WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Attn: Glamis Ghost Campers

77charger

Reaction score

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Can we just merge this thread with the "EZ Ups & super soakers in the channel" threads?
Been 10 yrs or so I guess since going to glamis, last time was when the wash road was being rebuilt away from train tracks.
Rode there in late 70s through about 2010ish. Early on Gecko campground was our spot, never saw ghost camping in those days but relocated away from everyone in the dunes, never more than a handful of other campers.
I must be oldschool though, we knew gecko road as 7mile rd.😁

Groper

Reaction score
You just need a scout in a 4wd to lead you. I get us spots all the way in the back of the wash against the dunes and guide the heavys through a prerun route from wash rd. Not hard, just be smart
Bhahahahahahlolololo you would think right well yes in most cases, I showed up late one night around wash 10 a 4x4 came out to guide me to our already setup group of 6-8 rigs as were driving in deeper than we should have been going I looked over at the wife and said were stuck when we stop :oops: LOL I floored it made it around the circle and stopped burried with a TOL of 65' rig.

Sunday am it was two 4x4's to get me to terra firma.

Now I get out and walk it. ;)

Icky

Reaction score
The guys in motor homes and big 5th wheels usually show up when there's still day light as it's easier to see. Most of them know better than to get stuck and either air down or let's some hook up to them before they get really stuck

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I’m one of those that likes Gecko. The washes hammer your shit and your choking on dirt in a dust bowl all weekend. Try to leave a window or door to the RV open on a nice day and your counters are covered in dust. Camping at the vendor area is no different.

The ghost camping thing has been going on for so long that I think it’ll be difficult for BLM to modify people’s behavior now.

Meanwhile the Rangers have no problem walking into my camp shaking everyone down for a glass bottle or pallet lol

The single digit washes are definitely like that. You have to be willing to go deep.

Now that they made the new wash road, it's childs play. Back in the old days, getting past 15 was only for the adventurous types.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
The single digit washes are definitely like that. You have to be willing to go deep.

Now that they made the new wash road, it's childs play. Back in the old days, getting past 15 was only for the adventurous types.

Agreed, you have to go past the stop sign. Then it’s just a quick blip of the throttle and you’re at China Wall when you’re that far back.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Agreed, you have to go past the stop sign. Then it’s just a quick blip of the throttle and you’re at China Wall when you’re that far back.

22 is Minimum for me.

What sucks azz now is that the New road gets you back there with no problem.

When it WAS all whooped out, there was NOBODY back there and it was heaven.

If you're a hang out in the channel kinna dude, you'll love Gecko.

If you're a wake up to peace and quiet kinna dude, there are Far better places to be.

Different strokes for different strokes. 👍🏼

20200226_083338.jpg

20200226_152001.jpg

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
You just need a scout in a 4wd to lead you. I get us spots all the way in the back of the wash against the dunes and guide the heavys through a prerun route from wash rd. Not hard, just be smart
Yeah, park and get out and pre-walk your line before you make your attempt. Cant deal with the dust in the washes or the distance to get to the big dunes. If you have little kids the washes are the best bet cause you can set up kiddie tracks inside your circles or the kids can play in the little dunes that border the washes.

DaveH

Reaction score
IMO the REAL issue here is the lack of paved camping.

when was the last time you saw real improvements done with all the money the ISDRA is taking in?

sure they have done some re-paving, better about cleaning the outhouses and trash dumpsters.

given the fee increases over the years where has that money gone? I see lots of new vehicles and equipment for law enforcement.

yet glamis, since the paving went in back in the late 70's....hasn't added a single paved area. usage is more popular then ever and we are using the same size facilities since its inception.

ghost campers are a symptom of the real problem. i would love to see where the money really goes. good luck with that.

BIGRED9158

Reaction score

when was the last time you saw real improvements done with all the money the ISDRA is taking in?

sure they have done some re-paving, better about cleaning the outhouses and trash dumpsters.

given the fee increases over the years where has that money gone? I see lots of new vehicles and equipment for law enforcement.

yet glamis, since the paving went in back in the late 70's....hasn't added a single paved area. usage is more popular then ever and we are using the same size facilities since its inception.

ghost campers are a symptom of the real problem. i would love to see where the money really goes. good luck with that.

I have said this before to a few friends the vendor area would be a perfect area for paved camping

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score

Good luck getting environmental clearance on that one. The entire place is under a microscope by the treehuggers already.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Good luck getting environmental clearance on that one. The entire place is under a microscope by the treehuggers already.
That right there is the issue all in one basket. I've not seen any improvement in any offroad recreational area...ever.
Adding easier access and/or paved parking will only bring in more people. Paved parking would make it easier for LE to enforce though.

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
When you show up on a Wednesday and Gecko rd looks like a Saturday morning with nowhere to park, yellow tape and 300 yards off coned off real estate it starts to piss you off. When anyone with a job and a 400 credit score or better can finance a side by side you get a lot of dipshits out there.
This is exactly right.

kimbalee

Reaction score
BLM says this shit every year and never does a damn thing. They can't. The RRE & pad ghost campers always have people (workers) staying in their camp so it looks occupied unless you're watching it 24/7. The worst ghost campers are also the richest - the $500 fine for exceeding the 14day limit is like ashtray change to them - they have all said so. When Lance posted that on the boardmanville IG, Pont commented his shit is already there set up for Halloween :)

Bobby_329

Reaction score
The washes are normally fine as long as it has rained. I think it was 2 years ago i went for thanksgiving and it was dry and holy shit the dust was bad we dealt with it but it sucked. Weve been going to dumont and Winchester bay more the last few years over glamis.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
The washes are normally fine as long as it has rained. I think it was 2 years ago i went for thanksgiving and it was dry and holy shit the dust was bad we dealt with it but it sucked. Weve been going to dumont and Winchester bay more the last few years over glamis.
And conversely, I’ve never been a fan of camping in washes because....they’re washes. I know how they got there and on occasion it becomes a very ugly place to be.

Meaney77

Reaction score
Used to enjoy Glamis back in the day and havent been there in a few years. When we used to go more, we had bumper tows and 5th wheels and were able to air down and camp by the aqueduct. Havent been back out there since we got into our Motorhome. I think we will be trying to get a spot in Gecko early to mid week, not A shot in hell I am going to air down and try and make down to the water.

sokalkrew

Reaction score
I think it's the prime real estate on gecko that pisses people off. The washes have tons of room. Personally we stay in the washes, our group is too big and Last minute to try and fight for a spot on gecko.
The ghost camps aren’t a huge issue in itself but with that said the they roll in on Tuesday and rope off 500’ of frontage for their friends which compounds the problem
So to me that’s the biggest issue with all of this

Icky

Reaction score

The ghost camps aren’t a huge issue in itself but with that said the they roll in on Tuesday and rope off 500’ of frontage for their friends which compounds the problem
So to me that’s the biggest issue with all of this
I agree, friends of ours do it in the washes as well. Someone parked in the middle of it one time and said fuck your tape. Imagine waking up in the morning with 10-15 trailers surrounding you

Mototrig

Reaction score
I agree, friends of ours do it in the washes as well. Someone parked in the middle of it one time and said fuck your tape. Imagine waking up in the morning with 10-15 trailers surrounding you
Our group is full of weirdos we would make it very uncomfortable for the rig in the middle. Let's just say they would wake up to the Ring of fire around their rig. It's worth the fuel

evantwheeler

Reaction score
It's been about 10 for us and I thought it was getting bad back then. Growing up going to Glamis was always a great time. Now it sounds like it's getting fucked up like a lot of other places.

Same can be said for those that grew up going to LOTO....

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
Just curious how to do you tow a 5th wheel when the slides are out and the leveling things are down? Do you just drag it onto a trailer and destroy it all? Same with a rig thats pinned to the trailer with a lock.

As much as this is a scare tactic I imagine this is just flat out unenforceable....

Gelcoater

Reaction score
One thing I really enjoy about the washes is when I am done driving for the day and start tipping them back 🥃 I can grab my chair and ice chest walk a few 100 feet to a dune sit on top of a dune and watch the kids ride around on the small dunes while the sun goes down.
That is a pretty cool aspect of camping the washes. 👍

Kids in our camp are approaching teen years. We’ve migrated to the evening sunset ride.
They get to rally in some big bowls and watch the sun set over the desert then we go back to camp in the dark.
Wears their asses out, and hones the skills. Riding after dark is another animal.
D2EAC78A-1CC6-4872-ACC2-1E6C2A45A2DF.jpeg
1734DBEA-BFB7-44FA-865F-468730CB1174.jpeg

On a side note here.
I run a couple of laser star type lights on the bars of the 250.
(Is a 2 stroke and no battery power)
I switched out the halogens for LED bulbs and because of the low watt draw, there is no dimming of light at idle anymore.
Stays a constant no matter rpm. 👍

69hondo

Reaction score
That is a pretty cool aspect of camping the washes. 👍

Kids in our camp are approaching teen years. We’ve migrated to the evening sunset ride.
They get to rally in some big bowls and watch the sun set over the desert then we go back to camp in the dark.
Wears their asses out, and hones the skills. Riding after dark is another animal.
View attachment 1061224 View attachment 1061225

On a side note here.
I run a couple of laser star type lights on the bars of the 250.
(Is a 2 stroke and no battery power)
I switched out the halogens for LED bulbs and because of the low watt draw, there is no dimming of light at idle anymore.
Stays a constant no matter rpm. 👍
That's good to know. We have 3 250rs so I will look into that.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
That's good to know. We have 3 250rs so I will look into that.
I believe they were $12.99 at Ace hardware, lol.
I’ve no idea what or if they have an option for stock headlights?
I have a banshee with stock headlight buckets, would love to find an LED replacement bulb.
It also has an aftermarket 200W stator... but I’d prefer going lower wattage on bulbs and heat.
The new bulbs on the 250 don’t get anywhere near as hot as the old halogen bulbs.

77charger

Reaction score
I believe they were $12.99 at Ace hardware, lol.
I’ve no idea what or if they have an option for stock headlights?
I have a banshee with stock headlight buckets, would love to find an LED replacement bulb.
It also has an aftermarket 200W stator... but I’d prefer going lower wattage on bulbs and heat.
The new bulbs on the 250 don’t get anywhere near as hot as the old halogen bulbs.
Take a small led lightbar mount to handle bars. Go get some rc car 6-7 cell nimh battery packs. Run 2 in a series use those to power the lightbar.

Easy to mount the battery packs too. Just make sure whatever led bar is rated for about 15 volts although most are 9-32volt rated. For this application I’d take nimh over lipo just for safety reasons. And get some 5000 mah sized be Atleast 3 hrs of light. This is what I’m doing for my plated cr500.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Take a small led lightbar mount to handle bars. Go get some rc car 6-7 cell nimh battery packs. Run 2 in a series use those to power the lightbar.

Easy to mount the battery packs too. Just make sure whatever led bar is rated for about 15 volts although most are 9-32volt rated. For this application I’d take nimh over lipo just for safety reasons. And get some 5000 mah sized be Atleast 3 hrs of light. This is what I’m doing for my plated cr500.
Can you break that down into idiot English for us painter types?
All I know is electricity is blue, and it hurts.🤷‍♂️🔥

77charger

Reaction score
Can you break that down into idiot English for us painter types?
All I know is electricity is blue, and it hurts.🤷‍♂️🔥
2 small battery packs 7.4 volts each. You wire them in series. Pos to beg then your remaining 2 wires are your new positive and negative. Plenty to power light or simpler use a lithium cordless tool battery under 20 volts.

The mag lights worked great in the .90s though. 😂

77charger

Reaction score
Just curious how to do you tow a 5th wheel when the slides are out and the leveling things are down? Do you just drag it onto a trailer and destroy it all? Same with a rig thats pinned to the trailer with a lock.

As much as this is a scare tactic I imagine this is just flat out unenforceable....
Think a tow truck driver is not prepared 😂 you call them to unlock your car or whatever.

sokalkrew

Reaction score

Very true Dave! If they put in more pads on gecko and other locations none of this would be a problem

sokalkrew

Reaction score
It can get ugly quickly lol
If people were just conservative saving space for friends it wouldn’t be that bad some of these jack holes are just greedy with the space

C_J_J_C

Reaction score
Why would anyone encourage any more goverment enforcement?
That being said, If BLM really cared it would be easy to enforce. They could easily mark down license plates at the ranger station, mark tires, or even photograph with drones. Ticket at 14 days, post a short warning period usually 3 or 7 days, and tow. As far as towing these rigs, for what the tow companies stand to make, give the tow company authority and they will tow with a smile and without hesitation.

Mototrig

Reaction score
Very true Dave! If they put in more pads on gecko and other locations none of this would be a problem
Leave the paved pads at gecko....the last thing we need is more pavement in other places or as someone mentioned earlier ruining vendor row with pavement for glampers.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Friends have set the tickets are being left on the rigs, has anyone looked at one, curious what the amount is?

grumpy88

Reaction score
Kind of no different when they finally cracked down on the fireman taking the beach camping spots all summer . At least they moved out per the law . They were just breaking the spirit of the law and still got the boot . Deservedly so in my opinion .