restrictions, chemo, radiation, no pills however, I am following the advice of othereson the diet issue. I usually have a glass of wine at night and that might continue.
When I woke up after surgery, all the symptons were gone including the cough, GONE!

Last edited:

gqchris

Reaction score
Looking back on this there were many signs but all the doctors missed them. 7 months prior to the surgery I developed a cough. It wouldn't go away. I had chest x-rays went to a Pulmonologist and had multiple tests and it stayed. My ears kept plugging up and I couldn't clear them. I was tired all the time and dizzy when I stood up. I lost 45lbs and was down to 168. My taste buds were working but nothing tasted good. I list my appetite. Finally one night I placed my hands on my stomach and I felt the tumor. It was the size of a football and I never even felt it. I never had any kidney pain or discomfort. I also had the chills and sweated in bed at night. View attachment 932815 View attachment 932815
I immediately called my doctor, she scheduled a CT scan with contrast and that afternoon my kidney and tumor were lit up like the morning sky showing cancer. I then had a PET scan to see if the cancer traveled and fortunately it hadn't. I did research on surgeons and had help from my doctor and oncologist friends and ended up at University of Colorado cancer center for the surgery.
My surgeon is also an oncologist and checked all the margins and I was clear. No dietary restrictions, chemo, radiation, no pills however, I am following the advice of othereson the diet issue. I usually have a glass of wine at night and that might continue.
When I woke up after surgery, all the symptons were gone including the cough, GONE!

Thanks Dave! Glad to hear you are feeling better and thanks for sharing. Incredible story!

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
I donated a kidney to my brother coming up on 5 years ago. I did a lot of research and spent a lot of time with Dr's before and after. I was told no NSAIDs (Ibuprofen), but Acetaminophen and Aspirin are ok. No restrictions on alcohol. My brother and I literally drank the night before surgery and the Dr's said non-issue. They want me to drink more water, as much as I can reasonably, but no one can tell you why. They did recommend limiting protein, but it wasn't considered a huge deal.

I was fatigued for almost a year. They warned me of this, but I thought it was BS. Very real! First month I struggled on a flight of stairs, and I'm not in terrible shape. I could go forever walking or riding a bike if it was flat, but the tinniest of grades wore me out. I'll be 61 tomorrow, so I wonder now if I'm worn out which it is: age or kidney. Dunno.

With the noted exceptions, hasn't changed my life at all.

Sherpa

Reaction score
That’ll leave a mark! Awesome your healthy again!

dave29

Reaction score
I donated a kidney to my brother coming up on 5 years ago. I did a lot of research and spent a lot of time with Dr's before and after. I was told no NSAIDs (Ibuprofen), but Acetaminophen and Aspirin are ok. No restrictions on alcohol. My brother and I literally drank the night before surgery and the Dr's said non-issue. They want me to drink more water, as much as I can reasonably, but no one can tell you why. They did recommend limiting protein, but it wasn't considered a huge deal.

I was fatigued for almost a year. They warned me of this, but I thought it was BS. Very real! First month I struggled on a flight of stairs, and I'm not in terrible shape. I could go forever walking or riding a bike if it was flat, but the tinniest of grades wore me out. I'll be 61 tomorrow, so I wonder now if I'm worn out which it is: age or kidney. Dunno.

With the noted exceptions, hasn't changed my life at all.
QC22
I'm 69 years old and it's been about 5 weeks since my surgery and my energy improves every day. I just push myself a little more every day. Hoping I'm close to normal by ski season. Just keep plugging away with exercise no matter how small it may seem.
Donating a kidney.........you're my hero!!!! God bless you.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
Donating a kidney.........you're my hero!!!! God bless you.
Thank you. I do have to admit it feels good to hear stuff like that. If any of you are ever in this position it has truly been a highlight of my life. Not that it matters, but I was treated like royalty at the hospital and all the before and after stuff. Very odd as well with the transplant center having a mix of recipients and donors. Very sick people and very healthy people all in the same facility and everyone knows who's who. Even on the elevators there was a strange aura that's hard to explain. In the hospital after the surgery they took me down to see my brother. I was in a huge flippin' room like a suite, and he was in a typical room. Every situation donors are made comfortable and thanked. Almost feel guilty about it and then you remember, " hey this is kind of a big deal." Variety of emotions through the whole thing.

Last edited: