WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Avalon Inflatable Boats?

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with these or other inflatables? They look like would be a great Mid Week Boat that's easy to launch, load and store. The ones with a Console steering seem the best option.

nameisbond

Reaction score
When we had a big boat growing up we had a Zodiac. Think the Zodiacs are still rated the best for that style of boat.

Tank

Reaction score
My buddy has a 10 or 12’ center console with a 25 Yamaha on it. It’s not an Avalon, can’t remember what it is but it’s pretty cool. Has a full glass liner with CC. Stereo, auto start throttles steering etc. he’s selling ot for like 4500 I think. Cool little boat.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
I learned about going across channel out to Catalina through a friend with a 19' Avalon center console. That hull was fantastic in ocean swell & chop crossing. I had a 23' Caravelle Interceptor runabout w/ 350 Mag and no kidding his Avalon was better taking waves. He had a fresh 4 stroke Suzuki 70hp outboard on it. W'd go across togther side by side till I became comfortable going it alone. He'd even cross at midnight full moons for best ride. I know his was 19' cause he got impounded by Avalon Harbor Patrol for leaving it tied to dock with tenders... they only allow 18' and under to tie up there. They're bullet proof... that fiberglass hull is sweet & deep and coast guard worthy.

Did a web check... I think my buddies was called an Avon... not Avalon.

Last edited:

gqchris

Reaction score
My buddy has a 10 or 12’ center console with a 25 Yamaha on it. It’s not an Avalon, can’t remember what it is but it’s pretty cool. Has a full glass liner with CC. Stereo, auto start throttles steering etc. he’s selling ot for like 4500 I think. Cool little boat.
Tank shoot me a PM if he is still selling. Been looking. Thanks sir!

Taboma

Reaction score
Back in the 80's and early 90's when we had our sportsfisher, I kinda went through an "Inflatable" infatuation phase. 😁

Started small, then kept working my way up to finally the fiberglass hulled RIP style that I was now hauling around on a trailer.

Most fun I'd had boating since I was a kid, so we hauled those damned rubber boats with us everywhere we traveled.
On our Honeymoon in 83', we headed to rent our Houseboat on Mead with an inflatable and 8 hp Mariner engine stuffed under the hatch of our Camaro. Then used it to explore the lower Grand Canyon with the houseboat beached near Pierces Ferry.

My long time best buddy is still using that same 8 HP Mariner up in Oregon when he fishes some rivers.

Even rented a 14' Zodiac during one Hawaii vacation and used it for diving out at the Molokini Crater. The stiff wind and large cresting waves stood that damn thing right on it's stern a few times when we didn't head in early enough. But we were having so much fun surviving Mommy Natures wrath, we just kept charging.

In San Diego, got so I'd head out in the early morning while my wife was still asleep in the berth and end up 15 miles off of San Diego trolling, or off of La Jolla searching for Yellowtail or Kelp Bass. I just carried a handheld VHF in case my trusty Mariner decided to quit or shark bit my tube. :oops:
I did land a nice Mako right off Avalon Harbor in an inflatable, that was a real Keystone Cops Goes Fishing moment. 🤣

I haven't owned one since we sold the ocean boat and recreationally migrated to Havasu, but I stop and eyeball them hard at every boat show.
Can't help but notice -- HOLY HELL they've gotten expensive !!!!!!!!! 😱
So expensive, I'm not sure how I'd feel having one beat to crap at the Avalon Dingy Dock.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Back in the 80's and early 90's when we had our sportsfisher, I kinda went through an "Inflatable" infatuation phase. 😁

Started small, then kept working my way up to finally the fiberglass hulled RIP style that I was now hauling around on a trailer.

Most fun I'd had boating since I was a kid, so we hauled those damned rubber boats with us everywhere we traveled.
On our Honeymoon in 83', we headed to rent our Houseboat on Mead with an inflatable and 8 hp Mariner engine stuffed under the hatch of our Camaro. Then used it to explore the lower Grand Canyon with the houseboat beached near Pierces Ferry.

My long time best buddy is still using that same 8 HP Mariner up in Oregon when he fishes some rivers.

Even rented a 14' Zodiac during one Hawaii vacation and used it for diving out at the Molokini Crater. The stiff wind and large cresting waves stood that damn thing right on it's stern a few times when we didn't head in early enough. But we were having so much fun surviving Mommy Natures wrath, we just kept charging.

In San Diego, got so I'd head out in the early morning while my wife was still asleep in the berth and end up 15 miles off of San Diego trolling, or off of La Jolla searching for Yellowtail or Kelp Bass. I just carried a handheld VHF in case my trusty Mariner decided to quit or shark bit my tube. :oops:
I did land a nice Mako right off Avalon Harbor in an inflatable, that was a real Keystone Cops Goes Fishing moment. 🤣

I haven't owned one since we sold the ocean boat and recreationally migrated to Havasu, but I stop and eyeball them hard at every boat show.
Can't help but notice -- HOLY HELL they've gotten expensive !!!!!!!!! 😱
So expensive, I'm not sure how I'd feel having one beat to crap at the Avalon Dingy Dock.
You caught a mako on an inflatable..... damn they come aboard pissed with teeth flying!

