WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

AWD SUV shopping this past month.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
A niece finally got her lemon law settlement on her CRV. She paid off her condo and had enough left to buy a new car.

Subaru Outback was her first choice but she was priced out for a cash sale. Even negotiating a better deal was too expensive. Subaru sells out nationwide every year. No deals to be had. Toyota RAV4 with AWD is a priced-out situation too. They ain't cheap, dealers don't deal off MSRP. She thought a clunky ride and a buzzy engine anyway.

The Kia Seltos AWD fit her cash budget after we negotiated a price. A poor man's Subaru.
The people in RDP were happy with their Kias and those with issues reported the company fixed them to their satisfaction.
Nice cars at good prices and getting good reviews now.

Then the phone rang:
One of our adult kids got hit in their car last week. No injuries and our grandchild in the rear seat was unharmed.

This adult child suffers mental distress from years of fighting cancer. The drugs, the chemo, the surgeries, the treatments, the aftermath of botched surgeries, the sickness itself took its toll. A cross this child carries thru life.
We teach cancer doesn't define you, but that's a tough sell in this case.

Car totaled.
It was a good run with that car. Almost 200.000 trouble free miles. Bought new. Mazda 3 great cars.

So Wednesday morning I headed to Las Vegas and our adult child flew down from Reno Nv and we went new car shopping.

In the Southwest price negotiation (haggling) on a new vehicle is a ritual. A miserable ritual.

We had picked a bottom line cheap-O mini SUV off the car dealers website and they sent us a decent price offer about $5000 off MSRP + fees. 5 star crash rated. New driveline design, good reviews. They promised no shenanigans - just write a check, sign, take the vehicle.

Forget buying a new vehicle from San Francisco across thru Reno onto Fallon Nevada then North to The Canadian border. They just won't deal on price.
In Las Vegas they do and it can be fun. Best place to buy a new Vehicle IMHO.

So Wednesday morning we connected at the airport and headed to the car dealer. We were walking over to where the quoted car was parked on the dealers lot but walked by a nicer model that is “murdered out.” They just unloaded it off the car hauler. Still covered with stickers and tags from the shipping co and MFG.

"Murdered Out" means dark colors and all chrome is black chrome and the vehicle is loaded with every possible option. Bigger 18" wheels, nicer interior and such. AWD with locking center diff. Different off roading exterior trim that lowered the insurance cost and looks nicer.

Nice everything car but way more money than the much lesser model we came in for.

So an hour later we got way more than discount knocked off the price of the Murdered out Kia. No sales tax, no registration fees and another $500 knocked off because I was a veteran. Pop'd out the COSTCO buyers chit, they knocked off another grand.

Car ended up not much more money than the basic Cheap-O model we came in for.
Inked - took delivery.

So I spent last night night at the Southpoint Hotel with our adult child heading back up to Reno in a new vehicle that they paid cash for themself. No payments.
A lot more bang for the buck for sure.
I’m smiling.

They arrived home to an Amazon box at the doorstep.
The insurance co had sent a new child car seat.

Now, onto knee surgery
FE8B58DC-7E85-4EC6-8647-419E4BB8DC03.jpeg

Last edited:

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Nice SUV and should provide years of trouble free service.

Reactions: TPC

grumpy88

Reaction score
Nice car . I wish you had said something i was at south point till 6 pm working on one of tge moving walks . Still here again today if your around !

Reactions: TPC

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Nice car . I wish you had said something i was at south point till 6 pm working on one of tge moving walks . Still here again today if your around !
Oh rats. That’a worked.
Nice hotel. Good rates.
Lively machines and the comp’d drinks flowed.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Thats what we like to hear ! Next time

Oh brother those cocktail Waitresses. Stunning. The mask makes their bedroom eyes more sexy.
Friendly bartenders, drinks flowed and any call booze ya want comp'd, fun, lively video poker, appreciative craps dealers.
Easy free self parking, convenient to the I 15, only $14 resort fee that included free transportation and a ton of other perks. Cheaper than the Comfort inn and a hell of a lot more fun.

The cocktail servers alone eclipses any show. Knockout in risque' attire.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Epilogue:

When we arrived at the Kia dealer there was a huge circle of lot donkeys out front. Each dressed like a soup sandwich, playing liar's poker, shoving each other back and forth bumping heads, snorting, farting and spitting into a snot circle between drags off their cigarettes while picking the crack in their ass.

I waved them off and headed into the showroom. A beautiful, angelic-faced, olive skin 21 year old girl in a tight knit sweater, her braless natural double blessings softly bouncing as she approached greeted us and handled the entire transaction.