WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

AZ pool people. School me on what to do

kurtis500

Reaction score
Now that our kids are grown its time to put a pool in the back yard of our Phoenix home. (I didnt want to take any chances with drownings) We have 3 dogs that will be using it also.

Questions:

-Does anyone have a pool heater? I would like to extend the season but Im not sure on the costs or if its worth it. We have natural gas if its cheaper..
-Do you have a spa attached? Do you heat it during the winter but not the pool?
-Looking back, is there anything you would have spent money on or not wasted it on? Anything you would stay away from?
-Salt or chlorinated?

Thanks

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I'm not a pool guy, but I have a pool. I have a setup with the black rubber solar tubes. It can really extend the season. The pump runs the filtered water back through the solar collector tubes. It returns pretty darn hot and can extend the season a month or two depending on weather and run time.

The other cool deal we did was a motorized cover. Having the cover limits the pool size, shape and features you can do around it, but with a turn of a key the cover rolls open or closed. It drastically limits water loss, dirt and debris in the pool and chemical usage. And you can walk across it, so it keeps the pool safe while it is closed.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
In Havasu.
I only heat the spa as needed. Winter it takes ~ 45-50 minutes to heat, in summer its 10 or so minutes. Propane fired heater.
Putting a cover on overnight in Spring and Fall most certainly helps retain the days warmth. I didn't really use it much until last year, it's just the blue bubble stuff and a bit of a PITA with our freeform pool shape but after realizing the result it was worth the effort.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Now that our kids are grown its time to put a pool in the back yard of our Phoenix home. (I didnt want to take any chances with drownings) We have 3 dogs that will be using it also.

Questions:

-Does anyone have a pool heater? I would like to extend the season but Im not sure on the costs or if its worth it. We have natural gas if its cheaper..
-Looking back, is there anything you would have spent money on or not wasted it on? Anything you would stay away from?
-Salt or chlorinated?

Thanks

In SoCal, it's actually the desert here, but everyone has forgotten that fact...

-I have a heater on the spa, it will heat the pool if I wanted it to. I've never felt the need.
-Spa attached. It's the only way to go.
-Woulda added one of those underwater deck things (i forget what you call em) and LED lighting.
-Chlorine is extracted from the salt, so either way, your still using chlorine for sanitation. Salt is less day to day maintenance, but quite a bit more expensive going in and in the long run. You pay extra for convivence is all.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score

Questions:

-Salt or chlorinated?

Thanks

I have a 400K heater and solar. (started with a 200K BTU heater)

Detached spa - yes I can heat the spa from solar or gas or a combo.

Pool heaters are a very expensive piece of equipment to run even on natural gas.

Where exactly do you live.

Had i to do it all over again Id have put in an automation system variable speed pump and solar much 20 years ago as its the key to an enjoyable pool. A cold pool sucks and you wont use it no matter how hard you try to convince yourself otherwise.

Chlorinators have ups and downs - maintaining the cell especially in an area with hard water makes the cell short lived - I went back to liquid chlorine.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
In ground pool and spa here in Mesa. Have a natural gas Raypak heater that can heat the pool but we only use it to heat the spa/cuzzi. Pool has Baja Shelf which is nice. Pool was chlorine but we've changed over to salt system (personal preference).

If you're doing jacuzzi and pool be sure to get enough jets where you want them and a separate pump to run them (can get used as people are still dumping good pumps from their pools to go to variable speed pumps). With jacuzzi go for the smart phone (automation) controller - not as spendy as a retrofit install.

grumpy88

Reaction score
Baja shelf , make the spa extra large . In my opinion it can never be big enough . The deck jets we did were expensive and a waste of money . We like our bubblers but really like the fire/water bowls . I dont think i would do pebble again and we dont do anything athletic in the pool . We heated our pool for a weekend . It took 2 days to go from 50 to 87 degrees and the pool is around 23k gallons .

DWC

Reaction score
Absolutely go with a heater and spa. Makes it possible to enjoy it year round Very rarely heat the pool but use the spa almost every weekend. My neighbor built 2 in the last 10 years First one didn’t have a heater/spa. They moved and cut other stuff out of the budget to make sure they had one this time

Reactions: DLC

DLC

Reaction score
You loose all your heat build up at night, so you have to have a cover to keep the heat in the water, the blue bubble covers last about 2 years and start again, once the bubble pop it’s just a sheet of plastic, a roller reel is the best way to maintain the cover and store it when it’s not on the water. The shape of the pool plays a roll in the cover.

built in covers would be worth looking into, not sure how long they last

DLC

Reaction score
Above ground spas are a good substitute, they maintain the temp 24/7 so you can go in for 5 minutes anytime of the day.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score

We have one on the house in havasu and will use it when there for Thanksgiving, that the only time the heater gets used. You can sit and watch the gas meter spin like the fuckin wheel of fortune got pulled by a meth addict. Usually runs us around $100-150 to heat it that week. It takes a solid 2-3 days to get it usable so 4 days of use really for that week.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
It wasn't in your list of questions, but DEFINATELY get...

An automated control system. I have a Jandy. It's probably fifteen years old now? Still works great. Runs my pool and yard lighting as well.

Variable speed pump for circulation and a separate single speed pump for the spa jets.

Plumb the pool sweep separately, inside the pool.

Last edited:

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
Super size the Baja Shelf.
In floor cleaning.
Salt water.
Plumb an extra suction line and if you want to add a heater do solar powered pump through solar panels.
You can also plumb the solar heater through an electric heat pump to help bring the pool to temp in the winter but best of all it will chill the water in the summer too.
Standalone Spa so you have therapy jets that actually work and keep the spa hot year round.
Much cheaper for pool and spa all the way around.
:D

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
a suction line and if you want to add a heater do solar powered pump through solar panels.
You can also plumb the solar heater through an electric heat pump to help bring the pool to temp in the winter but best of all it will chill the water in the summer too.

HotSpotEnergy.com makes these

kurtis500

Reaction score
you guys are the best! Keep it coming. Im printing this out

Motor Boater

Reaction score
Our friends have a heater and never use it. Hell the kids jump in all year almost. I like the pop up cleaners so you don’t have the hose and vacuum deal in the pool. I’m not a jacuzzi guy but I know some people love them and use them frequently. Get a Baja shelf.

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The dig for our pool won't begin for another 2-3 weeks (super just released excavation today), but I can tell you that we didn't opt for a heater. Ours will be a shallow pool, only 3.5 to 5', and our last pool was warm by the end of May through September with that shallow depth. Our pebble isn't dark, but more of a medium color and that will help warm it as well. We didn't get a spa, but did a large baja shelf and lots of seating benches all around.

Sent from my Note 10+ using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
We are socal. Gas heater was the best money we ever spent. We are in the spa 3+ times a week. Will use it once maybe twice this spring once it starts heating up at night to warm up the pool to kick start the season. We also have a solar cover but I don't like using it with the kids.

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
Super size the Baja Shelf.
In floor cleaning.
Salt water.
Plumb an extra suction line and if you want to add a heater do solar powered pump through solar panels.
Standalone Spa so you have therapy jets that actually work and keep the spa hot year round.
Much cheaper for pool and spa all the way around.
:D
I agree with all of this. Ran a line for solar heat to the top of our outdoor kitchen area. It works off of our variable speed pump, though. Did an above ground jacuzzi near the master bedroom and use it all the time. They are way, way more comfortable and stays heated all winter with very little cost. We did salt and will never do another non-salt system. Everyone loves it. Also did in floor pool cleaning system. Almost zero maintenance/cleaning. 3.5-5 ft deep. We did a light blue, near white quartz with blue flake. If I were to change anything, I’d do a little darker blue to give it a little more color. In Mesa.

Warlock1

Reaction score
We built our pool for adult entertainment and with that:
Huge baja shelf is a must
Built in bar
I think the deepest part was 4 or 4 and a half feet deep.
2 Variable speed pumps. 1 for the pool and 1 for the waterfall
lots of electrical outlets around the pool for various things
Pre plumbed and pre wired for high pressure misting system
Latest technology you can get for pool control. Everything was controlled by our phones
NO SPA. We had a hot tub that was always at 95 degrees and had 45 jets and was comfortable, All things the built in spas do not have
We wish we would have done a gas fire place and seating area around the pool
Definitely do the heater. Size it one larger than you think you will need
Get a good solar blanket, cut it to fit and then cut it in half leaving the baja shelf exposed. The wife would have an easier time just removing that section so she could enjoy the shelf
Javelina-76.jpg
Javelina-80.jpg
Javelina-87.jpg

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Tip 572...

Do not use dark coping or decking! That shit gets Way too hot.

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
it's just the blue bubble stuff and a bit of a PITA with our freeform pool shape
I have a friend who made squares 6x6...4x4.... 4x6 sizes of PVC pipe and “wrapped” them in the blue bubble stuff.... easy to take out, easy to store in a spot in his havasu garage.... stores them during summer.
Float them in the pool, but no rolling, gathering it all out...

