WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Axle Drain Holes??

LazyLavey

Reaction score
I haven't confirmed yet but I believe my axle has been taking on water and leaking...

The leaking is only on one side and makes a dirty mess on the inner wheel, rotor, trailer and bottom of boat. Nothing on the outer wheel and only after retrieval while traveling home.

I'm sure it's not grease, just filthy water (appears rusty), not oily, dry by the time I get home. Cleans off with just water...

I recently had the axle off to have spindle replaced... At the same time I replaced the rotor, pads and caliper ...

this mess started after those repairs

Here's where I believe it's leaking from

Screen Shot 2022-05-23 at 3.08.35 PM.png

(This is not my axle but very similar) My axle is the typical Extreme leaf spring axle

The area in question is the square tube that sits vertical below the spindle, approx 2"long... as if it supports the spindle..

To try to confirm this as being the issue, I've wedged a plastic square tube cap tightly into that vertical tube opening and I'll wrap in tape as well to stop any leak. I'll confirm next trip..

My question is.... if the axle is taking on water chances are there will always be water in there...

Any issues with drilling a couple of drain holes in the bottom of that axle? any strength or integrity compromise?

I'm thinking it'll drain and ventilate with drain holes better than expecting it to drain through the weld gaps....

I'll be damed if I'm gonna remove this axle again....lol

strictly fresh water

My only other thought is the pads..... but they're new and non metallic

Last edited:

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
I would pull the wheel and check to make sure the grease seal is not leaking, double check your bearing while you are in there. My flat and Day cruiser sit on solid axels, not familiar with tube axels.

LazyLavey

Reaction score
Done.....Definitely not grease or brake fluid... confirmed..and reconfirmed and certified...

Oh.... and already tried a different prop

......Solid axles must be heavy as hell!

Last edited: