WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

As Long As We're Ranting... Cali Mileage Tax Extended

LazyLavey

Reaction score
The pilot program has just been extended till 2027:

I'm sure just a coincident.. but, State Farm just raised my premium based on their estimation that during the next 12 months I will be driving 11,100 miles... with no explanation or supporting facts.

Totally ignoring the fact that the last 8 years I have driven 7,800 mile a year... which they have access to that info..

I called my agent and asked, Do they have a fucking calculator???

Sherpa

Reaction score
yeah you gotta bitch to your insurance broker.... I went in to pay one of my vehicles once and that day it was like $200 more... their reason: the estimation of mielage was higher.... I asked how did they know (or guess) since I haven't received any more "current mileage data" from me for over a year..

apparently state farm was moving to a system that gets information from shops when your vehicle is serviced..... the problem with that I informed him was that nobody
works on my cars except me........... EVER. so how do they expect to get current mileage info with that system in place. he got a new update and guess what, my rate actually went DOWN from before their +$200 increase. bastards.

Singleton

Reaction score
yeah you gotta bitch to your insurance broker.... I went in to pay one of my vehicles once and that day it was like $200 more... their reason: the estimation of mielage was higher.... I asked how did they know (or guess) since I haven't received any more "current mileage data" from me for over a year..

apparently state farm was moving to a system that gets information from shops when your vehicle is serviced..... the problem with that I informed him was that nobody
works on my cars except me........... EVER. so how do they expect to get current mileage info with that system in place. he got a new update and guess what, my rate actually went DOWN from before their +$200 increase. bastards.

Have the same problem with SF. When I get renewal notices I look at estimate they have documented. Almost always have to take picture of odometer to show select vehicles in my house don’t get driven that much.
PIA, but always gets adjusted down.

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
More shit I got to pay attention to. Two male drivers under 25, I guess I got used to the lubeless invasion.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Basically they are rapists, if you don't fight back you will get raped.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
If you are driving less your odometer should prove you are driving less.

We have been dealing with it for a bunch of years. Most companies raise it 1k a year unless you can prove otherwise until you hit the state average of 14-15k.

I love talking to clients that complain about there mileage increases and then when i try and help they drove 10k more than they were rated at.

Nobody drives more than a 19 y/o girl or a soccer mom :D

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
The pilot program has just been extended till 2027:

I'm sure just a coincident.. but, State Farm just raised my premium based on their estimation that during the next 12 months I will be driving 11,100 miles... with no explanation or supporting facts.

Totally ignoring the fact that the last 8 years I have driven 7,800 mile a year... which they have access to that info..

I called my agent and asked, Do they have a fucking calculator???

Go electric they said ...

It will be cheaper they said!

Yeah right. 😡

2Driver

Reaction score
Pretty sure they are pulling info from same places Carfax pulls, ie smog checks and dealership service or with new cars the car itself. I got the same letter from SF but it was about, you have been driving over the stated “low use” limit.

I get texts from Jeep about my Gladiator saying I was just driving on an 1/8 of a tank of gas. LOL I texted back: you guys made the thing only get 16 mpg.

Ol Man

Reaction score
I fill out a form for AAA every year on the mileage of all my vehicles. No other commentary. 🤷‍♂️

Meaney77

Reaction score
Surprised any company would automatically raise anything knowing that their are still a shitload of people working from home or working less in the office due to Covid and are driving less.

I guess raise rates under the radar and then deal with the customer who notices and bitches while others dont look to close and just pay each month.

LazyLavey

Reaction score
Surprised any company would automatically raise anything knowing that their are still a shitload of people working from home or working less in the office due to Covid and are driving less.

I guess raise rates under the radar and then deal with the customer who notices and bitches while others dont look to close and just pay each month.
my guess is they're expecting some significant pay out due to the fires.... where else to make up their loss

grumpy88

Reaction score

Mercury has been doing this for years .