WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Auto insurance ... what companies don’t suck?

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Dealing with my truck that stolen and recovered an hour later Friday morning with the cats cut off, lock cylinders punched out, and bumper/minor bedside damage.

I made the claim on Friday, furnished a bit more requested info Monday morning at 7:00, and haven’t heard shit. No calls have been returned, and now my adjuster and his supervisor are evidently out until Monday for the holiday weekend. This is bullshit. My agent won’t even pick up the phone or call me back.

I’ve just ordered $4K worth of parts and am skipping work today to pick up enough shit at local dealers to at least repair the locks/ignition so I can at least lock the doors.

I should get better service than this for what I’m paying them.

Who has had good experiences with claims, and with what company?

JD D05

Reaction score
Nationwide. But it does have a lot to do with how good and aggressive your agent is. Underwriters and claims adjusters are just like us...the agents with good business that treat them good get shit done.

musicFunsun

I Love BoBo!!!
Reaction score
I have 21st & no problems with the one claim I was at fault. I was rear ended & the at fault driver had Wawanesa. First time I’d heard of them. They were great, almost considered changing to them but never did.

Last edited:

boatpi

Reaction score
Insurance companies are not a quick turnaround especially under this pandemic. Remember you made a claim that doesn’t mean they’re going to pay for it and I’m not questioning the authenticity of your claim but that’s exactly what it is. I’ve been on the outside gun for hire SIU side for 20 years.

i’ve done some pretty pricey claims the most expensive one for $400,000

at least for the companies I work for once they investigate it and they determine it’s a legitimate claim and it fits the coverage, they have no problem writing a check. I’ve seen checks written up to $1 million.

Under the state of California insurance code they have up to 30 days to pay any non-disputed claim as long as it’s not an active investigation for possible fraud and things of that sort.

so the short answer is have a little patience things don’t happen instantly in the insurance business some carriers are better than others but no one would pay a claim like that in two or three days.

Reaction score
I backed into one of my vehicles with another one of my vehicles, nice dent in the quarter panel. was honest with farmers told them how it happened. guess what they said they wouldn't pay. I dented my own car they replied. next time I will lie and say it happened in the home depot parking lot....

grumpy88

Reaction score
I backed into one of my vehicles with another one of my vehicles, nice dent in the quarter panel. was honest with farmers told them how it happened. guess what they said they wouldn't pay. I dented my own car they replied. next time I will lie and say it happened in the home depot parking lot....

Lol . I did that too ! I was with mercury and they paid it

RichL

Reaction score
Nationwide has always treated us fair in the 40+ years we've been with them.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Got a call back from some woman...total estimate created by their adjuster came in a $3700 fo fix it...she asked me if I’d like a check or direct deposit...lol. I know better than that. So I asked to see it. Both cat part numbers have been been discontinued by GM, and one is for a different vehicle. I feel bad for folks who blindly accept this shit and don’t know any better. The cats themselves, just parts, are over $4200...for correct ones that might still be available.

Might be time to change my name to Pancho Gutierrez, sell him the truck for $1, straight pipe the bitch and cancel my insurance. CA seems to support that.

Last edited:

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Lol . I did that too ! I was with mercury and they paid it

Its covered under collision.

Basically if you crash your own car into your own car you have to pay the collision deductible twice...I don't want you to think Mercury would have been different.

All companies would cover it and none of them would let you claim property damage from your own account.

All companies have good/dealings with c;laims. Its a shit job with heavy turn over and 2-3 days to expect pay out in this economy and around the holidays just isn't going to happen. Things take time and I don't know alot of body shops or outside adjusters that are super excited to work out in public because of covid. Staff is extremely limited. There is a processes that takes longer than what the commercials portray.

If you need to fix the vehicle make sure you put the charges on a cc and get good receipts. I'm guessing they will reimburse you for everything - labor and the comp deductible.

petie6464

Reaction score
Knowing your agent I've found is best. Bottom line, jerk me around and my cousin will burn your house down.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Knowing your agent I've found is best. Bottom line, jerk me around and my cousin will burn your house down.

