WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

ATTN Pilots. Need Input On What To Plane Buy

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
So the other plane thread turned up that there are FAR more pilots on here than I thought, so going to ask for some input.

I solo'd 20 years ago, then promptly crashed my C-150. I have not flown much since. I recently moved and the commute is MUCH more than I bargained for and there are airports 7 minutes from both my house and my office, so I put into motion getting my PPL once and for all. I am about a month away from taking my final check ride to obtain my PPL with a VFR rating.

I am looking for a daily flyer to use as a commuter, about 65 miles each way. Will it get used for some mild cross country on occasion? Sure, but that is not the main goal here. I want to keep the costs under $100K (would prefer under $75K, but don't want junk). I am really interested in sticking with Experimental to keep the costs down, but not opposed to certified.

My current sights are on an RV-12 (I want side by side seating), Tecnam Eaglet P92 (or similar), and as of late I have really added the Lancair 320 to the list (these are TOP of the price range, but they are a LOT of plane as well.. )

What other do the inmates suggest. My CFI hasn't been a ton of help in this area. He's pretty well pigeon holed to the Cessna 172.

Also- What are you guy running for headsets? My David Clarks from 2 decades ago are ok, but I have to assume there are some really good noise canceling ones now that make flying even more enjoyable.

Singleton

Reaction score
Will you be saving any time once you factor in pre/post flight activities, transportation to airport etc? Also cost with storage and fees at airport might make commenting Monday and staying in hotels until Friday look cheap.

My SD to LA commute sucked. Ended up driving Monday to work, living in a hotel then home Thursday night. Not the best for the family, but easier. Commuted for 1 week (leave house at 4am, leave office at 8pm). Was never home

Mhemperly

Reaction score
awesome! Congrats on getting back into it!

1st. Bose A20 headset is the best all around headset. now that outta the way.

as far as aircraft it depends on where you live? Are you going to eventually need something that is IFR capable? What airports is your commute between?

expirimental will save you money in parts for sure, but not in maintenance cost with an A/P unless you have built 51% of the aircraft. That’s the only way you can sign off the conditionals (aka annual for experimental) otherwise you are still stuck having a certified mechanic inspect it.

of the three you mention I’d say the 320 will be most efficient (speed vs fuel burn) but a hand full of an airplane. They are fast and slippery.

I think you should try and get some seat time in all aircraft you are considering before a purchase if possible. Also call insurance companies for quotes and see what they’re going to require for transition and time in type before you’re turned loose.

Mike

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
where are you at?

yea, Bose a20 for sure.

At 65 miles speed doesn’t have to be your first concern imho. What about something like a backcountry plane you could play with on the weekends? Even something like a zenith cruzer could be cool. A 180 kt first plane for commuting may be a little faster than you want/need to go.

Oh and skipping the traffic is worth a time penalty in my book 😁👍

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
So the other plane thread turned up that there are FAR more pilots on here than I thought, so going to ask for some input.

I solo'd 20 years ago, then promptly crashed my C-150. I have not flown much since. I recently moved and the commute is MUCH more than I bargained for and there are airports 7 minutes from both my house and my office, so I put into motion getting my PPL once and for all. I am about a month away from taking my final check ride to obtain my PPL with a VFR rating.

I am looking for a daily flyer to use as a commuter, about 65 miles each way. Will it get used for some mild cross country on occasion? Sure, but that is not the main goal here. I want to keep the costs under $100K (would prefer under $75K, but don't want junk). I am really interested in sticking with Experimental to keep the costs down, but not opposed to certified.

My current sights are on an RV-12 (I want side by side seating), Tecnam Eaglet P92 (or similar), and as of late I have really added the Lancair 320 to the list (these are TOP of the price range, but they are a LOT of plane as well.. )

What other do the inmates suggest. My CFI hasn't been a ton of help in this area. He's pretty well pigeon holed to the Cessna 172.

Also- What are you guy running for headsets? My David Clarks from 2 decades ago are ok, but I have to assume there are some really good noise canceling ones now that make flying even more enjoyable.

The bill for the last tarmac wasnt enough huh... looking to buy some more?🤣🤣

rrrr

Reaction score
I'm not impugning your flying skills by saying this, a Lancair 320 is not an airplane for a low time pilot. Besides that, it has a really small useful load.

Your instructor is giving you good advice with the 172. If you want something with more useful load and just a good all around plane, a Cessna 182 will check the boxes.

Am I being conservative? Yep. But you wouldn't sell a 25' Eliminator, go out and buy a 36' DCB with a couple of 800 HP engines, and bury the sticks on a windy and choppy day either.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Look for an older RV4 or the like, maybe a Mustang II or even a Thorp T-18. All fun little airplanes.

I have my opinions in buying a used A/B composite airframe, but it isn't backed up by any evidence... LOL...

AFA the headsets, I've done two Headset Inc. upgrades. These kits convert a passive DC style headphone to ANR. First one took about a day, the second a couple of hours. But buying a set of Bose is easier for sure.

TimeBandit

Reaction score
Best headsets: Bose A20's. Lightspeed's Zulu 3 or David Clark's new DC ONE X come in a close second.

A Van's RV6a is a huge step up performance wise from an RV12, the 12 is more for sport pilots or those who can't get a standard medical.

Barnstormers, Trade a plane or Controller may be worth a look, not many deals out there these days.

Cessna 172/182 prices have gone nuts, double a few years ago.

Todays flight over Big Bear.

Attachments

• wing view wed big bear may 2021.jpg
    wing view wed big bear may 2021.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

Dkahnjob

Reaction score
Like RRRR said, you can't go wrong with a 172 or 182, but the Van's planes are also very solid. I wouldn't get a Lancair, a little to slippery for a begining pilot.
Yes, on the Bose head set also.

JDKRXW

Reaction score
My CFI hasn't been a ton of help in this area. He's pretty well pigeon holed to the Cessna 172.

I haven't flown in a long time, but when I was getting started, I was building time on a 172RG. In addition to the gear, they have a CS prop so you can get comfortable in a more complex plane that won't get out infront of a rookie like a 200mph plane will.
I still like 177RG's (baby 210's) - they clip right along.

wallnutz

Reaction score
I haven't flown in a long time, but when I was getting started, I was building time on a 172RG. In addition to the gear, they have a CS prop so you can get comfortable in a more complex plane that won't get out infront of a rookie like a 200mph plane will.
I still like 177RG's (baby 210's) - they clip right along.
I have some time in a 177 (cardinal) great plane, just watch out for the cg.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score

Before you do can you put the boat in your will for me? I’d keep her pretty in your memory.

Kenny D

Reaction score
Bose A 20............A piper Archer may fit your needs. I had one many years ago....... easy to fly......4 seater. To make sure, you get to work and home again, think about getting your IFR rating.

racektm

Reaction score
IFR for sure!

I have had both a newer 172S and T182T, they both fly the same, of course more useful load with the 182. Both had the G1000 glass cockpits, very user friendly for low hour pilots. Bose noise cancelling headsets for sure

Good Luck!

Last edited:

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
One of my dreams in life would be to have my pilot's license and be able to even just rent a plane and fly to a vacation spot would be AMAZING! But, no money or time to do so.

Reactions: DWC

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
Just my opinion - I think I’d find a place to live that was closer to work or find work closer to home than have to commuter fly everyday.

Boat211

Reaction score
I recently bought the Lightspeed Zulu 3 headset. Very happy with it. I'm also poking around at planes. So many options. I'm still trying to decide between low or high wing. A turbo 182RG is looking pretty interesting at the moment.

hman442

Reaction score
The Bose A20 & Lightspeed Zulu3 are considered the best. I bought Faro G3 for less then half, they work very well, are comfortable, the ANR works great, can't tell the difference between them and my buddy's Zulu. The newer bluetooth Faro is the G3. I have a 182h, a 65 model. As said earlier, popular models have damn near doubled in recent years. The 172 is a popular trainer, & training has exploded in recent years, lots of Chinese students learning, to go back home and fly airlines.. their studies show they'll need like 20k or some such number of new pilots each year for the foreseeable future. This has doubled the price of the 172, which in turn jacked 182s, once 172 prices started passing the 182s, as well as nobody could buy a 172 before a flight school got it, the 182 demand went up. Plus, just the economy, they have gone up, just like boats and swimming pools. The cool taildraggers like Cubs and Huskys have jumped. For a 65 mile commute, you don't need much of a plane, of course, the dream of weekend getaways is still there, making a cool plane attractive. I'd talk to others, besides your instructor for ideas. Seems like Piper low wing planes haven't gone up in price as much, as in the Cherokee & maybe Comanche. Heck, a Tri Pacer would serve you well, it's comparable to the 172 in performance, for 60% of the price. Rockwell made a couple models comparable to the 172/182 that are good planes, just not "popular", so price is lower. The Lancair is a slick tiny plane, hauls ass, but not the plane for short commute & pleasure flights around the area sightseeing. If you find a plane, make sure the A&I mechanic at your home field likes them and will do the maintenance, no fun to have to fly somewhere else and get a ride home to have service work done. CONGRATS for getting back into it, and best of luck in your search.

rrrr

Reaction score
The piper Aztec I posted.

The Aztruck has a useful load that would haul a junior hockey team if they could all cram into it. The fuel injected D models have useful loads between 2,000 and 2,200 lbs. While it's challenging to find examples in pristine condition and those command a premium, it's a good honest aircraft for those who want a twin that'll carry everything and everybody.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
The Aztruck has a useful load that would haul a junior hockey team if they could all cram into it. The fuel injected D models have useful loads between 2,000 and 2,200 lbs. While it's challenging to find examples in pristine condition and those command a premium, it's a good honest aircraft for those who want a twin that'll carry everything and everybody.

Exactly, this is probably the finest one in service anywhere currently.

