WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Are you ready for when the SHTF? Know any "Preppers?"

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Yesterday I'm talking to a friend. He's in the aero/defense industry involved in military UAVs (drones). The stuff he was telling me was from Sgt. Prepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band :eek:

* Said to keep watch for the Russians (I agreed with him that Putin is a very scary/bad dude)
* Told me the Russians have hypersonic missiles (yeah, I know) that go underwater (WTF?!) using some sort of water distortion technology/magnetic shielding so the weapon can travel through the water at that speed and "our subs are fucked"
* The good news is he said we have electromagnetic rail guns mounted on destroyers that use sachets that can horizontally saw complete ships in half at the water line (I know about the rail guns but not that detail)
* I asked him if he heard about the mysterious drones reported to be flying over Colorado and Nebraska. Of course he has. He told me they're "not of this world" as "they're not traditionally power driven" - said they're on high alert and he couldn't say anything more on the subject.
* His advice to me was "bury water on my property and a remote outlying area and buy ammunition." He told me he has a portable filtration system for water using ceramic filtration. And he said he wants to get a UV water purifier that he can power with his 4x4 truck.
* And finally he said all of the ammo bought by the Feds/Homeland Security was .40 and when the SHTF, .40 cal is what's going to be most available on the black market (I heard the Feds bought up all the black guns and 5.56 ammo but I'm not on top of my Survivalist stuff :D

I'm not a SHTF prepper guy but like most people I've thought about it for more than a few minutes. I've seen the survivalist forums and the gun forums and hey, I'm here too. Some of this stuff does make the hair stand up on the back of my neck. I've seen the movies - The Book of Eli, The Road, Z is for Zachariah.

What about you? Are you a get ready for when the SHTF? You a prepper?

hallett21

Reaction score
Actually have started working on this.

We have about 5 gallons of bottled water for emergencies only.

Plenty of firearms and ammo.

I keep a 6500w Honda generator at the house.

If something went down in LA we’ll be heading ideally to havasu or another property.

I just bought everyone updated Thomas guides for their cars. Always park my truck at night with a full tank of fuel.

I want to put together 2 go bags for my wife and I. Thinking 3 full sets of clothes, power bars, athletic shoes, fire arm with ammo, vhf radio. Hopefully at least one of us could get home.

My biggest concern is being out on a job site or my wife being at work if a natural disaster happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I have a few things in place but am in no way a “prepper” water stored in certain places. Fuel supplies on hand. Ability to go some time “off grid”. Some items to defend myself and mine.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
question for those of you in so Cal..........if the shtf how are you going to get out of southern California ???? the roads and freeways are going to be fuked bad

I have always been of the mindset it will be necessary to hunker down for a bit, And then exit. Having a network of safe stops along the way will help for sure.

Bear Down

Reaction score
question for those of you in so Cal..........if the shtf how are you going to get out of southern California ???? the roads and freeways are going to be fuked bad

I work in DTLA, I'm sure i'll be one of the 1st gone, but my family does have a very Vanilla Contingency plan if Clouds develop here, we've discussed it and probable situations and what to do.. We are about 40 miles inland, so they have an hours head start, hopefully it buys them enough time to grab a happy meal for the kids and a starbucks for the wife before they melt...

Last edited:

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
I could Dual-sport it out of OC, but my wife and pups would be screwed so I guess I’d die.

lebel409

Reaction score
I've thought about getting a buggout bag...I went through the list and found out my backpack already has it all. Being a Boy scout means you've already got 90% of what you need.

Russians are way outta my pay grade, I'm more worried about Trump and Newsom.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
I'm not a prepper but i do have a few contingency plans floating around. Most of them involve digging in where I am at. That would not be too hard as I am solidly out of town. My real concerns are for me and the kid (4) being at work and school in Sac. Once we got home, I could probably handle the situation without too much excitement for a while. I also have the cab over and a trailer behind it if I need to bail after some time. All the plans are not fully ready but I keep enough fuel, guns, ammo, generators, shelter and food at the place to make something work. Not optimal setups but could be made to work. I want to upgrade a few of those steps but time and money.......
I am well within walking distance of Sacramento, about 20 miles, so I would still be in the danger zone as things degenerate. On that note though, it all depends what happens. I am not worries about the giant asteroid type thing, I am more worried about the "Katrina" style events along with the LA riots, and even serious disease outbreaks. An event that kills most people on the planet, My family and I will most likely not live through anyway. I am worried about regional or event that kill 1%. The disruption to all the normal supply chains like food, energy and such would be stunning.
Realistically the most serious threats are a few days or week long power outage, civil unrest, or California pulling an Argentina. None of these mean living off grid indefinitely just having to get through some rough times with intermittent availability of resources we take for granted. This is more the direction I am gearing. Now saying this I do not live in the LA or SD complexes. These are a little more complicated because of predatory practices that will arise and be tougher to deal with.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

Lol.