I won’t call out my agent quite yet...as most here have heard of him. This isn’t his baby.

propcheck

Reaction score
I have had very good service on two claims through Wawanesa. Not at fault on either and the basically said go grab a rental that is comparable and we will handle it.
Now repair shop folks🤦🏼‍♂️ Whole different story

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
I have had very good service on two claims through Wawanesa. Not at fault on either and the basically said go grab a rental that is comparable and we will handle it.
Now repair shop folks🤦🏼‍♂️ Whole different story

wawanesa is great if you have an impecable driving record and never plan to use it. they're a small shop in san diego and take ages to actually get the ball rolling on anything. my wife had them and we took a bbq grate into the front bumper of her mini cooper. what a nightmare. like pat mentioned above, any company where you have an "agent" assigned to you, its garbage. they're never around when you need them and they honestly could care less unless they're making a sale/new customer. they'll practically known down your door to sign a new contract but when you need a claim filed and much less paid, good luck.

4Waters

Reaction score
I've never had an issue with Mercury and I have dealt with them when I worked as an estimator in the body shop business and when I was hit by someone and their insurance company was dragging their feet so my ins fixed my car and collected from the other ins company. Mercury is big on putting OEM parts back on cars, they will do used OEM before they do new aftermarket, I've had AAA put aftermarket on a 1yo car that the customer was still making payments on they said we are not putting used on this new of a car, it fit like shit too, F that nothing like the fit of OEM.

Starloans

Reaction score
Consumer Reports says Amica and USAA are top rated. I have USAA (prior military). I had Amica before and they were fine. No claims. Both companies are very competitive price wise here in Nevada.

The other thing is prior claims and your zip code/state are going to drive pricing. Some companies will be better priced in your zip than others. Shopping is key to price (I'm a cheap bastard) and you balance that with reputation of the company to get insured.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
we have AAA. They really are easy to work with. As a veteran I wish I could use USAA, unfortunately, they do not cover vehicles over a certain value, same with motor coaches, and forget about them if you live in SOCAL on a canyon or other high risk areas 😔.

DEEZNUTS

Reaction score
I have had claims. AAA earned my business by handling all of them very very well. Always in my best interest. Policy premium is fair.

Have the home through them, but may have to switch, for some reason it's way higher than competitors.

They have always had my boats except the daytona. I got a polite hell no we wont write that.

traquer

Reaction score
State Farm and AAA pay for OEM parts no questions asked. That to me is a great sign. Currently have state farm.

I called Geico once and the lady on the phone was all excited that she was going to save me $25 a month on my car. I asked what the coverage was and she was hesitant. I asked again, and she said "It's excellent coverage sir." LOL Bare bones 15k coverage. When I told them to match my existing policy, it was more. Go figure. Bunch of marketing bullshit and fancy commercials, can't take those idiots seriously ever again.

Ballyhoo

Reaction score
Been with State Farm for 30 plus years. We have had two major claims, one involved a car accident where we were at fault and getting sued. State Farm handled both claims with zero issues.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
I have had AAA (both auto/renters and the roadside) for 32 years, through several claims, never had anything but easy street.

You pay through the nose for it, but they do their job when it's time to as far as my experience has been with them.

Riverbottom

Reaction score
State Farm and AAA are the good ones and only ones left using OEM parts. USAA is the worst by far, and many shops simply won't work with them.

boatpi

Reaction score
Had Mercury for 20 years, no issues. I have American Modern with $$$ cars, no claims.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
Dealing with my truck that stolen and recovered an hour later Friday morning with the cats cut off, lock cylinders punched out, and bumper/minor bedside damage.

I made the claim on Friday, furnished a bit more requested info Monday morning at 7:00, and haven’t heard shit. No calls have been returned, and now my adjuster and his supervisor are evidently out until Monday for the holiday weekend. This is bullshit. My agent won’t even pick up the phone or call me back.

I’ve just ordered $4K worth of parts and am skipping work today to pick up enough shit at local dealers to at least repair the locks/ignition so I can at least lock the doors.

I should get better service than this for what I’m paying them.

Who has had good experiences with claims, and with what company?
...It depends on who you are insured with....but if it is Farmers or one of the companies they own...I would suggest that you bypass your claims agent ...bypass her supervisor and get the name of their manager... that’s who you want to talk to ...the claims agent is paid to lowball you ...if they start screwing you around tell the manager you may have to file a lack of faith lawsuit ...it gets their attention...
...Who are you insured with???...

propcheck

Reaction score
Sorry to hear you had bad luck with them I was only reporting my experience with them.
wawanesa is great if you have an impecable driving record and never plan to use it. they're a small shop in san diego and take ages to actually get the ball rolling on anything. my wife had them and we took a bbq grate into the front bumper of her mini cooper. what a nightmare. like pat mentioned above, any company where you have an "agent" assigned to you, its garbage. they're never around when you need them and they honestly could care less unless they're making a sale/new customer. they'll practically known down your door to sign a new contract but when you need a claim filed and much less paid, good luck.

DEEZNUTS

Reaction score
I may be the single largest hater of chinese auto parts ever. Had one claim where I was not at fault. (My truck was parked when hit.) Other parties insurance wanted to put aftermarket junk on it.

I said no way in hell, and handed it to my ins (AAA.) Insisted on 100% OEM Motorcraft parts new out of the package, even all the hardware. Was prepared to litigate it.

AAA stepped and made sure it happened. All new OEM shit with a big price tag. I believe they had paid the $ difference between chicom trash and OEM to settle the claim.

4Waters

Reaction score
State Farm and AAA pay for OEM parts no questions asked. That to me is a great sign. Currently have state farm.

I called Geico once and the lady on the phone was all excited that she was going to save me $25 a month on my car. I asked what the coverage was and she was hesitant. I asked again, and she said "It's excellent coverage sir." LOL Bare bones 15k coverage. When I told them to match my existing policy, it was more. Go figure. Bunch of marketing bullshit and fancy commercials, can't take those idiots seriously ever again.

State Farm and AAA are the good ones and only ones left using OEM parts. USAA is the worst by far, and many shops simply won't work with them.

AAA and State Farm were the absolute worst for using aftermarket parts, maybe they got sued and stopped that BS. My buddy works for Mercury pretty high up in the claims side and they still push OEM.

See post 21, however my time in the body shops was 20+ years ago, at that time SF was the worst to deal all around and I would say Mercury, USAA and AAA (even though AAA liked AM parts) were easy to deal with with payments supplements return calls.....

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Next question...any attorney recommendations to go after these dickheads? I’d call Lin Wood...but he’s got his hands full right now

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
2 cars, 2 SUVs, 1 truck, 1 toyhauler all with AAA. Couldn't be happier with how my claims have been handled. Plus I have gotten 3 different refunds from them because of Covid keeping us at home more. My last accident my rep was calling me nearly daily with updates. Gave me his supervisor's number the first conversation. I shop the price every few years but nobody can touch them.
2 houses with State Farm because the agent has been great to work with too.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Have had USAA for over 30 yrs. not many claims but when we have had Uninsured person hit the wife’s car. Within a couple days of an estimate had a check. Some on here say if you have deal with Usaa they suck. Might be true. But I have it and am more than pleased with dealing with them. Would recommend them without question

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
Nationwide. But it does have a lot to do with how good and aggressive your agent is. Underwriters and claims adjusters are just like us...the agents with good business that treat them good get shit done.

100% My Father told me from the Get Go, your Insurance is only as Good as your Agent. I find that is NOT an over the NET, but a Face To Face AGENT.

