WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Article: A quick guide to polishing rims

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Outstanding info

Weekend Therapy

Reaction score
Great write up and info. Man I hate polishing. If I buy anything else that requires it I'm going to try that nano coating and see how it holds up. Might wanna think about it Dave and save some elbow grease.

skiracr

Catalina Ski Race, Boat # 222
Reaction score
Thats a great and quick "how to" Thanks Dave! I had never been shown or taught the steel wool and sand paper steps. I could see how that really helps out in producing a good finished product. Definately gonna have try it out on my wheels. i Dont really see the need for the sand paper step but definately going to use some steel wool.

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
Wow! That's a lot of work.. but nice job. I so no mention of Brews. What gives?

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
The Eagle rims on my truck have some kind of a clearcoat....how do I polish through that?

HBDano

Reaction score
Try some cooking corn starch for a final wipe down after polishing with mothers, takes it to the next level. Just put some on a clean rag and you'll see how much black residue is still on the wheel.

Wetanddirty

Reaction score
I have chrome rims on a trailer I just got. The wheels are covered in old bearing grease. The method I've used in the past on this type of wheel is to get a stiff brush and some diesel fuel. Scrub with the diesel fuel to get all the heavy gunk off and rinse. Clean again with a hot water and Dawn mixture to remove any residue. Now spray with Wheel Brite that I purchased from my local car wash and rinse. Put on a final coat of Mother's Chrome polish and good to go. Anyone have a better idea? Always looking for other tricks.

renodaytona

Reaction score
Thanks Dave, one more added project polishing all of my wheels. Those turned out great.

bead

bead
Reaction score
Looks good! Wish I had that kind of time. You know how I do mine?, I send them to Jose. Cost around a $ 100 bucks and one cold beer and I get to watch him, do like 12 other things, watch part of last nights Supercross, drink at least 3 more beers and dont have any of that black shit all over my hands when Im done, plus I just contributed to helping someone with a job today.... LOL!!!! I did my RV ALCOAS, took like all FN day! Lot of work!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Looks good! Wish I had that kind of time. You know how I do mine?, I send them to Jose. Cost around a $ 100 bucks and one cold beer and I get to watch him, do like 12 other things, watch part of last nights Supercross, drink at least 3 more beers and dont have any of that black shit all over my hands when Im done, plus I just contributed to helping someone with a job today.... LOL!!!! I did my RV ALCOAS, took like all FN day! Lot of work!

Jose is always my preferred method as well.. LOL Except it's usually 50-75 bucks a wheel, and with 7 rims that adds up quick. If the wheels are in decent shape you can just use the power ball and it's about 45 minutes a wheel with a beer at the end.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Great write up and info. Man I hate polishing. If I buy anything else that requires it I'm going to try that nano coating and see how it holds up. Might wanna think about it Dave and save some elbow grease.

When these are all done, that's exactly what I would like to do.. LOL

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Wow! That's a lot of work.. but nice job. I so no mention of Brews. What gives?

That's only to get through the corrosion.. A power ball and polishing compounds would literally take forever to get rid of it.

DJ

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I have chrome rims on a trailer I just got. The wheels are covered in old bearing grease. The method I've used in the past on this type of wheel is to get a stiff brush and some diesel fuel. Scrub with the diesel fuel to get all the heavy gunk off and rinse. Clean again with a hot water and Dawn mixture to remove any residue. Now spray with Wheel Brite that I purchased from my local car wash and rinse. Put on a final coat of Mother's Chrome polish and good to go. Anyone have a better idea? Always looking for other tricks.

Good god.. How much grease are you talking about? For just normal grease off the bearing buddies I would think a degreaser or dish washing detergent and a wipe down would be enough?

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
Good god.. How much grease are you talking about? For just normal grease off the bearing buddies I would think a degreaser or dish washing detergent and a wipe down would be enough?

Nathan at Nano Coatings is great to work with. I have a sample of aluminum he sent me that is half treated with his coating. It has been attached to the chain on my anchor at the river where it has been submersed for months at Parker and still looks great. Another option is http://www.sharkhide.com/. Nano is pretty bullet proof. The Shark Hide works well on aluminum but does not hold up well to solvents.

Wombat

The Great Southern land
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips Dave. I will do these when it gets time to polish the wheels on the Myco l imported.