WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Automatic Watch Service - Where to go?

C-2

Reaction score
I've never owned an automatic before and recently I acquired a nice Raymond Weil. It's a great looking watch, but an automatic. I own two other RW's, but not an auto. I know it's an older model (Parsifal), and I'm guessing it has never been serviced.

I see the online services but most are out of state and that worries me since small claims would not be available if something bad happens.

Preferably I am looking for someplace in SoCal, or at least in Cali.

I'm also worried a service/company will take the watch but do nothing other than clean it up. Thus, I am also looking for a decent warranty in case the watch stops keeping good time.

Where do you guys send them, or take them to?

spectras only

Reaction score
You could check if there's a Rolex dealer where you live, they could give you referral where to take it for service. If the watch wasn't worn for long time, all it needs is cleaning and re-oil [moebius oil ] the mechanism. Auto watches should be worn on wrists, not just keeping them in their boxes like many do.;)

http://www.ofrei.com/page951.html

Last edited:

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
Swiss Watch Connection in Dana Point.....they do repair on site. If you need Rolex Repair I can also recommend an authorized servicer in Mission Viejo.

Good Luck

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
You can have it serviced in Los Angeles here: http://www.westcoastwatch.com/brands/raymond-weil/

I've got a Raymond Weil Parsifal like this

41MwJi05U%2BL.jpg

Reactions: C-2

nowski

Reaction score
Who is Raymond Weil???

I have one of these Bad Boy Arnie Seiko's. It's been taking a licking and keeps on tickin since 1983...

Seiko Arnie.jpg

C-2

Reaction score
You can have it serviced in Los Angeles here: http://www.westcoastwatch.com/brands/raymond-weil/

I've got a Raymond Weil Parsifal like this

41MwJi05U%2BL.jpg

I have that one too, the watch has been flawless for the past 20 years!

I've never seen another Parsifal like this one, which is why I bought it. I restored the alligator band, but I'm not sure if it keeps time accurately, and thus needs to be serviced. I know the Parsifal line is from the early 90's.

Thanks for the referral, I sent West Coast an inquiry. :)

Others watch shops average $300-$400. I thought asking on here for trusted companies would also be a good idea. I'm worried since the line is discontinued that it could be fubar. Then I would be into the watch about $700-$800 on a piece that retailed for $1600 20 years ago. I know that's a common problem with lower end autos; service exceeds the value of the watch. The RW's don't hold their value, but they are still a nice watch.

rw.jpg

Xring01

Reaction score
check out Jewelry Castle or something to that effect in Temecula.

There guys did my Breitlings on site, didnt even have to send them out, which I appreciated.

He did a great job... quick turn around, and no issues.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Get the watch tracker app, by Tom Kerrigan.
It’s only $5, and makes timing your watches super easy.

If your watch is keeping good time, enjoy it.

If it’s not keeping good time, then service it.

$300-400 is gonna be a good rate for a standard service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Another option for you in On Time in Newport. It is just of of PCH and Riverside. Almost across the street from Billy’s in the Harbor. Two brothers own it. Their staff does everything there. Reasonable pricing. I have been going there for 15 years.

sirbob

Reaction score
I have had a number of brietlings and rolexs serviced over the years - it usually cost closer to 1000 / more like 1200/1400 for the rolex if you send it to rolex factory service.

McKay

Reaction score
I have had a few Rolex watches serviced. Sent them Rolex in Dallas. Most expensive one was $700 as it needed some new parts. Normally it is right around $500. Always come back looking brand new.

pronstar

Reaction score
There’s no way it makes sense to send OP’s Raymond Weil watch to a Rolex service center for service...

spectras only

Reaction score
There’s no way it makes sense to send OP’s Raymond Weil watch to a Rolex service center for service...

Agree, get tweezers, special screwdrivers and you all set to do it yourselves.;):D> http://www.ottofrei.com/jewelry-tools-equipment/bench-tools

To some people who wonders why it's so expensive to service an auto watch [ or collectable watch ] is, because it's required to dismantle the movement, so the shaft bearings [ rubys ] can be accessed to lubricate them. It's not for some blacksmith with banana fingers to do.:p:D:D:D

RP1

Reaction score
I have had a few Rolex watches serviced. Sent them Rolex in Dallas. Most expensive one was $700 as it needed some new parts. Normally it is right around $500. Always come back looking brand new.

This has been my experience also with my Rolex watches.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
I've never owned an automatic before and recently I acquired a nice Raymond Weil. It's a great looking watch, but an automatic. I own two other RW's, but not an auto. I know it's an older model (Parsifal), and I'm guessing it has never been serviced.

I see the online services but most are out of state and that worries me since small claims would not be available if something bad happens.

Preferably I am looking for someplace in SoCal, or at least in Cali.

I'm also worried a service/company will take the watch but do nothing other than clean it up. Thus, I am also looking for a decent warranty in case the watch stops keeping good time.

Where do you guys send them, or take them to?

Give the guys at Feldmar a ring - they work on everything but my JLC's

They have genuine watchmakers on staff.

https://feldmarwatch.com/

UD

sirbob

Reaction score

I guess we get the so cal discount ... retail + 100%

I have never been quoted less than 1000 to send it to the real rolex service center. For what its worth, the one mine have gone to is in west LA.

Last edited:

Ouderkirk

Reaction score
You could check if there's a Rolex dealer where you live, they could give you referral where to take it for service. If the watch wasn't worn for long time, all it needs is cleaning and re-oil [moebius oil ] the mechanism. Auto watches should be worn on wrists, not just keeping them in their boxes like many do.;)

http://www.ofrei.com/page951.html

You are correct, an automatic should be worn everyday.

C-2

Reaction score
Hey thanks for all the input. Feldmar quoted $400 and I'm leaning towards sending it to them, or even dropping by and having them look at it.

Like Pronstar said, it doesn't make sense to spend too much on the watch; it's not a high-end watch. Hopefully, a $400 service will give it another ten years or so of life. My two other RW's have lasted 25 and 27 years with battery changes only.

The input you guys offered is helpful and I appreciate it, thanks again. :)

But I have to ask...why an automatic in the first place? Is it because battery driven watches sucked in the old days and an auto was state of the art? I don't see myself buying another auto, ever.

pronstar

Reaction score
But I have to ask...why an automatic in the first place? Is it because battery driven watches sucked in the old days and an auto was state of the art? I don't see myself buying another auto, ever.

Nostalgia and craftsmanship.
It’s a tiny perpetual mechanical machine that tells time.

Sorta like Schiada versus Bayliner.
The both float, but one does it with style, class and grace [emoji106]

ridebig

Reaction score
I keep all my automatic watches on a winder except The one I’m wearing.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Hey thanks for all the input. Feldmar quoted $400 and I'm leaning towards sending it to them, or even dropping by and having them look at it.

Like Pronstar said, it doesn't make sense to spend too much on the watch; it's not a high-end watch. Hopefully, a $400 service will give it another ten years or so of life. My two other RW's have lasted 25 and 27 years with battery changes only.

The input you guys offered is helpful and I appreciate it, thanks again. :)

It would be interesting to see the 2 RW's compared from a retained value standpoint

Why autos? Because a solid well built auto can run for 10+ years straight without a visit to a shop - and batteries dying on trips is a bitch...sometimes they leak.

A clean lube and tune can usually be done affordably vs a rolex service which gets a lot of cosmetic work done

Just for snicks give these guys a call - Ive had good luck with them as well, but haven't done as much work with them.

Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 9.13.12 PM.png

RP1

Reaction score
You are correct, an automatic should be worn everyday.

I have four rolex watches that I keep in a watch-winder case which prevents them from having issues as they always stay moving. Just a thought.

pronstar

Reaction score
I have four rolex watches that I keep in a watch-winder case which prevents them from having issues as they always stay moving. Just a thought.

The oils eventually move and break down, you can’t defer service indefinitely.

But I never service automatics unless they start losing time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

spectras only

Reaction score
lubrication 101

FUN FACT ABOUT THE HISTORY OF WATCH LUBRICANTS
Watchmaking lubricants used to be purely animal and vegetable oil. This is also the reason why older watches may smell like fish when you open it up. Watchmakers used to use sperm oil from sperm whales as a lubricant. It worked really well (considering the technology at the time) except the fact that it would gum up within several months.

It's a good thing and a bad thing. It's bad in the sense that the watch would literally stop running within several months because the oil would gum up into an extremely thick substance. It's a good thing because the watch would be well preserved with little to no wear on the pivots.

Today's synthetic oils are the complete opposite. Since it's synthetic, it doesn't gum up at all. Watches can run well past the life span of synthetic oils. When we use animal/vegetable oil, the lubricant eventually gums up due to natural occurring substances. On the other hand, synthetic oil literally dries up and evaporates. This leaves the pivots running dry on the jewels which will cause added friction and wear on the pivots. Added friction and wear on the pivots will eventually cause metal sheering and gunk to build up (one of the reasons why overhaul is recommended after several years).

So, there you have the answer why a manual or auto watch needs service.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
A watchmaker can still use dino or syn - but often simply uses factory approved oils (sound familiar) The correct oil is often critical.

They also break down sitting and or can migrate - letting an automatic simply sit is no guarantee of life or performance either.

A multiposition storage strategy and at least part -time winder is the way to go.

A fun article.

https://www.fourtane.com/2015/11/09/oil-a-rolex/

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
ben bridge in escondido is a RW dealer, they can probably lead you in the right direction.

Sending them out to the RW service centers is always a safe bet.

DLC

Reaction score
Unicorn jewelry and watch boutique
Rancho Bernardo

they can do it all in house and sell Rolex Weil tag Baume & mercier and a lot others

2DF1C91C-C430-46C1-A973-7E927470B8C9.jpeg