Only hope is to leave the second anything begins to happen while everyone else is complaining on Nextdoor, IG, FB and Twitter.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
This is a subject I wouldn't expect to see here. Catches me a bit off guard.

One of the reasons we picked where we did was the kind of prepper decision. In Ca, my jobsites averaged 50-60 miles from my home. At home, we had a few hundred gallons of water, and food. Getting there...could be an issue. Most times I carried a fiream torndown, in my work truck. In a lawless time, no one will give a shit though. Most construction dorks know how to get home via surface streets...wives, or people that are office types and transplants, may not. They should.

All household members should be trained with firearms. Regardless of owning them, knowing how to use them, or what they can do, it's important.

Same with first aid. Take a class. If shtf, your family is on it's own. Take no offense, not worried about you. I worry about kids. Have stuff on hand for worst case scenario. Like a gun, better to have and not need, than need and not have.

In terms of a "go bag", different than a "get home bag". Go bag will be for leaving home base for an undetermined amount of time...real serious thought, and pretty heavy. "Get home bag", trunk or truck bag. Food, water and meds to survive to get to basecamp. Comfy, but worn, shoes and clothes. A used bagpack, easy to carry or run. Ditch the dress shirt and slacks, try to look like you were homeless before shtf.

Icky

Reaction score
My bag has a Hammer, duct tape and a condom......:D

If we have to leave the house, we have a toyhauler, just probably not enough diesel to go anywhere meaningful

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
A lot of Real life experience in these books.
Many of the things we might believe to be the best courses of action may not actually be the best courses of action.

F411336E-3EE3-43C3-9BD2-D45D17165D40.jpeg

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
We no longer have a second place to get away to, so hunker down in place is most likely. We have one of those big buckets with six months of freeze dried food in it. A pool full of water, various means of protection, firewood, propane tanks, generator, gas, tools. A pantry full of canned goods.

The main worry is a giant earthquake really. I doubt we will be invaded by any other nation(s). Disease or Zombie Apocolypse sounds rad, but is only the stuff of movies. At one point we had a bunch of 4x4s, a camper, a mobile in the desert and a more solid plan.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
It's easy to get sucked into the Apocalypse now mindset.
More natural disaster stuff. Reminds me I need to freshen up all my fuel. And my propane is low. Used to have dirt bikes that could get us all out. Only have one now. When I lived in Santa Clarita I was confident am I bility to get out. Now I'm back in the valley things would be difficult.
If I'm stuck at work I could live comfortably. If I get stuck on the road I'm good for a few days. Think about how much time you spend at work, that's a good 50 hours you need to cover for. At homes another story.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
I'm on a dozen acres. Off grid. Solar and generator. Thousand gallons of water. Not really a prepper. Just life as usual. Probably a weeks worth of food and gas. A months worth of fire wood. Side arm and a scatter gun. I think I'll be fine, depending on the situation.

Dan'l

jones performance

Reaction score
when i lived in socal i had a bugout bag prepared and some other shit. then one day i tried to head out of town to the river on a holiday weekend. it took me almost 4 hours to get to victimville from upland. after that i realized that in a shtf scenario you arent going anywhere for some time. if your in la area, where are you realistically gonna go? fuel is your limitation in a vehicle. you will most likely run out and wont be able to get more depending on how far you are trying to go. you will most likely get shot, robbed etc along the way as well when you pass someone that needs what you have..

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Barring natural disaster, an “apocalypse” will be subtle in its development.
We can already interpret some signs as the beginning when simply analyzing our current state of Government, along with some social developments such as the “zombie” hoard of addicts labeled as homeless.
We already have road warrior existence in some areas...we just avoid those areas as “normal” people.
Slowing and halting of services is underway. We complain, but don’t register it. (Shutdowns of power in CA, for a quick example).
A foreign attack will not be full frontal. It will be after we are vulnerable from within. When banks limit withdrawals, ATM’s shut down, gas rationing. All these types of things are signs.

squeezer

Reaction score
Seismic event is the most likely disruption here. Our cars all have crash bags. (Decent walking shoes, some water, powerbars, first aid kits, etc) The most important thing is to have a plan in place with the family. The wife and I know exactly what the other person is going to do in case communications are down. There is enough food and water at the house to hunker down for a month as well.

