WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Apache Lake

Duramax

Reaction score
Anybody from the Tucson-Phoenix area? The mostly dirt road was just reopened a few weeks back and wanted to know if anyone has been on the water yet? I also heard the hotel was open (thought it was closed until next summer for a remodel). One of the launches we like to use (3 Mile Wash) I hear is basically ruined? Anybody been there these last few weekends and have any first hand info? We are hoping to head up Friday.

bagged97taco

Reaction score
Buddy just went. They launched at burnt corral. Said the lake was fine but was sad to see all the crispy saguaros and trees. Didn’t say anything about 3 mile tho. I can ask

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
It’s open?! That’s great news. Last I heard the road was still closed. We’ll take a drive out and see what’s what.

AzMandella

Reaction score
Buddy just went. They launched at burnt corral. Said the lake was fine but was sad to see all the crispy saguaros and trees. Didn’t say anything about 3 mile tho. I can ask
I take it you are talking about James( Mad Dog) Mandella .Saw him Sat and he said he was going up for the day . I might see him today if hes at the boat shop after work .

2Driver

Reaction score
I wouldn’t go near it if we ever get the Monsoons started. There is going to be a large burn run-off into the lake and I don’t think you will want to be around when it does. It is just a historic low Monsoon season so far.

That Bush fire really took away a large part of Arizona’s unique Sonoran desert. Really sad.

Duramax

Reaction score
We used to love Apache and would go ALL the time. As our boats got bigger, it was just not possible. Now with the new cruiser I would like to go back. I am already getting tired of Roosevelt and the constant stream of ballast pumping wake surf boats. @bagged97taco, I appreciate that! Let me know what he says. @2Driver, man have we been through some storms there! I remember the wall of water we would watch coming through the canyon and just getting drenched for 25min, then it was done, and we had the lake to ourselves! If I hear info I will post back in this thread. Thanks guys.

Duramax

Reaction score
Canyon is just full of run off drift wood. It’s bad. Huge trees floating everywhere
Really?! Wow, I didn't hear that (not that I would). A buddy went out to Saguaro a few weeks ago and said it was fine, packed, but water was fine.

StevieHops

Reaction score
We are going this weekend and staying in the hotel. Thinking about launching at burnt corral and leaving the truck and trailer there. The road at Davis wash is in ROUGH shape and one good monsoon will wash it out again.

bagged97taco

Reaction score
Really?! Wow, I didn't hear that (not that I would). A buddy went out to Saguaro a few weeks ago and said it was fine, packed, but water was fine.
From another buddy that was there Sunday, don’t launch at 3mile. The “ramp” falls straight off. He broke his winch strap and got his truck stuck and he has a pontoon boat.

bagged97taco

Reaction score
We are going this weekend and staying in the hotel. Thinking about launching at burnt corral and leaving the truck and trailer there. The road at Davis wash is in ROUGH shape and one good monsoon will wash it out again.
This is what I would do for sure, although I wouldn’t mind being stuck at Apache as long as I had beer and food for the kids!

Duramax

Reaction score
From another buddy that was there Sunday, don’t launch at 3mile. The “ramp” falls straight off. He broke his winch strap and got his truck stuck and he has a pontoon boat.
That's exactly what I heard. Scrap that idea, we will launch at BC. I think we are going to leave Friday morning, get on the water by 11 and stay till dark. I wonder how crazy it will be on Saturday? @StevieHops - that's the best idea. The trip to the hotel is a long, rough one! If you see us come say hi. @bagged97taco - thank you for the info! That's what I needed. Did he say if it was crazy packed Saturday?

bagged97taco

Reaction score
That's exactly what I heard. Scrap that idea, we will launch at BC. I think we are going to leave Friday morning, get on the water by 11 and stay till dark. I wonder how crazy it will be on Saturday? @StevieHops - that's the best idea. The trip to the hotel is a long, rough one! If you see us come say hi. @bagged97taco - thank you for the info! That's what I needed. Did he say if it was crazy packed Saturday?
Said it was pretty busy. Not packed like Roosevelt tho.

StevieHops

Reaction score
0C2A372F-23A4-41A0-9712-B67FFBBEB452.jpeg

I’ll keep an eye out, this is what I’m rolling in.

WhatExit?

Reaction score
We drove out State Route 88 (Apache Trail) eastbound past Canyon Lake and Tortilla Flat and the dirt road is open for some miles but it is still closed before Apache Lake. Were you guys talking about Apache Trail being open westbound to Apache Lake?

State Route 88 closed - 1.jpeg

@bagged97taco thanks for the heads up.
@WhatExit? you doing alright up there with the Goldfield Fire?

Thanks for asking Mario. I didn't even know about it...

With forest closure, SR 88 closed east of Tortilla Flat, west of Roosevelt Lake
July 2, 2020
PHOENIX – Due to a closure of most parts of the Tonto National Forest, State Route 88 has been closed east of Tortilla Flat and between Roosevelt and Apache lakes.
The eastbound closure of SR 88, also known as the Apache Trail, begins at milepost 213 beyond Tortilla Flat, which remains accessible. The westbound closure begins at State Route 188.
An unpaved section of SR 88 from Apache Lake west to Fish Creek Hill, which is east of Tortilla Flat, is closed indefinitely. That 7-mile stretch was damaged extensively by flash flooding out of the area burned last year by the Woodbury Fire.

HST4ME

Reaction score
1597540891834.png

Over here Apache Lake means the Atlantic Ocean, :)

bagged97taco

Reaction score
Apache trail at fish creek won’t be open for a few years. Sad story. But the trail from Roosevelt May end up being washed out also. Apache is a lost hope but still home for us

WhatExit?

Reaction score
It was great driving Apache Trail before it was closed - wish I could wheel on through there - anyone know how bad it is?

Duramax

Reaction score
It was great driving Apache Trail before it was closed - wish I could wheel on through there - anyone know how bad it is?
Yes, Fish Creek is no more. I am not sure how the road is after. We come from Globe, East, Roosevelt way. I heard it wasn't in great shape either, but not closed. I got a call on Friday saying they had rooms at the Apache Inn hotel, but no way will I drive that from Roosevelt. We have rooms at the Roosevelt Inn this weekend, and we are going for sure Saturday. If it's our last time or not, we are going Apache. I will take pics and report back next week.