WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Aplha One Gen II recondition: what to expect?

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
Hey guys, need some insight on an upcoming service job which will include replacing the bellows, shift cable and refinishing the drive paint/graphics. Looking to get everything up to par for a few big trips later this year and also for peace of mind when I go to sell at the end of the season.

I usually do my own work but am hesitant with the gimbal housing tear down and rebuild. Looks like a big job and there's a need for specialty tools that I don't have yet.

The job is def something that I'd like to figure out how to do and learn from but as I read more, I'm starting to lean on having it done by a shop. Saves time, tooling costs and left with a paper trail for the new owner.

Have any of you done one of these before? What was it like?

Shrub Lurker

Reaction score
are you sure it needs everything ?
This could get out of hand fast at a shop and at home.
Paintwise,
I hang the unit and use automotive fillers (minimally), two part primer and then urathane with a hardner (two stage for silver),
If you can find a body shop that's willing to do your outdrive it's gonna be pricey.

I'd consider throwing an SEI unit on and be done but I'm sure others will chime in on this. I've put on several of these over the years. The most notable was a rental deck boat that got abused to death for two years after I installed it, but never serviced. I serviced it and it's out making money for the owner like a good whore should three to seven days a week.

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
Paintwise,
I hang the unit and use automotive fillers (minimally), two part primer and then urathane with a hardner (two stage for silver),
If you can find a body shop that's willing to do your outdrive it's gonna be pricey.

The paint isnt a necessity as there's no signs of corrosion but it does look weathered and that bothers me haha. I plan to do the paintwork on the upper and lower unit on my own so your tips help. The gimbal housing is in great shape paintwise. Have you sourced the Merc graphics before?

are you sure it needs everything ?

For reasons I won't elaborate on in a public forum, yes, I would prefer to replace at least one bellow. Figured if I have it all taken apart then why not bang out a whole bellow kit. And if you give a mouse a cookie...

Last edited: