WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Armed on the river

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
Could you explain to me the difference in a Non resident AZ. CCW permit and a resident AZ.CCW. I have a Ca. CCW and a AZ. CCW. I have homes in both states, would they both be considered resident CCW's??

No. You can only be only a resident of one State. Just because someone has a vacation or second home in another State, doesn't make them a resident of that State. You are a resident where you actually LIVE. Pay in-state Income Taxes, Registered to vote, Kids in school (at resident tuition, for college or private schools, Hold resident professional, Hunting or Fishing licenses, Register vehicles, etc.

For out of State buyers to purchase a gun in AZ, the weapon must be legal to possess in their home state, AND the transaction must be legal in their home State. If California prohibits purchase of "Assault Weapons", large capacity magazines, or even ammunition, technically you cannot purchase them in Arizona. Arizona residents may take immediate possession of the firearm, once the NICS is completed, or in the case of having a CCW, once the ATF Form 4473 is completed and reviewed. But for an out-of State purchaser, even with an AZ CCW, the firearm (hand gun) must be shipped to a FFA licensed dealer in the home state. Immediate possession of a long gun (rifle or shotgun) is allowed for the out-of-State buyer, only if possession of the particular long gun is legal in the home State.

Falsely claiming Arizona residency to purchase a firearm (remember that pesky ATF Form 4473?) is a State and Federal Felony.

Last edited:

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score
Not sure, but mine is always accessible on the boat… [emoji2373]

Reactions: DWC

77charger

Reaction score
Boatcop your a great source if straight up information,And thats coming from someone who unfortunately had to meet your staff at one time BTW how is guy nelson doing?? last you said he was not on staff anymore but doing medic air??anyhow cool dude and respectful

Good Stuff

Reaction score
Also, there is no reciprocity in AZ for CA CCW permits. Meaning, AZ doesn't recognize CA CCW permits and CA doesn't recognize ANYONE's CCW, except their own. The map below shows which states recognize AZ permits. If they don't recognize our permits, we don't recognize theirs. But this doesn't preclude non-AZ residents from carrying where a CCW is not required.

While anyone can carry concealed in AZ in general, there are some specific locations that would require a CCW, such as businesses that serve alcohol.

For those that don't know, Arizona residents that possess an AZ CCW Permit do not have to undergo the Federal background check requirements when purchasing a firearm from licensed Firearm Dealers in AZ. The FFA forms have to be filled out, but the NICS check isn't required.

View attachment 1024124

AZ DPS Specifically states that they recognize any legal permit from another state on their website.

And the 4473 specifically allows me to purchase firearms for my Arizona home or my CA home as a resident of the state I am purchasing in. I have done both legally.
E39E5B84-BA9B-454C-B659-15A56D61426F.png

Last edited:

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
Something that surprised me, several years ago I had to go onto Twenty-Nine Palms Marine Base. At the time I was Retired Coast Guard. I had to get a temp parking pass, and declared my Firearm. The Sergeant on duty, asked If I had a Permit, and I said no, but was a currently active Peace Officer. He said no problem.

Even now, I can go on Arizona Military Bases armed with no issues. However, I do have an AZ CCW, and am covered by the LEOSA. Have been on Fort Huachuca Army Base, Luke AFB, Yuma Proving Ground, and Yuma MCAS. Always advise the Gate Sentry, and have been waved through each time.

I think it's bullshit that I can carry, but Active Duty actually assigned to that particular base, cannot in most cases. Whether they can, or not, depends on the Commanding Officer. A 2016 rule issued by the Pentagon permits individual Base COs to determine Weapon regulations, consistent with State Law, on their base and other facilities (barracks, Family Housing, etc)

My wife is covered un LEOSA as well. What strikes me as funny is she has to qualify every year. To qualify is beyond easy, but not my point. I have a FL Concealed Carry and do not have to qualify ever. Yes she can carry in all 50 states, but I still think the yearly qualify is stupid. She had to qualify every 3 months for 30 yrs why should she need to now?

When we visit our son and family at Camp Lejeune, she just shows her creds and they wave us on.

Water Romper

Reaction score
To get back to the original question:
Legalities of having a gun on your boat on the Parker strip ? Az resident, just wondering because half Az, half Ca.

The legal aspects of this question have been answered by Boat Cop. As he stated the "Letter of the law" is what it is, different jurisdictions, agencies, state borders etc. all have their own codes to adhere to. Its no excuse to not know the laws if you plan on carrying a weapon.

I guess the underlying question is: Do you carry a firearm on your boat? -notice I did NOT ask do you carry a weapon (this is a whole different topic) As mentioned prior, YES, I do carry knowing that the ONLY way the gun is coming out is if we (wife and I) lives are threatened. Water cannons, foul mouthed A-Holes, ignorant drunks at the ramp, dirty looks, PWC morons (and the list goes on) do NOT qualify to brandish a weapon or use lethal force. Bad people make bad times, unfortunately, its the good people that seem to suffer, it will be a horrible day if one of us post we were involved in a shooting- Lots to think about.

Last edited:

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
To get back to the original question:
Legalities of having a gun on your boat on the Parker strip ? Az resident, just wondering because half Az, half Ca.

The legal aspects of this question have been answered by Boat Cop. As he stated the "Letter of the law" is what it is, different jurisdictions, agencies, state borders etc. all have their own codes to adhere to. Its no excuse to not know the laws if you plan on carrying a weapon.

I guess the underlying question is: Do you carry on your boat? As mentioned prior, YES, I do knowing that the ONLY way the gun is coming out is if we (wife and I) lives are threatened. Water cannons, foul mouthed A-Holes, ignorant drunks at the ramp, dirty looks, PWC morons (and the list goes on) do NOT qualify to brandish a weapon or use lethal force. Bad people make bad times, unfortunately, its the good people that seem to suffer. Lots to think about.
I beg to differ. 😁

That's how I play the "tell me your not effin around without telling me your not effin around" game.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Maybe I'm the odd man out here... but I have never felt the need to carry a gun on my boat?

not saying I haven't (usually because I was carrying at the time I got into the boat).. but I don't specifically stash one in the boat in case of emergency? Not sure why.. can't say I've ever gotten into a situation bad enough that I felt I would've needed one.

RD

little rowe boat

IAFF local 1067
Reaction score
No. You can only be only a resident of one State. Just because someone has a vacation or second home in another State, doesn't make them a resident of that State. You are a resident where you actually LIVE. Pay in-state Income Taxes, Registered to vote, Kids in school (at resident tuition, for college or private schools, Hold resident professional, Hunting or Fishing licenses, Register vehicles, etc.

For out of State buyers to purchase a gun in AZ, the weapon must be legal to possess in their home state, AND the transaction must be legal in their home State. If California prohibits purchase of "Assault Weapons", large capacity magazines, or even ammunition, technically you cannot purchase them in Arizona. Arizona residents may take immediate possession of the firearm, once the NICS is completed, or in the case of having a CCW, once the ATF Form 4473 is completed and reviewed. But for an out-of State purchaser, even with an AZ CCW, the firearm (hand gun) must be shipped to a FFA licensed dealer in the home state. Immediate possession of a long gun (rifle or shotgun) is allowed for the out-of-State buyer, only if possession of the particular long gun is legal in the home State.

Falsely claiming Arizona residency to purchase a firearm (remember that pesky ATF Form 4473?) is a State and Federal Felony.
Thanks. The reason I asked this question was due to reciprocity in other states. With an AZ resident CCW a person can carry in Colorado but not a non-resident AZ. CCW . The question the difference between an AZ resident and an AZ non-resident CCW. Is there a physical difference in the actual CCW card?? Is there anyway to tell the difference in a resident and non-resident CCW? Thanks, Jeff

hallett21

Reaction score
Maybe I'm the odd man out here... but I have never felt the need to carry a gun on my boat?

not saying I haven't (usually because I was carrying at the time I got into the boat).. but I don't specifically stash one in the boat in case of emergency? Not sure why.. can't say I've ever gotten into a situation bad enough that I felt I would've needed one.

RD

Only time I have is camping on Powell/Mead. I feel like I’m boating on a different Lake Havasu than some of these posters lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D19

Reaction score

RD

Ya I guess you too have never been squirted in the eye with a super soaker while motoring through the channel? Lol

I am all for open carry, but on the boat seems a little much. If you’re that paranoid, stay at home .

PlanB

Reaction score
We boat all over the lake and all times of the day and night. You never know who or what you might run into. A firearm is like a fire extinguisher. You hope you never need it, but you never know...

I bring a bag on my boat with various essentials from a tourniquet to a G19 and extra mags. I hope I never have to use any of it.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score

Mmmmm. Some states don’t have income tax lol

Also you can only purchase a long gun in a different state. Pistols can only be purchased by residents.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score

We've learned recently that the ATF doesn't give a damn about lying on those forms....ask ol' crackpipe Biden....

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
A6A8A0F4-5CEB-4C7A-8598-6B7E4444B31A.jpeg

RD

Because of pirates.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

RD

You're not. They day I feel like I have to carry on the river is the day I stop going. The river is my happy place. It's where I go to forget about the rest of the world for awhile...

havasuhusker

Reaction score

RD

Same here. I've never carried on the boat.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Only time I have is camping on Powell/Mead. I feel like I’m boating on a different Lake Havasu than some of these posters lol.

right?

Weird I go through the channel all the time, have never been squirted (unless I asked them too, which was once because I was Hot AF)..
I haven't had any cove incidents where it turned into some argument about parking..
I haven't ever felt the need to have a gun in the boat because of potential violence..
The cops are generally pleasant to deal with in my experience if you are nice..
The staff at the Marina has been nothing but overly friendly every time I've been there..
I don't want to jinx myself, but my trailer hasn't been hit at Windsor..
I don't get cut off or hosed down by these big boats every time I drive my boat..
I don't almost have a collision with some asshole or some jetski every five minutes..

