WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Artificial Turf (grass)

AEA

Reaction score
With the ongoing drought and the rising cost of water has anyone incorporated artificial grass into their landscaping scheme? If you have what brand did you choose? How long have you had it and how do you like it? I'm not sure if this a good way to go, but grass isn't going to work much longer, need something else.

Singleton

Reaction score
We went with easyTurf. Had it 4 months and spend more time in our backyard since we put it in.

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Just saw an ad.....I think it was at the house. Something about "recycled" turf as an alternative. The ad stated it was 80% cheaper vs. New......and looks the same. Seeing is believing I guess. Something to look in to. Cuz the new shit is ridiculously expensive.:yikes

NicPaus

Reaction score
I have 4 people who want it but it is to much money. Wholesale the good stuff is $3 a ft and $2.50 for decent. With infill cost more money than pavers.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Oddly enough, we are not allowed to use artificial turf in our city but they encourage everyone to use drought friendly landscaping:rolleyes.

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
I have 4 people who want it but it is to much money. Wholesale the good stuff is $3 a ft and $2.50 for decent. With infill cost more money than pavers.

Really? F that....Rather just do pavers

spectras only

Reaction score
20160611_112311.jpg 20160618_090944.jpg 20160602_121529.jpg

I'm interested to hear expert replies in this thread as well. Wife wants to replace the putting green with artificial grass, I'm still interested in turf for the putting green;).

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
We were going to do it on side but decided to just go w grass. It's expensive and not exactly pet friendly like they say

AEA

Reaction score
We were going to do it on side but decided to just go w grass. It's expensive and not exactly pet friendly like they say

Yeah, what about the pet friendly part? We have 3 dogs so that is a concern. Does it get too hot for their paws? I wonder about wash-down for pee and poop too.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Yeah, what about the pet friendly part? We have 3 dogs so that is a concern. Does it get too hot for their paws? I wonder about wash-down for pee and poop too.

It gets hot, I don't want to vacuum it, or hose it down everyday. It smells

spectras only

Reaction score
Oddly enough, we are not allowed to use artificial turf in our city but they encourage everyone to use drought friendly landscaping:rolleyes.

we checked with a landscaping company, it's called xeriscape landscapes styles, right?

spectras only

Reaction score
2FF, in your last picture, the turf is 10yrs old? We have a lot of sun in the Okanagan and my turf looks faded pretty bad.
Mind you, it's 14 yrs old.

Strabo

Reaction score
It gets hot, I don't want to vacuum it, or hose it down everyday. It smells

Exactly, we had it. Pain in the ass to clean, leaves stick to it. I used pressure washer. Glad its gone.

underpressure

Reaction score
Just put a 10x10 section of it my remodeled back yard. Looks very real, until you walk on it. Not sure if the dog gets it...still prefers the grass in the front yard...

HPBoats83

Reaction score
With the ongoing drought and the rising cost of water has anyone incorporated artificial grass into their landscaping scheme? If you have what brand did you choose? How long have you had it and how do you like it? I'm not sure if this a good way to go, but grass isn't going to work much longer, need something else.

There are a lot of good brands out there but the biggest deal is finding a good installer. Like everything, prep, base, and SEAMS can make a big difference on the final product. www.epsturf.com is our brand but like I mentioned, there are many good brands.

Cray Paper

Reaction score
I have friend that has it in his front yard, it was installed by the previous owner. It looks good year round but traps pine needles and leaves. Every time I visit I ask he has vacuumed it this year. Guess the rain the PNW keeps it fairly clean. He doesn't have a dog though, wonder how this stuff holds up to daily poop and urine. Would imagine that it would smell over time?

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
first thing I wanna say is if you had the grass pro installed... don't vacume it.... they put rubber chips and sand to hold it down... just rake it with a plastic rake..the sand and rubber is what makes the blades stand up...go against the grain and it looks great for another year,,,,

Yea something about a special sand or chip because we have pets.

BigQ

Reaction score
I work for a water district (in IT though so I don't know shit really) and we use to have a program to replace real grass, but no more. They found it creates hot zones, like concrete and blacktop and chemical makeup can get into the ground (of course this causes cancer). We push native plants and ground cover with a updated sprinkler system designed for the area. Real grass just take a lot of water, not as much as farming in the desert:rolleyes, but the most use in residential. I have seen studies that show even a covered pool uses way less than a lawn.

PVHCA

Reaction score
I work for a water district (in IT though so I don't know shit really) and we use to have a program to replace real grass, but no more. They found it creates hot zones, like concrete and blacktop and chemical makeup can get into the ground (of course this causes cancer). We push native plants and ground cover with a updated sprinkler system designed for the area. Real grass just take a lot of water, not as much as farming in the desert:rolleyes, but the most use in residential. I have seen studies that show even a covered pool uses way less than a lawn.

At all the CUSD stadiums they have to constantly water the turf, something about the heat and the shit breaking down in extreme heat.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
At all the CUSD stadiums they have to constantly water the turf, something about the heat and the shit breaking down in extreme heat.

Speaking of heat. I ran back a kick return at la salle high school. 102 yards or something like that. I thought my feet were on fire. Stuff gets hot

1rvrryd

Reaction score
Just had our backyard done in addition to new fences and new plants in the raised planter. So far so good. We used Artificial Grass Liquidators. uploadfromtaptalk1471488893924.jpg

NicPaus

Reaction score
Had another customer ask me about it. Said he got a side job quote of $10 a ft installed. How much are you guys paying per ft? Anybody on here have a wholesale hookup if I buy 5 rolls?

spectras only

Reaction score
How about some Roundup on those weeds? :D

We bought this house less than two months ago and didn't even move in yet.:p We take posession on the 29th.Lots of plans to spiff it up after that, including new roof.:p
BTW got any landscaping idea for the big rock behind my property that runs right on top,lol.?
Possiblty a gazebo up there. 20160611_112235.jpg 20160618_110201.jpg

Reactions: SJP

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Just saw an ad.....I think it was at the house. Something about "recycled" turf as an alternative. The ad stated it was 80% cheaper vs. New......and looks the same. Seeing is believing I guess. Something to look in to. Cuz the new shit is ridiculously expensive.:yikes

I just purchased some used turf from Artificial Grass Liquidators (on Harbor Blvd just north of the 91 freeway) for a section behind the patio area that is really shady and nothing will grow due to little to no sunlight.
Was 30' long x 8' wide for $175. Stuff was removed from a local football field and works great for our application. They have a huge selection of used turf and new as well.

236eagledave

Reaction score
I just purchased some used turf from Artificial Grass Liquidators (on Harbor Blvd just north of the 91 freeway) for a section behind the patio area that is really shady and nothing will grow due to little to no sunlight.
Was 30' long x 8' wide for $175. Stuff was removed from a local football field and works great for our application. They have a huge selection of used turf and new as well.

If it's in halfway decent condition that is a steal! I bought a piece of new stuff pretty good quality. 600sf was over $1800.