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
When the wife designed ours she most definitely wanted NO higher than 4" steps going into and out of the pool. Many thought she was nuts but she kept on saying "think old, drunk people". The gunite guy had her right at the entrance to the pool to make sure they were done to her liking. That whole crew thought she was nut's but, oh how she was right. They are very comfy and not one person has said WTF are these baby steps. Yes, you younger guys are going to grow old also!!! 😁
A big baja shelf and a seat on each side of the pool, more for safety than anything else.

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
Step 1: rattle can a design in your backyard.
Step 2: acquire kid with shovel an kid with bucket and low minimum wage.
Step 3: establish shade and cooler of drinks.
Step 4: sit in shade and establish dominance of your subjects by pointing and shouting orders to dig.
Step 5: fill with water once desired effect is achieved.
Step 6: move shade and cooler to water and enjoy. 😁

GOTTBoat

Reaction score
Havasu here, solar heat extends swimming season a couple months but there are still months where it is too cool for me. Pool cooler is the only thing that makes the pool useable in the middle of summer, company is in Phoenix. I only heat the spa with the propane heater, preheat the spa only with the solar during the afternoon cuts down on time propane heater take to get hot by quite a bit.

Riverhound

Reaction score
We are wrapping up a build in Tucson right now. We opted not to go with a spa this time around as it wasn't used much in our other pools and adds a ton of cost to the build. We did a 3.6ft to 5ft with a big baja shelf and seating almost all the way around. Also, put the biggest residential heater I could get so its usable all year round. Automation is a must, makes it so much easier to manage. We also put 3 lights in it, i wanted the damn thing to glow at night! LOL. We went with a dark blue pebble and didnt put any tile on the steps, we wanted a clean simple look.
31253A24-98FA-44E0-97C3-2406CA4C223E_1_105_c.jpeg
9C0D9507-AE57-495A-84C4-53C44CC16B53_1_105_c.jpeg

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
3.6ft? You just had to be different. 😂

Pool looks great too!

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
You loose all your heat build up at night, so you have to have a cover to keep the heat in the water, the blue bubble covers last about 2 years and start again, once the bubble pop it’s just a sheet of plastic, a roller reel is the best way to maintain the cover and store it when it’s not on the water. The shape of the pool plays a roll in the cover.

built in covers would be worth looking into, not sure how long they last

Our built in cover is over 20 years on the mechanicals. The vinyl top lasts about 8 years. The darker colors don't last as long as the lighter tones. But it is a substantial product. The Heavy vinyl top also serves to heat the water. It can be 100* for the first 8 inches. You have to stir the water up to even out the temps. My chlorine use is negligible since we typically only open it up to use it.

DLC

Reaction score
What are the Pro / con on fiberglass drop in pools?

to me they look funky around the coping / edges.

anything else?

rrrr

Reaction score
We have one on the house in havasu and will use it when there for Thanksgiving, that the only time the heater gets used. You can sit and watch the gas meter spin like the fuckin wheel of fortune got pulled by a meth addict.

😁

grumpy88

Reaction score
What are the Pro / con on fiberglass drop in pools?

to me they look funky around the coping / edges.

anything else?
My friend has 2 and has zero problems with them . They are not much cheaper though when i did my shopping .

Reactions: DLC

FasterBae

Reaction score
Never understood if your going to build the pool why not add the spa for resale (inground)? As a contractor the cost difference if already in production isn’t huge (in comparison)

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Never understood if your going to build the pool why not add the spa for resale (inground)? As a contractor the cost difference if already in production isn’t huge (in comparison)

If we ever build a pool again...ill never have a spa again..we never use it, and its dead space. Other than my one dog chilling on the bench occasionally in the summer in it I can't think of anyone who has ever used it.

Brobee

Reaction score
New build from SWB. It’s 3.5-6.5-4.5. Lots of bench seating and the two tables allow for good amount of shade. Obviously no spa, we don’t have natural gas or propane. We went with a blue quartz finish and one large led light.
I will add my recommendation that you go with the large led light versus multiple small lights. I have the small pentair lights in our CA pool and I’ve had to replace them all at least once in the 8 years since we’ve built it. SWB uses the large ones for that reason. I guess time will tell on how long they last.
My wife talked me into the diamonds on the steps and benches. I talked her into the turtles. It’s supposed to be us and our two boys. They each picked out their own.

IMG_3300.jpg

IMG_2963.jpg

IMG_3426.jpg

IMG_3428.jpg

060C706F-77DD-418C-B773-3F1DC623CD03.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grumpy88

Reaction score
I should of saved the money and kept our old pool ,
82860.jpeg