WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

AZ off road permit

grumpy88

Reaction score
I just read as of Sept 1 you must purchase a Arizona ohv decal for 25 dollars . They will no longer recognize out of state stickers or out of state plates on ohv vehicles . No grace period will be allowed . Snow birds are going to be pissed

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Now I'm worried CA will make us AZ folks get a non resident permit, and we all know that'll be more than $25

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
What I hate is I have to run the plate on my bike and my bike has no plate holder.

IMG_8591.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I'm going for the on/off road use plate.
I used RD's address you can too:

RiverDave
69 Dyke Lane.
LHC Az.

Last edited:

Ladsm

Reaction score
As more Californian’s flee CA to AZ and then continue to act and vote like Californian’s and people wonder why AZ is turning into California i sit wondering where to flee AZ to now.
A new CA transplant was complaining yesterday on the BHC FB page how AZ needs to become more like CA and raise wages but keep AZ low cost of living. People dont understand simple math.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Az has been pretty confusing for the past 10 years or so.... BTW, you also need a "state land recreational permit" if you cross any state lands. I gave up about 10 years ago when between registration, OHV sticker and state land permits plus insurance since you operate on road was something like 110 per bike per year...

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I just read as of Sept 1 you must purchase a Arizona ohv decal for 25 dollars . They will no longer recognize out of state stickers or out of state plates on ohv vehicles . No grace period will be allowed . Snow birds are going to be pissed

Who would even enforce that In Havasu? Maybe you’d get pinched by a Ranger in the Topock area?

Where does one put the OHV sticker if you don’t have a plate?

I have an AZ MC plate and highway and OHV registration, so just wondering.

RVRKID

Reaction score
I have the AZ Plate with both stickers and a CA green sticker, is that going to be too confusing for them?

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
An OHV meeting the 1,800-pound requirement and displaying the OHV Decal maycross State Trust Land only on designated or open existing roads and trails. Do not enter closed areas. Operation of support vehicles (RV, truck, trailer, etc.) requires a recreational permit.

I interpret this to mean that my dirtbikes required both the ohv sticker from the MDV and the State land recreational permit... because my dirt bikes and ATVs were not 1800 lbs.

That actually means not over 1800lb, my read of the law is that you need a permit for your truck, but if you could ride your bikes from your house to trust land you would not need a permit.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Not claiming dual residency just making sure everyone gets there money since I ride in both states.

You’ll be arrested. In each state. No good deed goes unpunished.

cakemoto

Reaction score
Now I'm worried CA will make us AZ folks get a non resident permit, and we all know that'll be more than $25
Already have this called a dune pass.
I know California city now makes you have your own sticker from the city Annually

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
That actually means not over 1800lb, my read of the law is that you need a permit for your truck, but if you could ride your bikes from your house to trust land you would not need a permit.

OHV decals are NOT required (or allowed) for vehicles OVER 1,800 lbs. Jeeps, Bajas and larger buggies don't need them, but they must be registered for highway use if operating (even crossing) on pavement. This is due to the OHV plate and decal being only $25 with no Vehicle License Tax applied.

The decal allows OHVs to operate on the road, only going directly to or from, an OHV area. But within a reasonable distance. You can't take the highway from Havasu to Topock to go off roading there. But you can take it from your house in Havasu directly to the dirt. The law states DIRECT. If you stop at the store for a can of chew, it's not DIRECT.

Even then, an OHV on, or crossing, the roadway (street, highway, alley, freeway, etc) must be insured and the operator licensed. This means NO KIDS or other unlicensed drivers on the road.

Reactions: D19

Singleton

Reaction score
WTF is occurring in AZ.
I already have CA green for the quads.
Looks like non-residents need a sticker now as well.

ATTENTION NON-RESIDENT RIDERS:
We are grateful that you've chosen Arizona as your riding destination. Before planning your next adventure to ride with us we wanted to make you aware of a new guideline for non-resident riders.

Beginning fall 2019 all non-resident off-highway vehicles will be required by law to have a new Non-Resident Arizona OHV decal. Decals will be $25 and valid for one year from the date of purchase. They will only be available for purchase online and will be issued by the Arizona Game and Fish Department. Please visit the Game and Fish link for the most up to date information on this new law and how to purchase your decal when they become available. Until then, we can't wait to ride with you and hope you enjoy all of the great riding opportunities our beautiful state has to offer.

From AZ G&F link
Nonresident OHV Decal
As of Sept. 1, 2019, the state of Arizona requires nonresidents wanting to operate their OHV within the state to purchase a nonresident OHV decal. The decal must be purchased prior to riding an OHV within the state.

How to purchase a nonresident OHV decal
The nonresident OHV decal costs $25 (plus a processing fee) and is valid for one year from the date of purchase. This decal can only be purchased online through an Arizona Game and Fish Department portal account. The decal will not be sold at AZGFD offices.

Create a portal account

Nonresidents with multiple machines must purchase additional decals — each OHV must have its own decal. Nonresidents must display the decal on the left rear quarter panel of OHVs with/ three or more wheels, or on the left fork leg on two-wheeled vehicles.

Additional information
  • Decals are not transferable between OHVs and each machine must have its own sticker.
  • The nonresident OHV decal will be mailed within two to three weeks from the date of purchase. Purchasers can show their receipt (or a screenshot of it) for up to 30 days as proof of decal purchase. Owners/riders must have the receipt readily available if requested by law enforcement or until they receive their decal(s).
  • Exemptions can be found in ARS 28-1178 and include those participating in OHV special events, operating on private land, loading or unloading from a vehicle, during a period of emergency if directed by a peace officer or if it displays a valid dealer license plate.
  • Decals shall be displayed on the driver’s side of the vehicle as shown on the decal paperwork that they will receive with their decals.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
OHV decals are NOT required (or allowed) for vehicles OVER 1,800 lbs. Jeeps, Bajas and larger buggies don't need them, but they must be registered for highway use if operating (even crossing) on pavement. This is due to the OHV plate and decal being only $25 with no Vehicle License Tax applied.

The decal allows OHVs to operate on the road, only going directly to or from, an OHV area. But within a reasonable distance. You can't take the highway from Havasu to Topock to go off roading there. But you can take it from your house in Havasu directly to the dirt. The law states DIRECT. If you stop at the store for a can of chew, it's not DIRECT.

Even then, an OHV on, or crossing, the roadway (street, highway, alley, freeway, etc) must be insured and the operator licensed. This means NO KIDS or other unlicensed drivers on the road.

So what if I can’t display my plate? Can I carry it with me and put the OHV sticker on the fork or something?

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
I also saw a question about who is going to enforce this. The AZ Game and Fish Department is responsible for OHV enforcement and they have brought on additional Officers and cross trained current Wildlife Managers for this purpose. The Sheriff's Offices have also received grants for pay and equipment for OHV enforcement. My guess is that you'll see a lot of the Boating Safety guys out there during the fall/winter/spring months.

For the Parker, Blythe-Ehrenberg, Big River, Lost Lake-Aha Quinn, and Mohave Valley folks, the (AZ) decals ARE NOT REQUIRED on Reservation land. The reasoning behind this, is that the money from the decal program goes to enhancing OHV trails and areas, which they don't do on the Rez. So if you're in the immediate Rez area, you'll need to know where the line(s) starts and stops.

I'm not sure if Fort Mohave has their own OHV decal, but CRIT does ($25). I think the only time they really enforce it is during the off-road races, like in the BITD pits by the airport. CRIT PD and CRIT Fish and GAmeThey'll probably be checking for them if you're using an OHV for hunting. But you never know when they might be around, so you'll probably be better off getting both the State and CRIT decals.

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
So what if I can’t display my plate? Can I carry it with me and put the OHV sticker on the fork or something?

You won't be issued a plate for out-of-state. It's a decal only. See a few posts above this for how to display.

"Nonresidents must display the decal on the left rear quarter panel of OHVs with/ three or more wheels, or on the left fork leg on two-wheeled vehicles."

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
You won't be issued a plate for out-of-state. It's a decal only. See a few posts above this for how to display.

"Nonresidents must display the decal on the left rear quarter panel of OHVs with/ three or more wheels, or on the left fork leg on two-wheeled vehicles."

What about for us residents? I have just kept my plate with decal in my backpack for my dirtbike, I don't want to drill through my fender

SPYLIFE

Reaction score
Not the popular opinion, but I don't really mind the $25.00 fee. I'm happy we have all the riding spots and freedoms we have. Prices of running the state will continue to rise, therefore they (AZ) need to raise cost. Try living in FL, you can't do anything on state land as everything is so protected for the environment.

$25.00 seem rather minimal considering many of show up in $30K plus 4-wheelers being pulled inside nice toy haulers by $50K-$60K trucks.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score

I’m a resident of Phoenix

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
OHV 25 bucks... If I stop and have a picnic on state land 20 bucks... wander onto CRIT land another 25 bucks... stop for chew at circle K get busted.. Every officer is cross commissioned to enforce, so now we get "safety" checks... make sure each sticker is in the right spot...

peace out!... too many rules...

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I also saw a question about who is going to enforce this. The AZ Game and Fish Department is responsible for OHV enforcement and they have brought on additional Officers and cross trained current Wildlife Managers for this purpose. The Sheriff's Offices have also received grants for pay and equipment for OHV enforcement. My guess is that you'll see a lot of the Boating Safety guys out there during the fall/winter/spring months.

For the Parker, Blythe-Ehrenberg, Big River, Lost Lake-Aha Quinn, and Mohave Valley folks, the (AZ) decals ARE NOT REQUIRED on Reservation land. The reasoning behind this, is that the money from the decal program goes to enhancing OHV trails and areas, which they don't do on the Rez. So if you're in the immediate Rez area, you'll need to know where the line(s) starts and stops.

I'm not sure if Fort Mohave has their own OHV decal, but CRIT does ($25). I think the only time they really enforce it is during the off-road races, like in the BITD pits by the airport. CRIT PD and CRIT Fish and GAmeThey'll probably be checking for them if you're using an OHV for hunting. But you never know when they might be around, so you'll probably be better off getting both the State and CRIT decals.

Heard earlier this week that the Sherriff in Parker wants to get rzr’s for offroad enforcement now of the desert bar and other areas..

HotRod82

Reaction score
Wow, 25 bucks for each and every off road toy...nice little revenue generator. I would bet they will follow the CA model, charge you money to hire more cops to write you more tickets THEN they will use some of that ORV money to hire biologists which will write reports giving the reasons all of the trails need to be closed. Welcome to the new CaliZona....Sad.

Reactions: D19

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Wow, 25 bucks for each and every off road toy...nice little revenue generator. I would bet they will follow the CA model, charge you money to hire more cops to write you more tickets THEN they will use some of that ORV money to hire biologists which will write reports giving the reasons all of the trails need to be closed. Welcome to the new CaliZona....Sad.

I am running out of places to go.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I google it but no info if the permit/sticker can be obtained by mail.
Any links or info yet?

boblins

Reaction score
So being a law abiding type non resident, went to purchase sticker and to my surprise (sort of) cost is $30 not $25 as noted. I guess the plus fees amount is $5. Not exorbitant, but hope we get out a few more times than last year to make the per ride cost reasonable.