WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Arizona NBSIF Fee - Apparently AZ is not far behind CA in taxation.

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
Are you saying to visit Lake Havasu Nautical resort in AZ coming from Californy I am required to pay for a
Nonresident Boating Safety Infrastructure Fee to moore at Lake Havasu Nautical resort?

This is to REGISTER the boat. You know. Numbers on the bow, annual decal, registration form/slip. You know, like you do to get license plates for your car.

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
This is to REGISTER the boat. You know. Numbers on the bow, annual decal, registration form/slip. You know, like you do to get license plates for your car.
Yeah i know i just paid 57 bucks for my Boat this month, the question was Am I going to do more to enjoy the River on the AZ side?
I just googled it, No problem
Vessels registered in another state or country may operate on Arizona waters for 90 consecutive days before Arizona registration and numbering are required

Last edited:

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
Yeah i know i just paid 57 bucks for my Boat this month, the question was Am I going to do more to enjoy the River on the AZ side?
I just googled it, No problem
Vessels registered in another state or country may operate on Arizona waters for 90 consecutive days before Arizona registration and numbering are required

Doesn't matter which side. The Colorado River is a multi-state - joint jurisdiction waterway. Someone who boats on the Colorado River the majority of the time can register in Arizona or California. Arizona or Nevada. Or Arizona and Utah. Depending on the exact location along the River/Lakes.

Even if you own a California registered DCB and only go from Windsor Launch to the Channel, you are still legal with CA registration.

And the 90 day deal is pretty much unenforceable. As soon as the boat is removed from the water, the 90 day clock starts over. Even if only pulled onto the trailer on the ramp, and immediately re-launched. An officer would have to have the boat on the water under direct view 24 hours a day for 90 days straight.

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
Nevada is where you want to go.
I do not believe they have a non-resident fee. There are no questions on where the boat is stored—only where the boat is used.
My 24’ was $55 + $10 for invasive aquatic species.

Shhhh! We don’t want too many people finding out about that and then fucking it up for us when they all come to NV.

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
Arizona Game and Fish is 100% funded by Licensing Fees (Boat, Hunt & Fish), Federal Grants, and civil penalties assessed by the Commission (not Courts) for Hunting/Fishing violations. They use ZERO state tax (income, sales, property) or any other state monies. Likewise, the State of Arizona gets ZERO money from Game and Fish fees or civil sanctions.

Understood. All the more reason to keep the fees as competitive as possible. Where people such as those that boat on Havasu have the option to register either in CA or AZ, I’d be sure to give as much incentive to as many boats as possible to register in whatever jurisdiction I was in charge of.

In a dual state deal like Havasu, it’s a good chance boaters would be using the services (cops, docks, etc.) provided by both states. In my mind it makes sense for each state to capture as many boat registrations they can to keep the cash flow healthy, even if it means charging less for each one. Really it’s just a business where capturing market share is important.

bryzmon

Not a Member
Reaction score
Does the California 1% depreciate over time? If I move my boat to AZ for a couple of years and then move it back to CA, how is the "luxury tax" value calculated by California?

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
Does the California 1% depreciate over time? If I move my boat to AZ for a couple of years and then move it back to CA, how is the "luxury tax" value calculated by California?

Yes and they use NADA to calculate. I bought a used boat in CA. Registered it in AZ as a non res to avoid CA luxury tax. Kept in in AZ until the boat value dropped enough where the CA reg and Lux tax were cheaper than AZ non res. Should have just reg it in NV though in first place tho.

rvrrun

Reaction score
I think the non-resident fee is well worth it not to have ugly quagga sticker on our boats.

C-2

Reaction score
"Luxury tax" was a short-lived Federal tax on boats valued at over $100K and was repealed in the early 2000's. Few performance boaters were responsible for the tax.

The "luxury tax" everybody refers to is a Cali personal property tax, charged by the county assessor. It's usually 1.1-1.2% of the assessed value of the property (in this case, boats). The tax is not unique to Cali; many other states have personal property tax, or some form of it.

If you live in Cali, you pay the tax, in addition to a separate boat registration fee.

AZ does not have a personal property tax, you only pay a boat registration fee.

Years ago, before AZ increased the non-resident fee, it used to be cheaper to register your boat in AZ. In that instance, you had to prove to the Cali county assessor that you kept your boat in AZ, and thus you were not responsible for paying the Cali personal property tax.

Since AZ changed the fee structure, sometimes it no longer makes sense to pay the non-resident AZ fee because the Cali boat registration fee, AND the county personal property tax, may still be cheaper than paying the non-resident AZ penalty (fee).

:)

JohnnyV

Reaction score
Just got my boat registration $35 renewal $224 fee 93 Hallett 210
Checks in the mail

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
they seem to be going up.
I did the math, kept the boat registered in CA and SD country granted an exception on the property tax, since boat is stored in Havasu. Since Lake Havasu is considered a CA lake as well, keeping reg in CA was still legal. Took a ton of paper work, but SD country is one of a few that allow that exception
[/QUOTE

THIS is the way to do it. CA registration, with the location of vessel listed as AZ.

JohnnyV

Reaction score
“A ton of paperwork” getting my AZ numbers repainted having to deal w BS and who knows the savings ? I get it but not worth the hassle to save a hundy. CA won’t be free, so for my boat the fee is gas for a weekend. See you MDW Havasu !