WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Armed off-duty firefighter halts armed suspect at Walmart in Missouri

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Looks like either trying to copy the El Paso shooting or just looking for his 15 minutes of fame

https://www.foxnews.com/us/armed-man-arrested-at-missouri-walmart-police-say

An armed man reportedly wearing body armor and pushing a shopping cart at a Walmart store in Missouri on Thursday led a store manager to pull the fire alarm and sent customers fleeing -- but an armed off-duty firefighter was able to detain the man until police officers arrived, Springfield police said.

The 20-year-old suspect was carrying loaded tactical weapons, according to reports. He was arrested at the scene and taken into custody, however, police didn't immediately say what charges he was arrested on.

Taboma

Reaction score
Or maybe he was just being overly protective in case he encountered some nut-job shooting up another Walmart ??
Which guy with the guns is the bad guy ?
When I'm standing in line at the register and the guy in front of me has a Glock stuffed in his pants behind his back, I'm not always sure if I should thank him or run like hell.
I realize as a voting Republican and gun owner I shouldn't think like this, but I'm forced to admit, I certainly have.

WildWilly

Reaction score
Or maybe he was just being overly protective in case he encountered some nut-job shooting up another Walmart ??
Which guy with the guns is the bad guy ?
When I'm standing in line at the register and the guy in front of me has a Glock stuffed in his pants behind his back, I'm not always sure if I should thank him or run like hell.
I realize as a voting Republican and gun owner I shouldn't think like this, but I'm forced to admit, I certainly have.

According to the police statement he walked through the story taking video and laughin at the chaos and panic he was causing....sounds like an attention grabber to me. Especially since he also walked out the back through a fire escape.

Taboma

Reaction score
According to the police statement he walked through the story taking video and laughin at the chaos and panic he was causing....sounds like an attention grabber to me. Especially since he also walked out the back through a fire escape.

Sorry, hadn't read the whole story, in this case I believe your observation sounds correct to me.
But I have found myself in a couple of situations where I simply wasn't confident of the armed persons intentions, so took the safe course of action and left.
I suppose I just could have asked ? :rolleyes: My point in this case seems an exaggeration, but I believe in general it has merit.

WildWilly

Reaction score
Sorry, hadn't read the whole story, in this case I believe your observation sounds correct to me.
But I have found myself in a couple of situations where I simply wasn't confident of the armed persons intentions, so took the safe course of action and left.
I suppose I just could have asked ? :rolleyes: My point in this case seems an exaggeration, but I believe in general it has merit.

I don't disagree. since you can't judge a book by its cover, we can't assume anyone carrying is good or bad anymore.

racektm

Reaction score
I don't disagree. since you can't judge a book by its cover, we can't assume anyone carrying is good or bad anymore.

Agreed, but, I don't want shoot out at the O K corral in my local Walmart or supermarket either. There is bound to be collateral damaged from "friendly" fire, I reference the Trader Joes incident last year.

Socalx09

Reaction score
Can I ask what the benefits of an open carry with a large firearm? I’m not sure if it’s old photo or not, but saw a photo with a man with an AK at Starbucks. He wasn’t there to harm. Just open carry. My thoughts- if you are a good guy with a gun, you just now told the bad guy who to shoot first.

Also- the guy pulling this stunt shouldn’t have his guns anymore IMO. He wasn’t a responsible gun owner if they can prove he did this to cause chaos. He isn’t well.

Dana757

Reaction score
Sounds like he was just out scaring liberals ........ and everyone else. Not helping 2A at all whatever his intent was.
Pretty ballsy on the firefighters part. Pulling what I assume was a hand gun on someone with an AR style weapon while wearing armor.

Icky

Reaction score
Sounds like he was just out scaring liberals ........ and everyone else. Not helping 2A at all whatever his intent was.
Pretty ballsy on the firefighters part. Pulling what I assume was a hand gun on someone with an AR style weapon while wearing armor.
Some people run towards the fire, some people run away.
I would say the ballsy parts was not just dropping the guy

j-bone

Reaction score
After seeing this story, I checked Missouri gun laws. Missouri does not prohibit the open carrying of firearms, but does prohibit exhibiting “any weapon readily capable of lethal use” in an angry or threatening manner in the presence of one or more persons. Mo. Rev. Stat. § 571.030.1(4).

While it was extremely poor judgment, he did not appear to violate the law. They arrested him for terrorist threats. The AR-15 was hanging on a tactical sling and the handgun was holstered. I'd be willing to bet he never put hands on the guns. He was trying to gain attention, not get killed. Without verbal threats of violence, or physically pointing either gun at someone, the initial charge will not stick. Trust me, they will view every frame of video footage to see if anything can qualify as "angry or threatening."

I am a strong 2nd amendment proponent, however this idiot will force states to modify their open carry laws. Open carrying a 1911 on the hip is much different than wearing tactical gear, body armor, and an AR-15. Personally, I'd never open carry. Concealed only for me. I don't need everyone knowing I'm armed.

j-bone

Reaction score
Some people run towards the fire, some people run away.
I would say the ballsy parts was not just dropping the guy

He's lucky he didn't. Based on the circumstances it would be difficult to justify. The idiot was technically within the law to open carry and no shots had been fired.

Icky

Reaction score
He's lucky he didn't. Based on the circumstances it would be difficult to justify. The idiot was technically within the law to open carry and no shots had been fired.
I read the whole story now, makes sense. He still deserved it :D