WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Arizona Peace Trail questions

Dana757

Reaction score
I'm looking to do the western (river) from Yuma to Kingman fairly soon. Most likely solo Jeep (yeah I know) with an inexperienced person in the other seat. From what I can tell most looks pretty easyish. How much would I rely on a spotter in the other sections?? Jeep is on 35's with front and rear lockers.

Dana757

Reaction score
Oh, any recommendations on the must see things along the way?

jones performance

Reaction score
thats awesome! its on my bucket list to do as well. i think there was some threads in the lounge a while back about it. i plan on doing it once i get my old school 85 toyota pickup back up and outfitted for it.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I want to do it as well when I did bush my baja, it literally goes right by our cabin in the hualapais, up there is basically a fire road.

Dana757

Reaction score
I plan to do it in 2 sections due to time. But yeah, if anyone wants to jump in on the first leg that would be awesome. Looking at this weekend or possibly the next.

Meaney77

Reaction score
I want to do it as well when I did bush my baja, it literally goes right by our cabin in the hualapais, up there is basically a fire road.
How is the Baja coming along?

Meaney77

Reaction score
I'm looking to do the western (river) from Yuma to Kingman fairly soon. Most likely solo Jeep (yeah I know) with an inexperienced person in the other seat. From what I can tell most looks pretty easyish. How much would I rely on a spotter in the other sections?? Jeep is on 35's with front and rear lockers.
I think @grumpy88 has done the trail or at least a portion of it, he might be able to give you some input.

Tireman

Reaction score
I plan to do it in 2 sections due to time. But yeah, if anyone wants to jump in on the first leg that would be awesome. Looking at this weekend or possibly the next.
CAN you pm me any more details?

Dana757

Reaction score
CAN you pm me any more details?
Not much to PM. I'm here asking for details. But I have a good route in my GPS so not worried about that. If it's something you might want to join in here is the plan. Would like to leave CA on Wednesday after work so I'll wake in up in Yuma by the trailhead to get an early start. I could be flexible and leave Thursday, start Friday. Head north and see how far I can get. I have to head back to CA on Sunday regardless. Jeep pace so I won't cover ground as fast as the side by sides I wouldn't think. I plan to camp and not stay in hotels.
Then come back another time to finish the second half.

Info about the route can be found here. https://arizonapeacetrail.org

Meaney77

Reaction score
I am going to iron man the trail non stop

Good Luck!! We did the Mojave trail a few years back, we left home around 4:00 a.m. stopped in Barstow for Breakfast then unloaded cars and were on the trail by 8:00 a.m. I think we had our 1st beer stop by 9:00. We drove from Barstow to Laughlin-~170 miles one way all dirt at a pretty fast pace. We pulled into Laughlin as the sun was going down and by the end of the day we were whooped, and mentally whopped and the last thing any of us wanted to see was dirt and our cars!

Reactions: DWC

DLC

Reaction score
I just did the AZPT in October it was awesome!
We nicknamed it the Arizona 800 we ran it in sxs !

In a Jeep it will be a slow bump trail

we went from Yuma to Lake Martinez to Quartzite spent the night in Quart

then headed to havasu stopped in Cibola for lunch

left havasu and went to oatman for lunch then on to Kingman

after leaving Oatman there are some cool spots to check out north east of oatman headed to Kingman

one trail is the secret pass
You can stop at the stripper pole and check out all the bras on the tree....

Meaney77

Reaction score
I just did the AZPT in October it was awesome!
We nicknamed it the Arizona 800 we ran it in sxs !

In a Jeep it will be a slow bump trail

we went from Yuma to Lake Martinez to Quartzite spent the night in Quart

then headed to havasu stopped in Cibola for lunch

left havasu and went to oatman for lunch then on to Kingman

after leaving Oatman there are some cool spots to check out north east of oatman headed to Kingman

one trail is the secret pass
You can stop at the stripper pole and check out all the bras on the tree....
Did you do the entire trail? How many days did it take you? Details!!! Any pix?

I really want to do this one day!

DLC

Reaction score
One of your issues will be that your going to be really heavy in the Jeep with camping gear and food coolers and tools and gear. Try to go as light as possible as the trail is ruff and it will be slow going a lot of wash board and rocky trails.

We had a clothes bag a day cooler and tools and 4 gals fuel

DLC

Reaction score
We drove for 5 days longest day was 180 miles but fast haul ass and it was the last day.

it was just the absolute best time, just a lot of fun!
Felt really bummed out drive back to havasu from Yuma on the last day....
Plus hanging out with old friends and making some new friends really makes the trip more enjoyable.
Some parts your driving along and your like we are F’d you have no idea where you are, like way way out in tim buck 2 nowhere, your just following a red line on your GPS... then 20 minutes later your like oh man this spot is cool.

Meaney77

Reaction score
We drove for 5 days longest day was 180 miles but fast haul ass and it was the last day.

it was just the absolute best time, just a lot of fun!
Felt really bummed out drive back to havasu from Yuma on the last day....
Plus hanging out with old friends and making some new friends really makes the trip more enjoyable.
Some parts your driving along and your like we are F’d you have no idea where you are, like way way out in tim buck 2 nowhere, your just following a red line on your GPS... then 20 minutes later your like oh man this spot is cool.
Awesome, did you guys follow that sample itinerary that they have posted on the APT website? Looks like they have it pretty well broken up into a 5 day trip doing ~150-200 miles each day. I really want to check this out!

DLC

Reaction score
Each leg of the trip is unique in its own way leaving Yuma and headed to Martinez is a lot of rolling hill ridge ridding.

Quartzite to havasu has a lot of washes

havasu to Kingman has some awesome rock valleys

DLC

Reaction score
Yes we followed the itinerary

I think you can do it at 2 different legs / trips I would do an upper loop and a lower loop I have a house in havasu so I would start stop from there

leave from havasu and do the oatman to Kingman to lake Alamo then Alamo to havasu

then next trip start at havasu to Alamo to Salome to Yuma and up to Quartzite to havasu

quartzite to havasu could be done in 3-4 hours but that would be a long day if trying to go to havasu from Yuma.

Also the quartziteYacht club has great bar and steak... that’s where we stayed

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
We’ve done the lower loop twice. Leaving next week to do a 3 day, Yuma to Parker, Parker to Salome via Alamo, Salome to Yuma.

want to do the north part, maybe next year!

Patyacht

Reaction score
I've done the AZPT 3 times. Once counter-clockwise and 2 times clockwise. The trail is actually only about 675 miles unless you do some of the connector tracks. Go to the AZPT web site, https://arizonapeacetrail.org/ There under the Trail Resourses Tab you will find the most current track, GPX & KML format plus a sample itinerary showing where to eat/stay etc. Leaving Yuma there are 2 tough sections going to Quartzsite.. The 1st is the Laguna Hills ledges. Narrow with lots of right blind turns when going north that a right seat passenger needs to help because the driver is blind on many of the turns. The 2nd area is call the Good, Bad and the Ugly. I't rough and a mini rock crawl that ground clearance helps. Red Cloud Mine and Cibola are neat stops especially if the RC Mine caretaker is present. Quartzsite to Lake Havasu is an easy run. Things to see are some of Patton's encampments, the Fisherman Intaglio and Aerial Ground markers used by Pattons pilots and of course Planet Ranch that has been closed for many years until the AZPT. Note do not go off trail at Planet Ranch or it's ticket time! Finally, LHC to Kingman is an easy ride also. Places to see are Oatman, the old cemetery in Bullhead and Secret Pass. Chloride is a fun connector run if you have time.