WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Attn: Glamis Ghost Campers

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
If you went with myself or Larry, I'm pretty sure you'd have a good time.

You'd miss Olds, the drags, Gecko and the lower washes. But you'll get to see what the fuss is Really all about. 👍🏼
I could have went many times in the past. My son grew up going there early on with his Mom and step Dad. I was more the boater and harley guy. My grandsons know how to use a clutch so its all good. I just never felt the need.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I’ve seen video of guys skipping 600+ feet... technically might be doable across parts of Parker. Buy me a SXS and I’ll try it :)

600 ft of 3 inch deep water. I actually do have the video of my friend doing it!

Some day, when you're F150 grows up and turns into a Real truck, youll be able to get to Spinreel, Winchester Bay, Choke Cherry and places like that.

Till then, Keep watching those videos and dreaming!👍🏼😁

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
They unattended vehicle rule enforcement Won’t change anything. These guys pay someone to stay with their shit for weeks on end to get around that and the vandalism.

It will be interesting to see if the BLM actually has anyone intelligent enough to affectively enforce the 14 day/25 mile rule.

They should get some training from the Quartzsite guys. They're all over the snowbirds on the 15th day, like Sea Doos on a wake boat.

jailbird141

Reaction score
This story gets reborn every year about this time. While I totally support the idea of towing ghost camps and agree something needs to be done, nothing will happen. Unfortunately.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
So why camp where THERE ISNT enough room and so limited? You're just setting yourself up to get pissed. Go where there's more room.
I’m not driving a 45,000 pound rig into the sand at the washes.

Ticketing has already started. The tickets won’t have any impact, it’s not expensive enough to matter much to those who leave $500,000 rigs out there. Towing will have an impact.

The 14 day rule has never been an issue with the rangers, I have stayed a month or more at times, and the ranges come by and say hi all the time, but I’m there the whole time, not a ghost.

Gecko is already filling up for Halloween. Most ghosts will leave their stuff through vets day at a minimum, many till past new years.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
600 ft of 3 inch deep water. I actually do have the video of my friend doing it!

Some day, when you're F150 grows up and turns into a Real truck, youll be able to get to Spinreel, Winchester Bay, Choke Cherry and places like that.

Till then, Keep watching those videos and dreaming!👍🏼😁

You asked if it walks on water.. the answer is yes :)

It’s been done over multiple feet deep water. If you are skipping on the water it doesn’t matter if it is 6 inches deep or 6 feet deep, unless you break the surface tension :)

My truck already gets there faster than yours, and I don’t need to open the vent windows to cool off.

What are you gonna do when CA does not let you register that thing here anymore? :)

Last edited:

Mototrig

Reaction score
So you're friends with Lance eh?

Gonna stop by there and visit with Doug on the way home from Parker. Maybe they will give me a job! 😁
I met Lance through a good buddy of his in our group. He and his wife are very hospital people.Now I dont claim to know him well at all, but we were invited to camp there a few times a couple of years ago, once for Thanksgiving.

Eating Thanksgiving dinner in a house at a dinner table while looking at the washes and Olds in the distance was something I'll never forget.

Mototrig

Reaction score
I’m not driving a 45,000 pound rig into the sand at the washes.

Ticketing has already started. The tickets won’t have any impact, it’s not expensive enough to matter much to those who leave $500,000 rigs out there. Towing will have an impact.

The 14 day rule has never been an issue with the rangers, I have stayed a month or more at times, and the ranges come by and say hi all the time, but I’m there the whole time, not a ghost.

Gecko is already filling up for Halloween. Most ghosts will leave their stuff through vets day at a minimum, many till past new years.
It's baffling to me that gecko is already filling up for Halloween. That's awesome you can be there so long at a time.

rickym20

Reaction score
Really crossing my fingers that this year is a little more settle then last year. Our first trip is Vets weekend but after that , it is off weekends for the remainder of the season. Hopefully with Kids in school and sports it’s a little more manageable then last.

Ghost campers will always be apart of the equation.

wallnutz

Reaction score
Pad 5 is still half empty, why don’t some of you go grab some spots.🙄

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
Bring in a crane lift that shit box on a flat bed hand the owner a $20,000.00 tow bill word will get around ASAP!!

NOW!! that would be worth bringing the E-Z Up a nice Lawn Chair and A Cooler to watch. Then better yet be there when Mr. "BIG" shows up to his empty Space.:cool:

DLC

Reaction score
NOW!! that would be worth bringing the E-Z Up a nice Lawn Chair and A Cooler to watch. Then better yet be there when Mr. "BIG" shows up to his empty Space.:cool:
That’s what I was thinking!

can you picture showing up and thinking I parked my rig here 2 weeks ago….

