WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Apostrophe...

Froggystyle

Reaction score
OK... so I am a grammar Nazi of some renown... and for good reason I hope. You look fucking dumb communicating in the written media with grammar and vocabulary errors. And now with spell-check cleaning up all of your ignorance for you, the stuff that falls in the cracks between correct and misspelled is really our only window into how stupid you are.

So... I have a new guy I hired that I have been hounding about proper grammar recently, and he sent me a text misusing "your". Now, keep in mind that I like this guy, and want him to stay on... but if I need to proofread everything you send out that represents me in any way, you gotta either get smarter, quickly or move on down the road. So, I sent him this Craigslist ad as a response text...

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/zip/4202071055.html

Date:2013-11-19 14:03:12
PostID:4202071055
Title: (free stuff) Apostrophe

Apostrophe for free... Very useful for contractions and for properly spelling "you're" in particular, if you don't (another great use of it) want to look like an idiot... over and over again.

It's (another solid use of it) right there on the lower right-ish side of your keyboard. Check it out. If you like it, consider it my gift.

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

I'm getting fucking hate mails about it!!!! :p

Here is my favorite so far..

Jennifer Wilde:
Subj: Retard (In the mirror)

Everyone knows it's there you troll, but not everyone cares.

It's been flagged for removal. I think it's hilarious. I have gotten some fan mail about it though...

Rusty Nichols
Subj: Apostrophe (Your Keyboard)
Brilliant!!! I?m a big fan of the apostrophe?except recently it seems that while people are getting away from using it for contractions and to show possession (i.e. using it properly), I?ve seen it often to show pluralization?ugh!

Last edited:

bluebleeder

Reaction score
pagy9equ.jpg

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
OK... so I am grammar Nazi of some renown... and for good reason I hope. You look fucking dumb communicating in the written media with grammar and vocabulary errors. And now with spell-check cleaning up all of your ignorance for you, the stuff that falls in the cracks between correct and misspelled is really our only window into how stupid you are.

So... I have a new guy I hired that I have been hounding about proper grammar recently, and he sent me a text misusing "your". Now, keep in mind that I like this guy, and want him to stay on... but if I need to proofread everything you send out that represents me in any way, you gotta either get smarter, quickly or move on down the road. So, I sent him this Craigslist ad as a response text...

Date:2013-11-19 14:03:12
PostID:4202071055
Title: (free stuff) Apostrophe

Apostrophe for free... Very useful for contractions and for properly spelling "you're" in particular, if you don't (another great use of it) want to look like an idiot... over and over again.

It's (another solid use of it) right there on the lower right-ish side of your keyboard. Check it out. If you like it, consider it my gift.

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

I'm getting fucking hate mails about it!!!! :p

Here is my favorite so far..

Jennifer Wilde:
Subj: Retard (In the mirror)

Everyone knows it's there you troll, but not everyone cares.

It's been flagged for removal. I think it's hilarious. I have gotten some fan mail about it though...

Rusty Nichols
Subj: Apostrophe (Your Keyboard)
Brilliant!!! I?m a big fan of the apostrophe?except recently it seems that while people are getting away from using it for contractions and to show possession (i.e. using it properly), I?ve seen it often to show pluralization?ugh!

You would give a Human Resource Coordinator an anxiety attack LOL

DrHW

Reaction score
Life isn't a spelling contest. With 80 to 100 emails a day it is about the content and what you are going to do with. Shorten what you write by half and get to the point. Not you personally but everyone.

WTRR

Not On The Boat
Reaction score
I hope your going to enjoy this...

Last edited by a moderator:

Froggystyle

Reaction score
Life isn't a spelling contest. With 80 to 100 emails a day it is about the content and what you are going to do with. Shorten what you write by half and get to the point. Not you personally but everyone.

That's absurd. That's like saying life isn't a fashion show, or a car race...

The spelling contest is happening, it's just that some people don't like to admit that they are being judged every single time anyone reads anything they write... terse and to the point or flowing and verbose.

