WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Auctions for buying cars, etc...

Hallett_Whacker

Reaction score
Anyone here have experience with buying a cheapo car from a repo auction, police auction, etc...?

Boat, rv, atv, sxs? Obviously I'm not talking collector auctions (Mecum). I'm asking because I'm looking to buy a daily beater. Thanks in advance.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
I bought a RX-7 from an insurance auction many years ago. The car was a theft recovery and was missing the engine, trans, seats and wheels. Took the car to a buddies repair shop and let them fix it.

I dont think would ever buy a theft recovery again.

Hallett_Whacker

Reaction score
I bought a RX-7 from an insurance auction many years ago. The car was a theft recovery and was missing the engine, trans, seats and wheels. Took the car to a buddies repair shop and let them fix it.

I dont think would ever buy a theft recovery again.

Agree, I wouldn't do the insurance auction where you come out with a salvage title either. I was thinking more along the lines of crankyape (but I can't be in MN to look at their cars) or police auctions.

PaPaG

Reaction score
I have many friends in the auto industry that bought vehicles from auctions, a few from Law Enforcement agency/state auctions and they were typically beaters and been through the ringer, Some seized vehicles and boats were actually in amazing condition because they got them from narcotics dealers or tax cheats before they thrashed them so it's a crap shoot. You can even go online and find dealers that will take you to dealer auctions and you can get yourself a good vehicle for a great price and only pay from 100-250 to the dealer taking you there to do the transaction. Can't hurt to try if you are looking for a low cost vehicle. jmo

Hallett_Whacker

Reaction score
Craigslist

I've done an rv, atv, 5 dirtbikes through CL, and 6 of the 7 purchases were great, one was ok. It's obviously a great option as well, but I was trying to think a little more outside the box.

Crankyape piqued my interest, at least seeing what some of the stuff sold for.

Reaction score
Anyone here have experience with buying a cheapo car from a repo auction, police auction, etc...?

Boat, rv, atv, sxs? Obviously I'm not talking collector auctions (Mecum). I'm asking because I'm looking to buy a daily beater. Thanks in advance.

I've been to a dealers auction many years ago. Those deals were unbelievable, but they don't sell to the general public.

RDP has a few sales guys, and I'm sure they could hook you up with trade-in's.

CJ_Donahue

Reaction score
I have honestly had good luck on eBay. I set a range of miles I am willing to drive and bid at parts value. I then visit and pay in person so if it is not as advertised I back out. Haven't made a killing but had a ton of fun with the vehicles and always broken even or put money in my pocket.

infield

Reaction score
Purple Wave has an impound specific auction about every six weeks but are usually midwest stuff usually Wichita.
fun to look at though.