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
Hahaha "In the spirit of Halloween we have decided to crack down on Ghost Camping...muahahahaha!" - BLM

Yeah this has been an issue for a long time but nothing ever seems to change.

JB in so cal

Reaction score
So I don't go to the channel in the summer and hang out, same here?? If it's that crowded why go there? Sounds like a shit show

hawgty55

Reaction score
Been a long time since ive been to glamis. But im not sure how i feel about it. Guess id say id rather the ghost spot. Than the guy who shows up early and puts caution tape up for all the guys coming a day later?

Reactions: DWC

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Why do you guys care if people leave their rigs unattended on the sand? Glamis is huge....camp somewhere else. I've seen people leave their stuff in the washes unattended many times. Even a few prevost rigs with double stackers. They take all the risk leaving their stuff. I personally would never do it, I think it's dumb leaving your stuff unattended and vulnerable to thieves but to each his own. But why get mad?
this is a if they get an inch they'll take a mile... one day they are towing diesel pushers.... next they will be taking easy ups from the channel.....

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Some new leadership in the local BLM office and they are taking note that ghost camping has become a real problem. Word is they'll be nice with signs and education for a little while, but towing rigs if necessary is definitely on the table.

I hope nobody here is enough of an asshole to do this, but if you are, you can eat a bag of dicks and I hope you get your rig towed...or worse.
it's the A-holes from AZ moving to cal trying to change all the rules

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
So I don't go to the channel in the summer and hang out, same here?? If it's that crowded why go there? Sounds like a shit show
Wrong analogy, think of it as people parking in Windsor parking lot but taking 4 spaces instead of 1. Thus sending everyone to the dirt launch ramp on the island.

69hondo

Reaction score
I heard they put in a motel 6 in wash 10 😆

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
Started going to glamis in the early 80s my 1st time out was on my little KX80 motorcycle took that thing all over the dunes and had a blast! We even went trick or treating in glamis on gecko road a couple years just cruising around on quads and bikes whatever you had just rolling into random peoples camps. Everyone had a bowl of candy ready to pass out to the kids! One of my favorite memories is all the STARS in the sky! Sadly that’s gone for the most part.

It’s definitely not the same on gecko rd.

Reactions: DWC

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
So why camp where THERE ISNT enough room and so limited? You're just setting yourself up to get pissed. Go where there's more room.

Because it's right off the asphalt so you don't have to drive miles down washboard or through sand.

SkyDirtWaterguy

Reaction score
The ghost campers and Mariachi music blaring until 3am on Gecko rd really killed the Glamis vibe for me the last few years. Like others have said, I'm not driving a diesel pusher pulling a 24' box trailer thru the sand in the washes to camp. When you show up on a Wednesday and Gecko rd looks like a Saturday morning with nowhere to park, yellow tape and 300 yards of coned off real estate it starts to piss you off. When anyone with a job and a 400 credit score or better can finance a side by side you get a lot of dipshits out there. I used to like to return the favor to the mariachi music fans by waking up at 6am and cranking Motley Crue or Van Halen for awhile. Glamis is a lot of fun but just like everywhere else, the type and amount of people out there now has ruined it for me.

Last edited:

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Glad I have never been or have any desire to go to Glamis. Sounds like nothing more than a big shit show....

Glamis is actually really nice mid week or on off weekends.

The problem here is a bunch of people are abusing the rules, being lazy and or cheap, using prime camping as free storage between trips.

The ghost campers and Mariachi music blaring until 3am on Gecko rd really killed the Glamis vibe for me the last few years. Like others have said, I'm not driving a diesel pusher pulling 24' box trailer thru the sand in the washes to camp. When you show up on a Wednesday and Gecko rd looks like a Saturday morning with nowhere to park, yellow tape and 300 yards off coned off real estate it starts to piss you off. When anyone with a job and a 400 credit score or better can finance a side by side you get a lot of dipshits out there. I used to like to return the favor to the mariachi music fans by waking up at 6am and cranking Motley Crue or Van Halen for awhile. Glamis is a lot of fun but just like everywhere else, the type and amount of people out there now has ruined it for me.

Glamis was in it's prime 2008 and the several years that followed when the economy was shit, all the lowlifes lost their toys.

