WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Attn Charcoal Cookers: Dry Rubbed Baby Backs

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
If you cook on lump charcoal, anything from an old webber to a Big Green egg, and you like dry rub, give this a go:

baby backs cut into 3 bone sections, heavily rubbed in your rub of choice, I do a mixture of mainly lemon pepper with cayenne, paprika, garlic and onion powder, and Jalopeno Salt.

Coat the ribs until they are nice and covered, let them sit in the fridge for a few hours or overnight.

Set up your coals to run for 4 hours at 210-230F. I lay down a long strip in my PK about the width of a rack of ribs, and only start about a 6"x"6" section, this will allow it to "Burn down the line", and make for minimal tending. Do not put the ribs on top of the coals, you are looking for indirect heat here, One side of the grill has the coals, the other side has the ribs.

No temp probe, no checking for doneness, just run them on pure lump charcoal, no wood, no smoke, 4-4.5 hours at 210-230.

They have a great little crisp on the outside, the inside is nice and tender and should pull of the bone easily, but not be soggy. A nice little hint of the charcoal, but no overbearing smoke, No sauce.

Personally this is my favorite way to have ribs now, and such a refreshing difference from sauced ribs.

ribs 1 - Copy.jpg
ribs 2 - Copy.jpg
ribs 3 - Copy.jpg

DLC

Reaction score
Looks good! Not a lot of shrinkage!
im going to try it!

We usually do a 3-2-1 method on my Treager, dry rub only and cover in a tin with some type of soda or juice, takes like 6 hrs!

at Costco we get a 3 rack package and have 2 racks for leftovers - usually cut the meat off the bones and use it on a salad, pizza topping, taco meat, sammich etc
it tastes great

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Looks good! Not a lot of shrinkage!
im going to try it!

We usually do a 3-2-1 method on my Treager, dry rub only and cover in a tin with some type of soda or juice, takes like 6 hrs!

at Costco we get a 3 rack package and have 2 racks for leftovers - usually cut the meat off the bones and use it on a salad, pizza topping, taco meat, sammich etc
it tastes great

Throw these bad boys in you toaster oven day 2 for about 45 minutes at 200ish to warm em back up and they are as good as fresh off the grill 👌👍