WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Are Cops so bored that.........

Joker

Reaction score
They need to be writing tinted window tix. Stupid ass CHP wrote one to us in Costa Mexico(Mesa) today on city streets.
To me, its considered a waste of tax dollars to take a fix it ticket for 10 bucks when they could be writing a real ticket for 300.
No wonder theyre hated by most.

BarryMac

An Adelanto 9...
Reaction score
Well, I've got one of those as well, I knew that when I got the windows tinted that it is illegal, I knew that I was taking a chance of getting a ticket, it is what it is, if you don't want to take the chance of getting the ticket, don't tint your windows... BTW, the CHP will get you for it, usually your city police wont even look twice...

Joker

Reaction score
Got the darkest possible on my truck, never get stopped, but the damn bmw gets stopped every time.
I know it's illegal but should I have to register it in AZ just to skirt the tinted window law.

Ratso

Reaction score
We went to "Chili Fest" in College Station Texas... huge huge ordeal. You're normally going to be stuck in traffic for an hour or two before you can even get parked. The roads and everything are crawling with cops, I mean loaded with them. We talked with a few of them on the way in. Of course though, when we go to leave, we are stopped by a cop standing there on the side of the road the minute we pull out of the parking area. There are also about 5 or 6 other cars pulled over too. It had nothing to do with doing anything wrong. They wanted to check me in case my windows were tinted too dark, while every other person pulled over was being given a FST. Yeah right you fuckin' bitch. It ain't about the windows, it's about trying to write DUIs... They damn sure weren't pulling anyone over going TO the Chili Fest... :mad:

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Got the darkest possible on my truck, never get stopped, but the damn bmw gets stopped every time.
I know it's illegal but should I have to register it in AZ just to skirt the tinted window law.

Don't ignore it or you will get a mandatory appear. Ask me how I know.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Another one of my friends got one yesterday as well.. Must be something in the water?

RD

Joker

Reaction score
Since the wife received the ticket by a butch cop, she persistently asked the cop why she decided to write a tinted window ticket instead of finding a real criminal. The chick decided not to answer and said she did not want to argue with the wife.
All it is is exactly what you said, an excuse. I'm pulling the plates and registering in AZ. Fuc# California and their budget deficit.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Since the wife received the ticket by a butch cop, she persistently asked the cop why she decided to write a tinted window ticket instead of finding a real criminal. The chick decided not to answer and said she did not want to argue with the wife.
All it is is exactly what you said, an excuse. I'm pulling the plates and registering in AZ. Fuc# California and their budget deficit.

If you do this your drivers licenses will need to match your reg. state so get those at the same time. This way your all good.

Joker

Reaction score
Yup, got AZ on the truck, but never finished the DL part. I guess we'll be heading to AZ sooner than I thought.
Guess its a good excuse to get back to Laughlin.

catman-do

Winter sux, lets golf!
Reaction score
You might want to check into a few things first. From what I understand cops generally write tinted window tickets because as they approach the doors they want to see whats going on, not come up on a mercedes owned by some drug lord getting ready to blast his ass.

In regards to registering in AZ and driving your vehicle in CA I would check two things.

1) I believe that you MUST obide by the laws of the particular state you are driving in. So, even though its legal in AZ, once you cross into CA they can still write you up (even though you have AZ plates)

2) I received a fine for not changing my license to the primary address when I moved. If your PRIMARY RESIDENCE and PRIMARY usage of the vehicle is in CA, then you MUST register it in CA or can be fined. I think CA gives you 6 weeks to do so.

Again, this is what I believe to know. Not possitive, and I cant provide the ordinance number for them. The second one I personally had issues with.

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score

Arizona Window Covering Law:

B. Except as otherwise provided in this section, a person shall not operate a motor vehicle with an object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed or applied on the windshield or side or rear windows or with an object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed or applied in or on the motor vehicle in a manner that obstructs or reduces a driver's clear view through the windshield or side or rear windows.