Don't view this as a "Prepper" mindset as much as a basic function of taking care of the family.

PaPaG

Reaction score
Remember folks if we ever get hit with an EMP blast you are shit out of luck, your vehicles, RV's, Motorcycles, Boats, Gennys, Electronics and even your entire house electronics will be toast unless protected. There are many EMP protection devices out there and many many home made projects that will do the same as expensive products. Also probably unpractical for many but to add in another layer of protection at home or go bags building a Faraday protection system for your vehicles and gennys and even emergency electronics can be very helpful and not take up a lot of time or money. I am not a dooms dayer at all but it is nice to know enough about the basics about EMP's, CME's (Coronal Mass Ejections) that can take out a power grid that will positively help you in cases of these types of attacks or natural disasters.

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
In all reality where can a mass of like minded people go and evade others? There are way to many bodies, society likes to be a piece of shit (look at riots, mass shooting, looting etc) and you think nobody else has a destination in mind like you? It's a daunting thought but we are literally ready to hurt each other over politics and the news, if these people were to loose the internet and creature comforts they are used to I see very few people getting through. Yes there are tons of light in the loafers people out there that should not pose much of an obstacle but get thousands and thousands trying to evade a threat??? Everyone is fucked and that's before the military steps in to dictate. Unless you already have a mountain hideout that is a bitch to access and survive on a good day I say good luck.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
when i lived in socal i had a bugout bag prepared and some other shit. then one day i tried to head out of town to the river on a holiday weekend. it took me almost 4 hours to get to victimville from upland. after that i realized that in a shtf scenario you arent going anywhere for some time. if your in la area, where are you realistically gonna go? fuel is your limitation in a vehicle. you will most likely run out and wont be able to get more depending on how far you are trying to go. you will most likely get shot, robbed etc along the way as well when you pass someone that needs what you have..

Lol...Yep!!

The guy with a 1999 Tacoma with 50+ gallons of gas, off road tires, a glock .40, and AR or Mini will drive right by the dead family in a gutted dually with the burned out 5th wheel still attached.
If ones plan is to latch on to the trailer and ease out of town, you might want to stage that shit 100 miles down the road somewhere! Especially if you start seeing signs and getting that uneasy feeling.
Then just jump in the smart car and initiate your plan.

But I am biased. I follow Fernandos real life logic about avoiding siege situations along with low profile survival/ advancement.
Being “loaded down” is not a plus, it’s a liability in most scenarios.
Staying put is, for most, a liability.
This isn’t always true of course.
An organized stronghold can be defended pretty easily, but this is something you’ll only see effective with full blown preppers that actively practice and rehearse.

No, in my situation I’m all about mobility and rogue.

jeteater1

Jet boats suck
Reaction score
Out where I live , two years we lost power for 10 days. If that would of happened in the city could imagine all the robberies that would happen. Out here if you don't have power you don't have water. Generators are a must have.

squeezer

Reaction score
Depending on where one lives the best course of action may be to stay put... Assuming environmental dangers are not a factor (fire, flood, building stability, etc) Sitting in your dark living room with water and Sardines for an extended period of time is much better than being on the road. Generators make noise, noise draws people. Same with lights... The reality of actually "Bugging Out" is much different than what people think it is.

Cdog

Reaction score
Bug in and vote from the roof tops. Food, water, arms, ammo taken care of. It would really suck if the electricity went out in summer though.

Reactions: DWC

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Remember folks if we ever get hit with an EMP blast you are shit out of luck, your vehicles, RV's, Motorcycles, Boats, Gennys, Electronics and even your entire house electronics will be toast unless protected. There are many EMP protection devices out there and many many home made projects that will do the same as expensive products. Also probably unpractical for many but to add in another layer of protection at home or go bags building a Faraday protection system for your vehicles and gennys and even emergency electronics can be very helpful and not take up a lot of time or money. I am not a dooms dayer at all but it is nice to know enough about the basics about EMP's, CME's (Coronal Mass Ejections) that can take out a power grid that will positively help you in cases of these types of attacks or natural disasters.
There are some advantages for people that have knowledge of "antiques". These days, that includes knowledge of cars and trucks with points, carbs and old school voltage regulators. Also, an old school Cummins or IDI Ford...manual trans or non-overdrive auto. I have 2 gensets here that are pre-circuit board as well. It would really depend on the severity of the CME or EMP, location and power. Something the size of the Carrington event and all bets are off.
A lot of Real life experience in these books.
Many of the things we might believe to be the best courses of action may not actually be the best courses of action.

