WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Awesome town, USA - School me

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
It's Schiada.. ;)

RD

I knew it looked funny but it’s not necessarily a word that autocorrect could figure out. Maybe you should put in a few calls and have Apple add it to their standard dictionary.

Meaney77

Reaction score
I live in Newbury Park with my wife and two small kids and couldn't be happier. I grew up in Thousand Oaks, but lived in North OC with the wife for about 10 years prior to moving back to Ventura County. As mentioned above, the weather is great, traffic is minimal and the schools are excellent. I wish we had some better restaurants, and it's a little far from the river. Home prices are high, but a lot of the older communities have no HOA's.
Where about in NP do you live?

Meaney77

Reaction score
Been racking my brain over this for months lol
Where did you say that your wife was commuting to?

Also ever think about renting month to month and getting a feel for where you like?

pixrthis

Reaction score
Everything you’re looking for is in SCV, also if you ride dirt bikes there are amazing single track trails, tracks and desert are not that far away. Mammoth is under four hours and the beach is about an hour. I know people think Castaic Lake sucks but if you’re looking to float and swim with the kids it doesn’t and it’s fifteen minutes away. We live in Newhall which is the best it can be for traveling south to work but traffic sucks like everywhere else in So Cal. Not sure what’s in the water but there are a ton of professional athletes that come out of SCV. We have a small homeless population, heroine is here, and petty theft is growing. Probably connected to the druggies but the sheriffs do a descent job curtailing it.

Hammer

Reaction score
Thousand Oaks or Simi vote here too! I live in east Simi and I commute to Universal everyday and its about 20-35 minutes shorter than my Valencia co-workers with the same exact miles. Also Ventura county

I may know some of your co workers if you work on the rides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mikes56

Reaction score
I've lived in Santa Clarita for the last 49 years. I've lived in Valencia, Saugus and now Newhall. I worked at Santa Clarita Station for 17 years, then boat patrol at Castaic and Pyramid Lake for 11 years. It's a great city to live in compared to the SFV. The City seems to care what's going on and they actually keep the homeless problem to a minimum. It's not as nice as it used to be, but nowhere is.
We had a school shooting at Saugus High a few months ago. LASD did a great job handling that, with a couple off duty buddies of mine running into the school in their jeans and t shirts and a 2" revolver. Theres a bunch of great guys at the local station that still fuck with the scumbags, because the guys live here with their family's and care about the area.
The traffic sucks and is getting worse, but I don't see myself living anywhere else until I bail out of California.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Where did you say that your wife was commuting to?

Also ever think about renting month to month and getting a feel for where you like?
Chatsworth.

thought about that, but with that comes kids schools and we don’t want to shuffle them around. Trying to avoid it

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
My kids are 5 and 1. Daughter just started public school. Do you work at Amgen? We live in Rancho Conejo, which is very close to your office.
I don’t work at Amgen, but our office is across the street

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
Curious why MilkMoney got banned?

A go fund me account was set up yesterday morning to ban Milk Money with a goal of 500.00. When the total (not surprisingly) reached the ten thousand dollar mark by mid afternoon Dave laid the hammer down on 'ol MilkDud! :D

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
I would consider moving back to scv but, that 20,000 (or whatever) home tracts they're building behind magic mountain without the infrastructure would have me doing some serious logistical studies on commutes etc.

bonesfab

Reaction score
I would consider moving back to scv but, that 20,000 (or whatever) home tracts they're building behind magic mountain without the infrastructure would have me doing some serious logistical studies on commutes etc.
There goes the 126 and the 5 will be royally screwed.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
There goes the 126 and the 5 will be royally screwed.
That's exactly what I worry about. If I moved to SCV, my commute in afternoon would take me thru the 23 > 126 > 5 (or up Newhall Ranch Rd to saugus)

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
I grew up in SCV and have a ton of friends that still reside there. The biggest issue that is prevelent there right now is opiod and heroin use in the high schools. Unfortunately I have lost a couple HS friends to this.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I grew up in SCV and have a ton of friends that still reside there. The biggest issue that is prevelent there right now is opiod and heroin use in the high schools. Unfortunately I have lost a couple HS friends to this.

That is the first thing everyone says about Simi - heroin in the schools. Seems like everyone who says that doesn't actually live in Simi though, so it might be a past thing that got attention and everyone committed it to memory.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
I'm really lucky my kids never hooked on that. They all know a few (probably more then a few) that have and some who have OD'd. But i think that is an issue in most high schools these days

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
That's exactly what I worry about. If I moved to SCV, my commute in afternoon would take me thru the 23 > 126 > 5 (or up Newhall Ranch Rd to saugus)
126 is one of the things I enjoyed out there.
5 minutes and I'm in orange groves and ranch vegetable stands on my way to channels islands or Ventura. But as a commute, dunno.
Have you done Grimes Cyn? Check it out.
Don't do 67 in a 60 on 126, you'll be lit up.
Death toll used to be high on that hwy.

Hammer

Reaction score
I really like living in SCV, great family community. Great schools, sports for kids and you don’t really have “unsafe neighborhood” here.

However, I would seriously consider your option of Simi,Camarillo, Westlake, Newbury Park Thousand Oaks or somewhere along the 101.

I’m not happy they are building that development off the 126 behind magic mountain. We don’t have enough freeways to get in and out of here. The 126 is great to get out to Ventura and take Grimes Canyon into the backside of Camarillo if you need to get over that way. . The second that development gets built it will make “awesometown” not so awesome. Santa Clarita is definitely not what it once was. But what is.

I live off of plum canyon which is nice. But they are building a development called skyranch which will bring in more people. As others have mentioned, traffic in town is tough, and only going to get worse.

I’m lucky my office is in town. My wife is a teacher here as well.

I will say heading to havasu and the desert is breeze if you time it right. So is Vegas.

For what it’s worth my house has RV parking and a pool, 14k flag lot(single story too). No Melo Roos or HOA. It’s a great neighborhood filled with cops,firemen and city workers. Kids riding bikes everywhere and taking spins on their dirt bikes on occasion. We looked everywhere in town and I wouldn’t live anywhere else.. Unless I could afford Sand Canyon, Placerita Canyon or Aqua Dulce. The house below me is for sale by owner. Street is filled with kids. Single story 3 bedroom 2 bath with plenty of room for upgrades. It needs some work but has plenty of potential long term. IMO it’s over priced by 200k. Lol.

Shoot me a PM and I’ll get you my address so you can get an idea of the neighborhood if you want.

Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

grumpy88

Reaction score
I know it's been said but out of state would be my first choice . Down side to ventura county is it adds a minimum half hour drive to and from the river . Scv down side is your commute to work everyday . I don't See a great answer either way except away from the crazy rat neighbors . Good luck with your choice

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
I had a great commute for many years from our home in Camarillo, straight across the farm fields to US Naval Base - Hueneme. Traffic was never an issue. Camarillo is just far enough inland that you do not get the heavy marine layer from the coast.

johnnyC

Reaction score
I would think about simi or thousand oaks, next big earthquake and the five will be closed like the last 2 times, not a pretty situation