KevinR

Reaction score
USAA for us.
I know you need to be active military, a vet or direct family, so it’s a shame it is not available to all.
But for those of us blessed to qualify they are awesome. Been with them for 40 years.
Excellent rates and never a qualm when it comes to doing the right thing on a claim.
In fact, I received a letter today letting us know we received a $23.10 credit on our next invoice which represented 10% of our August premium. Due to low traffic and accidents during Covid, they are giving credits.

yz450mm

Reaction score
About five years ago, I moved everything to State Farm, including starting my and my daughter's life insurance policies. I know my agent very well, have his cell number, and know where he lives, about five minutes from me. He's also a fellow boater, normally does Mojave, and sometimes Laughlin.

Excellent service, whether I reach him by his cell phone or calling the office girls. Also gives great financial advice, and backs it up with giving examples from his own policies. If you're in the high desert, or anywhere else in California, I'd highly recommend. PM for details.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

JD D05

Reaction score
100% My Father told me from the Get Go, your Insurance is only as Good as your Agent. I find that is NOT an over the NET, but a Face To Face AGENT.

Ya that's pretty accurate. Tough part being in insurance is selling on service when people put so much into price.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
That’s who I’m dealing with now...less than impressed.
... I didn’t see this when I made my prior post ...Farmers is exactly who I was referring to.., ...I just had a major dealing with them ...the best thing you can do is be nice to your claims rep ..,but believe me minimize your dealings with the claims rep and their supervisor ...speak with their manager in all details that are important....you can actually call Claims tonight at Farmers and ask them who Your claims adjusters manager is...
... Believe me with Farmers the claims rep might actually attempt to do things that are illegal and also will may attempt to get you to commit perjury...depending on the situation ...... for advice on all of this call the California Department of insurance they will steer you straight and they will get involved if you are truly getting screwed over..,

AZmike

Eastsider
Reaction score
I had state farm for years never had any issues. My old lady got into insurance 10 years ago with Farm Bureau as an agent and they've been excellent every time we've needed them.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Its covered under collision.

Basically if you crash your own car into your own car you have to pay the collision deductible twice...I don't want you to think Mercury would have been different.

All companies would cover it and none of them would let you claim property damage from your own account.

All companies have good/dealings with c;laims. Its a shit job with heavy turn over and 2-3 days to expect pay out in this economy and around the holidays just isn't going to happen. Things take time and I don't know alot of body shops or outside adjusters that are super excited to work out in public because of covid. Staff is extremely limited. There is a processes that takes longer than what the commercials portray.

If you need to fix the vehicle make sure you put the charges on a cc and get good receipts. I'm guessing they will reimburse you for everything - labor and the comp deductible.

I don't give a shit about the payout...that can wait as long as it needs to. I give a shit about someone picking up the damn phone to discuss what to do.

hallett21

Reaction score
Given that it’s thanksgiving I’m thinking you don’t have answers until Monday.

PaPaG

Reaction score
Farmers for our properties and ESurance for our cars for about 20 years each so far and nothing but great to deal with......Progressive was useless and we will never use them again.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Given that it’s thanksgiving I’m thinking you don’t have answers until Monday.

...which is why I was trying to get some discussion started Monday or Tuesday so I had an idea in what direction this was gonna go. They failed in that respect.

Not a problem...I am handling the repairs and will deal with them at my convenience on the settlement. Then drop them and go somewhere else.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
... another heads up about Farmers...Farmers owns Foremost..: farmers also owns 21st century... if perhaps you were actually insured with 21st-century you may get emails for ever requesting that you open up the email and sign documents pertaining to your claim .... if this happens to you I wouldn’t do it ... in my case I requested payment be made by check in the mail...
... my claims were settled a few weeks ago... I’m still getting these emails from 21st-century after receiving checks in the mail from Farmers???...
... After being tormented by 21st-century/Farmers for a couple of months...And saw how they attempt to do things ...I don’t think I would ever Insure with farmers...

cjbuilder1

Reaction score
Picked up USAA in 1969 with my comission as 2LT and never looked back. Not the cheapest but excellent response when required. Get two estimates, pick the one you want and check's in the mail.