View attachment 834525
Ferfal's book was really good. There is another from a guy from Slovenia maybe? He went into warzone type breakdown of society he lived through. Surviving with family, losing family and things done you wouldn't consider in normal times. This was from war in the 90's, not WWII, so things were more comparable to today.

History is our best teacher. Both in terms of society's tides, and what people learned in previous generations. I kind of wonder if that's why the kids aren't taught some things now.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
There are some advantages for people that have knowledge of "antiques". These days, that includes knowledge of cars and trucks with points, carbs and old school voltage regulators. Also, an old school Cummins or IDI Ford...manual trans or non-overdrive auto. I have 2 gensets here that are pre-circuit board as well. It would really depend on the severity of the CME or EMP, location and power. Something the size of the Carrington event and all bets are off.

Ferfal's book was really good. There is another from a guy from Slovenia maybe? He went into warzone type breakdown of society he lived through. Surviving with family, losing family and things done you wouldn't consider in normal times. This was from war in the 90's, not WWII, so things were more comparable to today.

History is our best teacher. Both in terms of society's tides, and what people learned in previous generations. I kind of wonder if that's why the kids aren't taught some things now.

I found “surviving the economic collapse” to be his most informative. That book is a real eye opener.
His other books are good, but do have some redundancy.

Dana757

Reaction score
I kinda am. I do a lot of back county camping. Always have the gear, extra gas and with a weeks worth of food / water in the Jeep. All I would have to do is grab my guns. Even if I couldn't get out of town I'd at least be better prepared then most. I can see earthquakes being more of a threat.

Taboma

Reaction score
One thing I've learned in my 72 years, doesn't matter the field of expertise, rocket scientists, physicist, chemical engineer, brain surgeon, LEO, or day laborer, those credentials don't mean you aren't Bat-Shit-Crazy :rolleyes: :D
Spent a couple of years doing work on the UCSD campus, listening to the various Research Scientists pointing out the Theoretical Scientists warning me that "Those Guys" are fuckin crazy. :p:p:p
In fact one of my close friends who holds more science degrees then most folks know exists, truly and literally believes God made the Universe in 7 REAL days and the earth is just a bit over 4K years old.
He and I have over the years had the most fascinating discussions, mostly him talking, me listening.
I've often thought how I'd love to sit and listen to this guy debate with GMAC, lol :eek: :p

Anyway, the first "Prepper" close friend that schooled me to the fact we only had a short period of time to prepare for the almost immediate inevitable end of civilized life was back in 1966. :rolleyes:
I'm still waiting, although at this age, I'm caring less, but regardless, 14 years ago we bought out "Just in Case" refuge.
Only problem is, I can't help but notice the beautiful blue sky above is a damned freeway of "ChemTrail" dropping airliners :eek::eek:
Then there's those pesky damned mountain lions, so living in a tent is for sure not recommended. :eek:

I suppose my point is, I'm not quite sure how credible this info is, despite WhatExit's friend working in the UAV industry.
GA or Grumman ?

Reactions: DWC

450grip

Reaction score
i work in the valley. getting home to long beach is probably impossible in the event of a major "event". all my vehicles carry: cable cutters, bolt cutters, full bags of tools, ropes, slings, and the ability to engage hostile targets if needed.
my first choice would be driving the LA river as my road home, or getting as close as possible.

musicFunsun

I Love BoBo!!!
Reaction score
The book the Stand come to mind reading this thread! Earthquake or bomb, one bag for both is all we have;) Used to have alternate routes to get home from Whittier and LA when I worked there. Guess it’s time to research routes heading east from Loma Linda!

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Cars will be mostly fine in the event of an EMP.. car mfgs have done some testing with them.. you just have to restart the car if it was running. This depends on where it is parked and a few other factors, but cars won’t be rendered useless.

Nordie

Reaction score
I would say one thing to consider is if SHTF you may not have cell phone service. Ham radio will always work, very easy to pass the test and have a couple of inexpensive radios. Even GMRS, you can buy a license and use GMRS repeaters, and your license will cover your immediate family.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
hehehe..... put down the crack pipe.... go breath a little fresh air....
do you remember the status of this country the day before they swore in Obama ?

... super sonic speed underwater..... good grief.... :rolleyes:

Remember the “tic tac” video recorded by a fighter commander during excersizes off the CA coast?
That object was in fact transmedia.
Our subs monitored it after it plunged into the sea. It did NOT reach anything near supersonic, lol...but it did reach submersed speeds of 120+ knots. I don’t know if it’s true, but the military guy telling of this event stated that it was twice as fast underwater as any known transmedia craft that we currently have.

LakeBeard

Reaction score

that's honestly my biggest concern, just getting out town could turn bloody.

Taboma

Reaction score
Remember the “tic tac” video recorded by a fighter commander during excersizes off the CA coast?
That object was in fact transmedia.
Our subs monitored it after it plunged into the sea. It did NOT reach anything near supersonic, lol...but it did reach submersed speeds of 120+ knots. I don’t know if it’s true, but the military guy telling of this event stated that it was twice as fast underwater as any known transmedia craft that we currently have.

Got any links regarding the transmedia "Facts", or was it just some military guy or somebody claiming to be telling a story ?
Not challenging your statement, just find this shit interesting.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
If there is an imminent threat that our military cannot handle, then I doubt water and ammunition are gonna help me.
No shit...they're prepared and well backed...
If that shit show starts, I'm going to just cook a big steak and sit down as a family and enjoy what time is left.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Yesterday I'm talking to a friend. He's in the aero/defense industry involved in military UAVs (drones). The stuff he was telling me was from Sgt. Prepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band :eek:

* Said to keep watch for the Russians (I agreed with him that Putin is a very scary/bad dude)
* Told me the Russians have hypersonic missiles (yeah, I know) that go underwater (WTF?!) using some sort of water distortion technology/magnetic shielding so the weapon can travel through the water at that speed and "our subs are fucked"
* The good news is he said we have electromagnetic rail guns mounted on destroyers that use sachets that can horizontally saw complete ships in half at the water line (I know about the rail guns but not that detail)
* I asked him if he heard about the mysterious drones reported to be flying over Colorado and Nebraska. Of course he has. He told me they're "not of this world" as "they're not traditionally power driven" - said they're on high alert and he couldn't say anything more on the subject.
* His advice to me was "bury water on my property and a remote outlying area and buy ammunition." He told me he has a portable filtration system for water using ceramic filtration. And he said he wants to get a UV water purifier that he can power with his 4x4 truck.
* And finally he said all of the ammo bought by the Feds/Homeland Security was .40 and when the SHTF, .40 cal is what's going to be most available on the black market (I heard the Feds bought up all the black guns and 5.56 ammo but I'm not on top of my Survivalist stuff :D

I'm not a SHTF prepper guy but like most people I've thought about it for more than a few minutes. I've seen the survivalist forums and the gun forums and hey, I'm here too. Some of this stuff does make the hair stand up on the back of my neck. I've seen the movies - The Book of Eli, The Road, Z is for Zachariah.

What about you? Are you a get ready for when the SHTF? You a prepper?

That's all fine and dandy, but...

What did he say about Dinar??

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
I would say one thing to consider is if SHTF you may not have cell phone service. Ham radio will always work, very easy to pass the test and have a couple of inexpensive radios. Even GMRS, you can buy a license and use GMRS repeaters, and your license will cover your immediate family.
The government of commiefornia has now deemed ham radio repeaters non-essential. will not pay for upkeep and if you maintain one on public lands you have to pay rent.

Nordie

Reaction score
The government of commiefornia has now deemed ham radio repeaters non-essential. will not pay for upkeep and if you maintain one on public lands you have to pay rent.

Yeah I read an article on that, just another way to strip people of their freedoms and also try to make money on the deal. Luckily I am not located in a communist state and repeaters are very abundant and open to Hams. People can still put up towers and host repeaters from home in California, you bet your ass there's many of them. Also Hams can get in with radio station/news sites and use their areas for their repeaters. RF is everywhere and you can't just make it dissapear. In fact if you could physically see RF you wouldn't even be able to see out of your front window.

Last edited:

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Got any links regarding the transmedia "Facts", or was it just some military guy or somebody claiming to be telling a story ?
Not challenging your statement, just find this shit interesting.

There was no physical evidence presented to back up the transmedia report.

The sonar guy on board the sub wouldn’t speak on camera.
The guy on the carrier escort that was recording all transmissions said that higher ups came on board and pulled the recordings.
But the Flight commander and his wingman both said that when first spotted the “tic Tac” appeared to be a downed aircraft floating on the water.
That’s what they thought it was at first. The video starts after that when it took flight. So speed aside it seems clear to them (and the ex Skunkworks engineers that viewed it) that the craft was transmedia, whoever’s it is.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Hang out for a bit and wait for the first wave to flee or die.

Eventually head to the closest marina with a bunch of tools,food, guns and ammo.

Find a decent manageable sailboat that's equipped with rods,reels and a water maker.

Enjoy the rest of my life sailing for warm waters before my insulin supply dries up and I die and turn into a zombie...haha