WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Ascot Raceway

Lumpy

Reaction score
This is my brother back in the mid 80's. Share whatcha got...

IMG_0654.JPG

HocusPocus

Stihl Outdoor Power Equip
Reaction score
We use to go there often, I'm sure I have some old t-shirts around somewhere.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
I used to race there as a kid. It was Ascot and DeAnza east of Moreno Valley.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...All I’ve got is ...Ascot was relatively close to where I lived on my so-called yacht... standing in the corner of turn one you were sure to get splattered with mud… Nothing but fun👍...

...Guy I worked with/for...making movies for television ...Eddie Wirth...as far as I know he still held the one lap record for unwinged sprints when the track closed???...

boatnam2

Reaction score
I raced there many of nights, early days when you jumped TT jump like a table top and also normal way.

Cdog

Reaction score
Many fun Saturday nights as a little kid watching the racing.

boatnam2

Reaction score
Got some pics somewhere, here is one from terminal island track.

playdeep

Reaction score
...All I’ve got is ...Ascot was relatively close to where I lived on my so-called yacht... standing in the corner of turn one you were sure to get splattered with mud… Nothing but fun👍...

...Guy I worked with/for...making movies for television ...Eddie Wirth...as far as I know he still held the one lap record for unwinged sprints when the track closed???...

Eddie Wirth was a gasser...
Guy was fearless.
FB_IMG_1618280068902.jpg

One of my favorites from back in the day

TrollerDave

Reaction score
Getting hit by the clay in turn one.
Going around the track after the races and collecting the clear tear-aways from the helmets. Getting the drivers to sign the program. Good times as a kid.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
... Re Eddie Wirth...One of the nicest guys you could ever meet...He was on his feet as a transportation captain sometimes 80 hours in a week... told me if he sat down he would fall asleep...One of our drivers was part of his pit crew another driver was his girlfriend Perry ...it was a ton of fun working all week making TV movies and then essentially just heading to Ascot...

Last edited:

Rayson1971

Reaction score
My sister dated a flat tracker named Pete Hames back then and we'd go watch him there quite a bit.

Meaney77

Reaction score
Used to go with my Dad almost every Saturday night to watch Sprint Car races back in the day including the World of Outlaws. It was a trek for us especially with traffic on the 405 but it was awesome. I remember my eyes burning and getting hit with chunks of dirt. Good times at Ascot!!

fmo24

Reaction score
Week night high school motocross. Gnarly drop off that would break a bike or two lol

scottchbrite

Reaction score
Going around the track after the races and collecting the clear tear-aways from the helmets. Getting the drivers to sign the program. Good times as a kid.
This! My brother and I would wear safety goggles and sit near the front and see how much clay wound stick to us. I remember many good times there with my parents

checkrd past

Reaction score
our good neighbor Duane Feduska had the track record for sprint cars there for years.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score

Oh man. I remember bringing out chairs. Bundling up in our down jackets. Goggles. Face shields. Sitting at the fence waiting to get pelted with dirt. What great times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Costa Mesa speedway would another great memory.

Kbach

Reaction score
Come on.....the most important thing about Ascot was the fresh donut vendor. My pops would buy a beer and we got to get some fresh cinnamon donuts. Win win!! Also hitting the slick track before the races was always a good time since you could talk smack with all your buddies during the sprint car races.

We were there on the last night and my buddies dad scooped up enough clay and formed it into a brick. For a bunch of years he had it on his mantle bit not sure now.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...Who was the unwinged sprint guy that used to win a ton of races and held the track record for quite a while...was it Bubby Jones???...

Last edited:

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Ahhhhh...the smell of 2 stroke for miles. 😁
Remember always hearing it from my house in Carson. Used to go there alot to watch sprints. My uncle was somehow involved in it, so our fam would go and hang out. Also ran the BMX track myself. Such a shame when it shut down.

zhandfull

Reaction score
Went once as a kid with my step mother. She somehow knew one of the drivers of the sprint car and I got to meet him after the race. Thinking this was mid to late seventies. Don’t remember his name or even if he was a good driver.

The one thing I will never forget was he was missing a hand and had a hook instead. Story was he rolled the sprint car and crushed the hand so badly between the car and track that it was amputated. Still managed to wheel the sprint car around the track with a hook and one hand. 👍

playdeep

Reaction score
Went once as a kid with my step mother. She somehow knew one of the drivers of the sprint car and I got to meet him after the race. Thinking this was mid to late seventies. Don’t remember his name or even if he was a good driver.

The one thing I will never forget was he was missing a hand and had a hook instead. Story was he rolled the sprint car and crushed the hand so badly between the car and track that it was amputated. Still managed to wheel the sprint car around the track with a hook and one hand. 👍

Tony Simon...he won a bunch of races after he lost his hand.

boatnam2

Reaction score
Daaayum....jackrabbit....thems my old stopping grounds...lol.
I use to ride there from Torrance high, take RR tracks to Normandie and then ride dirt( currently new million dollar homes)all the way down. There was a track behind t-flats also or go the other way behind mobile refinery was the PIT great little track!

boatnam2

Reaction score
My whole family is Glaziers so we use to do some work for dean Thompson he owned a glass shop, he could get around the half mile pretty good in a Sprinter. My favorite there was flat track and TT, Kenny and the boys. Speedway was also good there for awhile.

teded

Reaction score
Sunday night figure 8 races. Went every Sunday night we could. Bought a 57 Chevy figure 8 car that needed some work. Never finished it.

Ascot71

Reaction score
My favorite place on earth as a kid. Anybody remember the Sprint Buggies on Thursday nights? James Gardner, Rick and Roger Mears, Doug Fortin Sr., etc. My earliest memories, parents said I was 3 years old. My Dad's buggy club got invited to drive around the track during intermission. I rode in the passenger seat of his tunnel buggy, and I remember cruising over the TT jump, and at that exact moment I knew I was going to drive racecars someday! Never forget it. Remember sitting in the stands, while all the kids played under the bleachers, watching every lap from hot laps to the main events. Got my drivers license, and spent almost every Fri and Saturday nights there. Raced 3 wheelers and quads. I remember walking the track after the main event on closing night and crying, it was where I grew up, but never got to wheel a car around the 1/2 mile like I had dreamed about. Pried off a 24" piece of wood out of the fence that perfectly had black and white paint on it. I'll have to try to find it, along with the final program and a flag I bought that last night of racing. Make me a little shrine in honor of this awesome place...

My daughter got me this mouse pad for Christmas.

Great memories, thanks for starting this thread!

Attachments

• 20210413_103625.jpg
    20210413_103625.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 48

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score

Billy Boat holds the track record and the only driver to ever break into the 16 seconds lap time.

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
My whole family is Glaziers so we use to do some work for dean Thompson he owned a glass shop, he could get around the half mile pretty good in a Sprinter. My favorite there was flat track and TT, Kenny and the boys. Speedway was also good there for awhile.

My mom went to high school with Dean and we sponsored his car for years. We always used Thompson glass when we needed something.

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
My favorite place on earth as a kid. Anybody remember the Sprint Buggies on Thursday nights? James Gardner, Rick and Roger Mears, Doug Fortin Sr., etc. My earliest memories, parents said I was 3 years old. My Dad's buggy club got invited to drive around the track during intermission. I rode in the passenger seat of his tunnel buggy, and I remember cruising over the TT jump, and at that exact moment I knew I was going to drive racecars someday! Never forget it. Remember sitting in the stands, while all the kids played under the bleachers, watching every lap from hot laps to the main events. Got my drivers license, and spent almost every Fri and Saturday nights there. Raced 3 wheelers and quads. I remember walking the track after the main event on closing night and crying, it was where I grew up, but never got to wheel a car around the 1/2 mile like I had dreamed about. Pried off a 24" piece of wood out of the fence that perfectly had black and white paint on it. I'll have to try to find it, along with the final program and a flag I bought that last night of racing. Make me a little shrine in honor of this awesome place...

My daughter got me this mouse pad for Christmas.

Great memories, thanks for starting this thread!

One of my close friends raced sprint buggies at Ascot. His name was Albert Rodela. He had a Newman Gregor buggy built to run pike's peak.

Meaney77

Reaction score
Here is some good stuff to reminisce on...

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So many great memories there with my grandparents in the 70's and early 80's! I loved the figure 8s!

NicPaus

Reaction score
Drove by earlier going to home depot. Been a insurance yard for years now for totaled cars. I recall going there to get someone out of my Sisters car and they brought the car to me on a giant forklift.