WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Arizona probable new record Elk.

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
Here's the reason this is good for the Arizona Elk herd and conservation in general. JJ purchased one of the Arizona "Governor's Tags". The tag is good for 365 days and you can hunt statewide. He paid in the range of 300,000 dollars for the privilege. 100% of that money goes to the AZGFD for conservation. Good return for the cost on one quality bull Elk.

My issue is that he had 19 people with him. If you watch the last 8-10 minutes of the video, you can see the circus. One of the guides has some legal problems. The guy speaking in the video, was talking in the beginning about going in and "running the bull out of the country" he had it on trail camera and his wife had a November rifle tag in the same unit.

You think performance boaters have big egos? The outfitting/guiding community is worse...by far.

Xring01

Reaction score
Go to Texas, and you can kill Elk alot bigger than this one for a fraction of that price.

But I am not a “Trophy Hunter”, I prefer the killing the cows over the bulls any day, meat if far better.

Reactions: DWC

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
JJ is an interesting guy for sure. We have a mutual friend, and he comes to river. He’s big time boater with Skaters/DCB’s/KMG’s and he even built a 12’ Schiada. He has a Global Express and can be at the river and then a remote island in the Pacific the next day.

He flew out one time and asked for a ride in one of my Schiadas. I took him up river. Stopped at the bars and had some drinks. On the way back the contents of his pocket fell out including a wad of a couple thousand dollars. It looked like leaves in a leaf blower. Needless to say we only recovered a couple hundred bucks. The rest sunk in front of Pirates. He literally made it rain in my boat. Lol. Never seen anything like that in my life. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Another cool JJ fact is that he’s self made.

James J. Liautaud founded Jimmy John's in Charleston, Illinois, in 1983 when he was 19 years old. With used equipment, a refrigerator, one meat slicer, a freezer and an oven, Jimmy John Liautaud started his business without even a posted menu or an outdoor sign. At the time, he offered four sandwich varieties and 25-cent soft drinks. After passing out sandwich samples throughout the college town, Liautuad added delivery service, tables, outdoor signs, menu boards and an expanded menu. He opened several more stores and developed a prototype before franchising began in 1993. Jimmy John's franchisees bake bread at each store every day, and every sandwich is made fresh to order in 30 seconds.

Reactions: DWC

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Go to Texas, and you can kill Elk alot bigger than this one for a fraction of that price.

But I am not a “Trophy Hunter”, I prefer the killing the cows over the bulls any day, meat if far better.

Arizona has exactly ZERO, Elk estate hunting ranches. All our Elk hunting is Fair Chase on public land. There are a couple of Ranches that offer "trespass fees" to hunt but they are all still wild and free ranging Elk. Arizona residents pay a 48.00 application fee to draw a tag. the 300K "Governor tag" is intended to raise large amounts of money for conservation. Arizona Game and Fish gets all of its funding through taxes on hunting/fishing tackle ammo taxes and is essentially self funded. Anti-hunters pay nothing to enjoy our Animals here.

That Elk could have just as likely been killed by a guy like me who drew a unit 9 tag and stumbled across it. (for 48 bucks)

Comparing hunting Elk in Arizona and Texas is like comparing a pellet smoker to a wood burner.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
JJ is an interesting guy for sure. We have a mutual friend, and he comes to river. He’s big time boater with Skaters/DCB’s/KMG’s and he even built a 12’ Schiada. He has a Global Express and can be at the river and then a remote island in the Pacific the next day.

He flew out one time and asked for a ride in one of my Schiadas. I took him up river. Stopped at the bars and had some drinks. On the way back the contents of his pocket fell out including a wad of a couple thousand dollars. It looked like leaves in a leaf blower. Needless to say we only recovered a couple hundred bucks. The rest sunk in front of Pirates. He literally made it rain in my boat. Lol. Never seen anything like that in my life. [emoji23]

I was trying to fly to Michigan a couple years ago to look at the 388 Skater JJ bought new. I think that Dondel wound up with it? I couldn't get there in time and missed out on it.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
If I had a tag for that same unit. I would have went and checked my trail cameras. The chance at harvesting a record bull on a average Joe budget does not come up often.
A guy with that kind of money can do it anytime he wants. And he sure as shit ain’t hunting. He is shooting.

montaj629

Reaction score
Here's the reason this is good for the Arizona Elk herd and conservation in general. JJ purchased one of the Arizona "Governor's Tags". The tag is good for 365 days and you can hunt statewide. He paid in the range of 300,000 dollars for the privilege. 100% of that money goes to the AZGFD for conservation. Good return for the cost on one quality bull Elk.

My issue is that he had 19 people with him. If you watch the last 8-10 minutes of the video, you can see the circus. One of the guides has some legal problems. The guy speaking in the video, was talking in the beginning about going in and "running the bull out of the country" he had it on trail camera and his wife had a November rifle tag in the same unit.

You think performance boaters have big egos? The outfitting/guiding community is worse...by far.

What guide had legal problems?

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
What a corporate shit show.

Beautiful animal and nice to know the sport bags a 300K haul.

Last edited:

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Here's a link to a forum it was talked about on. The first post shows the actual plea deal. So, it's not hearsay. It very difficult to find much on line, that is NOT idle chatter on hunting forums.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
What a corporate shit show.

Beautiful animal and nice to know the sport bags a 300K haul.

Hey UD, I agree...mostly.

There are ego hunters and there are spiritual hunters. I, am the later. I have hunted almost every country on the African continent and have yet to ever measure an animal or have it scored in the multitude of organizations that do that sort of thing. Same holds true for all my North American hunting. I have had a couple guides and outfitters go crazy that I wouldn't measure/enter stuff. Their egos and their business's almost require it.

They sell hunts based on past results. I don't give a single fuck.

Arizona funds its Game and Fish, without dipping into the states general fund. They get some lottery money IIRC. They are funded through hunt & fishing licenses, boat registrations and, selling "Governors Tags". Couple examples 2017 there was a 480K bid for the Desert Bighorn Sheep tag. Jimmy John paid either 240K or 300K, for this Elk tag, I'm not sure.

Point is, Arizona boasts some of if NOT the finest hunting for; Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Coues Deer and Desert Bighorn Sheep anywhere in America. We have a first class GFD and I am a huge supporter. All those monies go back into our conservation efforts.

Personally, I would never agree to the shit show that the video shows. I am usually in far better physical condition than the guides are, I only will hire a guide service for a premium tag, in a premium area. IE, Unit 10 Archery Bull Elk, I did and was unsuccessful. I hired Dwayne Adams for Mule Deer for a super premium unit 12A, rifle Mule Deer tag 7-8 years ago. I killed a 209" Mule Deer, Literally once in a lifetime buck. (they measured it in camp)

Units like 9 or 10 for Elk or units 12A (both of them) or 13A and B for Mule Deer are all tags that require 10-20 bonus points to draw. Once you get a tag, you normally don't want to possibly squander it, so hiring professional in those units is prudent. But the absolute shit shows pains my heart.

As I said, hunting is almost a spiritual journey for me. It means more to me than inches of horn or sharing hero shots on Facebook.

Some of the egos involved are insane and need a kick to the nuts in my opinion.

Danger Dave

Sarcastically Optimistic 😁
Reaction score
Here's a link to a forum it was talked about on. The first post shows the actual plea deal. So, it's not hearsay. It very difficult to find much on line, that is NOT idle chatter on hunting forums.

I'm only part way through the linked thread but what a gong show.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Complete Goat Fuck. Hunting brings out some ugly personality traits for some reason. Worse than boat guys.

I dunno?

If you haven’t watched the video I posted, watch it. It says a lot

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Complete Goat Fuck. Hunting brings out some ugly personality traits for some reason. Worse than boat guys.

I dunno?

If you haven’t watched the video I posted, watch it. It says a lot
Steve, I don't big game hunt anymore, been about 6 years since and I held back my response to you for some time now to quiet myself down.
That video is not a hunt, it is a slaughter. For that many people to go after one designated animal is a complete disregard to the sport of big game hunting. I have NEVER had a guide and never wanted one. I know many places one can't hunt without a guide and I wouldn't hunt there, not that I couldn't afford it. I realize that there are many, many that have to be the biggest and best at the Country Club telling all their big dollar buddies how they got "the big one" but did "they" really?? In this video "he" did not. He pulled the trigger on a gun that many of us would consider the cost of a house. It looked to me he didn't even range the animal. He punched in a range and the gun took over the shot. He did nothing to "hunt" this elk. Why didn't he just stay in his mansion and have one of the troops pull the trigger on his mega rifle and scope and tell his friends he pulled the trigger.

This video made me sick and I don't think you had much to do with it, I hope. I do believe you were there though, right?

I do know that I will never darken the door to another Jimmy John's and most definitely not cheer for Kevin Harvick again.

Sorry for my rant but this is mild compared to several days ago when I watched the slaughter!!!!!

Last edited:

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Steve, I don't big game hunt anymore, been about 6 years since and I held back my response to you you for some time now to quiet myself down.
That video is not a hunt, it is a slaughter. For that many people to go after one designated animal is a complete disregard to the sport of big game hunting. I have NEVER had a guide and never wanted one. I know many places one can't hunt without a guide and I wouldn't hunt there, not that I couldn't afford it. I realize that there are many, many that have to be the biggest and best at the Country Club telling all their big dollar buddies how they got "the big one" but did "they" really?? In this video "he" did not. He pulled the trigger on a gun that many of us would consider the cost of a house. It looked to me he didn't even range the animal. He punched in a range and the gun took over the shot. He did nothing to "hunt" this elk. Why didn't he just stay in his mansion and have one of the troops pull the trigger on his mega rifle and scope and tell his friends he pulled the trigger.

This video made me sick and I don't think you had much to do with it, I hope. I do believe you were there though, right?

I do know that I will never darken the door to another Jimmy John's and most definitely not cheer for Kevin Harvick again.

Sorry for my rant but this is mild compared to several days ago when I watched the slaughter!!!!!
The way I read it I don’t believe he was with the hunting party, doesn’t look like a very spiritual endeavor.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Steve, I don't big game hunt anymore, been about 6 years since and I held back my response to you you for some time now to quiet myself down.

Boat Doc,

I was not there and was not any part of this abhorrent display. I posted it to show this magnificent animal. I feel very close to your feeling on hunting. However; As I stated in this thread, If I draw a tag in a premium area, where you are likely to have an opportunity at an Elk like the one in the video, I will hire a guide familiar with the unit.

Some of these units take upwards of 20 bonus point (20 years) to draw. At that investment in time, I want to do everything to increase my chances. I currently have 26 bonus points for Antelope and will be in the 100% draw pool next year. I can literally choose my unit next year. Will I hire a guide service? Not sure. Antelope hunting isn't very difficult.

I drew a unit 10 Archery Bull tag 5-6 years ago. I had 11 points. I hired a guide service and still went home empty handed.

Governors tags are a completely different animal. They bring out the craziness.

Did you see that I posted the legal docs pursuant to one of those guides in the video, being arrested for poaching?

Last edited:

boatdoc55

Reaction score
Boat Doc,

I was not there and was not any part of this abhorrent display. I posted it to show this magnificent animal. I feel very close to your feeling on hunting. However; As I stated in this thread, If I draw a tag in a premium area, where you are likely to have an opportunity at an Elk like the one in the video, I will hire a guide familiar with the unit.

Some of these units take upwards of 20 bonus point (20 years) to draw. At that investment in time, I want to do everything to increase my chances. I currently have 26 bonus points for Antelope and will be in the 100% draw pool next year. I can literally choose my unit next year. Will I hire a guide service? Not sure. Antelope hunting isn't very difficult.

I drew a unit 10 Archery Bull tag 5-6 years ago. I had 11 points. I hired a guide service and still went home empty handed.

Governors tags are a completely different animal. They bring out the craziness.

Did you see that I posted the legal docs pursuant to one of those guides in the video, being arrested for poaching?
Good to know you weren't there Steve. Some how I thought you were as some kind of observer for the big game hunting people. Reading your post's over the years I believe you write for some people.

Yes, I did see the legal docs but being "arrested" is a far cry from being held responsible for what that guide did. He should not have "guide" near his name ever again. That is what is so very wrong with our society today, no one has to pay a price for anything.

Being a hunter from Oregon, I do know how precious tags can be. My first year hunting elk in Eastern Oregon I drew a hair tag and the person, a client of mine, had invited me to his camp for the hunt. He could not believe it when I showed him my results and had drawn a hair tag for his unit. I did in fact harvest a nice big baron cow elk opening morning. I never have acquired a taste for boiled antlers.

Thanks for setting me straight on you not being there for that "Hunt" if anyone calls it that!!!!!!

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score

Makes me wonder anytime I see a guy carry a wad of hundreds in todays credit card world..... I lose things too easily and get a bit loose & sloppy.... but hookers spot em fast & frequent like bees ta honey.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Good to know you weren't there Steve. Some how I thought you were as some kind of observer for the big game hunting people. Reading your post's over the years I believe you write for some people.

Yes, I did see the legal docs but being "arrested" is a far cry from being held responsible for what that guide did. He should not have "guide" near his name ever again. That is what is so very wrong with our society today, no one has to pay a price for anything.

Being a hunter from Oregon, I do know how precious tags can be. My first year hunting elk in Eastern Oregon I drew a hair tag and the person, a client of mine, had invited me to his camp for the hunt. He could not believe it when I showed him my results and had drawn a hair tag for his unit. I did in fact harvest a nice big baron cow elk opening morning. I never have acquired a taste for boiled antlers.

Thanks for setting me straight on you not being there for that "Hunt" if anyone calls it that!!!!!!