C. Except as otherwise provided in this section, a person shall not place, install, affix or apply a transparent material on the windshield or side or rear windows of a motor vehicle if the material alters the color or reduces the light transmittance of the windshield or side or rear windows.

Full text of law Here: http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/28/00959-01.htm&Title=28&DocType=ARS

And as far as registering a vehicle in AZ, If you live in CA we have no problem with it.

However, California would have a big problem if you EVER bring that vehicle into California. CA laws require their residents to register any vehicles owned by them in CA. Unless the vehicle NEVER enters California. Not passing through. Not bringing it in for repairs. Not a day trip to Needles or Big River. NEVER!

It's a Criminal Offense (Misdemeanor) to do so, and fines are hefty, along with DMV fees, penalties, interest, towing and impound fees, and a host of other problems. Trying to save a few bucks on annual registration could cost over $2,500 to clear up. Jail time (although unlikely) can be imposed.

If you have a California Driver's License. Work in CA. Reside in CA, and have AZ plates on your vehicle you would be a target. CHP and local cops are always on the watch for out-of-state plates in CA neighborhoods and business parking lots.

Ms.Havasu

Mr.Havasu's Main Squeeze!
Reaction score
In regards to registering in AZ and driving your vehicle in CA I would check two things.

1) I believe that you MUST obide by the laws of the particular state you are driving in. So, even though its legal in AZ, once you cross into CA they can still write you up (even though you have AZ plates)

You are exactly right on this one.

We live, work, pay taxes etc in AZ. We were visiting relatives in La Habra and got pulled over for tinted window. The cop sad "I realizes tinted windows are legal in AZ but in Calif we consider it an obstruction." It was not a fix it ticket since we are from AZ, rather it was just a FINE for the privage of driving through their city with tinted windows. Cost us $85.00:swear

Angry Inch

Hung like a light switch.
Reaction score
Don't ignore it or you will get a mandatory appear. Ask me how I know.

How do you know? :D

You might want to check into a few things first. From what I understand cops generally write tinted window tickets because as they approach the doors they want to see whats going on, not come up on a mercedes owned by some drug lord getting ready to blast his ass.

2) I received a fine for not changing my license to the primary address when I moved. If your PRIMARY RESIDENCE and PRIMARY usage of the vehicle is in CA, then you MUST register it in CA or can be fined. I think CA gives you 6 weeks to do so.

Again, this is what I believe to know. Not possitive, and I cant provide the ordinance number for them. The second one I personally had issues with.

Beat me to it.

Ms.Havasu

Reaction score
B. Except as otherwise provided in this section, a person shall not operate a motor vehicle with an object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed or applied on the windshield or side or rear windows or with an object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed or applied in or on the motor vehicle in a manner that obstructs or reduces a driver's clear view through the windshield or side or rear windows.

Alan, Does the above sentence mean that you can not affix a GPS to the windshied? When we bought ours,the instructions stated that it is illeagal in some states to affixed to the windshied. Is Arizona one of the states?

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
You are exactly right on this one.

We live, work, pay taxes etc in AZ. We were visiting relatives in La Habra and got pulled over for tinted window. The cop sad "I realizes tinted windows are legal in AZ but in Calif we consider it an obstruction." It was not a fix it ticket since we are from AZ, rather it was just a FINE for the privage of driving through their city with tinted windows. Cost us $85.00:swear

This is a misconception. Tinted windows are ILLEGAL in AZ, the same as they are in California.

Tint limits areread the link in my post, above.

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score

Alan, Does the above sentence mean that you can not affix a GPS to the windshied? When we bought ours,the instructions stated that it is illeagal in some states to affixed to the windshied. Is Arizona one of the states?

It could be construed as to make putting a GPS unit on the glass illegal. I have my Garmin mounted on the windshield. Garmin only states that it is specifically illegal in California and Minnesota.

In order to stand here, the officer would have to prove that it blocks your view.

Ms.Havasu

Reaction score
It could be construed as to make putting a GPS unit on the glass illegal. I have my Garmin mounted on the windshield. Garmin only states that it is specifically illegal in California and Minnesota.

