WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Audi Owners

Hypnautic

Reaction score
Looking for some real world perspective on Audi ownership. What year and model and how has the car held up? Anything that is now come loose or started to rattle? Minor or major repairs? Reliability?
Interested to know across all models as I am considering an A4 Quattro (Premier+ or Prestige) for my Daughter and maybe either an A 5,6,7 or 8 for myself.
Thanks!

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
‘09 Q7. 125K TDI. Diesel buyback w/4yr 40k warranty includes exhaust and engine. Car is still amazing. No rattles and not a drop of oil leaking. Had a couple DEF pump issues in which the dealer gave us a loaner for every issue it’s been in for. We’ve had amazing service from 2 dealers on an 11 year old car. This car is as solid as a rock. Handles excellent for its size. My wife will be getting into a newer q7 next year. We are both ver happy with it.

elco

Reaction score
Had a 2012 A4 quattro. Purchased as a cpo with 20k miles. At 50k miles I had to replace water pump and wheel bearings. Closer to 60k miles i was adding a quart of oil every 500 miles with repair costs being 8-18k depending on if it was only rings or a new engine. Unfortunately for me my vin was outside of the class action settlement for the same exact issue. Up until that point it was very low maintenance outside of all the recommended service intervals. Car handled great, was quiet, and the quattro was impressive when driving in snow. loved the car until it started having issues and wouldn't own one again outside of the warranty period.

Fun Times

Moderated
Reaction score
Recently had an 2017 A4 (new design changes then) for a few months and it was a nice, fun car overall to drive.

Downsides though that seem workable, the seats seemed hard/tough as a sporty hold you in place feeling.

Also I'd say for extra safety reasons for the daughter, stay with getting the Quattro as mine wasn't one and even at only 197 HP (non Quattro) turbo charged that uses 91 premium gas ;), The car tends to want to pull to one side during shifting as you accelerate up hard from a stop...I don't believe the Quattro would do that but not 100% sure...I found it fun but the wife didn't.:)

Good luck with your searches.

C08H18

Reaction score
2015 S5 Loved the car. On New Year’s Day a few yrs back drove from south Seattle to East Bay Area in 7.5 hrs averages 101mph on the trip computer. Totally comfortable at all speeds!!! The AWD was amazing in the snow and ice. BUT, I was concern with reliability and offed it at 60K miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

riverroyal

Reaction score
Look at BMW...youll get it after a few test drives
Meaning you will purchase the BMW

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
Wife has a 2014 Q7 TDI quattro premium plus. 57,xxx miles.
Harmonic balancer replaced at 52,000. The rubber tore apart. Replaced under warranty.

She loves it, will end up with a newer one when (or if) this one wears out.

IMG_8722.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
My dad had an S4 and an S6 over the years. Both were a blast to drive. The S4 leaked oil like a siv. The S6 was quite a bit more reliable. Did I mention they were fun to drive? The smaller engines seem a little anemic. Only drive an S or RS if you can afford it the other models are just fancy Volkswagens.

LuauLounge

Reaction score
Have a 09 Q7 that I bought in 2010. 120k, 2 sets of brakes. Getting ready to sell it. Mechanically it’s been fine, but out of warranty is risky.

KevinR

Reaction score
My dad had an S4 and an S6 over the years. Both were a blast to drive. The S4 leaked oil like a siv. The S6 was quite a bit more reliable. Did I mention they were fun to drive? The smaller engines seem a little anemic. Only drive an S or RS if you can afford it the other models are just fancy Volkswagens.

Did the S4 leak oil or burn oil?
Our 2011 A4 wagon burns through oil. I’m told it’s normal......

bk2drvr

Reaction score
Stay away from years 2009-2012 on the 2.0 TFSI motor. This is the B8 platform and they had several issues. The B8.5 and above are okay. Great cars. I bought my daughter an A4 and she loves it. They feel planted and solid on the road.

elco

Reaction score
Did the S4 leak oil or burn oil?
Our 2011 A4 wagon burns through oil. I’m told it’s normal......
Have the dealer do a oil consumption test. 2011 2.0 TFSI had piston rng issues that should be under extended warranty for certain engine codes.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
Other than maybe a Range Rover , nothing depreciates faster than an Audi ...

termiteguy

Reaction score
I have a a4 my mechanic has it in his shop as I type this. I don't think I will ever by another one I'm over German cars

KevinR

Reaction score
Have the dealer do a oil consumption test. 2011 2.0 TFSI had piston rng issues that should be under extended warranty for certain engine codes.

thanks elco!

bk2drvr

Reaction score

Repeat....do not buy any 2009-2012 Audi with the 2.0 TFSI motor.

DLC

Reaction score
Wife has a 2018 TTRS took 6 months to get and it’s been to more countries than I have! All RS cars are made in Europe and come over on a auto transport ship and stop at different ports along the way to California

she loves it, hauls ass, great brakes! Now, they squeaked for a little bit but got that fixed. She really enjoys the drive!

i have yet to drive it. Haven’t had any other issues other than the brakes and a flat tire. still talk to the sales guy he was Fantastic! Very knowledgeable and a pleasure to deal with

over all good experience, but the service guy sucks balls! he kinda talks down to my wife when she calls for an appointmen. I think he drives a Kia... but acts like a know it all race car driver

Hypnautic

Reaction score
Look at BMW...youll get it after a few test drives
Meaning you will purchase the BMW

We test drove a 328 and does not have enough power. Then a ‘15 or ‘16 535 with the M Sport package and although very nice with finishes and drive-not impressed as it was missing a lot of updated features found in newer cars.

Hypnautic

Reaction score

Would definitely lean towards an S if it was for me, but this is Daughters first car.