I have written for a couple rags over the years. I am currently working on getting an article published in the industries "big one", Sports Afield. Its very difficult to get published without a name.

montaj629

Reaction score

He didn’t get anything compared to Ryan Hatch

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
He didn’t get anything compared to Ryan Hatch

Ryan was scouting with an ultralight or something? Yea, Jed basically just got restitution to the White Mountain Apaches. The judge felt bad for him

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
From what I heard, yes. I know some other people were involved also. A few people got wrapped up.

The pressure these guys put on themselves to produce big inches of horn must be overwhelming.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Can't imagine taking an entire "team". Just kind of odd, usually one or two guys. Seeing the shooter, I can't imagine he humped a 15 mile trek to a basecamp, then went out from there.
Glad the guy spent that kind of money for a tag. Does the sport good.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Can't imagine taking an entire "team". Just kind of odd, usually one or two guys. Seeing the shooter, I can't imagine he humped a 15 mile trek to a basecamp, then went out from there.
Glad the guy spent that kind of money for a tag. Does the sport good.

Yea, A complete shit show. But, in Africa on a typical Safari you would get out of the truck to follow Buffalo tracks or something with 5 guys. The Professional Hunter, the Client, two trackers and a Government Game Scout who works for whatever countries "Game and Fish". That feels cumbersome. can't even fathom 19.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Yea, A complete shit show. But, in Africa on a typical Safari you would get out of the truck to follow Buffalo tracks or something with 5 guys. The Professional Hunter, the Client, two trackers and a Government Game Scout who works for whatever countries "Game and Fish". That feels cumbersome. can't even fathom 19.
I'm no hippy, by any stretch of the imagination...but there is something almost magical about being alone, or close to it, miles into the forest.

Africa on the otherhand, I'd be scared shitless without a small battalion. Not my "Neck of the woods" I guess?

boatdoc55

Reaction score
I'm no hippy, by any stretch of the imagination...but there is something almost magical about being alone, or close to it, miles into the forest.

Africa on the otherhand, I'd be scared shitless without a small battalion. Not my "Neck of the woods" I guess?
100% behind you on this. I wouldn't be caught dead in the African bush outside a Sherman tank and they'd have to grease me up to get in it.

As far as being alone hunting in the woods, I've never been at such peace with myself alone and 2-5 miles from camp. It's just one of those things one can't explain to others, wives included. The wives did go with us for 3 years to elk camp in E. Oregon and the first time she went out with me on opening day she'd was scared shitless being in the woods at 4:30 am in pitch black not knowing where she was. although she trusted me as to where we were going it still had her shaking some. After that first time, all the rest were, gong ho let's go find an elk.

montaj629

Reaction score
100% behind you on this. I wouldn't be caught dead in the African bush outside a Sherman tank and they'd have to grease me up to get in it.

As far as being alone hunting in the woods, I've never been at such peace with myself alone and 2-5 miles from camp. It's just one of those things one can't explain to others, wives included. The wives did go with us for 3 years to elk camp in E. Oregon and the first time she went out with me on opening day she'd was scared shitless being in the woods at 4:30 am in pitch black not knowing where she was. although she trusted me as to where we were going it still had her shaking some. After that first time, all the rest were, gong ho let's go find an elk.
Took the wives to Elk Camp?! Haha

boatdoc55

Reaction score
Took the wives to Elk Camp?! Haha
Sure did and they had a blast. They got to see for the first time what us guys talked about all year until the nest year. The grumpy old man that was the head honcho in our group had been at that same camp for 47 years and all 47 were attended by his wife until she passed, guess where her ashes are buried!!!!

I don't know what you meant by the HaHa but I hope it wasn't saying "sure you did"!!

montaj629

Reaction score
Sure did and they had a blast. They got to see for the first time what us guys talked about all year until the nest year. The grumpy old man that was the head honcho in our group had been at that same camp for 47 years and all 47 were attended by his wife until she passed, guess where her ashes are buried!!!!

I don't know what you meant by the HaHa but I hope it wasn't saying "sure you did"!!

That’s very cool. I was just messing around by bringing the ladies out. I take my wife scouting but enjoy the time with the boys come season. Either way, it’s amazing to spend time I’m in the outdoors with good friends and the ones you love!

boatdoc55

Reaction score
That’s very cool. I was just messing around by bringing the ladies out. I take my wife scouting but enjoy the time with the boys come season. Either way, it’s amazing to spend time I’m in the outdoors with good friends and the ones you love!
Second time over she was with her brother the 3 third morning, I was over in another drainage and she got to see first hand how it all works. He got a bull in the very bottom of that drainage. I don'[t know who was more excited, her or him. There were 4 of our camp in that area and as it was told to me that night, she was ready to pack a front quarter out of the bottom but the guy's won out and had her in charge of the rifles going up and out.

Sorry about the hy-jack Steve!!!