WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

AZ Dept of Public Safety Vehicles

Stainless

Banned
Reaction score
They are rolling out a new paint scheme. Saw a few of them driving through Phoenix this weekend. They are Silver with a vertical black band that is sloped slightly, says "State Trooper" in the band. Sorry I didn't take any pics of them. [emoji3]

Cat Can Do

Reaction score
Seen some copper colored ones a few months ago.

image.jpg

530RL

Reaction score
They have changed their nomenclature from Officer to Trooper.

The new paint scheme reflects that change.

JB in so cal

Reaction score
They're running some with Ghost markings, too.

BC, do you wish you were still working? Miss anything? Nothing? Want to join another agency? You've always been a great asset here.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Those explorer SUVs look fantastic.[emoji1303] I first saw the CHP start using them a few years ago & now all the PDs have them.[emoji1303]

They suck for what I do. Great for pursuits, but your general driving around creeping on things no thanks. Entry and exit of the vehicle, point of view into other vehicles, other officer specfic safety issues:thumbsdown No thanks. Give me a beat down crown vic with a agency service plan, working AC, and 100k+ miles and I'll be happy:thumbsup

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
BC, do you wish you were still working? Miss anything? Nothing? Want to join another agency? You've always been a great asset here.

I'm still as devoted to Boating Safety as I was before and will probably continue to answer questions. After all, I'm still out on the River, and don't really want to get mowed down by some idiot.

But miss it? Not in the least.

Go back to work? Nope.

Volunteer? Like for free?

I planned for nearly 30 years to quit when I was 60. I didn't want to be one of those slobs working well into their 70s or 80s. Well, it worked out and now I'm just biding my time right now until the Mrs. retires next April. Then, who knows?

Stainless

Banned
Reaction score
All I know is I almost got nailed by the first one I saw going through Black Canyon City. [emoji3]

530RL

Reaction score
They suck for what I do. Great for pursuits, but your general driving around creeping on things no thanks. Entry and exit of the vehicle, point of view into other vehicles, other officer specfic safety issues:thumbsdown No thanks. Give me a beat down crown vic with a agency service plan, working AC, and 100k+ miles and I'll be happy:thumbsup

Crown vics like to explode when hit from behind. :eek

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
I thought officers liked getting in & out of the explorers? Easier on the body etc... Better vision, siting up higher? They also have backup cameras & sensors & are faster than the crown vics, hands free etc....

Btw, I keep hearing rumors that the CHP is switching to Dodge Chargers but I Haven't seen them yet. Wouldn't the LAPD & Sheriff Dept. be better off with Chargers?

Security features on the explores aren't as great. Can't change that unless you add a second cage completely securing all the items in the rear storage area. Stepping down from a moving vehilce versus stepping up are two different things. The doors don't open the same degree, they window sill is higher which limits your view from inside the car, not all versions have the back up camera etc. Faster on exceleration yes, but they feel very squirly when doing so. Not a fan...

I have no idea about those agency's, but I can tell you it is harder to stuff multiple bodies in the back of a charger, and the view out of them to the side and rear sucks:thumbsdown

Way to many factors to consider and it's way more than just driving. Those are tools used in a specific manner and for specific reasons. I would rather see a fleet of Tahoe's with the right suspension and lowered a couple inches than any of the new options. Gas milage on the explorers for my type of driving sucks anyways so there is no benefit there either.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Crown vics like to explode when hit from behind. :eek

Unless you're parked on the side of a road, the TC's are mainly head on or t-bone. In my time on I've never heard of a crown vic exploding from rear impact. I guess it's possible, but I've never seen it.

Stainless

Banned
Reaction score
Unless you're parked on the side of a road, the TC's are mainly head on or t-bone. In my time on I've never heard of a crown vic exploding from rear impact. I guess it's possible, but I've never seen it.

There was an incident here involving rear end explosion. DPS officer died in the car, I think his name was Jesse ?
530 may remember his name?
About 10 years ago I helped pull a Tohono O'Odham officer out of a Crown Vic that rolled in median and caught on fire. It was not a rear end though, officer lost control in single vehicle incident.

Reactions: t&y

Backlash

Reaction score
T&A nailed it. :D

The view from the Crown Vic is a 100 times better than the Exploders. Chargers were fun while they lasted but you could roast a set of brakes in a heartbeat and the cars didn't hold up that well. Lots of agencies jumped on the bandwagon without doing a ton of research and many got rid of them just as quickly. Some agencies still have Chargers floating around but not many. Out of the ones mentioned, I would pick the Crown Vic for patrol and freeway driving..... The Charger second then the Exploder last.

One model that wasn't mentioned which I absolutely love is the Taurus. Light, nimble, lower to the ground, zero body roll, 300hp and AWD.

Get you some of that!!!! :D

530RL

Reaction score
There was an incident here involving rear end explosion. DPS officer died in the car, I think his name was Jesse ?
About 10 years ago I helped pull a Tohono O'Odham officer out of a Crown Vic that rolled in median and caught on fire. It was not a rear end though, officer lost control in single vehicle incident.

Phoenix police office. Jason Schechterlee.

As a taxpayer, I don't care what they drive as long as they are safe.

Lunatic Fringe

Reaction score
Phoenix police office. Jason Schechterlee.

As a taxpayer, I don't care what they drive as long as they are safe.

Yep, and he didn't die but was burned extensively.
The cab driver who rear ended him was estimated to be going 96 to 115mph at impact. Hard to blame the Crown Vic but they did.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
T&A nailed it. :D

The view from the Crown Vic is a 100 times better than the Exploders. Chargers were fun while they lasted but you could roast a set of brakes in a heartbeat and the cars didn't hold up that well. Lots of agencies jumped on the bandwagon without doing a ton of research and many got rid of them just as quickly. Some agencies still have Chargers floating around but not many. Out of the ones mentioned, I would pick the Crown Vic for patrol and freeway driving..... The Charger second then the Exploder last.

One model that wasn't mentioned which I absolutely love is the Taurus. Light, nimble, lower to the ground, zero body roll, 300hp and AWD.

Get you some of that!!!! :D

The "Bull" and the Exploder are built on the same platform from what I understand. Amazing what a lower center of gravity does for the personality of a vehicle.

Always curious what the feedback is on the RWD Impalas.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
My brother pushes' wrench's for LAPD. He says that what is a minor incident in a CV will total a dodge.

racered

Reaction score
I am surprised to read that the crown vic has fans! That platform with full frame and ancient suspension tech rides and handles like crap in my experience. However I haven't patrolled in any of the mentioned vehicles, I just see them in my shop after retirement. Which brings up the exploding crown vic deal.
Like almost all ancient tech vehicles, the fuel tank is behind the rear axle, and the crown has it's tank stood up on it's side, strapped tight to the front side of the trunk floor, which puts the tank directly below the shelf in the trunk where communications equipment is often mounted in the trunk. Like drywall screws through the hull into the trailer, the screws that mount the added equipment pierce the fuel tank. If the screw is tightened enough nobody will know the tank is pierced until the equipment is removed and the leak shows up,
or if the vehicle is impacted hard enough from the rear to smash the tank between the trunk and rear axle,opening the screw holes to spray fuel.

Stainless

Banned
Reaction score

Correction...The incident I was referring to was Jaun Cruz(Tucson) who died in a Crown Vic that got rear-ended and caught on fire.
When I googled it there was another incident that popped up about a female suspect that was arrested and placed in back of a Crown Vic that got rear-ended and she burned to death also.

RJ65

Reaction score
A friend I grew up with, had his father killed in a crown vic that caught on fire after being rear ended. His name was DPS officer Floyd Fink. He was killed on the superstition freeway.

Backlash

Reaction score
The Impalas were badass and we trialed one for a bit. The car would flat haul the mail and was a better performer than the CV. The issue was delivery. At that time, the sales rep was estimating 8-12 months for delivery due to the fact that Holden was building them (Australia). So, in that manner, you could write a check for the car on January 1 and not see the actual vehicle until October. Then the cars would still need to be outfitted. So you are looking at almost a full year from time of payment and order until the vehicles would land in the patrol fleet. That was a tough sale to swallow. So we opted out of the Impala option and stayed with Ford. Ordered a fleet of Taurus and Explorers instead.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
The Impalas were badass and we trialed one for a bit. The car would flat haul the mail and was a better performer than the CV. The issue was delivery. At that time, the sales rep was estimating 8-12 months for delivery due to the fact that Holden was building them (Australia). So, in that manner, you could write a check for the car on January 1 and not see the actual vehicle until October. Then the cars would still need to be outfitted. So you are looking at almost a full year from time of payment and order until the vehicles would land in the patrol fleet. That was a tough sale to swallow. So we opted out of the Impala option and stayed with Ford. Ordered a fleet of Taurus and Explorers instead.

It's been a few years back now, but a CHP buddy in Santa Maria told me all the guys were always trying to get the Impalas, anything over 90mph in a CV was a little squirrley. At the time their fleet was about 50/50 but the Impalas were be dropped by GM.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
I am surprised to read that the crown vic has fans! That platform with full frame and ancient suspension tech rides and handles like crap in my experience. However I haven't patrolled in any of the mentioned vehicles, I just see them in my shop after retirement. Which brings up the exploding crown vic deal.
Like almost all ancient tech vehicles, the fuel tank is behind the rear axle, and the crown has it's tank stood up on it's side, strapped tight to the front side of the trunk floor, which puts the tank directly below the shelf in the trunk where communications equipment is often mounted in the trunk. Like drywall screws through the hull into the trailer, the screws that mount the added equipment pierce the fuel tank. If the screw is tightened enough nobody will know the tank is pierced until the equipment is removed and the leak shows up,
or if the vehicle is impacted hard enough from the rear to smash the tank between the trunk and rear axle,opening the screw holes to spray fuel.

Thats interesting. All our equipment is mounted on a large rollout system like a drawer. When I first started they were mounted directly to the trunk lid but I don't ever recall the odor of gas in the trunk. I guess we've be lucky.

Blubyu

Reaction score
The explorers are garbage. Blind spot city. If you're over 6' tall forget about it. So uncomfortable can't move the seat as the back of it is against the cage. Feel like I am in a sardine can. The fuel tank is way to small for it, easily can use up a tank of fuel a shift.

Tahoe is where it's at. Although the new seats in the Tahoe are not as good as the old ones.