WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Arizona Side by Side registration for highway use,costs ?

instagator

Reaction score
Just got my registration renewal, 2015 razor on road tags for AZ. ...$ 173.00 for i year.
Is that normal, seems high ?

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
You need to renew the off road tag first and then the registration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
I heard they renew for primarily on road at the higher rate
You have to go in and register for primarily off road if that's what you want
It's $4.50 a year
plus the new $5 public safety fee

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Normal.

Make sure you have full highway use, which it sounds like you have. If you get partial and get pulled over putting around town they will nail you with a fine.

69 1/2

Reaction score
You need to renew the off road tag first and then the registration.

Does this affect the price or is it simply procedure?

I’m also licensing for the first time in AZ.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Fuck that shit move to Utah roads are shared cows,sheep quads sxs trucks cars buggy’s

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
It's $4.50 a year

This all recently changed and that all went away. They don’t even ask about your usage anymore.

Partial use is basically for crossing a highway. If you are driving around town you want the “full” highway registration.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Does this affect the price or is it simply procedure?

I’m also licensing for the first time in AZ.

Simply procedure, but the Offroad sticker goes on the plate they give you. You can do everything in one transaction, and walk out of the MVD ready to go.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Simply procedure, but the Offroad sticker goes on the plate they give you. You can do everything in one transaction, and walk out of the MVD ready to go.
A lot here are Farm Vehicles no lic ;)

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
Never heard of anyone getting pulled over
This all recently changed and that all went away. They don’t even ask about your usage anymore.

Partial use is basically for crossing a highway. If you are driving around town you want the “full” highway registration.
Why are they only charging $5 for the public safety fee instead of $32?
Must be very recent since i just renewed for the $4.50 and have never heard of anyone just getting pulled over.
Better have DOT tires too if that's the case

Buggydave

Reaction score
Yea change it to "mostly off-road", then less than $5 year. As far as getting a fine for getting pulled over, I have been pulled over 2 times in my RZR and both times was because I was doing something dumb, and officers just checked that I had insurance and ran my license then let me go with not even a ticket. I know a lot of guys registered this way and no one ever got a fine!

Buggydave

Reaction score
BTW, the DOT tire myth is just that! I have 2 friends who are LEO's and both have said there is NO law in AZ about having to have DOT rated tires on an ATV/UTV.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I just went through all of this 2 months ago with my RZR. Had sticker shock (my 2016 was like $250) and went home and checked my Rhino and had “FUL” on the registration too, which is Full street use.

Again, it is on you. If you want to roll the dice, go ahead. This is something I was told was growing in enforcement.

I answered all the “Partial Road use” questions with my Rhino and was still full road use when I registered. I didn’t even realize this until I registered my RZR, however.

DLC

Reaction score
My neighbor is a long term havi popo and he said get the off road with partial road/highway, nobody looks for that. His sticker is off road like $30 bucks...

Boat 405

Reaction score
It's $4.50 a year
This. Do not do primary on road use.

Riverbottom

Reaction score
BTW, the DOT tire myth is just that! I have 2 friends who are LEO's and both have said there is NO law in AZ about having to have DOT rated tires on an ATV/UTV.

I have seen a Rhino impounded and towed from Circle K in Parker for not having DOT tires. Driver had a major attitude with the cop preceding this, and it escalated to towing for the tires. So it can be done.

c_land

Reaction score
Was at the red onion in havasu one time and a guy rolled up and parked his sxs out front the big sliding doors. He came in and sat down. A few minutes later a cop rolled by his sxs, passed it, then backed up and checked his sticker. The sxs guy went out and talked to him. Turns out he had the primary off-road sticker and got caught with his pants down. $700+ fine.

I just registered my rzr for he primary on highway with the off-road tag.

DMV Lady told me:
Primary off-road use:
Straight from your house to the gas station to the trail

Primary on-road:
Use it where ever you want.

I'm still not clear on using it on the actual highway though. Like highway 95. I'm not sure that's legal or not.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
My neighbor is a long term havi popo and he said get the off road with partial road/highway, nobody looks for that. His sticker is off road like $30 bucks...

We are not talking about the off road sticker, we are talking about the highway registration portion for the RZR. But yea the OHV sticker is like $30 as you stated.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Was at the red onion in havasu one time and a guy rolled up and parked his sxs out front the big sliding doors. He came in and sat down. A few minutes later a cop rolled by his sxs, passed it, then backed up and checked his sticker. The sxs guy went out and talked to him. Turns out he had the primary off-road sticker and got caught with his pants down. $700+ fine.

