WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Appropriate Attire for Jury Duty

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
I have been called for Jury Duty today and I have to be there by 8AM and was wondering which lapel pin I should wear, " Trump 2016 ", " Trump 2020 ", " MAGA Button " or my " NRA ".
What say you?
Probably be eating breakfast by 815.:D

grumpy88

Reaction score
Or a libreal will make you suffer and string you along all week !

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I'd avoid the holster or the NRA pin. The current F'rs may hold you in contempt for intimidation.

The only time I had to show up, I went in my work attire. For some, that would be respectable. For myself, It was more like a homeless guy...torn and stained blue jeans, and a T-shirt. I was even asked why I was "dressed this way". I explained this is my work clothing, and if I got dismissed, that's where I was going. I also added that I didn't think I was the one on trial, so why make a false impression. I was dismissed...

boatpi

Reaction score
Button down shirt, any long pants no fashion holes, etc. Dress comfortable. Some do not take this seriously, just think back to the OJ jury, would some of us like to have been on that one. Make a difference in justice.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I would just wear my work clothes. If they ask anything, just say I work everyday and this is what I wear to work. I can’t afford fancy clothes that I wouldn’t use or have time to use.

BTW I have never received a summons.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Lol... They refused my exclusion one year so I went in uniform. It was pretty funny.
See, show up in work attire...whatever that may be;)

If you showed up dressed like that, carrying a radio, get all together different looks:rolleyes:

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
See, show up in work attire...whatever that may be;)

If you showed up dressed like that, carrying a radio, get all together different looks:rolleyes:
It was interesting. At first they figured I was there to testify. Then I went and starting mingling with the other juror's which is a big no-no. Then they actually looked at the uniform and the head juror lady called me over.:D We had a good laugh and she told me I would not be serving on a jury that day... lol

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Do what Grads does - show up with a pink dildo

Xring01

Reaction score
Lets see...

Shirt that says
Hillary for Prison? or
Save a Virgin, do me instead? or
Gun Control, means proper sight alignment?

I can keep going...

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
This. If more "normal" people served we wouldn't have stupid jury verdicts.
I don't know if I would ever be considered "normal", but I would now show up in clothes that are at least respectable by some standards. Clean blue jeans and maybe a polo. I only own two button down shirts, and they are worn for funerals or weddings.
I believe you are supposed to be tried by a jury of your peers. Where does one find a jury full of drunk drivers or drug abusers?

MCnParker

Reaction score
All kidding aside, take it seriously. I had it last week and I was blown away by what people were wearing and saying. As I sat threw the two days of juror selection, thankfully never got into the box for direct questioning, it was great people watching. I can tell you that the same people who dressed in a manner to obviously to get dismissed. Were the same people overheard in the hallway complaining about how they got shafted when they were in court. It scares me for my children the lack of common sense or level of entitlement that a lot of people have in today's society.

hallett21

Reaction score
Participating in a jury of your peers is not a part of “Making America Great Again?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
I've never done jury duty and have always wanted to experience it. I've done the call in numerous times and have never been told to even show up at the court house.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
... Speedo and a partially finished tattoo they will surely let you go when they realize you need to get your tattoo finished...

liquid addiction

^ 78 DiMarco Flat
Reaction score
My first time getting called for jury duty, I ran into a guy I knew in high school (he was not the sharpest tack in the bunch). He had a t-shirt that had very large words on the front, "SHUT UP BITCH"

He didn't last long and was excused.

Socalx09

Reaction score
Have some attorneys in the family. They cannot stand when people openly try to get out of jury duty. Especially when they are stuck with a not so great jury panel.

Then on the other hand, my mom has wanted to get on a serious jury panel for years haha. She never makes the final cut. I always get it excused because I’m a care taker.

Xring01

Reaction score
For me its a total waste of my time, because I will never get selected, even if I wanted to.

The key reason... Military Law Enforcement as a shore duty rotation, worked at the San Ysidro Border for 2.5 years... when they ask me a few questions, hear my response.... YOUR EXCUSED...

But that doesnt change the fact that they waste my valuable time periodically....

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Nobody else wants to be there either...don’t make it harder than it needs to be.

Clean pants and a shirt with at least a couple buttons. Look respectable.

I enjoyed my first Jury experience a few years ago. I was selected, and it was a good experience...mainly too see how truly stupid some folks are. I liked the judge...there was a guy who was trying everything he could think of to get out of it...not making any sense. The judge figured out where he lived and reassigned him to the farthest court house away from his home in the county...then had the clerk make a phone call to that courthouse and request that the guy be put on a case that go long.

I laughed.

LuckyStrike

Just Plain Crazy
Reaction score
Drink heavy
And the 2020 Trump pin on your shitty welding jacket
Should be good to go
Oh and mention Iran as a round table

LuckyStrike

Just Plain Crazy
Reaction score
I don’t care... used to be an honor to be a juror back in my day
Nothing but scumbags any more and they aren’t paying my bills for being there
So I say Fuck Them
And the haters will hate
I’m 60 and I don’t fucking care anymore

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
Hi Jeff, just be yourself, you'll be fine. :D
All kidding aside, take it seriously. I had it last week and I was blown away by what people were wearing and saying. As I sat threw the two days of juror selection, thankfully never got into the box for direct questioning, it was great people watching. I can tell you that the same people who dressed in a manner to obviously to get dismissed. Were the same people overheard in the hallway complaining about how they got shafted when they were in court. It scares me for my children the lack of common sense or level of entitlement that a lot of people have in today's society.
What about: dress appropriately, answer the questions honestly and if picked do your civic duty.
My honest answers may be what get me excused in today's liberal court but I do take this seriously. I hope they take my answers seriously as well.
I am concerned for our future.
I think I might be racist because I feel like I'm one of what appears to be 3 normal people left.

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
My honest answers may be what get me excused in today's liberal court but I do take this seriously. I hope they take my answers seriously as well.
I am concerned for our future.
I think I might be racist because I feel like I'm one of what appears to be 3 normal people left.

I got excused by doing exactly that. The defendant had an interpreter. I raised my hand when the defense asked about that. I stated that "I must assume he's here illegally, based on his interpreter, Therefore, he shouldn't be here...period."

I was excused with three others for the exact same reason.

Last edited:

ssc

Reaction score
Just an observation, but it is easy to get a deferment. Often you are allowed to pick the date you return for jury duty. Generally if you pick a Wednesday or Thursday prior to a holiday weekend, odds are you will never leave the jury room to be sent up to a court room. In my experience, they dismiss everyone by 11:00 am and you get credit for jury duty. Hence, one less thing to worry about for a year. I am speaking of CA.

Cheers, Steve

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
I’ve said this before , I’m not Racist! , I got called to do JD it said call judge if you can’t make it ( worked for my self ) judge calls me back later that night , why can’t you make it ? I work for myself , judge to bad , me what color is this person ? Judge Your dismissed! I just don’t have time for all the game playing by the lawyers, put it in a movie and I’ll rate it

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
Lol... They refused my exclusion one year so I went in uniform. It was pretty funny.

I got pulled for grand jury selection and didn't get eliminated till the 2nd or 3rd round of questions.

Judge asks, "is there any reason why you could not be impartial?"
"Yes sir, I work where some of these cases are housed"
Judge, "Have a good day sir, thank you for coming."

I was surprised that I even made it past the initial screening. I did get paid though, mileage and days wage. Even better is I did it during shift and still had 8 hours on my time card :D

Reactions: t&y

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I’ve sat on 2 Juries.
Been in the box before being dismissed 3 more times.

Last one I sat on cured me of “civic duty”.
Tweaker Gangster wanna be, on camera and arrested on scene stealing clothes from a Fred Meyer store.
What the fuck is this doing in court?
This should have been plead and dealt weeks before.
Pro bono rookie defense padding court hours for experience at the expense of everyone involved.
Then 2 fucking idiots on the panel wanted dismissal because they “felt sorry” for him because he was on drugs and had no clean clothes so had to steal them.
Verdict guilty and I swore I’d never do jury duty again. 2 days total.
First one was reckless homicide that plead 11th hour.

Both cases exposed to me the absolute stupidity that “peers” are capable of. There ALWAYS AT LEAST 1-2 that are stone cold fucking idealistic idiots with zero concern about evidence.

707dog

Reaction score
wear jeans and a either justice for all or a ride the lightning metallica t shirt and some dark shades:cool:

oldschool

Reaction score
I’ve sat on 2 Juries.
Been in the box before being dismissed 3 more times.

Last one I sat on cured me of “civic duty”.
Tweaker Gangster wanna be, on camera and arrested on scene stealing clothes from a Fred Meyer store.
What the fuck is this doing in court?
This should have been plead and dealt weeks before.
Pro bono rookie defense padding court hours for experience at the expense of everyone involved.
Then 2 fucking idiots on the panel wanted dismissal because they “felt sorry” for him because he was on drugs and had no clean clothes so had to steal them.
Verdict guilty and I swore I’d never do jury duty again. 2 days total.
First one was reckless homicide that plead 11th hour.

Both cases exposed to me the absolute stupidity that “peers” are capable of. There ALWAYS AT LEAST 1-2 that are stone cold fucking idealistic idiots with zero concern about evidence.
I’ve sat on 2 as well and have the same feelings. Just takes one biased juror to undo a lot of good.

C-2

Reaction score
I tried the holiday strategy in Riverside County, also understanding many courtrooms are dark on Friday's, but remember, it's a call in system so you don't get to pick an exact date. I received a deferment so I could pick a date, 5/24, but they placed me on call after the holiday.

I went a few months back and the jury pool room was standing room only. Bam, my name was called in the second round and up to the courtroom we went. The Judge was cool and did things in reverse - he straight up said it's a murder trial with a STEP allegation; who can give us 1 month to 45-days? About half the people said they could, he released the rest of us to the jury pool room and by then, all other juries had already been seated. As it turns out, they sat 2 murder trials that day, which explained the abnormally large number of persons called in for the jury pool.

If I could, I would sit on a trial, and I was prepared to take a seat for a 3-5 day trial, but no way I could do 45-60 days.

I don't get all the condescension. I've testified a staggering number of times and I have yet to see any layperson make a fool of the court. The opposite is fun to watch, though.

And, it wasn't too long ago that jeans were not allowed in courtrooms....

Have fun at court!

nowski

Reaction score
Shorts and a T shirt. When the judge throws you out of his courtroom, enjoy the rest of the day at the beach.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Deferments aren’t your best route if avoiding duty is your goal.
Dismissal is the win.
If you want to sit a trial then deferment can work great as you can sort of schedule yourself.

But if you want out for the year your goal is to get called then dismissed.

Full disclosure, I threw my notices away for the past year in CA.
Just didn’t give a fuck.