I'm thinking some of these guys need to look inward if they are having these problems every single time they go out?

RD

STV_Keith

Reaction score
RD
Do you carry on a daily basis otherwise? While I suppose there are some that carry only when convenient, many carry all the time, regardless of day, location, etc. Once you get used to carrying, it's just another part of your daily attire...would you decide not to wear shorts/pants one day? Murphy's law probably says if you are on occasional carrier, the day you need it is the day you don't have it.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Do you carry on a daily basis otherwise? While I suppose there are some that carry only when convenient, many carry all the time, regardless of day, location, etc. Once you get used to carrying, it's just another part of your daily attire...would you decide not to wear shorts/pants one day? Murphy's law probably says if you are on occasional carrier, the day you need it is the day you don't have it.

I usually carry if I have large sums of cash on me, or if I'm going to meet someone I don't know for a transaction etc..

I'm not gonna put my usual routines online for obvious reasons, but you get the idea.

RD

Reactions: DWC

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
right?

Weird I go through the channel all the time, have never been squirted (unless I asked them too, which was once because I was Hot AF)..
I haven't had any cove incidents where it turned into some argument about parking..
I haven't ever felt the need to have a gun in the boat because of potential violence..
The staff at the Marina has been nothing but overly friendly every time I've been there..
I don't get cut off or hosed down by these big boats every time I drive my boat..
I don't almost have a collision with some asshole or some jetski every five minutes..

I'm thinking some of these guys need to look inward if they are having these problems every single time they go out?

RD

In today's world people like to hear themselves complain.

My wife was reading comments and posts from the RDP Facebook page yesterday on the way home that makes the above painfully obvious.

Also the Pontoon set is transitioning to the "get off my lawn" set :)

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
In today's world people like to hear themselves complain.

My wife was reading comments and posts from the RDP Facebook page yesterday on the way home that makes the above painfully obvious.

Also the Pontoon set is transitioning to the "get off my lawn" set :)

LMAO!

RD

BamBam

Reaction score
Thanks. The reason I asked this question was due to reciprocity in other states. With an AZ resident CCW a person can carry in Colorado but not a non-resident AZ. CCW . The question the difference between an AZ resident and an AZ non-resident CCW. Is there a physical difference in the actual CCW card?? Is there anyway to tell the difference in a resident and non-resident CCW? Thanks, Jeff
I think your AZ resident vs. non-resident is going to be determined by your State issued ID card. The AZ CCW Permit (card) does not say non-resident on it.

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
right?

RD
This is why when I point I point all five fingers so there are none pointing back at me 😂

I carry a gun in the boat only because I ain't leaving it in my truck. Legal or not I'll fight it tooth and nail in the name of being a responsible firearm owner. Obviously I ain't going to brandish my weapon unless lives are at stake. And if I get stopped by an LEO they will be made well aware that there is a firearm on board.

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
What a lot of you are overlooking is that nearly every boat out there, at least those that may go off-shore, already has deadly weapons on board. One of these at relatively close range, can do as much, if not more, damage than your .40 cal Glock. That's one of the main reasons that Coast Guard Boarding Teams go armed with M14s, M16As, and 870s, in addition to their sidearms. Even on so-called "routine" boardings.

marineflaresjaden715.jpg

Water Romper

Reaction score
Oh man, getting hit with a flare gun ??, not only punches a 2 inch hole but burns Sulphur and god knows what other phosphoric powders.. and jumping in the water makes it worse!

Tpltrbl303

Reaction score
What a lot of you are overlooking is that nearly every boat out there, at least those that may go off-shore, already has deadly weapons on board. One of these at relatively close range, can do as much, if not more, damage than your .40 cal Glock. That's one of the main reasons that Coast Guard Boarding Teams go armed with M14s, M16As, and 870s, in addition to their sidearms. Even on so-called "routine" boardings.

View attachment 1024852

Do any of these come with higher capacity magazines? [emoji16]

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
This is why when I point I point all five fingers so there are none pointing back at me 😂

I carry a gun in the boat only because I ain't leaving it in my truck. Legal or not I'll fight it tooth and nail in the name of being a responsible firearm owner. Obviously I ain't going to brandish my weapon unless lives are at stake. And if I get stopped by an LEO they will be made well aware that there is a firearm on board.

Let me tell ya flat the gun in the boat is legal. However if you are carrying illegally you’d be in your way best interest to be quiet about it..

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
My main reason for carrying in the ocean is the drug smugglers . . . i've been told from 'multiple sources' including CG & LEO friends that there are a lot more 'incidents' that go un-reported to the local media.

It would not be a stretch to have a 'panga' style skiff roll up on you w/ a load of 'Square Cod' on board and want your rig, gas, money, whatever.

Last edited:

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
I love pew pews, but I wouldn’t want one on my boat. Drunks driving boats may take me beyond my threshold.