I just registered my rzr for he primary on highway with the off-road tag.

DMV Lady told me:
Primary off-road use:
Straight from your house to the gas station to the trail

Primary on-road:
Use it where ever you want.

I'm still not clear on using it on the actual highway though. Like highway 95. I'm not sure that's legal or not.

Agreed. This is what I have been explaining and how mine is registered.. primary on highway with Offroad tag.

I’m all for rolling the dice on stuff, but AZ registration tickets have heavy fines.

With primary on road you can use it on the 95. You don’t want to hold up traffic if you have a slower car though.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I have seen a Rhino impounded and towed from Circle K in Parker for not having DOT tires. Driver had a major attitude with the cop preceding this, and it escalated to towing for the tires. So it can be done.

If you are gonna drive around town a lot it is probably a good idea to run DOT tires. There are plenty of good options these days anyway.

I wouldn’t run out and buy them just to have them though.

Taboma

Reaction score
Agreed. This is what I have been explaining and how mine is registered.. primary on highway with Offroad tag.

I’m all for rolling the dice on stuff, but AZ registration tickets have heavy fines.

With primary on road you can use it on the 95. You don’t want to hold up traffic if you have a slower car though.

Since you've done yours recently and it's been a few years since my MVD visit to road-register my last RZR.
I need to register my new SxS at the Havasu MVD, I don't need to trailer it to the MVD for any inspections do I ?
Just fill out the compliance form for the required equipment, which it will have ?
As required I kept my MC plates off my last one and already have the RV OHV plate for the new one (Which I'll hand them back) .
If it's like last time, despite retaining the old MC plate, they issued a new MC plate with matching OHV tag and Reg tag.

When we changed our State Farm SxS insurance from the old Rzr to the new ride, I inquired about the highway use coverage. I thought it interesting that I was told that the policy was intended for essentially PARTIAL on highway use, not full time "Daily Driver" coverage. That if my intention was to use it like a car, rather than an offroad vehicle that occasionally runs on the highway, I needed to purchase a different policy. We rarely drive on pavement, except the state and county improved dirt roads around our ranch. Out there we're dealing with Sheriffs and AZ State cops, so would rather spend a few bucks and avoid any hassles.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Since you've done yours recently and it's been a few years since my MVD visit to road-register my last RZR.
I need to register my new SxS at the Havasu MVD, I don't need to trailer it to the MVD for any inspections do I ?
Just fill out the compliance form for the required equipment, which it will have ?
As required I kept my MC plates off my last one and already have the RV OHV plate for the new one (Which I'll hand them back) .
If it's like last time, despite retaining the old MC plate, they issued a new MC plate with matching OHV tag and Reg tag.

When we changed our State Farm SxS insurance from the old Rzr to the new ride, I inquired about the highway use coverage. I thought it interesting that I was told that the policy was intended for essentially PARTIAL on highway use, not full time "Daily Driver" coverage. That if my intention was to use it like a car, rather than an offroad vehicle that occasionally runs on the highway, I needed to purchase a different policy. We rarely drive on pavement, except the state and county improved dirt roads around our ranch. Out there we're dealing with Sheriffs and AZ State cops, so would rather spend a few bucks and avoid any hassles.

You don’t need to bring anything to the MVD. Depending on how old it is, I don’t know if that is the case 100% of the time. I did not have to bring in my 11 year old Rhino, or my 2 year old RZR.

For the highway portion, you just sign the affidavit that says you have the street legal components installed and in working order.

You are correct, they will just give you a new MC plate and stickers right there.

Insurance is different, and that is why the insurance is cheap because you insure it with limited road use.

A nice bonus seems to be that is you have an AZ registered RZR with an MC plate and a OHV sticker, you are good to go in CA for off-roading as well from what I can tell.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I’m with LOF on this.. I register as Full street use. I literally just renewed my registration last week and I think it was 250 or so? (I can go look if ya want).

I can’t remembe who it was now, but someone I know got the ticket for partial street use and it was $$$. I think 750’ish?

Either way if you plan on buzzing around town in the thing get the real deal Insurance (full coverage) and the on road use registration.

Since I’m on the subject mongrels are DOT approved as well.

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
It is more money but i suggest getting the full sized plate. Last i saw i do believe the MC plate is as well limited to 1500#. For whatever reason I never get harassed in my buggy but have a few buddies that are constantly harassed and the only noticeable difference is i have the full size plate.

After reading the above post maybe it is 1800 not 1500 #’s

DLC

Reaction score
What do the RDP inmates do with the AZ Land Trust permit?

I heard it’s like $20 bucks for the permit and you get it online

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
The OHV permit is supposed to let you ride through state land
The state trust permit allows you to park and or camp on state land
I get it just to be covered in all areas

You see those state land signs outside Havasu?
Permit required
2489298-1A._State_Trust_Land_Permit_required.JPG

I have not ever seen that around havasu. Maybe I blasted by too fast [emoji848]

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Wow, $700?
I'm guessing the cop saw something else as to why he backed up. He didn't seem to care the rzr was parked there and drove by.
Maybe the tag was expired? No insurance too?
I've never heard of anyone just having their tags checked like that.
I've been on the hwy and cops see me go by all the time and rzr's are parked at restaurants and always at Blondies.
We even had our headsets on and turned right in front of the county sheriff, nothing.
Primarily off road lets you go on 55 mph highways.
Primarily on road lets you go on 65 mph highways.
I've been on 65 mph hwy even going into Sedona and no problem
Maybe because I just haven't been caught yet.:rolleyes:

And they don't do inspections at the DMV anymore.

The fine for the wrong registration ALONE is $700+ dollars on its own. That’s why we are saying all this.

530RL

Reaction score
See 28-1177(c) in this link:

https://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/28/01177.htm&Title=28&DocType=ARS

In simpler terms, post 28 from Jones is consistent with the ARS. If someone wants to give you a ticket for not paying the full vehicle tax and that vehicle is under 1800 pounds and is "primarily" used off highway, you go see the judge and I suspect the ticket is dismissed. If it is over 1800 pounds, you simply have to pay the full vehicle tax regardless of its "primary" use.

"Primary" has been historically defined in AZ as 50%.

"Highway use". Here is the definition of Highway from the actual law- "3. "Highway" means the entire width between the boundary lines of every way publicly maintained by the federal government, the department, a city, a town or a county if any part of the way is generally open to the use of the public for purposes of conventional two-wheel drive vehicular travel." That means publicly maintained dirt roads and forest roads.

Short version.......If you are registering something less than 1800 pounds, you can save the "vehicle tax" and still be legal on highway (assuming you meet all the other equipment and insurance requirements) by checking the box "primarily off-highway" and not the boxes "exclusive off-highway" or "primarily on-highway" on your registration application. If your vehicle is over 1800 pounds, you are going to be pounded for the full vehicle tax.... :)

Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
What do the RDP inmates do with the AZ Land Trust permit?

I heard it’s like $20 bucks for the permit and you get it online

Where the hell do you get that?

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
The fine for the wrong registration ALONE is $700+ dollars on its own. That’s why we are saying all this.
Well I didn't know the fine was $700 and i doubt many here did either.
And I don't park in front of the red onion on MAIN street.
99% of the time I am either going to get gas or going to the trails even if it means going the long way.:rolleyes:
Police could have a field day if they went to the swap meet or a restaurant.
I bet the rzr contest at the Heat would have brought in big bucks if the police happened by and checked everyone's registration
We've been going to Williams for years and put over 200 miles at a time and go into town
Not sure what triggers the police to check registration randomly

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
See 28-1177(c) in this link:

https://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/28/01177.htm&Title=28&DocType=ARS

In simpler terms, post 28 from Jones is consistent with the ARS. If someone wants to give you a ticket for not paying the full vehicle tax and that vehicle is under 1800 pounds and is "primarily" used off highway, you go see the judge and I suspect the ticket is dismissed. If it is over 1800 pounds, you simply have to pay the full vehicle tax regardless of its "primary" use.

"Primary" has been historically defined in AZ as 50%.

"Highway use". Here is the definition of Highway from the actual law- "3. "Highway" means the entire width between the boundary lines of every way publicly maintained by the federal government, the department, a city, a town or a county if any part of the way is generally open to the use of the public for purposes of conventional two-wheel drive vehicular travel." That means publicly maintained dirt roads and forest roads.

Short version.......If you are registering something less than 1800 pounds, you can save the "vehicle tax" and still be legal on highway (assuming you meet all the other equipment and insurance requirements) by checking the box "primarily off-highway" and not the boxes "exclusive off-highway" or "primarily on-highway" on your registration application. If your vehicle is over 1800 pounds, you are going to be pounded for the full vehicle tax.... :)

That is all correct. That still results in a “Full” or “FUL” on your reg for highway registration, and for a newish RZR that will be a couple hundred bucks.