WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Article: Howard Boats - Los Angeles Boat Show 28 Sport Deck and 28 SDS Part 1

RodnJen

Reaction score
Excellent review Dave, thank you. I have been a long-time fan of their work. For me, it would be a tough decision between the 28' Bullet CBR and the Sport Deck. But make no mistake, the next one would most certainly be a Howard.

Scott E

Reaction score
Great article.

Last edited:

Joker

Reaction score
Nice write up Dave. Beautiful boats.

KAP

Reaction score
Great write up Dave:
The Howard Sportdeck is an amazing boat!
The best deck boat on the market in my opinion. I own one and have an inherent bias but the bias is backed up with many hours of 100MPH seat time. This hull platform can easily accept everything from mild power to 100++MPH blower applications. The handling is amazing and the 100MPH stability will have you thinking it is a performance cat with all the luxury and flexibility of a world class deck boat.

I haven't seen a write up this involved on a Howard Sportdeck in quite some time. Dave you hit all the high points.

KAP

Scott E

Reaction score
Great write up Dave:
The Howard Sportdeck is an amazing boat!
The best deck boat on the market in my opinion. I own one and have an inherent bias but the bias is backed up with many hours of 100MPH seat time. This hull platform can easily accept everything from mild power to 100++MPH blower applications. The handling is amazing and the 100MPH stability will have you thinking it is a performance cat with all the luxury and flexibility of a world class deck boat.

I haven't seen a write up this involved on a Howard Sportdeck in quite some time. Dave you hit all the high points.

KAP

I think it's more of an everyday boater write-up/perspective than any magazine article I've read. Sure, the magazine article will give you the raw data in terms of speed numbers but they rarely go into the depth of the functionality of the boat for the everyday user. Of course, I'm biased towards the Howard as well. :D

spectras only

Reaction score
Saw the 28 Sport Deck many years ago visiting Howard's factory. It looked bitchen then ,should look even better now in person. Good write up Dave, very informative!

Hallett270act

Reaction score
Very nice boats and great write up RD. I have a newly found respect for Howard boats.

drejustice

Reaction score
Nice! I like that you called attention to some of the "little" features. I think that's often missed in most reviews. I never knew about some of the cool trick/functional features that they offered. When you start comparing boats that may be about equal, it's sometimes the little things that end up swaying the purchase decision.

NM Bullet

Reaction score
Being a Howard owner for many years I can say all there boats are next level. But that deck boat is in a class all its own! Talk about functionality that boat can do so much & never bat eye. Great write up, well thought out, well written.

brad

Reaction score
Great write up Dave.

I have personally owned 3 Howard Custom Boats, 2 Deck Boats and 1 SCS. Since 2005 I have become great friends with the family, Gene & Mike are good to deal with and build a awsome boat.

Regards Brad

vegastechie

Reaction score
I test drove a SDS a week after the show and made the deposit right there.... Expecting delivery in June~!!! Cant wait!

Long Way Home

Dog Days of Summer!
Reaction score
I test drove a SDS a week after the show and made the deposit right there.... Expecting delivery in June~!!! Cant wait!

Congratulations on the new boat. Here's wishing you many years of happy voyages on her. Howard is a great boat and welcome to RDP.

Reaction score
I bought the Sport Deck in the article. When it was in the LA Boat Show I hadnt yet driven it. I got it out to Havasu about a week after the show and got it in the water. It drives and handles flawlessly. It is the smoothest, best handling boat I have ever owned. Gene and Mike were just a pleasure to deal with. Incredibly helpful and professional. I honestly couldnt complain about one thing about the boat. The attention to detail and workmanship is exactly what I expect from a Howard. Great write up and thanks to RDP for helping me sell my old boat also!