Without proper grammar, it is hugely possible that people are missing out on landing work and not understanding why. I know for a fact that I flat out won't hire or work with someone in a professional capacity that can't spell or employ a higher level of grammar than the chaff of society. I expect a collegiate level understanding of the English language, composition and grammar.

My life is in the written word. Every job, every single dollar I have earned in my post-Navy professional career was based almost exclusively on my ability to draft a successful proposal, sell the idea, manage the project, report progress and milestones and train subordinates. All of which require exemplary written skills.

Accept it or not... but you are being judged every day on everything you do... from dress to language, tattoos, the car you drive, the company you keep. Love it or hate it... thems the facts.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
So... I have a new guy I hired that I have been hounding about proper grammar recently, and he sent me a text misusing "your". Now, keep in mind that I like this guy, and want him to stay on... but if I need to proofread everything you send out that represents me in any way, you gotta either get smarter, quickly or move on down the road.

Hey Wes, Its a fucken text not a term paper:D yore a little over the top sometimes dont ya think?

Do you happen to own "The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation" by Jane Straus?:rolleyes

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
I deal on a daily basis with an ever growing number of young engineers who I must constantly discuss the importance of "terminology". They almost refuse to use proper industry descriptions of specifics pertaining to the equipment they are trying to procure.

To me it's laziness and a stubborn ho-hum attitude that results in them getting something entirely different from what they are actually seeking.....Kinda like all vehicles are cars. They ask for a car when they need a pickup and are confused when they see the end result.

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
Interesting subject. I have mixed feelings on this. I am a published author. That said, I don't believe I have exemplary grammar or even a command of the English language. I simply possess a gift of story telling about hunting dangerous game in Africa. Wes is correct in that, any editor I work with, will, given a poorly worded or punctuated manuscript, return it in redline, marked, rejected.

However, I can "turn it on and turn it off." I don't want or need to be grammatically perfect on an internet forum. It is more of a casual conversation. I would liken it to, dressing nice all the time to impress those same people who may judge us on our grammar, when shorts and a tee shirt are accepted.

So, I get and appreciate what Wes is saying. I personally won't hold anyone to the same literary standard that my editors would, on professional level.

Steve

Last edited:

alohajeff

Reaction score
...but if I need to proofread everything you send out that represents me in any way, you gotta either get smarter, quickly or move on down the road. So, I sent him this Craigslist ad as a response...

The word "gotta" is not proper. So why did you use it? If you want everyone to puncuate properly why use slang? If you go off on a tirade about this sort of thing please make sure there are no errors (proofread much?) in your own post first. Otherwise you are as bad as those you are bitching about.

You need to buy another comma or rework this sentence: "you gotta either get smarter, quickly (comma) or move on down the road."

Aloha

Froggystyle

Reaction score
The word "gotta" is not proper. So why did you use it? If you want everyone to puncuate properly why use slang? If you go off on a tirade about this sort of thing please make sure there are no errors (proofread much?) in your own post first. Otherwise you are as bad as those you are bitching about.

You need to buy another comma or rework this sentence: "you gotta either get smarter, quickly (comma) or move on down the road."

Aloha

Good question. The reason is, this is intended to read as conversational. More like hanging out than a professional communication.

I use slang, and the elipsis (...) all the time with the intent of driving a more vocal pause or phrasing.

I do try to proof my own posts, and consider the slang and casual punctuation to be intentional, and not errata.

Saying "your" instead of "you're" correctly isn't slang, it's stupidity. Different deal.

Lastly... You ain't payin' me to write this shits yo...

You can do whatever you want on your time...

But on my dime, professionally, you gots to speak well English.

Froggystyle

Reaction score
So, I get and appreciate what Wes is saying. I personally won't hold anyone to the same literary standard that my editors would on a professional level.

I only hold employees and partners to this standard professionally.

I hold the rest of the world to this standard as a matter of sport and intimidation. ;)

79 HUSTLER

Reaction score
You have no idea how many people don't even know what it is called. I take my clients information over the phone daily. It's critical that spelling is correct in our profession. They will say "that thing that floats in the air, a hanging comma, a dot with a tail, the thing near the space bar". Keep in mind, our clients came up with this name and even had to send it in for approval. Yet they have know idea what it's called. A damn hyphen is even worse for them to explain. Sad thing is a huge handful of these are doctors and very successful people.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
You have no idea how many people don't even know what it is called. I take my clients information over the phone daily. It's critical that spelling is correct in our profession. They will say "that thing that floats in the air, a hanging comma, a dot with a tail, the thing near the space bar". Keep in mind, our clients came up with this name and even had to send it in for approval. Yet they have know idea what it's called. A damn hyphen is even worse for them to explain. Sad thing is a huge handful of these are doctors and very successful people.

It's "No Idea" and "Clients information" requires one of those things that floats in the air, you know the hanging comma. ohhh the irony. :D

Last edited:

Froggystyle

Reaction score
As I have said on multiple occasions... I don't claim to be a Rhodes Scholar, a professional editor or even a paid author. I didn't excel in school, nor did I focus any post high-school energy on the literary field. That said... I attempt at least to put my best foot forward with regard to the written word, knowing how easy it is to judge a persons basic intelligence on the only tool or measure that you have... which is the words on the page in front of you.

I don't find myself to be a subject matter expert, or even particularly adept at the subject. Which is why I am so shocked at the overall poor level of understanding/care/concern/ignorance of the written word that has become in many ways our chief means of communication both socially and professionally. Seems like if there was anything to get right... this would be it.

A firm that was hired by a client just sent me an email that opened with this...

"hi everybody.

We will need the fallowing information for tomorrow for us to finalize the installation:"

How low do you think my expectations are of this guy's potential intelligence?

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
As I have said on multiple occasions... I don't claim to be a Rhodes Scholar, a professional editor or even a paid author. I didn't excel in school, nor did I focus any post high-school energy on the literary field. That said... I attempt at least to put my best foot forward with regard to the written word, knowing how easy it is to judge a persons basic intelligence on the only tool or measure that you have... which is the words on the page in front of you.

I don't find myself to be a subject matter expert, or even particularly adept at the subject. Which is why I am so shocked at the overall poor level of understanding/care/concern/ignorance of the written word that has become in many ways our chief means of communication both socially and professionally. Seems like if there was anything to get right... this would be it.

A firm that was hired by a client just sent me an email that opened with this...

"hi everybody.

We will need the fallowing information for tomorrow for us to finalize the installation:"

Hi Wes,
I get it, I really do. Your ;) a self made man. I lost many friends over the years, due to me having unrealistic expectations of people, their statement not mine. I agree with you, that every man, woman and child should strive to be the best that they can be, every day, every time. That is to include their ability to communicate in the written word.

That is what infuriates me about my employees that do "just enough" to get it off their bench and on to the next schmucks bench. People are generally capable of so much more than they usually produce. I know that you get that.

As to paid author and editing. I have a high school diploma. I graduated from Thunderbird High School, in Phoenix in 1979. I had just passing grades.

I built a business that grew to the point it allowed m to start pursuing a dream of hunting in Africa. I developed a taste for dangerous game hunting. I poorly shot a lion in 2005 and killed it in a subsequent charge at 12 feet. It was the watershed moment of my writing. I was so moved by the experience, I just had to write about it. I had everything rejected for 5 years. I was a literary moron. I nearly gave up due to the embarrassment. I took some classes, practiced endlessly. My first article was accepted in 2010. (I think) I still, to this day, struggle with punctuation and get it wrong, often.

I was just given "Feature Article" status in the current issue of African Hunter magazine. The next issue, I have a international hunting editorial article coming out.

