WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Artificial grass?

WYRD

Reaction score
Anybody have experience with artificial grass. Been thinking about replacing the small section we have in the front yard with some artificial. Notgrass we use but do have a small dog likes to potty on it (as well as several neighborhood dogs:mad:)

Any Do's, don'ts, maintenance requirements?

Brokeboatin221

Reaction score
I had some at my old house and didn’t do really anything besides rake it in the fall. All and all I was happy with it and my water bill. Weeds did grow through in few places but some roundup fixed that fast

WYRD

Reaction score
What about mildew from water and or pet urine does it create any kind of a smell or stain?

PaPaG

Reaction score
What about mildew from water and or pet urine does it create any kind of a smell or stain?
We have had it at one of our places for over 12 years and no mildew or stain, they make special types for pets, water it all the time no issues at all...SMELL? that is another story, the dog urine smells after a while on super hot days or after we wet it so we have a special spray that takes care of that since it is such a small area it takes a few minutes every month, most apartment complexes in Vegas use it on their fake grass as well due to the smell from the dogs. The only REAL ISSUE is that it gets hotter than you could imagine for the dogs paws not like real grass, we wet it down in the summer for a few seconds to cool it off during the really hot days and make sure it is cool enough for them to walk on without any issues.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
We have had it at one of our places for over 12 years and no mildew or stain, they make special types for pets, water it all the time no issues at all...SMELL? that is another story, the dog urine smells after a while on super hot days or after we wet it so we have a special spray that takes care of that since it is such a small area it takes a few minutes every month, most apartment complexes in Vegas use it on their fake grass as well due to the smell from the dogs. The only REAL ISSUE is that it gets hotter than you could imagine for the dogs paws not like real grass, we wet it down in the summer for a few seconds to cool it off during the really hot days and make sure it is cool enough for them to walk on without any issues.
What "special spray" are you using?
I've tried a few without much success 😔

RCDave

Reaction score
I apply baking soda to ours. Works great. Costco sells decent sized bags of it

Brokeboatin221

Reaction score
I didn’t have any animals but the people before me did and didn’t seem to have any issues. I never did have any issues with moisture and I did live somewhere we’d get snow once a year and a lot of rain.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I've tried vinegar to neutralize odor as well as discourage the dog from using a certain area......not really working as well as I expected.

PaPaG

Reaction score
The Stuff we use is called Liqui-zyme, Made by United laboratories. Concentrated so you mix with water and use as much as needed. 1 bottle usually lasts over a year depending on size of fake grass.

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
We have maybe 60 SF out front.......the ole lady laughs at me because I shop vac it. Says I am the only idiot who vacuums a lawn. :p But it comes out great!

RCDave

Reaction score
We have maybe 60 SF out front.......the ole lady laughs at me because I shop vac it. Says I am the only idiot who vacuums a lawn. :p But it comes out great!
Ive been known to do that too. lol

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
We have it in havasu..and have for a long time. The entire backyard is "turf." We have 3 dogs there when we are in town...never had an issue with smell...my oldest does poop patrol every few days. The landscapers blow it off weekly and thats all that we do to it.

My in-laws have it in Hawaii...my FIL vacuums it 😂 .They have one dog and no issues with smell either.

It's not cheap, but holds up well when done right. I tend to piss in one corner when outside...no staining or anything from my liquor infused piss either lol

senorpdog

Reaction score
The Stuff we use is called Liqui-zyme, Made by United laboratories. Concentrated so you mix with water and use as much as needed. 1 bottle usually lasts over a year depending on size of fake grass.

United Laboratories doesnt look like they sell direct. Where do you purchase it?

PaPaG

Reaction score
Wife got it from work back about 18 years ago and we ordered a case and still have a few bottles but not enough to let any go. I will see if we can get more and if we can I will see if you want me to order you some.

AZmike

Eastsider
Reaction score
I have large amounts of artificial grass in my backyard since 2012. I'm in Arizona, southeast of Phoenix so this grass see's a brutal summer climate and its held up very well. I'm starting to get some spots that have been sun burned and dried out because of the weather here. I love the maintenance free aspect of it and wouldn't hesitate to do it again. The only downside I have is, I put this in my dog run as well and I have one large dog and its his bathroom spot. So every week or so I go out and basically flood the lawn to keep the urine smells away. When I replace that grass I'm going to install one single 360 degree sprinkler head on a timer to water it automatically. My dog spends 99% of his time inside and laterally goes out to pee and shit only and wants nothing to do with being outside.

yard dog

Reaction score
I used a product a called Zeofill for the infill for the artificial grass they also make a deodorizer for artificial grass too .

WYRD

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses I went ahead and pulled the trigger

20210622_154011.jpg

Reactions: DLC

lantz

Reaction score
about once a year I clean mine really good which begins with a good rake and then the kids get to vacuum it with the shop vac before I spary it down with which ever cleaner was cheapest, and we all use push brooms to scrub. Rinse and air dry.

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
Careful on the vacuum/shop vac use..... suck up the infill and your turf will look like crap.... neighbor did that.... I pretty much do the same as most, I use simple green or vinegar.... every 6 months. Never an issue with one dog.

Sangerdog

Reaction score
Simple green as a pet odor spray that you just hook to water house and spray. I have it and it works great on my turf. I purchase it on amazon.

Hallett Dave

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
Simple green as a pet odor spray that you just hook to water house and spray. I have it and it works great on my turf. I purchase it on amazon.

That is what we use. Works great. Follow the instructions. :)