WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Appoxy floor

Magic2K10

Reaction score
Just had done, what is the best way and what to use to keep looking shinny?

Magic2K10

Reaction score
New appoxy floor

Attachments

• IMG_20220124_052819672.jpg
    IMG_20220124_052819672.jpg
    706.2 KB · Views: 200

Joker

Reaction score
It doesn't look shiny now. Are you looking to making it shine more?

Magic2K10

Reaction score
No, it's not real shinny, just a little, want to keep it that way, I've just used hot water and a mop, slot of dust, still doing backyard construction, hard to keep clean.

Joker

Reaction score
What are you talking about? Looks shiny to me?

We each have our own definition of shine. As the OP stated , it's not that shiny which it's not, but its tough to accomplish with chips. I just throw water on mine and squeegee it out.

Reactions: DWC

Magic2K10

Reaction score
I guess I should of asked how I keep it clean.

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
Personally I use fabuloso from the dollar store and mix with water.. mop and dry and it is as shiny as it’s gonna get, plus your garage will smell good for a week
Simple green works great too, even a bit of oil on the floor.

Meaney77

Reaction score
Looks good! I always use a mop with hot water and Mr. Clean.

Question- For those of you who have epoxy floors how durable are they? I had mine done a few years ago it looks great however I hate working on things in my garage because mine seems to chip super easy. Like if a wrench drops out of my hands, Most of the time it will chip. Is this a common thing? I usually put a moving blanket down or something so if a tool or bolt drops it protects the floor.

I love the floor but thought it would have more durability.

Inland Air Balance

Certified in something
Reaction score
We've had ours at the shop for over 2 years still looks like brand new. if you had it professionally installed we just used pine sol and water in a mop and bucket to keep it clean and smell nice

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Wet mop and done for our floor. No chips or stains yet, about 4 yrs. I was told we're good up to, but not including, battery acid.

riverroyal

Reaction score
I use car wash soap with a wax. Then a brush on a stick that is for RVs.
Pressure wash back to front.

JD D05

Reaction score
I guess I should of asked how I keep it clean.
My biggest complaint is I can always see the dust. Also be careful moving stuff on it, mine had the clear coat flake.

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
What worries me about an epoxy floor is I will be mopping the damn garage floors once a month.
With cement I hose it down one a year .

Sure looks great , got to say that .

riverroyal

Reaction score
I’m not doing it at the next house. Looks great. Not worth the cost next time.
4 car garage must be 7k now

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
I’m not doing it at the next house. Looks great. Not worth the cost next time.
4 car garage must be 7k now
I just had my 3 car garage done in Yorba Linda. $2,800.00

Attachments

• D32D5D3B-3EE2-44DC-9D5B-CA959C571F51.jpeg
    D32D5D3B-3EE2-44DC-9D5B-CA959C571F51.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 113
  • 9D41599C-4519-47F2-BBB2-EA5105B07FD7.jpeg
    9D41599C-4519-47F2-BBB2-EA5105B07FD7.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 107
  • 647385F3-CF97-4A62-8344-D0F7E8E121B0.jpeg
    647385F3-CF97-4A62-8344-D0F7E8E121B0.jpeg
    1,002.2 KB · Views: 110

Fabhouse

Reaction score
Thoughts on polished cement?
If you want near zero issues....Polished Concrete.
(I am a commercial flooring contractor)
It is more expensive than epoxy, but its hard to chip/scratch something that isn't there. Think Home Depot/Lowes/Costco....all polished concrete.
Downside is you don't get the colors to match your boat. If you want epoxy coating with a useful life, do not use the off the shelf products, hire a professional. The process includes grinding, multiple coats, and likely a urethane clear. Expect 4-7/ft for epoxy, and 5-9/ft for polished.

Joker

Reaction score
It is more expensive than epoxy, but its hard to chip/scratch something that isn't there. Think Home Depot/Lowes/Costco....all polished concrete.
Downside is you don't get the colors to match your boat. If you want epoxy coating with a useful life, do not use the off the shelf products, hire a professional. The process includes grinding, multiple coats, and likely a urethane clear. Expect 4-7/ft for epoxy, and 5-9/ft for polished.
I only do my floors with epoxy because I can do it myself. If I owned polishing equipment I would 100% do that in lieu of a coating.

DLC

Reaction score
What us the process for polished Concrete?

can you expand on it layout the steps and then post some pics?

can you shot ping the garage concrete and go from there?

or is it a series of grinding…

Sherpa

Reaction score
I’ve hired out having epoxy flooring done. It’s certainly not rocket science. I’ve done homeowner jobs myself.. you just need to know what materials to buy, where, how to prep-mix-and apply….

Fabhouse

Reaction score
What us the process for polished Concrete?

can you expand on it layout the steps and then post some pics?

can you shot ping the garage concrete and go from there?

or is it a series of grinding…
Polished concrete is just that-a series of steps to get the finish you want, not much different that polishing paint, or metals, just on a larger scale.
For example, for an epoxy floor, step one is grinding to expose and clean the surface...60-80 grit, a dull finish. (depending on the initial condition of the substrate)
Then a coating can be applied with a solid bond. The finishing coats provide the shine (or desired amount of gloss)
For polishing, the grinding steps continue, 150, 300, 600, 800, 1200, 1500, etc...
The cost equals out for epoxy vs. polish somewhere around 600, which is a low gloss finish-more of a matte.
The polished concrete cost is 95% labor-lots of steps.
A high gloss polished floor can be 6-8 steps, not including crack and seam filling.

Springfield

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input on epoxy vs polished. I am doing my Havasu house when the garage expansion is complete. Also wasnt sure of price and wear diff.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input on epoxy vs polished. I am doing my Havasu house when the garage expansion is complete. Also wasnt sure of price and wear diff.

Out here epoxy lasts 7-8 years…. Then it starts popping off the floor.

They don’t tell you that when you are buying it.

Springfield

Reaction score

Of course not that might kill the job but if less than polished some people will still go with the epoxy for affordablity if there is such a word. So when it starts popping off the floor you have to scrape it off completely (the whole floor) and start over? Is there any secret to longevity or that's just the life of the product there?

rivergames

Reaction score
No, it's not real shinny, just a little, want to keep it that way, I've just used hot water and a mop, slot of dust, still doing backyard construction, hard to keep clean.
If its just some dust, get a Roomba and program it to run ever day to keep the dust away

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score

Same with pool cool decking.
I don't think anyone will even do it anymore or at least not guarantee it
My buddy did his garage floors with tile. Black and white checkered. Zero problems after 16 years

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
Polished Concrete is what I wanna get done in a few months. I had Appoxy Floors before and they look like 💩 after about 7 years.

To the OP I’ve used the Zep Wet Look Floor Polish in the past. It looks great when done!

Attachments

• 29375577-78AE-4B7E-875D-53665A254163.png
    29375577-78AE-4B7E-875D-53665A254163.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 22

ConcreteDr

Reaction score
coating a concrete floor is like painting your wife’s fingernails as soon as it looks like shit it’s a do over.
polish it and forget about it
and pay the guy to cut the paste to the aggregate so it looks nice home depo and Lowes etc are hone jobs not true polish
like anything else you get what you pay for

BTW there is no new chemistry I would know I do field testing for a lot of the basic chemistry providers and believe it or not there are not that many less than 10 and there’s 1000 of blenders selling all kinds of junk most are cut so bad they don’t last at all it’s really sad how many companies are selling shit out there…

Springfield

Reaction score
Same with pool cool decking.
I don't think anyone will even do it anymore or at least not guarantee it
My buddy did his garage floors with tile. Black and white checkered. Zero problems after 16 years
I have one property I did the black and white checked, 20 years ago and right zero problems. The installer said it wouldn’t last that some of the tiles would end up popping out, never happened here.

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
I can't understand why anyone would spend the cash on an epoxy garage slab... I've personally witnessed them fail over and over. They just don't last.

If you are pouring new mud, then dying it in the truck is your best bet with a little bit of powder on top burned into the slab.

If it's an existing slab, fuck it and go cheap. Concrete is extremely porous. Get some motor oil and pour a fuck load of powder die into it, mix and squeegee into the slab. Use sawdust (a fuck load) to clean up. Then dispose like a red neck (burn it in Glamis with the wind going to Mexico).

No more problems dripping oil on the floor, and no issues with it popping off...
You're welcome.

Last edited:

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
I have done a few floors with assistance from members on RDP. They have came out great and going on 5-10 years. I use a floor scrubber to clean them. Depending on type of floor and duty cycle I will mix in a little ZEP Degreasor in the water. I am pretty hard on the floors - not commercial but I weld, run a fork, and do not place anything under tires or equipment. Is it an overkill? Probably but I enjoy not having to run a brush and constantly dealing with dirt / dust. I can walk in my garage with socks (black) on and not ruin them.

IMG_0781.jpeg
IMG_1177.jpeg
IMG_0140.jpeg

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with this stuff? I like that the dust isn’t really visible as it drops to the bottom, as does water. It’s not slippery when wet, and I can take it with me to the next house.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with this stuff? I like that the dust isn’t really visible as it drops to the bottom, as does water. It’s not slippery when wet, and I can take it with me to the next house.

I couldn’t deal with all the dirt and shit under the flooring.. gross

RichL

Reaction score

Reminds me of RaceDek

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
I couldn’t deal with all the dirt and shit under the flooring.. gross
I’ve seen people just use a shopvac for the weekly stuff and pull it up to wash the garage every 6 months to a year. Maybe out of sight, out of mind?