WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Are flat bottoms still alive?

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...Well I hate to say this and I don’t have any photographic proof as of yet ...but I think my 1963 Hallett with a 63 1/2 Ford 4 bolt 406 in it...has burned to the ground... in the fire that just took out the town of Berry Creek...👎...
296559F4-2597-4E6E-89FB-53F7FAB947EC.jpeg

wash11

Reaction score

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
I think my heart just broke reading that.
...Mine too when I first got word that the fire most likely took out everything I had up there...
...Supposed to be a marine insurance guy working for Ace/Chubb insurance going up tomorrow to video and photograph...
...I definitely get your lifestyle as I had 100 acres to myself in Berry Creek for 20 years...
... This is going to be interesting but painfull talking to the marine surveyer as I lay here in a hospital ER bed waiting to get transferred to another hospital???...Things are just not going my way...
...Now that I think about it things are just really not going real well for most everyone...

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
...Mine too when I first got word that the fire most likely took out everything I had up there...
...Supposed to be a marine insurance guy working for Ace/Chubb insurance going up tomorrow to video and photograph...
...I definitely get your lifestyle as I had 100 acres to myself in Berry Creek for 20 years...
... This is going to be interesting but painfull talking to the marine surveyer as I lay here in a hospital ER bed waiting to get transferred to another hospital???...Things are just not going my way...
...Now that I think about it things are just really not going real well for most everyone...

None of this is good to read. Get better soon!

wash11

Reaction score
...Well I hate to say this and I don’t have any photographic proof as of yet ...but I think my 1963 Hallett with a 63 1/2 Ford 4 bolt 406 in it...has burned to the ground... in the fire that just took out the town of Berry Creek...👎...
View attachment 931916

I keep going back to this pic. FYI, this is the boat I'm looking for. FE and all. I had a 65 or 66 (can't remember cuz I'm getting old). I paid $500 for it with a scattered 390. A few weeks earlier I had paid $200 for a wrecked 66 Mercury Park Lane with a running 410. Me and a buddy had it running in the boat in about 7 Budweiser's and on the lake the next morning. I even left the Mercury valve covers on it and eventually had Drums down in Parker chrome them. That was before digital cameras and the few pics I had have been lost.

Terminal Velocity

Reaction score
We just brought 2 boats back from Wisconsin, getting them unloaded out of the Semi. a 60's Rayson with a 413 Chrysler and a Rocket hull. Will get pics up when we get them unloaded. Pic of a 413 with the same intake manifold. Old School Cool.
1602690345821.png

wash11

Reaction score
We just brought 2 boats back from Wisconsin, getting them unloaded out of the Semi. a 60's Rayson with a 413 Chrysler and a Rocket hull. Will get pics up when we get them unloaded. Pic of a 413 with the same intake manifold. Old School Cool.
View attachment 931963

Fug yes! That intake is dreamy[emoji3590]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sintax

Reaction score

I'm so bummed to hear you've been struggling like this, and the health issues are just icing on the cake. Did the fire get your Sanger Circle runner too?

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
I keep going back to this pic. FYI, this is the boat I'm looking for. FE and all. I had a 65 or 66 (can't remember cuz I'm getting old). I paid $500 for it with a scattered 390. A few weeks earlier I had paid $200 for a wrecked 66 Mercury Park Lane with a running 410. Me and a buddy had it running in the boat in about 7 Budweiser's and on the lake the next morning. I even left the Mercury valve covers on it and eventually had Drums down in Parker chrome them. That was before digital cameras and the few pics I had have been lost.
.... I hear ya...this is been a really fun boat for I guess about 18 years???...95% faded original...I put an adjustable plate on it which helped immensely with the porpousing...
...Funny thing though is there is/was a set of mercury 410 Valve covers hanging on the wall in my work shop up there... my guess is they are now probably melted tin ???...

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
I'm so bummed to hear you've been struggling like this, and the health issues are just icing on the cake. Did the fire get your Sanger Circle runner too?
...Well thank you Very much for your concern and thoughts...Luckily the Sanger Runner escaped the carnage...It is is still sitting in my driveway in North Hollywood...
...I am lying here in my new hospital bed In Glendale Ca and they won’t let me take any of my regular meds until I see their doctor...To say that I am in mild discomfort would be a huge understatement...Oh well???...

77charger

Reaction score
Honestly if I buy a flatbottom I’d buy one as a second boat to rip in the smooth water wheter it’s early or evening. And it be a t deck big power aspirated engine.
Don’t think I’d buy as a primary driver even midweek myself but they look like they be fun boats to haul ass in. 🤔😁

Taboma

Reaction score
My understanding is it's a Gray Marine 327 fireball v8, and I believe it's based off the AMC engines. I'll have more info when i get off work and can put my hands on it to start running engine serial numbers.

:p😂:cool:

Same Fireball AMC 327 my dad had in his 57' Mercury Mustang --- Mercury as in Bill Nollenberger. Pretty fast hull for it's time, much flatter bottom than the Chris Crafts of those days.
Back then, the engine credits went to Packard, who the year before had started supplying them to AMC under some agreement. My first real boat at age 16, real meaning not a baby Sabot Saily boat, was the 16' Mercury Sabre with a flat head 6.

That Rocket is really a cool boat 👍 👍 👍

Bill Nollenberger Mercury Boats  specs.jpg

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
From 95' (the first year I got a flat) to 2012 I spent a week in October in Parker, absolutely love it there this time of year, be cautious though because the weekends can still be brutal, I sunk my Sanger there in 2012 and I was moving when she went down... so freaking big ass boats out there that have no clue what their wakes do. I really miss it, due to a job change I just cannot get away during October... Late April and early May are pretty nice out there as well...

sanger 7 2019.jpg

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
I typically don't go after May and with October half gone am trying to figure how to get out for this month. Love Oct at the river.

DUN

Reaction score
Still alive? Flatties are quite literally all my family and I have ever known. Also it may be placebo, but I do feel like there is a growing interest in them.

...Well it’s official everything up at my Berry Creek property is now ashes...
... The closest to my heart loss was definitely the Hallett...
... it doesn’t look like this anymore...
View attachment 932128 View attachment 932127

Very sorry to hear all of this, Sir. Best wishes.

wash11

Reaction score
I'm more pumped about this day dream than I have been in years, keep dropping them flatty pics!

renodaytona

Reaction score
A v-drive runner bottom is on my list to build now, been wanting a flatty and have the itch to build one. I might even yank the motor out of the Daytona and toss that in it and put something mild back in the Daytona.

Terminal Velocity

Reaction score
Yeah, Jim messaged me the details. I wonder what else Truitt has stashed away...? :cool:

On another note, I upgraded my photo equipment. Instead of 14 year old junk I've moved up to 5 year old junk. Probably going to take a while to get familiar with it. :)
That’s the million dollar question. When Sticks picked them up Truitt sent him to the wrong storage unit and they towed the boats to him. I don’t think Truitt wants anyone to know what’s truly in the halls of time😎😂