My long winded point, you're correct. People need to apply themselves 100 percent, 100 percent of the time. That applies to writing, driving, relationships or whatever else is happening in yoar ;) life. Had I understood this as a kid, I might have been Earnest Hemingway or something.

I think you make people on RDP cognizant of doing more, doing it better and being their best. Good on you Wes. :thumbsup

Last edited:

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

"hi everybody.

I totally agree Wes. I even make my teenagers text and Facebook post with proper spelling, diction and punctuation. It isn't that hard!

I also hire and fire a lot of people and own my own businesses so maybe I do expect a lot from people.

--Rob

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Funny the timing of this thread. It's review time at work and I'm making proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation a point in everyone's goals for next year.

Run-on sentences don't count. :D

V3NMOUS

Reaction score
This is an interesting topic. I have been attempting to drive this very point home, to my sixteen year old son. Sometimes, perception is reality. If you can't distinguish the proper use of your versus you're in a sentence, I don't have much hope for your communication skills on a whole.

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Froggy is a grammar bully. You retards who can't spell and shit shouldn't put up with this. :D

CornWater

Hey Now!!!
Reaction score
I've spent the better part of the past week reviewing proposals I solicited for removing chromium from groundwater for a large water district. We're talking multimillion dollar firms here, a potential half million dollar contract at stake, and you wouldn't believe some of the glaring shit I see. Hard to believe really. I try my best not to hold it against them and tell myself "it's about content", but it's hard not to....

Froggystyle

Reaction score
I've spent the better part of the past week reviewing proposals I solicited for removing chromium from groundwater for a large water district. We're talking multimillion dollar firms here, a potential half million dollar contract at stake, and you wouldn't believe some of the glaring shit I see. Hard to believe really. I try my best not to hold it against them and tell myself "it's about content", but it's hard not to....

I've told this story before, but I submitted a proposal to the very senior DOD council... A six page or so deal, with a lot of technical details, test criteria and funding elements. I send it to the Chairman who requested it, and he replied back about six hours later with only... "There are zero proof errors".

I wrote back, confused, "What do you mean?"

He said "proposal looks great, but I sent this to several other guys at this level to double check, and we didn't find a single misspelling, grammar mistake or punctuation error. We all agreed that this was the first one we've ever seen that was literally perfect."

I got the contract and the funding. I established a relationship with the highest level DOD safety council that was very strong, based in no small way on perceived professionalism.

Never saw that coming. I knew it was important to be well written, but didn't ever expect that kind of a admitted interest in it.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
OK... so I am grammar Nazi of some renown...

So I am "a" grammar Nazi????

Unless it's a proper name then the g in grammar should be capitalized.

I could be wrong though. It just reads strange.

Example....

Ok.........so I am La Flama Blanca.

Ok........so I am a white flame.

Last edited:

Froggystyle

Reaction score
So I am "a" grammar Nazi????

Unless it's a proper name then the g in grammar should be capitalized.

I could be wrong though. It just reads strange.

Example....

Ok.........so I am La Flama Blanca.

Ok........so I am a white flame.

You got it... It's an imperfect world.

DrHW

Reaction score
That's absurd. That's like saying life isn't a fashion show, or a car race...

The spelling contest is happening, it's just that some people don't like to admit that they are being judged every single time anyone reads anything they write... terse and to the point or flowing and verbose.

Without proper grammar, it is hugely possible that people are missing out on landing work and not understanding why. I know for a fact that I flat out won't hire or work with someone in a professional capacity that can't spell or employ a higher level of grammar than the chaff of society. I expect a collegiate level understanding of the English language, composition and grammar.

My life is in the written word. Every job, every single dollar I have earned in my post-Navy professional career was based almost exclusively on my ability to draft a successful proposal, sell the idea, manage the project, report progress and milestones and train subordinates. All of which require exemplary written skills.

Accept it or not... but you are being judged every day on everything you do... from dress to language, tattoos, the car you drive, the company you keep. Love it or hate it... thems the facts.

I am judging you from your written word that you are self centered and narcissistic. ;)

DrHW

Reaction score
I've told this story before, but I submitted a proposal to the very senior DOD council... A six page or so deal, with a lot of technical details, test criteria and funding elements. I send it to the Chairman who requested it, and he replied back about six hours later with only... "There are zero proof errors".

He said "proposal looks great, but I sent this to several other guys at this level to double check, and we didn't find a single misspelling, grammar mistake or punctuation error. We all agreed that this was the first one we've ever seen that was literally perfect."

I got the contract and the funding. I established a relationship with the highest level DOD safety council that was very strong, based in no small way on perceived professionalism.

Never saw that coming. I knew it was important to be well written, but didn't ever expect that kind of a admitted interest in it.

Your grammar and composition in this post is perfect. However, you used the word "I" seven times in writing it. If you use "I" in your written proposals it might come across as self serving. I see it being done all of the time. :)

Last edited:

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Your grammar and composition in this post is perfect. However, you used the word "I" seven times in writing it. If you use "I" in your written proposals it might come across as self serving. I see it being done all of the time. :)

Yep....sort of like a Bob Seger song.

Last edited:

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score

Did you write him back and point out that the adjective "literally" is extraneous? The sentence would have as much impact if it simply stated "We all agreed that this was the first one [sic] we've ever seen that was perfect". The "literally" isn't needed.

:D

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score

One of the most difficult tasks someone can do is proofread their own work. For myself, to be effective, I have to let it "marinate" for at least a day and then I still miss errors.

For work proposals and documents I have my wife look things over. This works well because she has no familiarity with the industry so she is strictly looks for typos and such, and she find a lot of them... :rolleyes

Outdrive1

Reaction score
Did you write him back and point out that the adjective "literally" is extraneous? The sentence would have as much impact if it simply stated "We all agreed that this was the first one [sic] we've ever seen that was perfect". The "literally" isn't needed.

Literally is actually used to express strong feeling while not actually being true.

Example...

As a Navy Seal, I have literally banged thousands of chicks.

Wes may have misinterpreted the actual meaning of that statement.

Froggystyle

Reaction score
I am judging you from your written word that you are self centered and narcissistic. ;)

Totally accurate assumption. Ask around.

This post was about me... And was self serving. Again, I'm not trying to get you to buy my shit... I'm relaying a first person account of a real event in my life.

Froggystyle

Reaction score
Literally is actually used to express strong feeling while not actually being true.

That's "figuratively"...

As a Navy Seal, I have literally banged thousands of chicks.

Wes may have misinterpreted the actual meaning of that statement.

The true literal sense would be, "As a Navy SEAL, I have banged one chick literally thousands of times..." ;)

Old Texan

Reaction score

This post was about me... And was self serving. Again, I'm not trying to get you to buy my shit... I'm relaying a first person account of a real event in my life.

Your use of the word "I" rather than "We" means you'll never be a NASCAR driver.....You do realize that?

Yldboyz

Reaction score
In college, i learned that you read what you write.
When we had term papers, and you typed it on the computer, you were docked extreme points because it could have been easly spell checked.

CampbellCarl

Reaction score

Do I live far enough away to agree?

Hammer

Reaction score
I think you need to dumb down your vocabulary Froggy, I have horrible reading comprehension skills when it comes to YOUR posts....

All the other inmates, no problem. Except for that Brown guy...

Outdrive1

Reaction score
I think you need to dumb down your vocabulary Froggy, I have horrible reading comprehension skills when it comes to YOUR posts....

Wes is a wordsmith.

Old Texan

Reaction score
In college, i learned that you read what you write.
When we had term papers, and you typed it on the computer, you were docked extreme points because it could have been easly spell checked.

I'd wager that has changed drastically.....I'm not sure a lot of college kids can write or print anymore.;)

CornWater

Hey Now!!!
Reaction score

Yeah Wes, lower yoar standards....