WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Attacking Door Panels and Dashboards Without Damaging Them.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
The eye opener:
Our 2001 GMC has a rare bench front seat. We ordered it that way to seat 6.
The center front seat back folds down as a console and had to be replaced. I found the last one avail in the US. Dealer ordered it from back East.
That was an eye opener that interior parts, even the not so rare as the consol are hard to find in a 18 year old truck. I ain't rummaging around the bone yards for parts that are just as bad as the parts I'm replacing.

New parts high cost have long since stopped surprising me and their PITA availability.

So when replacing the dash radio and door speakers I had to be careful not to break anything. It's easy to do removing dashboard plastic and door panels. Speakers were crackling bad and the radio knobs had long since disappeared, plus no bluetooth. Time for new

These trim removal kits are available in auto parts store or online $9 to $14 and I swear by them.

51eeEwG2X%2BL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

I referred to YouTube videos how to attack the dash and door panels. It's usually window tinters, glass replacement shops or a savvy DIY person that posts a video of how ya do it with no damage.
It was a breeze, saved a ton of money DIY once you know what you are looking at.

Friend Gary bought his daughter a new Corolla and within a week the sound system speakers were crackling at any volume.
We experienced the same with a new Sentra we bought one of the kids.
Warranty will replace them of course, but with the same speakers that will quickly default to shit just like the last.

Sound shops want over $500 to replace speakers with better but no name so we rolled with DIY.

We got some good tips here in RDP, but the Crutchfield rep said if we had the non-Bose' systems to stick to 2 OHM or we'll experience serious volume loss. "Get the Powerbass, if ya don't like them send them back for a refund" he added. Free shipping, what the hell I bit.

This is the kinda video I talk about. This kid was a big help and dig that he cautions about and how to avoid parts damage:

The Crutchfield instructions were remove from box, assemble, install. Had a few grainy pictures but really no help how to properly attack the project. The Crutchfield video ended half way into the process and didn't give any tips.

The speaker door adaptors needed some cutting that I made easier by using snips. They are installed backwards than what you might think, so that took a bit of figuring out as well. I didn't want to start cutting unless and was damn sure I was doing it correct. I had the whole door apart and it would take a week to get replacements for anything I messed up.

Anyway, we finished our projects for $70, that's $430 less than what the sound shops quoted.

The Powerbass 2.0 speakers are great.

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score
Never seen those tool kits before, granted I haven't pulled a door panel off a car in probably 15 years as my aftermarket stereo days are behind me. I'm still going to pick some up since those look to have utility for other stuff I always seem to be trying to pry on.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Even the newer cars that sit out in Arizona sun get brittle within a few years.:(