WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

AZ street legal dirtbike in Ca?

Your ad here

Reaction score
I have a CR250 I'm thinking about dual sporting here in AZ. Big question is if I have a street legal dirt bike with AZ plate is it legal to ride in CA on the street? If not, what is needed to make it legal in CA? Turn signals required in CA?

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I have a az played cr80 I ride around. Not sure if it’s legal or not I usually am just cruising the neighborhood

kiethco

Reaction score
Technically no, unless you have an AZ drivers license. What it really comes down to is how you ride and if you draw attention to yourself. I've never been pulled over nor has anyone I ride with and our shit looks pretty rag tag at times. I have seen loud bikes with riders doing wheelies get much unwanted attention, the plate doesn't matter. If a LEO wants to eff with you the plate will be just one of the issues most Dualsporters have. Tires, distance between blinkers, mirrors, horns and more. Your riding will be the biggest factor.
I wouldn't sweat it.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Im thinking about a KTM 300, but no dual sport option for it in CA.

I was told if Someone I know in AZ bought one, put a kit on it and kept it in AZ for at least a year. ...

Then I could buy it from said person, and bring it to Ca legally.

Anyone ever tried this?

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score

I was told if Someone I know in AZ bought one, put a kit on it and kept it in AZ for at least a year. ...

Anyone ever tried this?

Or you could buy mine. ;)

kiethco

Reaction score

Anyone ever tried this?

kiethco

Reaction score
To bring it in to ca it has to have 3500 or 7500 miles on the odometer. You'll also need emission sticker or a lazy dmv person. I have a Honda 650 speedo unit, stickers you can find. Just buy a KTM 350 exc in ca. Beta worth a look too.

Your ad here

Reaction score
Technically no, unless you have an AZ drivers license. What it really comes down to is how you ride and if you draw attention to yourself. I've never been pulled over nor has anyone I ride with and our shit looks pretty rag tag at times. I have seen loud bikes with riders doing wheelies get much unwanted attention, the plate doesn't matter. If a LEO wants to eff with you the plate will be just one of the issues most Dualsporters have. Tires, distance between blinkers, mirrors, horns and more. Your riding will be the biggest factor.
I wouldn't sweat it.
I am an Az resident with an Az DL. Reason I ask about Ca is because we still do a lot of riding at Ocotillo and Johnson Valley. What I'm going for is to be able to ride in the area's that require a street legal plate and some paved roads. Just need to make sure the Az plate is good to go in Ca. I'm wanting to think there is a catch like there is with street legal SXS's but dual sport bikes fall in a different category.

DLC

Reaction score
Why do you need an AZ DL? I Would think a AZ ID work and a CA dL.... as long as the addresses match on the ID and the registration.....

kiethco

Reaction score
I am an Az resident with an Az DL. Reason I ask about Ca is because we still do a lot of riding at Ocotillo and Johnson Valley. What I'm going for is to be able to ride in the area's that require a street legal plate and some paved roads. Just need to make sure the Az plate is good to go in Ca. I'm wanting to think there is a catch like there is with street legal SXS's but dual sport bikes fall in a different category.

Lavey5150

Just one more
Reaction score
I rode my Plated AZ KTM ( by no means street legal ) 505 XCF here in taxifornia for 9 years.Never had a hassle.I thing the fact it was orange helped, and I always waved at cops when I wheelied past them:)

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
If you have AZ plates and AZDL you can ride wherever you please on the streets in CA. Just like driving your car.

Your ad here

Reaction score
Update. Bike is a legitimate registered and insured street legal 2 stroke. Took some time and had some setbacks with the stator and bearings on the CRF250X clamps. The process, I started with a stock low hour 2003 CR250. Parts I ordered were Honda headlight front number plate, CRF250X triple clamps from ebay, Baja Designs led light, random rear light with plate holder, rear fender, stator, horn, brake switch, mirror, and switches. The CRF250X clamps bolted right in place of the stock ones and reused the CR forks. In order to fit the led headlight I move the neck mounted CDI to under the seat and had to shave some of the fins on the light to clear the neck. I ordered a replacement rear fender to mount the rear light. I couldn't drill the factory one. Installed new fender and mount light. I need at least 1 brake switch. I used a hydraulic sensor on the rear brake. It's a replacement bolt with a sensor with wires on top. I used a Ricky Stator to power the lights and horn. Be careful when ordering. They offer a stock replacement and the lighting stator. I learned the hard way. Since the bike is an 03 it already has a rectifier for the power valve so I can tap into the stock harness for 12 volts. I wired it myself and used a headlight switch for the lights and a red colored kill switch for the horn. The horn is mounted on the upper clamp. When everything is done you call ArizonaKevin and get it insured. Now it's ready. Big drive for doing this was because it's simple in AZ and majority of the people I ride with got SXS's and they are plated for street and they go on the road often when out for a ride. (They carry premix for me) I'm about $500 into this. The stator was the biggest cost at $220. I took it out today with the gps and cruises at 45mph on stock gearing. Good enough for me and getting to Cave Creek for a beverage. I rode it at Ocotillo for Tierra del Sol weekend. Got the light adjusted and it is bright. Rode from Pole Line to Blow Sand and had good visibility. It lit up San Felipe wash well. There was some things to address. The horn fell off it's own mount and the rear tire caught the license plate. I've bent it back 3 times now.
20190119_153653.jpg
20190202_131701.jpg
20190202_152300.jpg
20190217_170110.jpg
20190301_174355.jpg
20190301_174458.jpg
20190313_174754.jpg
20190313_174809.jpg
20190313_175406.jpg

DLC

Reaction score
Im going to do the same thing, I already have most of the parts.
Bike is a 96 cr250 last of the steel frame, wide ratio trans, Olin’s rear shock, stator and a big tank.... oh and a new pair of boots to start it

thmterry

Reaction score
FYI I was told to be street legal you had to have 2 mirrors if you ride in California.

Last edited:

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
FYI I was told to be street legal you had to have 2 mirrors if you ride in California.

Just a fix-it ticket if ya have only one.
Kinda "your responsibility" deal.
Should have a working head and tail lights too. If not, just a fix-it ticket.

Dan'l

Tank

Reaction score
A non-resident vehicle may be operated in California without registering the vehicle in California provided that the vehicle is registered in another jurisdiction (state).
A non-resident vehicle must be registered in California if the vehicle is based in California or primarily used in California; a vehicle is considered to be primarily used in California if it is operated or located in the state for a greater amount of time than it is located or operated in any other jurisdiction (IE your motorcycle needs to be in AZ for 6 months and 1 day out of the year per the law).

You do not have to have an AZ driver's license or ID card. Registration of the vehicle with your AZ address and your name on the registration is fine.

Oh, and per section 26709(a) of the Ca. Vehicle Code you only need one mirror for your M/C.

I will say though that Cal legislation is hot on the topic of out of state reg., mostly to avoid Ca. fees. CHP even has a "cheaters" hotline and reporting page for people to anonymously report their neighbors or people they see driving around routinely with out of state plates. So, don't be surprised if you get stopped. But as long as you know the law and regulations (as stated above), you'll be fine.

Reactions: DLC