WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Are all Anti-Seize's created equal?

72Hondo

Reaction score
Getting the odds and ends buttoned up on the motor. I use to use aerospace anti-seize but they've cracked down on taking shop supplies home.

Does everyone just use Permatex?

Ouderkirk

Reaction score
Getting the odds and ends buttoned up on the motor. I use to use aerospace anti-seize but they've cracked down on taking shop supplies home.

Does everyone just use Permatex?

There are a couple of versions of Anti-seizing compounds

Permatex makes two.

One is nickle based and has a silver hue to it.
The other is copper based and has that copper look.

There is Never-seize brand. They make two versions as well.

Then there is molybdenum di-sulfide. a.k.a. Moly-coat.

In choosing the proper anti-seizing/galling compound you have to consider the environment. Salt is a major factor. The copper ones are good for salt water if you're going to be disassembling the item in a short period of time from installation. The nickle based lasts longer(time wise) in that regard but doesn't protect as well.

The molybdenum di-sulfide works better than both but can be expensive to use in quantity.

4Waters

Reaction score
There are a couple of versions of Anti-seizing compounds

Permatex makes two.

One is nickle based and has a silver hue to it.
The other is copper based and has that copper look.

There is Never-seize brand. They make two versions as well.

Then there is molybdenum di-sulfide. a.k.a. Moly-coat.

In choosing the proper anti-seizing/galling compound you have to consider the environment. Salt is a major factor. The copper ones are good for salt water if you're going to be disassembling the item in a short period of time from installation. The nickle based lasts longer(time wise) in that regard but doesn't protect as well.

The molybdenum di-sulfide works better than both but can be expensive to use in quantity.

Thanks for the info, I've always just used silver but now understand the use of copper as well.

72Hondo

Reaction score
So there's no one that fits all?

Say header bolts, water neck bolts, water adapter plates etc.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
If it needs it, I use the nickel permatex, 2400 degrees before it runs off.

It's really difficult to explain statics and strengths of materials to people. Most things do not require anti-seize, and if you do use it on head bolts or critical fasteners, you are completely changing the torque value.

Use with caution.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
The most important thing to remember is that your torque value will vary depending on what type of thread lube you use.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
The most important thing to remember is that your torque value will vary depending on what type of thread lube you use.

Indeed, you can't just use anti-seize when it calls for oil, or use ATF or WD40 lol.

Every lubricant changes torque drastically.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I like Never Seize the best, but use what ever is on the shelf.
A drop on each boat trailer lug and the spares mounting lugs if you're mounted that way is essential.

Ouderkirk

Reaction score
If it needs it, I use the nickel permatex, 2400 degrees before it runs off.

It's really difficult to explain statics and strengths of materials to people. Most things do not require anti-seize, and if you do use it on head bolts or critical fasteners, you are completely changing the torque value.

Use with caution.

Indeed, USE WITH CAUTION. Anti-seize/galling compounds contain a carrier oil/grease and that does change the friction coefficient in the hole, and thus the torque value applied.

easy to over-tighten the fastener and then when it heats up you exceed the tensile strength of the fastener and break/distort/damage all sorts of things that were not intended.

I should add that you need to consider the type of fastener you are using and being screwed into what?

Things like zinc plated and into steel with never-seize will only serve to make things worse. You should only use these products on non-coated fasteners

Further you should be looking at the metals nobility charts before you use them too.

nobility.jpg

rivergames

Reaction score
For the most part, this is all we use in many, many stainless bolts in river and race boats

Once in a while, a certain part will come with another manufactures anti seize product. Never had any issues either

To me, anti seize is anti seize. I don't really see a difference between manufactures

Attachments

• images (3).jpg
    images (3).jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 24