Hypnautic

Reaction score
Stay away from years 2009-2012 on the 2.0 TFSI motor. This is the B8 platform and they had several issues. The B8.5 and above are okay. Great cars. I bought my daughter an A4 and she loves it. They feel planted and solid on the road.

Yes, we would be looking at B9 -2017 and newer

Hypnautic

Reaction score
Other than maybe a Range Rover , nothing depreciates faster than an Audi ...

Uhh, I usually own Jag’s, they don’t hold values either. Guess it’s a British thing. Should just buy her a diesel 4x4 if I want it to hold value.

RP1

Reaction score
My Wife has a 2019 Q7 Prestige package and really likes it.

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
Yes, we would be looking at B9 -2017 and newer
I wouldn’t hesitate for one second to put my family in that platform. Seats are firm but manageable. Nice tech package and are very solid cars.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Audi, BMW, Mercedes - all awesome vehicles, must own under a warranty or you are rolling the dice BIG TIME. It is what it is, gotta pay to play, at least with the warranty you know how long you get to own the car and the cost upfront. It can get real dicey as it ages

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
2008 A4 Quatro Avant S Line. It was a really nice car, very solid and a pleasure to drive. Did an APR tune on it and it was quite fast. Amazing build quality and 100 MPH felt like 40MPH.

At 120K miles things started to go bad. Audi uses a ton of plastic crap on their engines and it all starts to deteriorate as it ages. I replaced all kinds of stuff on it. Kind of a pain as I'd replace something then a couple weeks later something else would go out. Got sick of dealing with it so sold the car. They also are known for high oil consumption.

If you have plenty of money they are a great car to buy new and then dump after a couple years before they rack up miles.

boatpi

Reaction score
My 2017 range rover sport diesel has been almost flawless it’s just hit 30,000 miles. I had a bad DEF sensor that was replaced with a software update still getting 30+ miles a gallon for the most part.

just to prove a point I did one round-trip run on a tank from Las Vegas to Huntington Beach a couple of months ago still had some extra fuel.

Beerme

Retired...Time for a cold one!
Reaction score
Wife has a 2018 SQ5 and absolutely loves it. No mechanical issues at all other than a couple of warranty recalls. She has only put about 12k miles on it in 2 years. We leased it and are looking at trading it in next year for another. The only thing that bugs me in it is the autostop alert system. I've been backing in parking lots and if someone is walking in the area that thing brakes like a mo-fo and makes some weird noises. Always scares the shit out of me.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
A guy who worked for me on the Lexus business, used to work on the Audi brochure business.

The stories - and there were many - he told of cars that came from the factory built incorrectly were crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
I just need to share....... a good friend is a mechanic. He and his Dad owned a euro only shop for over 30 years. He statEd he would never own an Audi. so I asked why? His answer was, they were the cheapest built of all German cars. Far below Mercedes as well as BMW. said the build the car entirely on how quickly it can be assembled, and basically give almost no thought on servicing it after sale. I found this to be very true. Things that would be so easy to service on other brands are very difficult on the Audi. Which intern make service very expensive. He calls them disposable cars as well as VW. Get a Merc or BMW

Cobalt232

Reaction score
I have a 2016 S4. Great car with the DSG transmission and supercharger. I bought it when it was 2 years old with 10k at a dealer in Beaverton. Have about 35k on it now and only issue has been the water pump.

My dad has a new Q8 and it is great as well. It's a bit high tech for him as he is 84 though. It did need a new rear end at 2k as it was leaking. Otherwise good.

I previously had an A3 which was OK, but not as well built as the S4 or the Q8.

One thing that I have noticed though is that the AC on Audis don't get as cold as an American car. I had a MBZ ML320 that the AC was not too good either.

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
Looking for some real world perspective on Audi ownership. What year and model and how has the car held up? Anything that is now come loose or started to rattle? Minor or major repairs? Reliability?
Interested to know across all models as I am considering an A4 Quattro (Premier+ or Prestige) for my Daughter and maybe either an A 5,6,7 or 8 for myself.
Thanks!

Last year we bought our daughter a 2016 CPO A5 Quattro with 12K miles for 22K. Being a CPO, it came with a three year bumper to bumper warranty. We wanted a really safe car for our daughter and she couldn't be happier. The car has been flawless and my daughter has been driving the piss out of it. We couldn't be happier with our choice and will definitely consider another one for our youngest daughter when the time comes. The car is stylish, sporty, safe and reliable. Hell it was cheaper than buying our daughter a Honda or Toyota.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
I'm not a huge Audi fan but they are decent. I also can't give you much about how reliable it was as I have rarely kept a car longer than a year or so. I may have sold this with less than 10k on the odometer.

I built this little guy as a daily for my wife around 2009. 2008 with front wheel drive and a 6speed manual. 19" BBS Euro only RS6 wheels, Stasis software 2.0 tune, H&R street coilovers, euro blacked out corner markers etc. It was a cool little car.

3158411028_7460914847.jpg

DSC00563.JPG

One2go

Reaction score
Leased a 2017 q5 ,1000 miles or so thing died while wife was on freeway.Took dealership (Penske West Covina)service guy was super cool. Said Cam went flat,wanted to replace and give it back,HELL NO,he said to call VW of America and bitch and tell them "your aware that they have a problem with the cam "they will "hook you up". Said the 2.0 motors are having lots of these problems happening. Did that and they offered me another new Q5 with same motor. Wouldn't accept that so they found a S series with the 6 cylinder turbo.They stood behind the deal so that was cool,no need for lawyer.Just turned it in was ,had couple things that thankfully were done by warranty

Times Like These

Reaction score
2017 A6 Supercharged 3.0 Quattro. 26k miles. Good car but about to get rid of it, Audi will do everything to get out of
paying a warranty claim. 2 years left on warranty and I’m done with it, eff Audi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro