WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Article: 100 MPH / 100,000'ish dollars.. But with a Small Block?

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Nice article. [emoji106]

But I personally wouldn't call an LS a small Block. [emoji6]

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
What would you call an LS Platform?

RD

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Ya the LS platform is smaller than a small block. could be called a mini block.haha.

Ok so...

Yes, and no...

LS width 18" SBC width 16"

LS height 13" SBC height 12

Now..................

LS length 20" SBC length 22"!

I never really looked at em side by side before. The LS is so much beefier (is that a word?) it just always seemed bigger to me!

Side by side pics coming up...

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I threw a big block in just for fun...

uploadfromtaptalk1411665418622.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1411665429983.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1411665449498.jpg

BDMar

B & D Marine
Reaction score
I'm all about the advancement of technology. What I'm trying to figure out is the advantage of this package. 448 CI, 870 lbs, cast iron block and aluminum heads. Same basic weight as a BBC with cast iron block and aluminum heads. 540 CI BBC easily makes 725 HP+ with more torque at lower rpm's. What am I missing?

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I'm all about the advancement of technology. What I'm trying to figure out is the advantage of this package. 448 CI, 870 lbs, cast iron block and aluminum heads. Same basic weight as a BBC with cast iron block and aluminum heads. 540 CI BBC easily makes 725 HP+ with more torque at lower rpm's. What am I missing?

Is a BBC 870lbs fully dressed ready to drop in?

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

To me...

It looks like what they did was take a crate LSX454 and modify it for marine use. Since that pretty much voids the GM warranty, I guess they will warranty it themselves.

The LS crowd go nuts about these engines. We are seeing a lot of conversions these days. You are right on all counts, but here is the thing that is appealing to me...

They dont have any oil leaks!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Chevys are like Harleys, if it aint leaking, it aint being used, or you ran outa oil. :p

The blocks are tight and stiff. The square/rectangle port heads flow crazy number, so they make much better power bone stock. A moded out big block will always win, but i think people get all caught up in the stock HP numbers, and thats why they get a boner over these engines.

I mean, seriously, check this shit out...

http://www.carcraft.com/featuredvehicles/supercharged_2015_corvette_z06_lt4_rated_at_650_horsepower/

BDMar

B & D Marine
Reaction score
The Ilmor engine is more than just a marinized LSX or it wouldn't make 570 HP.

The Carcraft engine is bored, aftermarket crank, rods, pistons, camshaft, cnc'd ported heads, etc. That's not "moded out"?

Also, if a BBC leaks oil, it was not assembled correctly. As far as weight, I honestly don't know the exact weight of a dressed BBC. I can tell you it's not anywhere near 1107 lbs which is what it would weigh in a lb./ hp comparison.

The LS engines are way cool. But with a cast iron block LS, a BBC will outperform in a boat. Torque moves boats.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
The Ilmor engine is more than just a marinized LSX or it wouldn't make 570 HP.

The Carcraft engine is bored, aftermarket crank, rods, pistons, camshaft, cnc'd ported heads, etc. That's not "moded out"?

Also, if a BBC leaks oil, it was not assembled correctly. As far as weight, I honestly don't know the exact weight of a dressed BBC. I can tell you it's not anywhere near 1107 lbs which is what it would weigh in a lb./ hp comparison.

The LS engines are way cool. But with a cast iron block LS, a BBC will outperform in a boat. Torque moves boats.

The LSX454 is rated at 620HP with a carb and 580HP with EFI. Their 570 rating sounds about right.

The CarCraft engine is modded out, it's a project piece that is not yet complete.

And you are correct, torque is where it's at in a boat. You can only put so much stroke in an LS. Don't think will see a 540 LS anytime soon, but I'd bet the aftermarket is working on it! Or maybe they have it already? It's hard as fuck to keep up with All the changes...