WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Article: Less Than Professional

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
I'm certain the moment you take a ride in my boat you'll consider it a definite game changer. :D

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
How many boating mags are even left? I like getting info on the forums 'cuz it's just real people giving real opinions. Not everyone will agree about the same boats, but that's why there is room for a more than one player in the game. Keep telling it like it is!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Pint Taco, there is one boating mag left for performance boating.

Chipster27

B Team Member #27
Reaction score
RD, which mag do you consider to the "the one"? SportBoat?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
All I can say is; as I was reading it I kept sayin' "that's right" to myself!

:thumbsup

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
So you're saying there will be an RDP ride and drive at Desert Storm this year?

Gee what a great idea! ;)

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
20 years or so ago the mags were not afraid to say something along the lines of "We found xxxx lacking in this area and brought it up with the builder. They are already planning ways to fix the issue."

Not bashing, but not all unicorns shitting rainbows either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
If we're gonna talk about the 29 it would be interesting to hear why the first one rolled over and what if any changes were made to keep that from happening again.

bluebleeder

Reaction score
Your article hits the nail on the head. Your examples are exactly why Top Gear America is so horrible compared to the original BBC version. The American version is so watered down in order to protect potential advertisers. We want the real world facts and you seem to always give us that.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
So in your boat review articles what you don't say may be more important than what you do say.......

cruzer

Reaction score
I care about bow rise! Most of the points you give are right on. I do feel that you can point out the good and bad points about a specific boat without pissing the manufacturer off too much. Unless they are paying for the test and the resulting article. At that point it just becomes an extended ad.

SBjet

El Presidente for Life
Reaction score
"the idea that you can read review after review, ... they are the same article regurgitated page after page."

Yup. I posted this exact point several years ago.
Maybe RD should do it like the car mags do, compare this 29' to another 29', write what you like about it.

JBS

Reaction score
You make several good points Dave. As far as the bias of magazines there is no doubt that this is true. If a Boating magazine would do a Consumer Reports type write up on Performance boats they would not get the first issue out.

I would think that doing review like the ones from the past are a recipe for failure.

Let's face it there is a reason Performance Boat Magazine is the last one. Anyone who will advertise in it gets a great write-up cover photos etc. They do this as this is whats required of them to get advertisers. As you said it is really the same magazine over and over again. Print magazines have not evolved to keep the interest of most people. Yep it is nice to have something to hold in your hand but at the end of the day everyone has read online the majority of what is in the printed magazine, and in many cases have enough info to know the magazine is not giving an accurate write up How long will they be around even as the "Only" performance boat magazine is anyone's guess. PB selling their Message Board to concentrate on a dyeing Media (The magazine) does not make a lot of sense unless you were looking to raise capital by selling your performing assets. If the Magazine was a publicly owned company the board would of pulled the plug years ago just like their competitors Boards did.

As to the bias of the testers this is something that after reading your comments now seems obvious but I had not considered in the past.

Keep going with the Video and General comments. Add or delete what feels right to you. What has worked in the past sure as hell will not work today. Folks today are savvy about getting the information they need and coming to their own conclusions. Get us the info and we can judge for themselves.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
IMHO stick to your guns, and tell it like it is, as seen thru your eyes.
You call things as you see them, and these are your opinions, which is cool.

When people have an agenda, but pass them along as "their unbiased opinion" is what I have an issue with.

Your integrity is respected, Dave, and difficult to get back once gone.

You got to this point "being you" so I wouldn't change a damned thing...

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Chipster, the only mag left is performanceboats. Sportboat went under about a week and a half ago.

RD

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Your article hits the nail on the head. Your examples are exactly why Top Gear America is so horrible compared to the original BBC version. The American version is so watered down in order to protect potential advertisers. We want the real world facts and you seem to always give us that.

It was a faulty tab indicator from what I heard. They had a tab completely dropped on one side and when they went off a wave it cork screwed the boat. They are probably using mechanical indicators now.. LOL

RD

Chipster27

B Team Member #27
Reaction score
Chipster, the only mag left is performanceboats. Sportboat went under about a week and a half ago.

RD

Ah crap, I just subscribed to SportBoat about 2 months ago!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Furniture 4 Me

Reaction score
Dave
I am glad to see you wrote something from the heart again, i remember many years and conversations about thing and this was an awesome read and and written spot on. I can say that like your self i've been in many boats, driven, ride a longs etc... looking forward to seeing what you have to say on these boats!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Dave
I am glad to see you wrote something from the heart again, i remember many years and conversations about thing and this was an awesome read and and written spot on. I can say that like your self i've been in many boats, driven, ride a longs etc... looking forward to seeing what you have to say on these boats!

Thanks Mikey, long time since we have talked! Give me a call!

UAV.Pilot

Reaction score
Well Honesty is the Best Policy for Long Term, and its a Juggling Act for certain, plus Most People if not all people can read through the BS, no matter how thick its laid on.

When I do my research on any product I tend to look into the real world experiences and Not the MFG's Review...you hit the nail on this one!

Tell it like it is, within reason, remember your Opinion is just that! If you want to be credible back up your opinions as to why something is right or wrong.