WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Are there any freeways left in SoCal not under construction?

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
Can’t tell if traffic sucks because more people are out/working or if it’s all this damn construction. I swear every freeway around me is torn up.

Surprised they still have cones available 😀

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
It's crazy how every road is under construction.. lol

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Remember how fast the freeways were repaired after the last big earthquake ? Why can’t we now accomplish the same ?
The Northridge quake 26 years ago? Those guys are retired. :p

riverroyal

Reaction score
Im praying that people are leaving and covid creates more stay at home jobs

zhandfull

Reaction score
Cones, no problem. Now cement and ready mix products I hear are in short supply do to Covid and black outs.
Last time there was a shortage was before the Great Recession.

c_land

Reaction score
They finished making all the freeways in the Bay Area and Sacramento 10 lanes and perfectly smooth. Now we get the left overs

hawgty55

Reaction score
Its not just California over the last couple years of traveling road construction is everywhere and takes forever to complete!! I remember when the 15/215 split was re-done it took for ever but also was done quickly and had millions of dollars in bonus money for early completion. Which they met.
Are all projects setup like this in California as far as early completion money?

hallett3

Reaction score
Damn I wish they would just clean up the trash along the freeways. It’s horrible

KevinR

Reaction score
Sure seems to me the freeways rebuilt/expanded the past 10 years or so have terrible quality with respect to concrete being smooth. Drove west bound on the 60 yesterday between the 605 and Montebello area and nearly needed a 5 point harness!

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Can’t tell if traffic sucks because more people are out/working or if it’s all this damn construction. I swear every freeway around me is torn up.

I can guarantee you that Highway 259 in San Bernardino is construction free. That's about it, as the 215, 10 and 210 (including the part that used to be called the 30) has all got something going on, and even with this covid situation , they are taking their sweet time about it.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
I always wondered why they start projects on multiple freeways instead of throwing man power at one or two projects and completing them in a timely fashion instead of years later.

I always wonder why they couldn't have done just a little more back when they first built the freeway (if they could have thought ahead a little) that would have made later expansions far less painful. It seems they never did bridges and overpasses over the freeway the full width and length in terms of expecting it to grow, so years later the majority of the work goes into replacing them. If they had done that right from the beginning, then all they would have needed to do now was grade and pave to add lanes.

Of course we are talking government here, who never has the time or funds to do it right initially, but somehow finds the time and funds to do it over later.

SCV2RVR

Reaction score
They just started a 3 year project on the 210 freeway through Sylmar. Once the full level of traffic is back it is going to be a horrible commute through there

RVRKID

Reaction score
I just hate that they take years to do the freeway expansions and by the time they finish we have already outgrew that project. The Cajon Pass is still a fucking mess on Fridays and Sundays.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
I always wonder why they couldn't have done just a little more back when they first built the freeway (if they could have thought ahead a little) that would have made later expansions far less painful. It seems they never did bridges and overpasses over the freeway the full width and length in terms of expecting it to grow, so years later the majority of the work goes into replacing them. If they had done that right from the beginning, then all they would have needed to do now was grade and pave to add lanes.

Of course we are talking government here, who never has the time or funds to do it right initially, but somehow finds the time and funds to do it over later.

You gotta remember alot of the freeways started as two lane roads.

Here is my exit the 5 and el toro road back in the 50's. now its 20 lanes.... The people built around the freeways in orange county. The freeways really enabled urban sprawl. Businesses sprung up around them hemming them in.
1598033950717.png

Heres a cool article about the 405.

This is what the el toro marine base looked like in 1965.

1598034570359.png

I dont think anyone knew what was coming to be honest....

In cities like LA they didnt have the room to begin with. Here is the 101 under construction This was formerly Artesia Blvd.

1598035498959.png

This is a hell of a rabbit hole to go down and actually some of the stuff they did in LA to bring in the freeways is pretty incredible. Building the aquaduct is another cool time waster if you're ever bored.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Cones, no problem. Now cement and ready mix products I hear are in short supply do to Covid and black outs.
Last time there was a shortage was before the Great Recession.
Ironically enough, both shortages caused by the Chinese.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

RodnJen

Reaction score
Not sure that’s entirely true. I know the 405 Construction between the 55/605 is paid by Fastrack.

No it’s not. Part of it is paid with OCTA Measure M 1/2 sales tax. Part will be financed with bonds backed by future toll revenues and the rest is from a federal DOT TIFIA loan, secured by sales tax. Both the 91 and 405 Express Lanes are owned by OCTA.

Last edited:

77charger

Reaction score
Overlooking the states overall pictures more contruction zones = double fine zones =citations written =more money for the state from penalty assesments!!

Yup thats it LOL