WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Avacados

WTRR

Not On The Boat
Reaction score
Ok...need a little info on how to tell when an avacado is too ripe. Got to the river house last night and had 3 avacados left from last weekend. They were jet black and kind of funky looking. Cut them open and all 3 were shades of light green,grey and black. They didn't smell bad so I went ahead and made guacamole with them and it was pretty damn tasty.

I figure you left coasters are the experts so what's the word? Just when do you say no-go on the avacados?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk

BUSTI

Reaction score
Grey is no good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

desertbird

Reaction score
They're kinda like bananas. My mom used to make banana bread from, brown funky bananas, and it was the best ever. It only matters in what your doing with them. What do you think the supermarket does with all of their over-ripe avocados? Yup, make guac and sell it for a premium in the service deli. They are good until the flesh turns black/grey near the pit. The outer black is just bruising.

NeverSatisfied

Reaction score
Since we are on the subject... A killer appetizer is a half avocado with a homemade black bean salsa in the hole and a dab of sour cream and eat it with a spoon.

WTRR

Not On The Boat
Reaction score
That does sound good. May have to try that. About all I ever do with them is make guacamole with them. Never had any this funky before. LoL.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk

rvrmom

Reaction score
Here is great tip... I've done it and it works... So when Avo's are on sale stock up.. Then make your guac in a big batch.... buy baggies and whatever serving size you like put it in the baggie and squeeze all the air out of it and freeze it. Yep freeze it. Doesn't turn that funky color at all. Then when you want some. Fill a bowl of warm water and put the baggie of guac in it.