HitIt

Reaction score
Plane for sale, needs paint and seats need to be cleaned:

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
There is a king air in havasu that is lightly used coming for sale soon. I’m sure you can get it cheap

Cobalt232

Reaction score
How about a new Luscombe if you want to get a taildragger.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score

Check out 160knots.com, some great info.
Tell 'em RDP sent ya

Last edited:

stevel

Reaction score
Hello, I would look at the Cherokee 180. the early ones are a great two person aircraft and have more useful load than a c172 of the same vintage. I flew mine for over 400 hours and it was cheap to fly ( in plane costs) It is easy to over purchase and have regrets because the cost gets so high. We flew from Torrance to Parker in two hours my neighbor at the river had a c210 he was about 40 minutes faster than me on that trip but at over 4 times the cost. Also a Cherokee 235 is a great airplane. I found most nervous flyers like low wing airplanes better not sure why my wife felt more comfortable in a low

SnoC653

Reaction score
I would look for something that is IFR rated and get rated to fly IFR before you start planning on commuting by plane. Get there-itis is a killer and sooner or later it will rear it's ugly head. Make sure your plane is ready to go IFR and if things start getting sketchy, call it early and go IFR. Commuting by plane on a daily basis is not for the inexperienced. Getting sucked into bad weather flying (Scud running) is a when not a if, if your transportation home and to work is you plane.

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
Step 1....... This isn’t as easy as it was in my teens. View attachment 1015062

Kinda like a "vaccine card" anybody can print one.. next time dont print it with the heading UPSIDE DOWN!!🤣🤣

Apparently there is an "asshole for every seat"😜

Ohh.. and they circled the wrong pronoun🤔

CONGRATULATIONS BUD!!!

Last edited:

hallettheck

Reaction score
I can't believe that no ones has mentioned the "Three F's"

DUNEFLYER

The original DUNEFLYER of RDP 😁
Reaction score
Renting planes can be a bit scary, you never know what kind of unreported damage the guy before you might have caused. Getting started, renting was unavoidable but it is soo much less stressful when you own and you are the only one that flys the plane.
Congrats on following thru and working your way to getting a license to fly.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Do the costs of this endeavor bear themselves out? I mean, will you be working extra just to pay for getting to work? It would kinda defeat the purpose?

530RL

Reaction score
Do the costs of this endeavor bear themselves out? I mean, will you be working extra just to pay for getting to work? It would kinda defeat the purpose?

Think of it like boating......but a lot more expensive.... :oops:

racektm

Reaction score
More importantly, he'll be building hours.

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score

Yes, and no. I am a salary employee so it doesn't matter how much I do or don't work. But it should be noted that the company will pay for all fuel burned for work commute, or travel to places where I am looking at jobs.

Here is my logic- It will save me a minimum of 1.5 hours each day (its closer to 2 in reality). If I fly 3 days a week, that is 18 hours of additional time to do ANYTHING other than sit in fkn traffic each month. Over the course of a year the number becomes staggering (216hrs) how much time is being spent not working, boating, spending time with family, drinking, fucking, etc!

That is ONLY taking into consideration my use for work. In my eyes this situation alone makes it worth it. Now lets factor in a trip to our place in Sunriver Oregon, that currently takes 4.5hrs to drive each way. That is a 77 minute flight with the family. To me that equates to more quality time enjoying things together, and less time sitting in the car. This scenario frees up almost 6.5 hours each trip. We typically do it twice a month, which about 1/2 or 2/3 of those trips could be done via the air.

I view this a time saving tool. Will it ever pencil financially, FUCK NO. But there are few things in life we can get back, and time isn't one of them.

DUNEFLYER

The original DUNEFLYER of RDP 😁
Reaction score
Eat breakfast at home with family, fly to havi and boat for the day, fly back home in time for grandkids bday dinner= priceless

Reactions: DWC

Cobalt232

Reaction score
Yes, and no. I am a salary employee so it doesn't matter how much I do or don't work. But it should be noted that the company will pay for all fuel burned for work commute, or travel to places where I am looking at jobs.

Here is my logic- It will save me a minimum of 1.5 hours each day (its closer to 2 in reality). If I fly 3 days a week, that is 18 hours of additional time to do ANYTHING other than sit in fkn traffic each month. Over the course of a year the number becomes staggering (216hrs) how much time is being spent not working, boating, spending time with family, drinking, fucking, etc!

That is ONLY taking into consideration my use for work. In my eyes this situation alone makes it worth it. Now lets factor in a trip to our place in Sunriver Oregon, that currently takes 4.5hrs to drive each way. That is a 77 minute flight with the family. To me that equates to more quality time enjoying things together, and less time sitting in the car. This scenario frees up almost 6.5 hours each trip. We typically do it twice a month, which about 1/2 or 2/3 of those trips could be done via the air.

I view this a time saving tool. Will it ever pencil financially, FUCK NO. But there are few things in life we can get back, and time isn't one of them.
Sunriver, OR, flying up with the family? Now I'm thinking an SR22TN with FIKI and AC. And your company needs to pay more than fuel if you are going to job sites.

LuauLounge

Reaction score
Fuel will be the least cost line item of owning the plane you are looking at.