Taboma

Reaction score
You caught a mako on an inflatable..... damn they come aboard pissed with teeth flying!

I tell ya, it would have made for one hell of a sensational YouTube video. You know that Makos like to leap out of the water ? :oops: While most sharks you hook just conserve their energy by swimming in slow circles, forcing you to play tug-o-war, Makos can be really feisty and put on one hell of a show. Especially when you get them real close and try to stick them with a flying gaf --- they seem to take that real personal. 🤣

You know what happens when you're in a rubber boat and you try to gaf a shark ? Well you tend to pull yourself right into his smiling teeth. 🥵
Twice I failed and ended up kicking him back out of my rubber boat, but eventually I was able to stick him. Then released the gaf head, and started towing him behind the inflatable.

Towed him all the way back into the harbor and to my moored big boat. You should have seen the looks from the adjacent boats. 🤣
Then the questions started like " Where'd you find that ?", "What is it ? ", " Is it alive ?" " Can't you see there kids swimming around here ? "
You know, dumb questions like that. 😁

Reactions: DWC

Times Like These

Reaction score
I have a Mercury M400 13’ rib dinghy w/ Mercury 50hp. I have way more fun it it than I do I the big boat. 50hp is probably a little overboard for it, but lots of fun.

Attachments

• C2DAE514-EDD7-4616-A1D5-92E6C064D3F2.jpeg
    C2DAE514-EDD7-4616-A1D5-92E6C064D3F2.jpeg
    563.1 KB · Views: 56

Taboma

Reaction score
I have a Mercury M400 13’ rib dinghy w/ Mercury 50hp. I have way more fun it it than I do I the big boat. 50hp is probably a little overboard for it, but lots of fun.

Sweet, and can be yours today for only $ 34,000 :oops: Just guessing, but whenever I look at the new ones at the show I'm blown away. But then the last one I had was sportin a 25 HP 2 stroke Mariner, that was probably 1/3 of the price of that Merc 50 HP.

outboard_256

Reaction score
My friend had a small Avalon with a 5 hp motor on the back. Folded up pretty good and inflated pretty fast with a air pump or vacumm. We even have done it with a foot pump before.

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
Here is my favorite tender……. I like everything about this small tender, BUT the price. 47k to 51k.

If I ever see one of these for under 20k……. I will buy it on the spot!

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
i just saw this. It’s the latest from Walker Bay. For a 21’ boat, it has more features than my 210 Hallett had…. But I still would rather have the 17’ Rib that I posted above. But the 21’ is still pretty cool.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
I tell ya, it would have made for one hell of a sensational YouTube video. You know that Makos like to leap out of the water ? :oops: While most sharks you hook just conserve their energy by swimming in slow circles, forcing you to play tug-o-war, Makos can be really feisty and put on one hell of a show. Especially when you get them real close and try to stick them with a flying gaf --- they seem to take that real personal. 🤣

You know what happens when you're in a rubber boat and you try to gaf a shark ? Well you tend to pull yourself right into his smiling teeth. 🥵
Twice I failed and ended up kicking him back out of my rubber boat, but eventually I was able to stick him. Then released the gaf head, and started towing him behind the inflatable.

Towed him all the way back into the harbor and to my moored big boat. You should have seen the looks from the adjacent boats. 🤣
Then the questions started like " Where'd you find that ?", "What is it ? ", " Is it alive ?" " Can't you see there kids swimming around here ? "
You know, dumb questions like that. 😁
Love it.... I chartered Bongo II out of Nprt for Catalina day fishing w kids 8 &10.... I hooked a 7' Mako and when I got it close the captain said you might wanna have kids go down below.... he began murdering that damn fish with a sledge hammer before bringing it aboard. Glad I had kids out of sight.

Taboma

Reaction score
Love it.... I chartered Bongo II out of Nprt for Catalina day fishing w kids 8 &10.... I hooked a 7' Mako and when I got it close the captain said you might wanna have kids go down below.... he began murdering that damn fish with a sledge hammer before bringing it aboard. Glad I had kids out of sight.

Yup, sharks, even the lazy tug of war types, get mighty pissey when you stick a gaf in em. From all types of species, including large Marlin, it's the sharks who have bent and broken gafs, and chewed chunks out of the swim step. So yes, we'd bash em, beat em and cut their throats at first opportunity, some boats carry a shark gun or rifle, but we often fished in Mexico where that's frowned upon.
Makos are at the top of my list for a fun catch and amazing fare. 👍👍👍

FishSniper

Reaction score
Would be interested in more info or pics if this still available also been thinking of something like this for fishing Havasu etc.