77charger

Reaction score
393161_540578412618869_1353361400_n.jpg

We hate the washes and tight spaces on gecko road.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
I've never been to glamis before, but have seen pictures of stuck rigs heading down to the washes. Can a 30' class A gasser with a flat bed trailer make it or will I be in trouble? Better served hitting the washes from Ogilby Road? Or even stay at Ogilby BLM campground?

BIGRED9158

Reaction score
I've never been to glamis before, but have seen pictures of stuck rigs heading down to the washes. Can a 30' class A gasser with a flat bed trailer make it or will I be in trouble? Better served hitting the washes from Ogilby Road? Or even stay at Ogilby BLM campground?

You can make it easily I have honestly seen more toy hauler stuck at the washes then motor homes

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
I’m one of those that likes Gecko. The washes hammer your shit and your choking on dirt in a dust bowl all weekend. Try to leave a window or door to the RV open on a nice day and your counters are covered in dust. Camping at the vendor area is no different.

The ghost camping thing has been going on for so long that I think it’ll be difficult for BLM to modify people’s behavior now.

Meanwhile the Rangers have no problem walking into my camp shaking everyone down for a glass bottle or pallet lol

Groper

Reaction score
You'll be fine just like every other rig stay out of the soft stuff.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score

Super easy to get around in that setup. I wouldn’t think twice about it. The pics you see online are like plane crashes. Almost every one is attributed to pilot error when it mattered most. Truthfully I don’t know how people get stuck the way they do in those pics.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
You will make it easily. Just don’t go to deep in the wash. The further you get into the washes say 15+ the softer the sand gets in the wash too. Be ready for the train!! Toot toot

Mototrig

Reaction score
You just need a scout in a 4wd to lead you. I get us spots all the way in the back of the wash against the dunes and guide the heavys through a prerun route from wash rd. Not hard, just be smart

badgas

Reaction score
Mariachi music blaring until 3am. I used to like to return the favor to the mariachi music fans by waking up at 6am and cranking Motley Crue or Van Halen for awhile.
Haha 👍

We used to do the same thing only we would take hot laps ( LOUD bikes with pipes ) all around the said camp and wake them up early Sat morning. This way they would be tired out on Sat night and go to sleep on time.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I’m one of those that likes Gecko. The washes hammer your shit and your choking on dirt in a dust bowl all weekend. Try to leave a window or door to the RV open on a nice day and your counters are covered in dust. Camping at the vendor area is no different.

The ghost camping thing has been going on for so long that I think it’ll be difficult for BLM to modify people’s behavior now.

Meanwhile the Rangers have no problem walking into my camp shaking everyone down for a glass bottle or pallet lol
Yep.
Wash=silt
Silt=dust.

While I appreciate their trying to keep glass out, can someone explain why the Glamis store has a giant rack of wine in bottles? 🤷‍♂️

77charger

Reaction score
Off the canal “road”?
No off gecko actually. We go in about 3/4 mile been going there for the last 12 years same spot every holiday weekend or whenever we go. Last year only made it there once but back at it again

Last edited:

PaPaG

Reaction score
We used to go to Glamis 2-3 times a season, had a blast in the old days I am guessing around the early 80's, the best part was a buddy of ours knew the owners to the store/upstairs bar, after they closed up for the night our group got to go in and get a hot shower with no crowds, beers and pizzas we felt like big shot ballers lol Pismo used to be almost as fun but everything changed when they stared trimming the area we could ride and the crowds at both places got to large.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Yep.
Wash=silt
Silt=dust.

While I appreciate their trying to keep glass out, can someone explain why the Glamis store has a giant rack of wine in bottles? 🤷‍♂️

I too can appreciate the glass bottle thing but those fuckers have rolled into my camp five officers deep at 8pm. Then try to play nice when they don’t find anything.

Get the fuck out of my camp and don’t pretend to be my friend lol

BIGRED9158

Reaction score
So now that we established glamis sucks who will be there for Halloween we are getting there Friday morning

69hondo

Reaction score
We camp in the washes and try to get towards the back of the wash closest to the dunes. Its always a risk with the MOHO but so far so good.. Our group is to big and to poor to attempt camping off Gecko ;) but I get the appeal. When you camp in the washes with a big car you have to go through a lot of smaller dunes to get to any good dunes. There is pros and cons to both.

One thing I really enjoy about the washes is when I am done driving for the day and start tipping them back 🥃 I can grab my chair and ice chest walk a few 100 feet to a dune sit on top of a dune and watch the kids ride around on the small dunes while the sun goes down.