WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Audio question

Ultra912

Reaction score
My audio system on my new boat is quite a bit more complex than in my last boat. It has 2 large amps and two large batteries designated solely for the stereo system. It also appears to have a shutoff/gfi, or whatever you call em, just for the battery amps. Question: Wouldn't all the batteries be inline so they all would be charged by the motor alternator simultaneously? He told me he used two different trickle chargers, one for the boat battery and one for the audio system batteries. Is this necessary? I wouldn't think so if they're all inter connected/inline with each other.
Next: It has an Interstate charging device already mounted in the engine compartment but when plugged in it only shows a red light and the charger says that if the yellow or green light are not on that the battery is less than 3 amps and requires a full charge prior to using but the battery seems to be sufficiently charged as it turns on the boat. The device I'm referring to as a shutoff/gfi is the one that shuts everything off when the button is depressed and the little tab pops up. BTW, what is the proper name for that thing?

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
The first thing I would figure out is if the stereo batteries are isolated or not. They may not be connected to the alternator and may require a nightly charge after use. Who did the install?

Ultra912

Reaction score
Bought the boat already set up.
It’s a Rockford system.
Charging it every night after using would seem kind of stupid
The first thing I would figure out is if the stereo batteries are isolated or not. They may not be connected to the alternator and may require a nightly charge after use. Who did the install?
They can’t be isolated because the cables are interlinked
That’s why I’m not sure why separate chargers are needed

NicPaus

Reaction score
If separate chargers most likely isolated. I know a few that have to charge nightly for stereo. No alternator can handle the amount of batteries they have.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
It is called a breaker
DC0F2A21-6522-42FB-A946-5B261870C417.jpeg

Without seeing the whole setup it’s hard to say, but the prior owner either installed or had installed the stereo i assume, that being said i would simply do it the way he stated until you have someone qualified look it over and tell you different.
It is not a bad idea however to shut off the breaker as well the perko switch and then charge each battery individually. Once they are all at a good full charge then you can go back to plugging in the trickle chargers!

TwoToes

Reaction score
On my boat i have 3 batteries, two of theme are interstate group 29 parallel together wired to number two on my perko switch. The other one is a Stinger 2150 wired to number one on the perko switch. I do have a inline breaker as well going to my amps which is 4 gauge wire. I also have a 2 bank power mania smart charger that is 12 amps that i can plug in over night or leave plugged in for a month at a time when in storage.