WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Astro Photography Editing

Reaction score
New to the hobby, getting a decent grasp on the imaging part but, I'm finding that proper editing in Photoshop/Light Room is beyond my skill set. Looking for a member (or recommendation) that would be willing to process a stacked TIFF file (Deep Sky Stacker) and would accept payment for time spent. I could also provide the RAW files if that's a better option: 100 lights, 20 darks, 20 flats, 20 bias. Images are of the Andromeda Galaxy(untracked) taken last night, moderate light pollution, Canon EOS Rebel 850D (unmodified), Sigma Art 24-70 lense.

The attached image is the best that I could do with a stack that I captured a month ago, it's horrendous. Made some camera adjustments and shot a new stack last night, hoping for a better processing result with a skilled editor.

I'd also enjoy seeing any astro images that have been taken by members if you wouldn't mind sharing.

IMG-3606.JPG

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
I'm a hack wanna-be . . . but I've dipped my toe into astro minimally . . . but not nearly as in depth as you.
I don't have a tracker, and I don't know how to use any post-process editing software, so sorry I'm no help there.
That being said, I did nerd-out on a bunch of Youtube astrophotography videos, and read a ton of articles as well.
One tip was using the 'Darksite Finder' website to find areas. w/ minimal light pollution.
I also downloaded the 'Photo Pills' app on my phone which seems to be a very helpful tool .

I have this image in my mind that I want to capture of the milky way, that would include the lower colorado river and some of the shoreline landscape with a mix of tule banks, and cliffs / mountains. I have the location pretty well narrowed down, I just have to commit and go execute. It's kind of a commitment for me as I don't want to dedicate a whole trip just for 1 photo . . . hence why I haven't done it. LOL.

I have a few pics. somewhere I'll try to find and post . . . but they are a 'D-' in terms of letter grade.
The thing that was a 'Little' inspiring was using those 2 apps and seeing the results . . . also upgrading my lens made a big difference.

My set up is a Sony A7 III with a Sony 16-35 F2.8 GM and a Feisol tripod. I know there a 'better' lenses for astro, but I just couldn't see buying a 'dedicated' astro lens when I'm really not committed to it . . . I needed something more 'versatile'.

Not sure where you are located, but there is a guy who does workshops out in death valley and Joshua Tree along with other places.
I've been wanting to take one of his workshops.
Here's his link.

Good Luck and I'll look forward to seeing what you come up with.

PS . . . this guy is a wealth of info and also has a great Youtube channel.

Reaction score
I'm a hack wanna-be . . . but I've dipped my toe into astro minimally . . . but not nearly as in depth as you.
I don't have a tracker, and I don't know how to use any post-process editing software, so sorry I'm no help there.
That being said, I did nerd-out on a bunch of Youtube astrophotography videos, and read a ton of articles as well.
One tip was using the 'Darksite Finder' website to find areas. w/ minimal light pollution.
I also downloaded the 'Photo Pills' app on my phone which seems to be a very helpful tool .

I have this image in my mind that I want to capture of the milky way, that would include the lower colorado river and some of the shoreline landscape with a mix of tule banks, and cliffs / mountains. I have the location pretty well narrowed down, I just have to commit and go execute. It's kind of a commitment for me as I don't want to dedicate a whole trip just for 1 photo . . . hence why I haven't done it. LOL.

I have a few pics. somewhere I'll try to find and post . . . but they are a 'D-' in terms of letter grade.
The thing that was a 'Little' inspiring was using those 2 apps and seeing the results . . . also upgrading my lens made a big difference.

My set up is a Sony A7 III with a Sony 16-35 F2.8 GM and a Feisol tripod. I know there a 'better' lenses for astro, but I just couldn't see buying a 'dedicated' astro lens when I'm really not committed to it . . . I needed something more 'versatile'.

Not sure where you are located, but there is a guy who does workshops out in death valley and Joshua Tree along with other places.
I've been wanting to take one of his workshops.
Here's his link.

Good Luck and I'll look forward to seeing what you come up with.

PS . . . this guy is a wealth of info and also has a great Youtube channel.
Thank you for the links and best of luck with your imaging! That's a nice rig, I look forward to seeing some of your shots.

Reaction score
It's truly amazing what's up there! This is the Veil Nebula (aka The Witch's Broom). It's the remnants of a Supernova that occoured between 10 and 20 thousand years ago, it's 2,400 light years away from Earth. The colors are really there, the image isn't photo shopped. This nebula is a cloud of heated, ionized gas.

It took 3 hours of 30 second images, using an off the shelf Canon DSLR (T8i) and a $200 star tracker mounted to a cheap tripod. 1 hour would have been enough for a decent image though.

Veil Nebula.jpg

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Awesome!
Thanks for sharing. 🙏
PS . . . did you use a start stacker software to combine the images???

Last edited:

Reaction score
Awesome!
Thanks for sharing. 🙏
PS . . . did you use a start stacker software to combine the images???
Yes, I used the open source (free) stacking app Siril. I also ran the stack through open source Deep Sky Stacker but the final image needed Photo Shop adjustments which is beyond my skill set.

Any luck on imaging the Milky Way?

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Yes, I used the open source (free) stacking app Siril. I also ran the stack through open source Deep Sky Stacker but the final image needed Photo Shop adjustments which is beyond my skill set.

Any luck on imaging the Milky Way?
Awesome . . . . the Milky Way has eluded me . . . I'm on my 4th trip out there and every time has fallen on almost a full moon !!!!
I guess I need to do a 'dedicated' Milky Way trip, or it's not gonna happen.