In order to stand here, the officer would have to prove that it blocks your view.

Thanks Alan;

We have the Garmin as well and I remember it mentioning Calif.

Michele

Yellowboat

Reaction score
hmmm...

so the best way to avoid this is to not have your windows tinted in the 1st place :D

Scott E

Reaction score
Well, I've got one of those as well, I knew that when I got the windows tinted that it is illegal, I knew that I was taking a chance of getting a ticket, it is what it is, if you don't want to take the chance of getting the ticket, don't tint your windows... BTW, the CHP will get you for it, usually your city police wont even look twice...

Same here...It's like speeding...we all know treh speed limits, theya re posted every so often yet the vast majority of us, myself included, exceed the speed limits. So when I get pulled over for speeding I just take the ticket...I knew the consequences of breaking the law and getting caught...It's called taking responsibility for your actions...How can it be a waste of time when the officer is enforcing the law he/she has been sworn to enforce. They can't pick and choose what laws to enforce...

peter

Reaction score

Registering the vehicle in Arizona WONT do anything to stop you from getting a ticket in Kalifornia. Once you cross the state line your under Kalifornia's jurisdiction and laws.

Throughout the years I know of a few people from Az. who have either received window tint tickets or were given the option of removing it right then and there while the CHP watched and waited.

Its just an easy and obvious ticket for the cops to write.

What you need to do is have LEGAL tint applied.

Joker

Reaction score
Fine, let them continue wasting the money we pay in taxes. Where is the return for 1 hour cops labor for a 10 buck fix it ticket? I would say the cop just cost the state at least a hundred bucks.
Therefore, it's a waste of something. Want to bet the cops dont tint their windows? I know plenty of them that do.
I'm just saying its a bullshit ticket when you can see through the tint.

Joker

Reaction score
Same here...It's like speeding...we all know treh speed limits, theya re posted every so often yet the vast majority of us, myself included, exceed the speed limits. So when I get pulled over for speeding I just take the ticket...I knew the consequences of breaking the law and getting caught...It's called taking responsibility for your actions...How can it be a waste of time when the officer is enforcing the law he/she has been sworn to enforce. They can't pick and choose what laws to enforce...

You've got to be kidding me. They pick and choose who they want to pull over and for what. Depends whats up their ass or what you have that they dont.

AEA

Reaction score
You've got to be kidding me. They pick and choose who they want to pull over and for what. Depends whats up their ass or what you have that they dont.

What makes you so special that you shouldn't have to follow the law?

catman-do

Winter sux, lets golf!
Reaction score
Want to bet the cops dont tint their windows? I know plenty of them that do.

Actually some departments are starting to crack down on this. I know when I was going for Fontana, they physically walked out and took pictures of my truck. Reason being is that they said they had to set the first example on the laws in which they are trying to enforce.

Joker

Reaction score
What makes you so special that you shouldn't have to follow the law?

I'm never said I was special, I just said it's a big waste of tax dollars and peoples time, including mine.
You can't tell me they couldnt have been a little more creative if they were that bored.
My daughter asked me once why theres a law for everything in California, my response was that they make laws so that people break em, therefore bringing money into the coffers and pushing people out of the state.
Kinda like the weed law. Voters passed it, but they'll still arrest ya for it. Do I smoke it, no. Do I care if you do, no.
I guess what I'm really saying is with all the problems out there, dont bug me about a little film on my glass.

JetBoatCop

Reaction score
It is not a waste of time. Dark windows can be a BIG officer saftey issue. Thats why the law is there. Think about it, If you made a traffic stop at 12 A.M. and you couldn't see a thing in the offenders vehicle, it would make you pretty nervous. You don't know whats on the other side of that window or if someone is aiming at you through the rear window. It's to keep officers safe.

Ratso

Reaction score
It is not a waste of time. Dark windows can be a BIG officer saftey issue. Thats why the law is there. Think about it, If you made a traffic stop at 12 A.M. and you couldn't see a thing in the offenders vehicle, it would make you pretty nervous. You don't know whats on the other side of that window or if someone is aiming at you through the rear window. It's to keep officers safe.

Hopefully they never pull over a motor home or cargo van;)

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
It's not just the issue of Officer Safety, although that plays a big part.

Visibility is greatly reduced with tinted windows. Tint has been the cause of many "I didn't see the other car" collisions. Especially at night.

Laws aren't made just for the hell of it. You may think that police do accident reports just for insurance companies and lawyers. It's more for analyzing the causes of accidents/collisions and finding ways to reduce them. And one way to reduce them is passing laws against the conduct that caused the accident in the first place.

socalmoney

Reaction score
You could fall into this category which is totally legal.

CASE LAW:

Pretext Traffic Stops:

United States v. Willis (9th Cir. Dec. 19, 2005) 431 F.3rd 709

Rule: Stopping and detaining a person for a traffic offense is lawful even though the
officer is really interested in some suspected non-traffic-related criminal activity.

Baja Big Dog

Banned
Reaction score

Yea.then some fricken go-gooder will fricken report you!!:cool:

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score

It is a huge safety issue for us perps too!!! We could burn our butt cheeks on that fine corinthian leather on a scorching summer day if it wasn't for window tinting let alone burning our backs...look out california it won't be long before it's illegal to put tint on you windows in your own house. The po po won't be able to see inside and that would be dangerous. Oh no!!

Riodog

Reaction score
Alan, splain to us about the "prepass", toll road transponder, etc. They must be on the glass or they won't respond properly. There has to be an exception to the rule somewhere or the instructions that come with the above devices wouldn't so state.
Rio

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
I've had my fair share of tinted window tickets and have always just paid the fine to keep them on when didnt want to bother my LASD buddy to sign them off.

Joker

Reaction score
When we got ours done, we signed up for the $25.00 redo in case we had to peel em. No limits on how many times.
So this thing will end up being 35bucks.
Should help with the budget deficit.

Troy McClure

You may remember me...
Reaction score
I have two vehicles with tint, work truck and denali. I've also had a bunch of other vehicles (decently nice cars) with tint and have never been pulled over.

However, when I was first starting out I was in packaging sales. Had a POS Toyota Tercel and tinted the windows because I had to drive around in that thing all day in a coat and tie to visit customers. At the time it was my only car and it had, and looked like it had, a ton of miles on it. Used to get pulled over all the time for tint. Sucked. I used to sign off on the tickets myself, just scribble a name and number (copied from a legit sig) and send it in. Worked every time. Don't know if you can do that anymore, think it was just a fix it ticket, no fine.

Watch, I'll probably get pulled over tomorrow now. :fsakes:fsakes

EDIT:
Shit, was just trying to think. Maybe I did that with the loud exhaust tickets that I got on the bike? Getting way to old now, for all I know I just made that whole story up. :hmm:hmm:confused:

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
Alan, splain to us about the "prepass", toll road transponder, etc. They must be on the glass or they won't respond properly. There has to be an exception to the rule somewhere or the instructions that come with the above devices wouldn't so state.
Rio

There are exceptions in the law. Something like X number of square inches in the upper and lower corners, or across the top.

Lavey5150

Just one more
Reaction score
I have AZ plates on my XR 650, pure baja:D bike nothing legal about it emissions and noise wise, do I care, No, I ride it all the time in Cali and have been lucky enough not to get harrassed. Received a tint ticket in Needles last year in July at 6 thirty AM,not speeding, one bored cop, he pulled me over for mudflaps and went w/ the tint ticket only, thanks pal............10 bucks to them and 75.00 in new tint............:swear

cave

Reaction score
This is a misconception. Tinted windows are ILLEGAL in AZ, the same as they are in California.

Tint limits areread the link in my post, above.

Whewwww. So depending on the translucently of the film you can still have tint in AZ just needs to fall within the law.
I was getting ready to call the cops over from starbucks to write all my neighbors tickets.:smackhead No dunken donuts here.

zbudman

Coors Light Strong
Reaction score
Tinted windows, no front plate and mud flaps....easy pickens that usually lead to something bigger.