WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Anyone work in the traffic signal field?

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
I have 2 sets of lights, red, yellow, green, that I would like to wire up and mount in the garage. I believe a controller can be bought through amazon. I looked for a wile to figure out how to mount them but came up short. Hoping we have someone in here that works for a city or state that can get me hooked up. These lights were originally mounted on a pole over the intersection. Looks like the mount went between the red and yellow lights. Ill try and get pics of what I have, maybe tonight or tomorrow.

Looks like these though
See the source image

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I don't work on them but this is how I mounted mine. the controller I found online and it has dials to set the length of time light stay on. I couldn't get a video of it running to post.
20200212_094336.jpg
15815259610636152176925871760092.jpg

Reactions: TPC

jeteater1

Jet boats suck
Reaction score
I installed one for a customer over his driveway years ago, I'll see if I can find the pictures. This is what we used to control the lights.
Screenshot_20200212-190132_eBay.jpg

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
So what is triggering the light changes?
Timer?
Going to be hard to beat a $26 controller.

Subadvantage

Reaction score
We might have some older traffic signal controllers in our warehouse as we just upgraded several of our traffic signals. Not sure if they got tossed yet or not. Let me check with my staff in the morning.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
That is cool. It would be cool to have one in the garage.

Subadvantage

Reaction score
We might have some older traffic signal controllers in our warehouse as we just upgraded several of our traffic signals. Not sure if they got tossed yet or not. Let me check with my staff in the morning.
No luck, everything got tossed.

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score

Thanks for lookin!

Guess Ill get to HD or Lowes one day and figure out how to mount it. Im pretty sure the controller is the easy part

Last edited:

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Thanks for lookin!

Guess Ill get to HD or Lowes one day and figure out how to mount it. Im pretty sure the controller is the easy part

The stuff on mine is just cheap iron pipe painted green.

Last edited:

zhandfull

Reaction score
Pop out the top or bottom signal section plug and you can use 1.5" galvanized steel conduit and some lock nuts to build a stand or hanger.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
You can close up that gap by removing the backplate spacer and lowering the red section down. Then just bolt the red/yellow sections together just like the yellow/green are bolted together making it all one unit. The head was a mast arm side mount and is missing the bracket.

Then get rid of the plate around. Mine tucks real nice into a corner of the garage.

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
I'm revisiting this, cause I'm ready to buy a controller and there happens to be a complete light for sale here now from @beerrun

zhandfull

Reaction score
Controller is pretty simple install. Sure you can find a YouTube video with directions on how to wire and make lights alternate. Your signal head looks to have old school screw in bulbs and IMO that is better than LED modules. You need a low wattage bulb maybe 20 of 30 watts otherwise it will be much to bright for inside use.

Here is a YouTube link

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
I ended up buying 2 controllers just like @jeteater1 posted and wired one up last weekend. I'm staying with my dad so I drug it into his living room and plugged it in and now he's planning on how to get it mounted into the corner of his living room. I was half shocked at how easy that controller was to wire up! Ill post some pics later today. I pulled the surround off of it to make it easier to work on and to stack the lights then he took the visors off. We're planning to make a floor mount for it using an umbrella base and some conduit or galvanized pipe and run the cord through that. Should look really cool in his living room lol

traquer

Reaction score
Badass! Now if only the cities could figure out how to use those controllers and synchronize the lights on the major streets lol

beerrun

Reaction score
I still have one for sale of anyone is interested

DLC

Reaction score
Somebody ran over one of the ramp meter lights and I acquired mine from beside the freeway.
When you hit the post did it damage the truck?

asking for a friend that wants one also

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
Retired after 34 years. Our controllers were 10 to 15 k. Don't hit the boxes on the side of the road. LED lights are super bright 😎. Best to find the old style and use a low watt.

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
These are LED and they arent bad indoors. We had it on last night and I was able to slow the change time. Kinda fun having it on, although, I wonder what the neighbors think?! Lol

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
Dad is now looking for a sewer man hole cover lol. He's not really happy with his wood base. What do you all have hiding in your back yards or garages?

4Waters

Reaction score
Dad is now looking for a sewer man hole cover lol. He's not really happy with his wood base. What do you all have hiding in your back yards or garages?
I have a spare out in the street 🤣